Corona

simo

8 hours ago, Metal T said:

I completely understand why 'Geoff'  feels like he does.The whole over-reaction to the Covid down there was mind-blowing.Whenever I see a person or people start losing their freedoms and the ensuing government overreach....I wanna tear someone's throat out.Once you start losing your civil liberties and freedoms it can often be d@mn near impossible to ever get them back - outside of major revolution.

I too completely understand why he feels like he does 'now' - the continuing reaction there is stupid. Australia was very late in their vaccination roll out mainly because they bought into Astra Zenica scaremongering. Their own fault. But now everyone is vaccinated they should open up. 💯

What I cant stomach is the continual trivialisation of the virus and the criticism of the people who locked us down in the first place. You know the whole history will look back and see that what we did was all wrong and label the people in government a bunch of cunts.

Or were you completely happy with 3000 people dying a day in the US? Geoffs mentality is it was a minor inconvenience for a few days and we all should have just cracked on 🤔

I wonder how that would have panned out in the US & UK, before the vaccines and with much more Lethal variants?

4 hours ago, Glen said:

I too completely understand why he feels like he does 'now' - the continuing reaction there is stupid. Australia was very late in their vaccination roll out mainly because they bought into Astra Zenica scaremongering. Their own fault. But now everyone is vaccinated they should open up. 💯

What I cant stomach is the continual trivialisation of the virus and the criticism of the people who locked us down in the first place. You know the whole history will look back and see that what we did was all wrong and label the people in government a bunch of cunts.

Or were you completely happy with 3000 people dying a day in the US? Geoffs mentality is it was a minor inconvenience for a few days and we all should have just cracked on 🤔

I wonder how that would have panned out in the US & UK, before the vaccines and with much more Lethal variants?

The natural evolution of viruses like this is that they generally become weaker as time goes on.
Killing the host is counter productive, so the virus learns to not be as deadly.
Latest variants have reflected this.
In the end this is effectively a flu virus, but animal based rather than human based.

For the record, Australia is pretty much completely open.
Main restirction is masks on public transport.
I went into the city over the weekend, and maybe 40 to 50% of people were wearing masks, even though it's mandated.
Aside from that, hopsitals, and aged care facilities etc require masks, but I'm sure that's the samein most countries.
We can travel anywhere and return with no quarantine etc, biggest issues there are other countries.
We were looking at taking our family to Japan in December, but they have just opened up to organised tour groups only, so still have a long way to go.
I am desperate to get back to China, but still 2 or 3 weeks quarrantine on arrival there.
Other countries have other varied restirctions.

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 7/10/2022 at 8:45 PM, AlphaMale said:

Don't be silly. Those numbers are VERY tainted. Say you got hit my a car, and are taken to the hospital and don't make it. You were tested for covid in the ER and tested positive. Guess what? You're a covid death.

Total bullshit. Heard it straight from a head nurse (ex-girlfriend) that it was all a money thing. More money for covid deaths. No matter the cause of death, it is covid!

Sorry but my niece is a doctor-as previously stated in charge of a covid wing in a NYC hospital April 2020.

Doctors are not falsifying death certificates !!

I can't believe that I am still seeing the following: people walking down the street alone with mask on, people driving alone in the car with mask on, and people reoving mask to cough and or sneeze and then mask back on. WTF

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I can't believe that I am still seeing the following: people walking down the street alone with mask on, people driving alone in the car with mask on, and people reoving mask to cough and or sneeze and then mask back on. WTF

They are not the heroes we want, but they are the ones we deserve.

15 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I should not have to explain that there are a shitload of stupid people in the world so this should not be surprising....what is scary is that they are everywhere and could be literally anyone....

• 2 weeks later...

I actually stopped reading this thread when I went away a couple of weeks ago and can't be fucked to go back over it and see CTS's inane babble, but I had to comment on this one. The footy went overtime today and the news headlines followed right after the final whistle and I was treated to this news-

The army is being sent into nursing homes due to the covid crisis outbreaks. I actually laughed aloud before I wanted to burn this country to the ground. How is this place honestly not just the dumbest country on the planet? 

