Roxy Blue - s/t

Stefan

Oh dear, sounds rough as dog testicles. Essentially, I don't mind it too much in a Buckcherry / Backyard Babies kind of way - in that it's probably better than both of those bands.

But what this has in common with, and why they needed to call this Roxy Blue - I couldn't think of an explanation in a million years. No one would associate the two bands ever, so why keep the name? 

triple post. :( Shitty piece of shit internet or whatever was the cause. 

Edited by Geoff

On 5/30/2019 at 10:41 AM, Geoff said:

Oh dear, sounds rough as dog testicles. Essentially, I don't mind it too much in a Buckcherry / Backyard Babies kind of way - in that it's probably better than both of those bands.

But what this has in common with, and why they needed to call this Roxy Blue - I couldn't think of an explanation in a million years. No one would associate the two bands ever, so why keep the name? 

LMAO....

I normally wouldn't judge too much based on one track but listened to 90 second samples of all songs on Japan I tunes and the rest is similar.  There's a couple more classic sounding tunes though....Collide for example sounds pretty good.

I've gotta say that I've softened my stance a bit after more listens to the samples.  Yes, it's the complete opposite of the spectrum from the debut....And it's not what I normally would like as it's missing big choruses, melodies, etc.  But I do have to say it rocks pretty good and is different than my normal stuff.  I at least may not totally dismiss this yet.  

I totally get anyone hating it though as I was surely there in posts above..  But the more I forget about the debut though and just approach this as a modern rock record, I don't mind it too much.

I don't know.  Maybe I'm just in the right mood as I type this.  

Edited by tts42572

I'm not sure why I was excited by the possibility of a new album. I didn't even like Want Some. The best songs on that album would have been filler on another bands CD. I think the band had potential. It's looking like they will never reach it.

As I said before (or think I did and cannot be bothered going back a page to check), it always worries me when the bands start saying stuff about new takes on the bands sound, or whatever generic blurb these bands use these days.

That said, I actually quite like that song. Granted it sounds fuck all like Roxy Blue and if you told me it was the same singer, I would call you a liar if I did not already know that.

I won't be rushing to buy this one (hell I have not even bought the last few they released either), which is a shame as the debut is an absolute stonker for me. And one of my faves of the genre.

• 4 weeks later...

A little bit more of a classic vibe to that one.

This is something that I'm almost surprised that I'm actually kinda liking.  Yeah, it really sounds nothing like Want Some era Roxy Blue and probably is an average tune by all accounts.  But for some reason I'm kinda liking it.  And that first song grew on me too. 

I don't know....Maybe it's been a slow year and I'm just desperate for some new music.  Or maybe it's just a bit different than the other stuff I'm listening to.   

1 hour ago, AlphaMale said:

Average. Still nothing like Roxy Blue.

Totally agree,this sounds just like a million other bands playin this type of almost grunge meets modern style,BIG NO from me on this one...don't even think ill be checking out any further soundbytes or otherwise of this drivel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lettard said:

Totally agree,this sounds just like a million other bands playin this type of almost grunge meets modern style,BIG NO from me on this one...don't even think ill be checking out any further soundbytes or otherwise of this drivel.

Agree completely. Close your eyes and that can be any other band playing this modern post-grunge drivel.

Not for me.

No need to close your eyes. With the blond hair and goatee, Poole kinda resembles Chad?

I fucking loved their debut! People love to say Want Some? was a perfect example of why the genre died/was killed off. I disagree completely.

I think they were literally the last band who got it exactly right. High energy, fun as hell, great sound, great look etc. No, they didn't reinvent the  genre but damn did they replicate it to perfection and put forth some kick ass sunset strip style bombast!

Like Geoff, I hear a little Buckcherry in the first single and maybe even latter day Warrior Soul. I like it but it is so different from Want.

I love this second single. Once again, not how we woulda expected a Want Some? follow up to sound but super catchy to these ears.

Download the 714 power ballad World Breaks Down if you want to hear Todd Poole a little closer to the Want Some? album. Great song.

11 hours ago, shamus said:

No need to close your eyes. With the blond hair and goatee, Poole kinda resembles Chad?

I fucking loved their debut! People love to say Want Some? was a perfect example of why the genre died/was killed off. I disagree completely.

I think they were literally the last band who got it exactly right. High energy, fun as hell, great sound, great look etc. No, they didn't reinvent the  genre but damn did they replicate it to perfection and put forth some kick ass sunset strip style bombast!

Like Geoff, I hear a little Buckcherry in the first single and maybe even latter day Warrior Soul. I like it but it is so different from Want.

I love this second single. Once again, not how we woulda expected a Want Some? follow up to sound but super catchy to these ears.

Download the 714 power ballad World Breaks Down if you want to hear Todd Poole a little closer to the Want Some? album. Great song.

Yeah...I loved that debut too and still play it from time to time. I suppose that's probably why I've given this new stuff more of a chance than maybe I would've if it were any other band.  I waited so long for another album from these guys that I really want to like it (I don't count those horrible FNA releases).  I do agree it's probably like a lot of modern rock bands but I don't listen to much of that style at all so to me this doesn't feel so worn out or overdone. 

