Books

JustJason

Hell Train by Christopher Fowler

Are you embarrassed about that one or something? ;)

Stoopid formatting keeps changing the font size!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blood And Feathers - Lou Morgan

Recently finished the Yngwie J Malmsteen book Relentless. Not bad, I did not like however how he referred to Spinal Tap mentioning him in their movie....c'mon Yngwie it was in a music video not the movie, doesn't anyone fact check anything anymore.

You want to read 'Watch You Bleed - The Saga Of Guns n' Roses', or, rather, you don't ... it's full of mistakes (how hard can it be to check who plays what in KISS, for example?)

Recently finished the Yngwie J Malmsteen book Relentless. Not bad, I did not like however how he referred to Spinal Tap mentioning him in their movie....c'mon Yngwie it was in a music video not the movie, doesn't anyone fact check anything anymore.

You want to read 'Watch You Bleed - The Saga Of Guns n' Roses', or, rather, you don't ... it's full of mistakes (how hard can it be to check who plays what in KISS, for example?)

It amazes me that such a book would get published. Although I suppose that's similar to terrible albums being released by record labels. If it meets the bill of what they're after at the time, it'll do, regardless of quality, or in the book's case, veracity.

Maybe we should write a biography of GnR as well. I'll start:

"Axl and Slash both attended Smethwick Green Comprehensive School in Birmingham, where they shared a love of cricket and Shakespearean sonnets. When they first met, in Mr Bastard's detention for late submission of Geography homework, they can have had no idea that number one albums, world tours, knighthoods and guest appearances on 'Coronation Street' were to follow in a few short years. Of course, they were then known by their original names, Barry Borthwicke and Alessandro Montelimar..."

It amazes me that such a book would get published. Although I suppose that's similar to terrible albums being released by record labels. If it meets the bill of what they're after at the time, it'll do, regardless of quality, or in the book's case, veracity.

"Axl and Slash both attended Smethwick Green Comprehensive School in Birmingham, where they shared a love of cricket and Shakespearean sonnets. When they first met, in Mr Bastard's detention for late submission of Geography homework, they can have had no idea that number one albums, world tours, knighthoods and guest appearances on 'Coronation Street' were to follow in a few short years. Of course, they were then known by their original names, Barry Borthwicke and Alessandro Montelimar..."

Even then, Axl's ego had assumed gigantic proportions, and had already taken over the captaincy of the cricket team. After de-selecting the entire team and replacing them with an increasingly bizarre choice of replacements (including an opening batsman who wore a McDonald's Happy Meal box around his nether regions), Axl went on to tour the world replaying the finest games from the team's past in the hope that spectators would be fooled into thinking they were watching something of substance and worth ...

Even then, Axl's ego had assumed gigantic proportions, and had already taken over the captaincy of the cricket team. After de-selecting the entire team and replacing them with an increasingly bizarre choice of replacements (including an opening batsman who wore a McDonald's Happy Meal box around his nether regions), Axl went on to tour the world replaying the finest games from the team's past in the hope that spectators would be fooled into thinking they were watching something of substance and worth ...

:)

Not to mention the time he offered out one of his classmates. The other boy accepted the fight, at which point young Barry ran and hid in Lost Property for 3 weeks.

;)

Tim Powers - The Stress Of Her Regard

It's a gothic/horror/fantasy novels, dealing with a secret history in which real events have supernatural causes - in this book, the lives of the poets Keats, Shelley and Byron, as well as political events in central Europe during the early 19th century, are governed by a race of vampire-like creatures known as nephelim. They are depicted as having some of the qualities of vampires, succubi, incubi, Lamia, fairies and djinn - both predators and benefactors of humans, and the basis for both the Muses and the Graeae.

It's an odd book - the style of writing reminds me at times of Dickens (none of your Stephanie Meyer crap here), with hints of Poe. Well worth a read if you prefer your horror stories not to rely on buckets of blood or moronic heroines with all the common sense of a toilet brush :)

Tom Clancy - RIP :(

World War Z- Max Brooks

And what did you think?

World War Z- Max Brooks

And what did you think?

Just started it. So far so good.

Just finished :

Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson

[excellent YA book, it would make a brilliant film!......also Sanderson is my new fav author - everything he writes is awesome!]

Halfway through Peter Criss autobiography...and got Ace Frehley´s "No Regrets" lined up. It's a bit "The Dirt" light, and he comes across as somewhat of an asshole sometimes, but I guess that's what too much coke does to you. It's a very open and honest book though.

Anybody know if the Gene biography is any good? I heard excerpts from the audiobook version, read by Gene, and I'm curious about it. Seems he slagged off Ace and Peter quite a bit, but from what I've gathered the critique was well founded. Simmons always came across as the more clear thinking and rational individual in the band to me.

Terry Pratchett - Soul Music

John Nichol/Tony Rennel - Arnhem: The Battle For Survival

Halfway through Peter Criss autobiography...and got Ace Frehley´s "No Regrets" lined up. It's a bit "The Dirt" light, and he comes across as somewhat of an asshole sometimes, but I guess that's what too much coke does to you. It's a very open and honest book though.

Anybody know if the Gene biography is any good? I heard excerpts from the audiobook version, read by Gene, and I'm curious about it. Seems he slagged off Ace and Peter quite a bit, but from what I've gathered the critique was well founded. Simmons always came across as the more clear thinking and rational individual in the band to me.

Genes was a bit boring. Aces was great! Have Peters ready to start as well.

Just finished Stephen Pearcys book and it was awesome!

Makeup to Breakup by Peter Criss....just starting it. I did read Gene's and Ace's. Gene's was a bit boring but Ace's was cool.

1984 - George Orwell ... I'd forgotten what a laugh-a-minute fun-fest this book is ...

• 1 month later...