I couldn't resist so I looked at the story and it mentioned 6000+ cases in nursing homes and 3000+ staff off work because they have covid. No comment whatsoever on hospitalisations or deaths... still just cases. As if there's some kind of scenario now where there won't be cases? What is the realistic expectation of these braindead fucks? Is there still some kind of smashbrain belief that covid is going to disappear?

Luckily I don't know anyone, personally like CTS, and people I communicate with also experience this twilight zone-like sensation, wondering how is any of this actually real? What has happened to people's minds? Or were they always this fucked up and covid has been the loudspeaker to scream it to all around?  

Hopefully the army can go in and kill all the covid so it'll all be over soon. What a fucking joke. 

Blows my mind to pieces how this thing is being dragged out down here. 

I assume the army are going in to cover for the 3000 staff who are off.

but as usual your own over reaction is actually the laughable thing 

4 hours ago, Glen said:

I assume the army are going in to cover for the 3000 staff who are off.

but as usual your own over reaction is actually the laughable thing 

Please tell me you're taking the piss. You thought I thought the army were going in armed, opening fire on covid? 

My overreaction? You don't think sending the army into nursing homes is an overreaction? Are they doing this in your country? 

Why is anyone, anywhere, still being tested for covid? Why are 3000 people not working? How long do we go on like this? 

Most importantly, why isn't this ridiculous to you? Once again, I can only assume you've missed the point entirely. :(

3 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Please tell me you're taking the piss. You thought I thought the army were going in armed, opening fire on covid? 

My overreaction? You don't think sending the army into nursing homes is an overreaction? Are they doing this in your country? 

Why is anyone, anywhere, still being tested for covid? Why are 3000 people not working? How long do we go on like this? 

Most importantly, why isn't this ridiculous to you? Once again, I can only assume you've missed the point entirely. :(

Hey Geoff I know where you are coming from, but to put a different slant on it, the other night they showed a series of pictures of every recent death in Australia. Everyone was someone over at least 70, probably older tbh. Zero under this age group. So, the sector that should still be concerned about covid IS aged care. It makes sense that aged care should be extra careful as that is the only place really where risk is very high. But agree about every other sector in society.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Geoff said:

If you have covid you should not be working in health care anywhere let alone around those in the most danger of getting seriously ill like the elderly so who is supposed to take the place of the health care workers off sick until they can return? Considering the state of most health care systems, the only people available to help short term are nurses and doctors from the army....so not ridiculous at all and yes it happened here in Canada as well.... 

• Like 1

2 intelligent posts. ^^^^

& yes obviously THE most vulnerable place still is care homes.

Many care homes in the UK were decimated by covid.

But then Geoff and only ever thought this virus is a minor inconvenience. 

In the UK I think care homes is still the only place that masks are mandated. 

& 3000 are still not working because you feel like shit if you got it. My wife & I have just got over it and we took 4 days off. You do feel pretty shit (even vaccinated which lessons it) and very tired for at least a week. Plus these people are carers - which means I very much doubt they want to pass the virus to their patients ;)

So we've just conceded this is permanent now? The vaccines mean nothing, and we will live out the rest of our lives in fear of covid, despite the vaccinations... yet, even though, by this logic, the vaccines obviously don't work too well, we still get booster after booster rammed down our throats. 

I understand your concerns, if it was 2020. I just don't think people understand what they're proposing for the future. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the rest of time, someone with covid will not be able to work in aged care? For the rest of time, there will be 3000 odd employees in a state sitting at home with covid, unable to work? Despite their symptoms or lack thereof?

I know we all want to be PC but I can't not look at this logically. I honestly do not understand the point of the vaccines if they don't change anything about how the virus is faced? To me, it seems that the vaccine is only there to make some people allegedly have slightly lesser symptoms if they get covid. And that's it. It doesn't stop any spreading or permit a return to some sort of normal life, so really, what was the point and all the fuss?  

For the record, I visit about a dozen or more nursing homes a day for work so I'm not speaking about a scenario I am in any way detached from. 

But fair enough, this forum is clearly not the place to discuss such things. Forget everything we've done for every single year of our lives until now when it comes to respiratory illnesses, and let us all adopt the new covid-fearing norm. :(

7 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

If you have covid you should not be working in health care anywhere let alone around those in the most danger of getting seriously ill like the elderly so who is supposed to take the place of the health care workers off sick until they can return? Considering the state of most health care systems, the only people available to help short term are nurses and doctors from the army....so not ridiculous at all and yes it happened here in Canada as well.... 

