Books

JustJason

Makeup to Breakup: My LIfe in and Out of KISS by Peter Criss

Finished this one today. Great read. Cat Man doesn't pull any punches when it comes to his old band mates, but at the same time he admits that he was a total f*ck up for a lot of years. Some great stories here. Probably the best KISS related book I've read (and I've read a f*ck load of 'em) lol.gif

Strange. I've only read bad reviews about this one. Maybe I'll give it a try one day. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished this one today. Great read. Cat Man doesn't pull any punches when it comes to his old band mates, but at the same time he admits that he was a total f*ck up for a lot of years. Some great stories here. Probably the best KISS related book I've read (and I've read a f*ck load of 'em) lol.gif

Strange. I've only read bad reviews about this one. Maybe I'll give it a try one day. :)

I liked it better than Ace's and Gene's books by a mile.

I liked it better than Ace's and Gene's books by a mile.

I enjoyed Gene's book, but wasn't at all impressed with Ace's ... reckon I might give this one a try ...

Everest The Hard Way - Chris Bonington ... unfortunately, you really need to be a climber to truly appreciate this book (although some of the photos are STUNNING!)

• 1 month later...

Dawn Of The Dumb - Charlie Brooker

I've been on a James Bond movie kick lately which has influenced my most recent reads:

The Man With the Golden Touch: How the James Bond Films Conquered the World - by an author whose name escapes me and I'm too lazy to go look it up. A very in depth movie-by-movie study of the 007 films that traces the series from their humble beginnings in the early 60s ("Dr. No" was considered a low budget "B" picture!) to the mega-budget phenomenon of today. A bit dry at times, but there's tons of geek trivia about the various actors and behind-the-scenes scoop.

Bond on Bond: Reflections on 50 Years of James Bond by Sir Roger Moore. Traces the history of the 007 films from "Dr. No" to "Skyfall," with humorous commentary by Roger Moore himself. I would've thought that Roger wouldn't have had much "inside" info aside from the films he actually starred in, but as it turns out his association with the 007 series goes all the way back to the Connery era. (He was good friends with 007 producer Cubby Broccoli before he was ever considered for the Bond role.)... and of course since he left the series he continued to serve as 007's unofficial Goodwill ambassador, attending all the premieres, doing interviews, etc., etc. The book is lavishly illustrated with tons of photos, vintage poster art, etc. ... in short, it's absolute gold for the Bond geek.

Starting the third book in the Autumn series by David Moody. Excellent series if books.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0312569998/ref=rdr_ext_sb_pi_sims_2

• 2 weeks later...

John Wyndham's 'Day Of The Triffids' ...

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry

From Amazon.com:

"When you have to kill the same terrorist twice in one week there's either something wrong with your world or something wrong with your skills... and there's nothing wrong with Joe Ledger's skills. And that's both a good, and a bad thing. It's good because he's a Baltimore detective that has just been secretly recruited by the government to lead a new taskforce created to deal with the problems that Homeland Security can't handle. This rapid response group is called the Department of Military Sciences or the DMS for short. It's bad because his first mission is to help stop a group of terrorists from releasing a dreadful bio-weapon that can turn ordinary people into zombies. The fate of the world hangs in the balance...."

Totally recommended!!

Done nothing but read with my new commute to work these days. A few of the recent highlights:

Bobby Blotzer - 'Tales of a Ratt' ; interesting enough read and I'm dying to read Pearcy's book when it drops in price a little. At first I didn't like "Blotz" much and considered him a bonehead, but I didn't mind the book. There is a lot of pointless stuff nobody would care about, and some details on the interesting music side of things is skipped over (the Contraband project is worth a paragraph somewhere later in the book, as an after-thought) but overall, it's an interesting read and I really liked reading a book from a band member of a band that wasn't huge. All other books are generally from MASSIVE bands, and this was a cool different story and perspective from a band that did it the hard way.

Duff McKagen - 'It's so easy...' ; as others have noted, a good account of the GN'R story. Hard to say which book I like best of the 3 guys so far, but this was another good one and a good read. His sobriety and life after that is actually really impressive. Good read.

Ron Jeremy - 'Hardest Working Man in Show Business' ; pretty sad actually. The dude has an interesting story to tell, and he does to an extent, but how many pages are spent (wasted?) and telling us how close he got to a role as an extra in a major film, or some time a celebrity might have mentioned him in passing conversation... basically any event involving a celebrity - the more minor the more significant? - scores a page reference in this book. I'd rather just have heard details about him ploughing whores (haha!) but it was a bit of a sad account of a man with a life millions would envy, yet all he did was pine on about the life he wishes he'd had as a mainstream superstar.

Though I haven't started it yet, (I bought this along with that Bon Jovi CD yesterday at a local thrift store with a change of career in mind):

ILLUSTRATING CHILDREN'S BOOKS - Martin Salibury

I'm not really into novels but very much into books about Advertising, watercolor, heavy metal and now illustration.

• 3 weeks later...

Though I haven't started it yet, (I bought this along with that Bon Jovi CD yesterday at a local thrift store with a change of career in mind):

ILLUSTRATING CHILDREN'S BOOKS - Martin Salibury

I'm not really into novels but very much into books about Advertising, watercolor, heavy metal and now illustration.

I still haven't started this ILLUSTRATING ... because I'm still going through my THINKERTOYS - A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques (Michael Michalko) and whenever I'm in the washroom - BANG YOUR HEAD The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal (David Konow)

Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden

Hell Train by Christopher Fowler