I do wish they would've tried to stick closer to that 90's style with this new album but not going to hold it against them.  It has been almost 30 years.  On the plus side, at least they're still trying to rock unlike say Bon Jovi.  And if I want to listen to somebody doing that fun, big 80's sound....I can pop in Crazy Lixx, the Defiants, Midnite City,  H.e.a.t, etc.  

I get the negative comments and would expect that many here won't like it.  Honestly, a little surprised I came around on it myself after initially not liking the first single as it's a little outside my comfort zone for sure.

Every now and then there's stuff that others like in here that I scratch my head on and wonder why.  I guess this will be one of those for me :lol:

On 6/28/2019 at 10:58 AM, shamus said:

Haha... based all the commentary I expected this to be awful, but I agree with Shamus. Very nice tune. Yeah doesn't sound a think like Roxy Blue, but I like it plenty. I diggit. 

Below is a pretty good (and pretty long) interview with Todd Poole for anyone that wants to check it out.

He seems like a good dude and they were keenly aware of what they were doing on the new album.  I do think the wiser and easier approach probably would've been to try making Want Some #2.  On the other hand though, I also kinda respect them for just trying to create what they felt.  I'm not artistic by any means but it's tough doing anything if you're not really into what you're doing.

At the end of the day, at least what they're doing is still "rock".  It's not the same kind of rock they used to do but at least it's still something with some attitude and balls to it.  At least they haven't turned into adult contemporary artists like say Bon Jovi for example.

Not my normal cup of tea and I'm positive that most of the sites I follow won't be recommending it, but still liking it for some strange reason that I can't put my finger on.  I just think mostly because it's different than the ultra-melodic stuff I'm normally listening to.  

See I disagree with the whole " respect them for just trying to create what they felt. "

In cases like this, why revive the band name if you are just going to do something that sounds nothing like that band?

It would be no different to Nikki Sixx trying to push Sixx AM as Motley Crue.

Just leave the band name in the past and release this stuff under a new name, simple. All they are doing by using the RB name is trying to sucker people to buy it for nostalgias sake.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

See I disagree with the whole " respect them for just trying to create what they felt. "

In cases like this, why revive the band name if you are just going to do something that sounds nothing like that band?

It would be no different to Nikki Sixx trying to push Sixx AM as Motley Crue.

Just leave the band name in the past and release this stuff under a new name, simple. All they are doing by using the RB name is trying to sucker people to buy it for nostalgias sake.

I see your point.  Yeah, they're probably just using the name.  I do feel like in listening to the samples there are a few more classic sounding Roxy songs on it though.  But yeah, the majority is modern rock and not what most would be expecting based off that debut.

But Roxy Blue only had one album and it was nearly 30 years ago.  It wasn't like they had a long standing style of music and were a real well known band anyways.  That debut album happened during a different era and probably Mike Clink & Geffen records had a lot to do with it.  And let's face it....They basically failed with that style of music outside of fans like us who really dug for those kinds of bands :)

I do agree though....The easy and smart thing to do would've been to try and make a big sounding melodic rock album.  I'd have much preferred them trying to do something like say Crazy Lixx did with Forever Wild.

But I do respect them for going against the grain even if I don't think it was a smart decision.  Maybe if they would've had a series of releases they would've evolved to this exact style anyways? 

I can't really blame them for using the same name as it is 3/4 of the original members.   Yeah, sound is different but that happens with lots of bands.  If we're using that, we should be saying Bon Jovi shouldn't be releasing Bon Jovi albums anymore....No Richie and they sound nothing like they did in the 80's.  Same argument would probably be for Warrant....They shouldn't be using the Warrant.  Heck, maybe even that Born Again album with Jani shouldn't have been Warrant ;)

I guess I just see both sides here.  I'm just taking it for what it is and trying not to get hung up on what I wanted it to be.  People will either like it or not like it.....And most probably won't like it lol. 

Edited by tts42572
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tts42572 said:

I see your point.  Yeah, they're probably just using the name.  I do feel like in listening to the samples there are a few more classic sounding Roxy songs on it though.  But yeah, the majority is modern rock and not what most would be expecting based off that debut.

But Roxy Blue only had one album and it was nearly 30 years ago.  It wasn't like they had a long standing style of music and were a real well known band anyways.  That debut album happened during a different era and probably Mike Clink & Geffen records had a lot to do with it.  And let's face it....They basically failed with that style of music outside of fans like us who really dug for those kinds of bands :)

I do agree though....The easy and smart thing to do would've been to try and make a big sounding melodic rock album.  I'd have much preferred them trying to do something like say Crazy Lixx did with Forever Wild.

But I do respect them for going against the grain even if I don't think it was a smart decision.  Maybe if they would've had a series of releases they would've evolved to this exact style anyways? 

I can't really blame them for using the same name as it is 3/4 of the original members.   Yeah, sound is different but that happens with lots of bands.  If we're using that, we should be saying Bon Jovi shouldn't be releasing Bon Jovi albums anymore....No Richie and they sound nothing like they did in the 80's.

I guess I just see both sides here.  I'm just taking it for what it is and trying not to get hung up on what I wanted it to be.  People will either like it or not like it.....And most probably won't like it lol. 

I'm on the "use a different name" boat too, but I must say you make a whole bunch of really good points there. Good post. 

Yes they are using the name to get up interest,thats why we are discussing it as I type,there are quite a lot of replies to this topic...I doubt there would be even half as many if they were a new band playing what we're hearing?

• Like 1