To be fair, far as I can tell, Canada have been as over-the-top as Australia and NZ through it all so that doesn't surprise me. 

Edited by Geoff

typically stupid response.

Do you know anything about the vaccines or vaccines in general?

Vaccines provide temporary protection, after which the body “forgets” how to make certain antibodies. In this case, doctors recommend getting a booster jab dose, which is a follow-up dose designed to boost or renew the protection the person gained from an earlier vaccine.

So for example if the astra vaccine was 80% effective it would afford a decent level of protection against getting it but youd still have a 20% chance. It would also lesson symptoms as well.

But protection can wane over time - drastically - so makes sense for the most vulnerable to get a booster - in the UK that is deemed as people over 50.

And yes I would imagine that safety protocols within care homes are not a new thing. I would think that the same would be true for flu and you would absolutely keep away from work in a care home if you had flu - also all care home residents would receive their flu jab every year without fail. 

Im failing to understand what part of all this is confusing you. 😕 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Glen said:

typically stupid response.

Do you know anything about the vaccines or vaccines in general?

Vaccines provide temporary protection, after which the body “forgets” how to make certain antibodies. In this case, doctors recommend getting a booster jab dose, which is a follow-up dose designed to boost or renew the protection the person gained from an earlier vaccine.

So for example if the astra vaccine was 80% effective it would afford a decent level of protection against getting it but youd still have a 20% chance. It would also lesson symptoms as well.

But protection can wane over time - drastically - so makes sense for the most vulnerable to get a booster - in the UK that is deemed as people over 50.

And yes I would imagine that safety protocols within care homes are not a new thing. I would think that the same would be true for flu and you would absolutely keep away from work in a care home if you had flu - also all care home residents would receive their flu jab every year without fail. 

Im failing to understand what part of all this is confusing you. 😕 

The only confusion I have is in getting what I think is the most obvious point in the world across. And I admit this is my fault, but all this is like asking someone to dissect all the reasons the sky is blue. It's so clear to me, but I guess impossible to get the point across. 

So, taking in all you said that, why every thing else? You've, again, completely side-swiped the point. So, you've all got your vaccines - and my point has nothing to do with how many vaccines and percentages of effectiveness etc. I am merely pointing out, that if nothing is different from the time before there was a vaccine, to what it is now, with the vaccine, what really is the actual point in it all? If you walk into a nursing home today, compared to 2020, it is actually a worse situation. But this isn't a vaccine argument again, which you always love to make it. I don't actually care who and why anyone takes the vaccine... what I care is that the mindset never changes, regardless of how hellbent everyone is on the vaccine. 

All I hear is about is the crisis' everywhere. Everything is a crisis. It's the aged care crisis, but there is no crisis in aged care. The crisis is still labelling everything a crisis. They're creating a gigantic problem which is completely their own doing. It's insanity. 

Like you say, as was my point, the world kept spinning with the flu and flu jabs in nursing homes. There wasn't this constant drama and panic... I know because I've been there for the past 10 years. You keep feeding this narrative that covid - in a fully vaccinated world, as with the flu - still needs it's own set of rules, when they weren't required before. I know you still think it'll kill us all, but whether you like it or not, covid is and was always going to be like, effectively, a new strain of the flu, or common cold in most cases, that we surely, for the love or christ, must accept as this. You can't keep it on this pedestal for eternity, surely? When do you just accept it for what it is?  

Nursing homes are horrible places - always were, still are... but they are 100% worse than they were three years ago. 100%. This has 0 to do with actual covid itself, and 100% to do with how covid is "managed." Staff and residents and certainly loved ones of residents are, by the stretch of the planet, the most miserable I have ever seen them. Again, the "cure" is far worse than the disease. 

I don't know if you guys ever watch that Dr John Campbell guy, who is a bit of a covid junkie. But I'll borrow his analogy for what is going on in China and apply it to this scenario. This is all like trying to stop the incoming tide. It is not possible. Covid is amongst us and will not exit, ever. 

All this fucking around trying to stop or slow something which can't be stopped or slowed, it is so mind numbing to watch, and more mind numbing is how conditioned everyone is to just constantly accepting it as the "right thing to do." 

