Books

JustJason

Going through a kick/spurt of rock n roll autobiographies:

Bobby Blotzers-Tales Of A Ratt This one was like reading a Dr. Suess book without the catchy rhymes. Big print, super fast read and stories that went a lot of places, but to an actual point. I really did not like the page and a half devoted to his "Hey, I nailed Moon Zappa and knocked her up." only to not go any further in the tale than that. (?) I did get a few things from the book, Don Dokken is a prick, Juan Crucier is a prick and BB falls in love with EVERY girl he bangs, except Moon Unit apparently or maybe he did, but kept that to himself...

Black Tooth Grin-Darryl Abott This one was a good read a hell of a lot better written than the Ratt book. Seems as if Dime was a hel of a guy to hang out with and it appears he had zero ego and was a fanboy til' the end. Obviously the end of the book is a heart wrencher and is another of those you wonder what he still could have acheived...

Curently reading: It's So Easy & other Lies-Duff McKagen This one reads really well. Duff obviously has some skills when it comes to writting and the story is a nice little glossy tale from duff's perpective on the rise and partial fall of GN'R. reading about how Steve lost his gig is just sad, while reading Duff's side I wanted to shake the poor bastard...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Going through a kick/spurt of rock n roll autobiographies:

Bobby Blotzers-Tales Of A Ratt This one was like reading a Dr. Suess book without the catchy rhymes. Big print, super fast read and stories that went a lot of places, but to an actual point. I really did not like the page and a half devoted to his "Hey, I nailed Moon Zappa and knocked her up." only to not go any further in the tale than that. (?) I did get a few things from the book, Don Dokken is a prick, Juan Crucier is a prick and BB falls in love with EVERY girl he bangs, except Moon Unit apparently or maybe he did, but kept that to himself...

Black Tooth Grin-Darryl Abott This one was a good read a hell of a lot better written than the Ratt book. Seems as if Dime was a hel of a guy to hang out with and it appears he had zero ego and was a fanboy til' the end. Obviously the end of the book is a heart wrencher and is another of those you wonder what he still could have acheived...

Curently reading: It's So Easy & other Lies-Duff McKagen This one reads really well. Duff obviously has some skills when it comes to writting and the story is a nice little glossy tale from duff's perpective on the rise and partial fall of GN'R. reading about how Steve lost his gig is just sad, while reading Duff's side I wanted to shake the poor bastard...

I've thought a few times about picking up Blotz's book; maybe I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger. Black Tooth Grin doesn't sound bad at all; maybe I'll have to replace BB's with it on my list.

I loved Duff's book! One of my favorite, if not favorite, rock bio. It inspired me to go back and read Slash's book, for comparison of events. (I'm about 2/3 of the way through.) I wonder if anyone has created a time line and compared events from Duff, Slash, and Steven's POV/stories. Think that would be VERY interesting.

Sword in the Storm by David Gemmell

Awesome - keep reading, the other 3 in the series are great too.

Also have you read 'Dark Moon' - that is one of my favs!

No, I haven't. To be honest I'm not really into fantasy but that book rocks for sure. I plan to read the other ones too.

No, I haven't. To be honest I'm not really into fantasy but that book rocks for sure. I plan to read the other ones too.

Most Gemmell is awesome - try Echoes Of The Great Song - excellent stand alone book!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished that "Bringin' Metal To The Children" by Zakk Wylde, nice little read with a TON of shitting and puking stories, which had me laughing out loud. Sure he tells some tales of being with the Oz and DBD as well. The viking schtick throughout is a hoot too.

Just started "A Shot Of Poison", by some partially illeterate dude who glomed on to some Poison coat tails... So far the stories are OK, but boy this guy writes worse than Blotzer...

• 2 weeks later...

"No Flesh Shall Be Spared" by Carnall

Hyped as "Gladiator meets Dawn of the Dead," the novel takes place in a post-zombie apocalypse world in which warriors fight hordes of zombies in pits while the world watches on TV. A little slow in the beginning, but it gets better as you go along, with most of the zombie pitfighting action taking place in the second half.

Finished the aforementioned Poison book and now onto Nikki Sixx' This Is Gonna Hurt. About halfway through and Nikki certainly can write, but so far the story has no direction, just a nest of random ramblings... and most of the photo's are an attempt at a Saw movie. Not shocking or anything, more so annoying, at least to me.

I was just wondering if anyone has or is reading the Game Of Thrones books. I'm up to book 5 - A Feast For Crows and they are all marvellous.

This is not your run of the mill fantasy epic full of goblins etc. in fact very little of it is fantastical - what you get is expert characterisation - venomous they are - unpredictable story lines (he's not afraid to swing the axe at some main characters) and a world so real in its detail you'd think it was somewhere off past the US or something :-)

The other interesting thing is that each chapter is told from a character's perspective which I have not come across before but is very effective as it leaves you on a mini cliff hanger after each chapter - clever!

I can highly recommend these books - I've read a lot of epic fantasy and this is up there with the best.

Oh and it puts the series to shame.

Just finished: Sarah J Maas - Throne Of Glass.

Female assassin is pulled out of a salt-mine to take part in a contest. If she wins, she gets to be Kings Champion. She loses, she goes back to the mine.

Not exactly groundbreaking but not bad.

Currently reading "Blackout," Book 3 of the "Newsflesh" trilogy by Mira Grant... this is an excellent sci-fi/horror saga set in a near future post-zombie apocalypse America.