Books

JustJason

Douglas Adams: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

David Wellington - Monster Island ... not sure about this one at all ...

Stephen King - On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How it Changed America by David Hajdu

On deck:

Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book by Gerard Jones

Monster Planet - David Wellington ... the final part of his zombie trilogy ... went from being a standard(ish) 'zombie apocalypse'-type story to something that read like a computer game translated into book form ... even the heroine of the piece felt like a watered-down Alice ...

I've moved on to Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished:

Nothin' To Lose: The Making of KISS 1972-1975 by Ken Sharp

...a very cool in-depth book that's a treasure trove of KISS trivia for diehard geeks (i.e. me). In addition to having access to the KISS archives via Gene & Paul, Ken Sharp tracked down interviews with lots of people who were pivotal to KISS' development in the early days but haven't been heard from much since then, so there were a lot of great stories. The photos are great too, lots that I've never seen before. I was especially fascinated by the pix of them playing their first couple of shows in tiny little dump clubs in New York's outer boroughs wearing jeans and t-shirts, with half-assed early versions of their soon to be famous make up on their faces.

Starting:

My Life as a Ten Year Old Boy by Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart Simpson)

...I borrowed this one from the library mainly to show my kids, who have been watching The Simpsons with me for a while now but refused to believe that Bart Simpson's voice is done by a woman. :rofl2:

On Deck:

This Ain't No Disco: The Story of CBGB by Roman Kozak

The Last Escape (The Untold Story of Allied Prisoners of War in Europe 1944-45) - John Nichol & Tony Rennell

• 1 month later...

Careless Love, the unmaking of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick.

"Love, Peace and Soul: Behind the Scenes of America's Favorite Dance Show, Soul Train" by Erica Blount Danois