Jump to content
Stefan

H.E.A.T - Into The Great Unknown

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

But my comment was about live in reply to someone saying they would disappear soon judging on their fun single release 

No one to touch them live. 

My bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Rocker said:

My bad!

but I'm with you on how good Eclipse and WET are tho. I love both 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Glen said:

But my comment was about live in reply to someone saying they would disappear soon judging on their fun single release 

No one to touch them live. 

So good live!

As I was at Def Leppard this past weekend, I kept thinking the whole time how awesome it would be to see H.e.a.t with a similar setup....Full production, big HD screens, lasers/lighting, etc, etc....wow, how great that could be.....even though I know it'll never happen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

funny how people are all critical about a fun little track that the band did not even care enough for to include on the album.....and yet the song is still more engaging than some debut singles by other bands...

also without making this into yet another "my top/best" thread, I am pretty sure that for many HEAT is still one of the best in melodic rock genre

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Invisible_man said:

funny how people are all critical about a fun little track that the band did not even care enough for to include on the album.....and yet the song is still more engaging than some debut singles by other bands...

also without making this into yet another "my top/best" thread, I am pretty sure that for many HEAT is still one of the best in melodic rock genre

 

 

 

spot on. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to my compilations of HEAT and Wig wam on the one DVR that I created.

It was a solo drive, so it was interrupted and loud.

I enjoyed them both, but in the end, I found myself digging the Wig Wam far more.
Shame they ended :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Glen said:

but I'm with you on how good Eclipse and WET are tho. I love both 

Unbelievable how good they are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting comments by Erik on his thoughts about "Into the Great Unknown" according to a recent interview with AOR Watchtower

http://aorwatchtower.blogspot.com/2018/10/entrevista-com-erik-gronwall.html

The next album was "Into The Great Unknown" , released last year. Undoubtedly, it is HEAT's most experimental work to date. What was different while composing the album that sets it apart from others, musically?

Erik Grönwall: I think the big difference was that we did not spend as much time together as we did while working on the album and even while writing material. We were all spending time with other people in the middle and I think that somehow influenced the compositions. I honestly do not like "Into The Great Unknown" , I think we could have done something better ... but it was something we needed to do.

I believe you already have some material being worked on for the new album. How would you define the musical direction of what is coming?

Erik Grönwall: No antics. Hard & Heavy ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Crazysam said:

Some interesting comments by Erik on his thoughts about "Into the Great Unknown" according to a recent interview with AOR Watchtower

http://aorwatchtower.blogspot.com/2018/10/entrevista-com-erik-gronwall.html

The next album was "Into The Great Unknown" , released last year. Undoubtedly, it is HEAT's most experimental work to date. What was different while composing the album that sets it apart from others, musically?

Erik Grönwall: I think the big difference was that we did not spend as much time together as we did while working on the album and even while writing material. We were all spending time with other people in the middle and I think that somehow influenced the compositions. I honestly do not like "Into The Great Unknown" , I think we could have done something better ... but it was something we needed to do.

I believe you already have some material being worked on for the new album. How would you define the musical direction of what is coming?

Erik Grönwall: No antics. Hard & Heavy ...

I got a nice chance to chat with Jona Tee back in May at MRF5 in Chicago and funny enough, he said the same thing when I was asking him if they had started working on the next album and what the direction might be.  He said he wanted to make an in-your-face, kick ass melodic hard rock album.

He had also said that they had a bunch of songs ready to go and were hoping to start recording toward the end of 2018 but tour plans were probably going to push recording off until the spring.  He said they were aiming to have the next album out by the end of 2019 and that they couldn't afford to take so much time off like they did between TDTW and ITGU.  He commented that while a couple guys in the band have other sources of income, some guys only have the band so they need the band to be working.