Been saying this constantly, but you remove all these insane rules and restrictions tomorrow, and what do you honestly believe changes tomorrow and the weeks and months that follow? 

Auslander mentioned above that the majority of deaths of people with covid come from the older age groups, which is has been from the start, and always will be. But, unfortunate as it is, this is relative. It's microscope covid analysis, and it fails to mention the countless other - and far greater in volume - ways in which older people sadly pass, but there is absolutely none of the circus around these far greater numbers. It's still all just about covid. 

Anyway, too frustrating. The sky is blue - just look at the fucking thing. I don't understand why it's not just that simple. 

remove what insane rules & restrictions? There aren't any. Again I think you are labelling what is maybe happening in Australia on the whole world?? 

What is happening in Australia? CTS basically said there are no restrictions?? Apart from the odd mask wearing here and there. What exactly are you blabbing on about?? 

No one is living in fear cos everyone is doing whatever the fuck they like - well they are in the UK anyway. 

Again, I have no idea what you are going on about - you posted about how you couldn't believe the army had gone into care homes and we explained that you. 3000 people are feelin like shit for a week with covid and there is no fucker to look after the oldies. I am sure in a fortnight it will be back to normal.

Stop over dramatising everything and claiming everyone is afraid.

We've all moved on - you should try that too. 

3 hours ago, Glen said:

remove what insane rules & restrictions? There aren't any. Again I think you are labelling what is maybe happening in Australia on the whole world?? 

What is happening in Australia? CTS basically said there are no restrictions?? Apart from the odd mask wearing here and there. What exactly are you blabbing on about?? 

No one is living in fear cos everyone is doing whatever the fuck they like - well they are in the UK anyway. 

Again, I have no idea what you are going on about - you posted about how you couldn't believe the army had gone into care homes and we explained that you. 3000 people are feelin like shit for a week with covid and there is no fucker to look after the oldies. I am sure in a fortnight it will be back to normal.

Stop over dramatising everything and claiming everyone is afraid.

We've all moved on - you should try that too. 

My poor simple, simple little friend. Have I honestly not made it clear that I am an Australian citizen in Australia commenting on what is happening around me in Australia... and even NSW, specifically? How have you not understood this? When did I talk about the rest of the world? Haven't I been extremely clear on how moronic I find what is happening in Australia, specifically, compared to the rest of the world? Surely, surely you have some level of comprehension in there, somewhere? 

There aren't any rules and restrictions? Thank christ, so I'm imagining everything. What a relief. Just quickly, before I go, what's this website?

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/stay-safe/rules

I love how you apparently don't live in fear of covid, yet you spend all this time here chastising me for not fearing it more. I have a fear that I will have a heart attack in a remote location one day because I hate people and I like being in nature far away from people. I seriously think that's how I'll go. I have a very genuine concern about how my children will ever be able to afford to buy a home when they're of age. What I definitely do not fear, in any way, is covid. What is so hard about you accepting that you fear covid? You can't honestly look back over your posts in this thread and deny that. You guys aren't lined up for booster shots for something you don't care about? If not for fear, why do so many people still wear masks? Why can't you accept this? I have fears that do no include covid, you have fears that do include covid. It shouldn't be an issue, other than that you feel the need to inflict this fear onto everyone else.  

What am I on about? The thing you just replied to, four times. Did you miss that somehow? 

Everything will be back to normal in a fortnight? You absolute gump, lol. Didn't they say that in March 2020?

What is over-dramatised? I'd have thought sending defence personnel into nursing homes because people have a cold is a bit overly dramatic. 

You've moved on? So why are you here, in this thread? Have you noticed that every single post I have made in this thread is about my desire to move on, and my disbelief at the inability of others to do so? And every time I make this point, you are here to bombard me with a wall of words on how dreadful covid is and how lightly I take it. Do you see no irony there?

Nothing in the world would make me happier than to have nothing to say in this thread, but as a train commuter to a job in pathology, my week day is filled with covid restrictions from 7:50am when I step onto a train station, until 5:00pm when I step off the train platform. That is 45 hours a week of covid panic shoved in my face. If you don't have to deal with that, I am absolutely delighted for you, and thank goodness you're not making my posts. But I am posting based on what I see, personally, day in and day out. Being you sounds perfect, so if I could I surely would, but, amazingly, I am not actually you. 

