Books

JustJason

Jeez do I have some cool info for fans of good music. Did you doods know that Joerg Deisinger (original bass player with Bonfire, and with them until 1994!) released a book called 'Fire and Fame' in 2008? Currently my most wanted book...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Terry Pratchett - R.I.P.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/mar/12/terry-pratchett

The world of books has lost someone very special. I'd like to think that, somewhere, his favourite anthropomorphic personification greeted him warmly, in THAT VOICE.

Jeez do I have some cool info for fans of good music. Did you doods know that Joerg Deisinger (original bass player with Bonfire, and with them until 1994!) released a book called 'Fire and Fame' in 2008? Currently my most wanted book...

Would love to read it.Pricey...

http://www.bookdepository.com/Fire-Fame-Joerg-Deisinger/9783837045949

The Comic-Book Book by Don Thompson

Only $13 US. Seems not too pricey imho.

Only $13 US. Seems not too pricey imho.

:lol: Yeah, that's sadly a standard price for a book that I'd expect to pay over here. Honestly, for a book like that which I'd expect would be a nightmare to find, I think it's pretty "cheap."

• 2 weeks later...

Right now:
Shock Value: How a Few Eccentric Outsiders Gave Us Nightmares, Conquered Hollywood and Invented Modern Horror by Jason Zinoman

On deck:
A Vulgar Display of Power: Courage and Carnage at the Alrosa Villa by Chris Arnold

• 2 weeks later...
On deck:

A Vulgar Display of Power: Courage and Carnage at the Alrosa Villa by Chris Arnold

I'm about halfway thru this case study of the murder of Dimebag Darrell and unfortunately it's something of a frustrating slog. For some reason, the author is spending an awful lot of time telling the life stories of everyone who was involved with that horrible night, and at the risk of sounding like an insensitive dick, it's taking way too long to get to the point.

On deck:

Reel Terror: The Scary, Bloody, Gory Hundred Year History of Classic Horror Films by David Konow

• 1 month later...

Just started Sex, Drugs, Ratt & Roll: My Life In Rock by Stephen Pearcy & Sam Benjamin

I'm only a few chapters in but it's been entertaining so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really like Pearcy's book nor Bobby Blotzer's for that matter. I would welcome a book from Demartini so badly but that's never gonna happen. I'm halfway through the Motley Crue biography for the second time, last time I read it was like 10 years ago haha.

Anyone know whether Michael Toney will release a follow up to his ''Tales from the stage'' book?

I don't get much time to read so i'm only about half way through Simo. I'm enjoying it so far. I love to hear about the tales of life on the sunset strip. Was it the writing or the people you didn't like Simo.

I must re-read Crue's book too. It's been a similar amount of time since i read it the first time too!

As much as I love Ratt, I've never been a Pearcy fan. He blames other people instead of admitting he made mistakes too. Also I would have liked to read more about Ratt's music, how they wrote and recorded but he rarely mentions any of this. Also I believe after reading and knowing Motley Crue's ''The Dirt'', stories about excess and decadence don't shock you that much anymore :D

Good point, he doesn't mention much about the writing process or the music itself much. Still loving the tales of excess and debauchery though :)

Ah so Paul Stanley's book is a good read then? good because i have it queued up next

I've 2 chapters of Stanleys book left to go and it is pretty good,really enjoyed Hagars "Red" also,that guy did so much aside from music like the mountain bikes/tequila etc ,next in line for me is either Gene Simmons(finished Frehleys & Criss's so may finish the set ;) ) or Dee Sniders,have the Pearcy book also and wanna read it just to compare it to Blotzers.

...best Ive read the last few years would be between Motleys "The Dirt" Aerosmiths "Walk This Way" or the Enter Night Metallica Biography...

Right I've finished Stephen Pearcy's book which is definitely more about him than Ratt. I'm surprised he made it so far through life. He seemed destined to get killed, kill himself through excess or piss everyone in the world off to the point where someone would murder him! I have to take my hat off to him for his determination in the early days but it sounds like he caught lead singers disease pretty quickly and became an ass hole and it was so sad to read about what happened to Robbin Crosby which i had no idea about :(

Stanley's book is recommended, didn't like Ace Frehley's that much even though I think he's a cool dude. Saw Gene and Peter's books but I doubt I'd like those. Are they any good?

Gene's book is OK but a little out of date now (it was published in 2000) and of course it's full of his typical "me, me, me" self-serving bullshit.

I enjoyed Peter's book more than I expected. His seemed the most honest, he admits "OK, I was a total fuck up" but after a while the constant self-pitying got old

Oh, and by the way:

Just finished: Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock N Roll Generation Saved Hollywood by Peter Biskind

Just started: I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne w/Chris Ayres

Oh, and by the way:

Just started: I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne w/Chris Ayres

Read that and really enjoyed it. I laughed out loud in places :)

Stanley's book is recommended, didn't like Ace Frehley's that much even though I think he's a cool dude. Saw Gene and Peter's books but I doubt I'd like those. Are they any good?

Gene's book is OK but a little out of date now (it was published in 2000) and of course it's full of his typical "me, me, me" self-serving bullshit.

I enjoyed Peter's book more than I expected. His seemed the most honest, he admits "OK, I was a total fuck up" but after a while the constant self-pitying got old

I remember not being able to put Gene's book down but it's been a while since i read it. I just couldn't believe some of the things he was coming out with!

Just started Paul Stanley's book and it hasn't started out how i thought it would. It certainly reads like a much more intelligent person has written it compared to your average rock star :)

Yeah, what surprised me right at the beginning was Paul's ear, I had NO IDEA

I'll never forget reading the very last page of the book (or the last two pages), I can't explain why and how but it gave me hope. Just left me with a good feeling, maybe you'll feel the same

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, what surprised me right at the beginning was Paul's ear, I had NO IDEA

I'll never forget reading the very last page of the book (or the last two pages), I can't explain why and how but it gave me hope. Just left me with a good feeling, maybe you'll feel the same

Just finished, what a great read. One of the best endings to a biography i've ever read. I have a new found respect for Paul Stanley now

Just finished:

Batman & Me: an Autobiography by Bob Kane