Can't wait!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting comments. I love the "no antics" comment as that was what was irking me with both those last albums - things that didn't need to be added to the albums. Weird noises and effects. The plan for the next album sounds awesome to me... as long as they don't forget the hooks and melody (aka Dynazty) when getting "hard and heavy." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nice to hear Erik say that though he obviously was singing a different tune (har har) back when the album was released.  While it's not terrible, I definitely think this album was a misstep and it's great to hear that the band recognizes that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's only his opinion, though. Still love the lp  and that artwork looks so so so beautiful  on that large vinyl format (please somebody release the first 3 opuses on vinyl).  After all some of my favorite tracks from them were only Japanese bonuses (from the magnum opuses "Living In A Memory" and "Tonight", to California and Shame)

 

Listening to "She's Like The Wind" from their 10" ep right now with a , btw. Still sending shivers down my spine :wub::crying:  

 

 

My favorite album from Ozzy is Ultimate Sin and the dude still hates it. And So It Goes...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see me an Erik on the same page!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, melodicrock said:

Live DVD coming first...

They should've recorded MRF5 for their live DVD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the last album. Love the variety on it. Some of those so called 'pop' songs are fantastic live 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Glen said:

I really like the last album. Love the variety on it. Some of those so called 'pop' songs are fantastic live 

Agree.

While I definitely put ATN and TDTW ahead of it, still enjoy the album plenty.  And for me, it adds variety to their entire catalog.  I mean, each of these past 3 albums has it's own character while still all being great melodic rock.

I do prefer the heavier side of the band but absolutely need the variety to keep it from becoming stale....like say Eclipse does to me at times.

Agree on the live part too...new songs all sound great live.  Although, pretty much everything they do sounds great live :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have loved all the releases by H.E.A.T so far and agree that the last release definitely had more variety and from my personal point of view it worked,my fav by these guys is still Address The Nation,so I look forward to hearing what they come up with next after reading their plans for the next release  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does the last release fit on a HEAT mix CD?
Especially if the next one goes back to the older style.

I liked the last album, but to do so had to view it separately from what I'd expect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While checking out this thread and please excuse my ignorance,  I realized that I don'tknow what  H.E.A.T. stands for.

Anyone know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

While checking out this thread and please excuse my ignorance,  I realized that I don'tknow what  H.E.A.T. stands for.

Anyone know?

I don't think it stands for anything, just Heat but they chose to write it like that

Wholeheartedly agree with Erik that the last record wasn't that great, but I'm not as optimistic as him in regards to their next album. I'd love it if they did but I'm not sure they'll be able to deliver next time round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, melodicrock said:

The footage I have from our recording is pretty damn good!

I know!  Looks fabulous from the sample I've seen and can't wait to see more!  Would've been awesome for them to do an official release from that show!

Do you know if the Live DVD/CD they're preparing is from a show they've already done or is it from an upcoming show on the Nov/Dec tour?

I was hoping they'd have a new album out by the end of 2019 but if they're planning a live CD/DVD release I'd have to wonder if they'll actually release 2 different things in the same year.  Probably will push the next album into 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is fine for an artist to not like an album as long as they accept that some people do.

I think the big problem here is the reaction they got from the die hard crybabies the minute the first single hit.

 

Overall I thought it was an incredibly strong album and  while maybe not as strong as ATN, it ranks above BDTW for me (and that is a really good album as well). For a band that I have very little interest in pre-Erik, if this is an album Erik does not like, that at least gives me hope that we will never actually hear a bad album from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think it is fine for an artist to not like an album as long as they accept that some people do.

I think the big problem here is the reaction they got from the die hard crybabies the minute the first single hit.

 

Overall I thought it was an incredibly strong album and  while maybe not as strong as ATN, it ranks above BDTW for me (and that is a really good album as well). For a band that I have very little interest in pre-Erik, if this is an album Erik does not like, that at least gives me hope that we will never actually hear a bad album from them.

I agree with you on that first single.....I'll admit I was one that was scratching my head with that song.  Really, it's not a bad song....Just wasn't at all what I was looking for.  I think that song combined with the suggestive nature of the album title being a stylistic change sent many people into a tizzy.

If they would've led off with Bastard of Society instead of Time On Our Side, I think it would've changed everybody's initial impressions.  In reality the album really didn't end up being much different than the last album if you ask me.  But first impressions are sometimes hard to break.

I get why they did it as it's probably the most commercial and radio friendly song on the album and they were probably hoping to get some airplay with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.