I never requested your input in this discussion, cob, and if you'd have moved on like you say, I assume you'd have not been compelled to add your input?

Here, I made a simple post about something that I find absolutely ridiculous that is happening in NSW in 2022. Anyone who has moved on from covid would undoubtedly agree with me and there'd be none of this. Instead, those that have apparently moved on from covid, are telling me how bad it all is and all these rules and restrictions and insane acts are completely justified.

It is really simple. If we'd moved on from covid, there'd be no tests, no armies in nursing homes, no masks, no enforced isolations based on a test result, none of anything to talk about in this thread. We couldn't be having this discussion if people had moved on. 

In a nutshell, I have repeatedly said that covid should be treated as a common flu / cold, which we have lived alongside for my entire life. You, say the opposite, but then tell me I don't want to move on and that we should continue with treating it like it's more than it is. You are a sitting, typing, complete contradiction. 

so you work in pathology, which I assume means you are in or about the most vulnerable in society all week around. And you still moan about a few restrictions. I think you're gonna have to just suck it up mate ;)

Edited by Glen

And stop telling other people we are living in fear when we are just trying to explain to a simpleton why yr government have sent the army into nursing homes. 

I know you'll reply to this with a 1000 word essay telling me that I'm cowering in fear from covid and that's it ruling my life but if you actually bothered to read this thread you'll know that my whole family have just had it.

so 🖕

Edited by Glen

2 hours ago, Glen said:

so you work in pathology, which I assume means you are in or about the most vulnerable in society all week around. And you still moan about a few restrictions. I think you're gonna have to just suck it up mate ;)

The fully vaccinated vulnerable around other vaccinated people? And were they not vulnerable to the flu before? Why no restrictions then? Why do I have to suck up newfound idiocy?

I'd also love to have it explained to me why someone sitting in a doctor's surgery for a nosebleed or a sore wrist is supposedly more vulnerable to covid than everyone else in other confined rooms where there are no restrictions. 

2 hours ago, Glen said:

And stop telling other people we are living in fear when we are just trying to explain to a simpleton why yr government have sent the army into nursing homes. 

I know you'll reply to this with a 1000 word essay telling me that I'm cowering in fear from covid and that's it ruling my life but if you actually bothered to read this thread you'll know that my whole family have just had it.

so 🖕

Well then you're the bravest person I know, because aren't you the guy who when - every single time without fail - I try to point out how proportionally harmless covid is to 99% of people, you insist on telling me how immensely deadly and all consuming it is? Apologies if I have the wrong guy. 

I'm afraid we won't ever move on because covid is here to stay. But thankfully, compared to 2020 and 2021, the so-called "health experts" aren't running the show anymore, and as every government except NSW is basically Labor, the media aren't being so critical and blowing everything up (except the ABC of course). Now, instead of mandates, people are "encouraged" to wear masks. Good, cause I won't. 

I sympathise with you Geoff where you work in an industry that is still over the top, but I am lucky cause I don't. I went grocery shopping today in a large Victorian town and didn't see a single mask wearer. Even last week I'd spot 3 or 4 nutters with masks, but today: zero. One thong though, I have become habitual at using the free anti-bacterial dispensers when I leave the supermarket without even thinking about it. It's not really about covid though, more about all the grubs around who don't wash their hands after taking a shit. They are everywhere! And I'd rather avoid gastro...

4 minutes ago, auslander said:

I'm afraid we won't ever move on because covid is here to stay. But thankfully, compared to 2020 and 2021, the so-called "health experts" aren't running the show anymore, and as every government except NSW is basically Labor, the media aren't being so critical and blowing everything up (except the ABC of course). Now, instead of mandates, people are "encouraged" to wear masks. Good, cause I won't. 

I sympathise with you Geoff where you work in an industry that is still over the top, but I am lucky cause I don't. I went grocery shopping today in a large Victorian town and didn't see a single mask wearer. Even last week I'd spot 3 or 4 nutters with masks, but today: zero. One thong though, I have become habitual at using the free anti-bacterial dispensers when I leave the supermarket without even thinking about it. It's not really about covid though, more about all the grubs around who don't wash their hands after taking a shit. They are everywhere! And I'd rather avoid gastro...

That actually pleasantly surprises me about Victorians. Blows my mind a little, to be honest, compared to here. I also noticed it in a comment from CTS the other day about the trains, where he reckoned a relatively small percentage were wearing masks. Of course, I'm assuming it was a weekend and not a weekday. But still, I applaud Victorians if this is representative of the entire state. 

Is Sydney (at least in the parts I frequent), I'd say masks are back up on around 80-90% of faces everywhere, after maybe dropping down to around 70% or so a few weeks ago. But Sydney-siders are fucking mad for the things. Crowded spaces, open outdoor spaces and in cars - I wonder if NSW is the most stupified state in the country at the moment. 

I even noticed up the coast in Port Mac a few weeks ago that there's way more there than you'd think. Here on the Central Coast is already far better than Sydney - well under maybe around 40% or probably less wearing masks in shopping centres, and very few outdoors. But Sydney is an absolute cesspool of idiocy where they're just everywhere. I'd hope and assume it's maybe different on a weekend, but not during a working week.  

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

The fully vaccinated vulnerable around other vaccinated people? And were they not vulnerable to the flu before? Why no restrictions then? Why do I have to suck up newfound idiocy?

I'd also love to have it explained to me why someone sitting in a doctor's surgery for a nosebleed or a sore wrist is supposedly more vulnerable to covid than everyone else in other confined rooms where there are no restrictions. 

Well then you're the bravest person I know, because aren't you the guy who when - every single time without fail - I try to point out how proportionally harmless covid is to 99% of people, you insist on telling me how immensely deadly and all consuming it is? Apologies if I have the wrong guy. 

yep you have the wrong guy.

I've only told you through this entire thread that the UK suffered huge deaths before the vaccines so you should not trivialise what went before and that you get yr vaccine and move on.

Nothing more, nothing less

#stillnotlivinginfear

The continued over reaction (outside of hospitals / care homes) is pretty stupid though, I will agree.

Still wearing masks outside or in cars (lol) is madness and I have never condoned the wearing of masks. In my opinion it was always a flawed concept and never worked as the virus can enter through your eyes.

It certainly won't protect you from getting it and might possibly reduce the chances of you spreading it but not if you take it off to cough or sneeze like most morons do.

Anyway, I promise not to annoy you anymore Geoff as I get this is an aussie thread now so I'll let you guys crack on and moan amongst yourselves.

#ukisbest

47 minutes ago, Glen said:

The continued over reaction (outside of hospitals / care homes) is pretty stupid though, I will agree.

Still wearing masks outside or in cars (lol) is madness and I have never condoned the wearing of masks. In my opinion it was always a flawed concept and never worked as the virus can enter through your eyes.

It certainly won't protect you from getting it and might possibly reduce the chances of you spreading it but not if you take it off to cough or sneeze like most morons do.

Anyway, I promise not to annoy you anymore Geoff as I get this is an aussie thread now so I'll let you guys crack on and moan amongst yourselves.

#ukisbest

That's my main issue with the masks - people wear them for show, not for protection. I've never used this term and I promise to never, ever use it again, but I think this is what the term was actually designed for. All this mask wearing is purely, 100% complete virtue signalling. Yuck. I feel grotesque, but that is all it is and that's why it irritates me so much. It just makes me detest the whole mask wearing concept that bit more, as if that was humanly possible. 

It's funny, for those 45 hours of the week I mentioned before, I get 45 hours of looks of disdain as people look at me without my mask with utter contempt. I just hope that they see the contempt for them reflected in my eyes too. It's a beautiful, harmonious society we live in these days. So undivided. 

Anyway, if I can say one thing in slight defence of Australia - and I don't want to. I really hate what this place is at the moment. So this is not in defence of the place, but I will say one thing for you to consider. Remember it is winter here right now. I am assuming that's maybe, hopefully a big reason for the absolute idiocy all around me. I wouldn't bet 20c on it, but I'm hoping in summer, some of the idiocy finally peels back a little. And by the same token, I wonder if you see some of the idiocy return to the UK as winter comes back around, just to make that smirk on your face waver a bit. ;)