AOR and Hard Rock

The groups, the albums, who's hot, who's not. Discuss.

6,570 topics in this forum

1. Johnny Wad

• 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 9 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 13 replies
    • 20 replies
  2. Steve Earle

• 9 replies
    • 0 replies
  3. Head East

• 5 replies
  4. Alien S/T 1988

• 4 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 0 replies
  5. Shortino

• 0 replies
  6. JSS & Journey

• 13 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 7 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 22 replies
    • 1.5k views
  7. a moment of magic

• 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 1.2k views
  8. The Matlocks

• 1 reply
  9. Pleasure Maker

• 5 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 1 reply
    • I hate that Collective Soul is considered alternate. When they were popular they were promoted as active rock, which I'm not sure what that is but it sounds a lot closer what they do than alternate rock. To me, alternative is REM and Pavement and the like.
    • The reason I mentioned Alter Bridge and Scott Stapp's solo stuff is because I don't think it's too far off from Creed. Myles Kennedy obviously has a more dynamic voice than Stapp but musically they're very similar. At the end of the day as I've said I love this site and if Dan decided to strip it down to the bare bones and build a site from the ground up starting with Journey and Poison and I would still support it.
    • I get the idea of keeping the site pure but if you look at the genres of music on HH listed on the site not even all of them fit into the AOR/Melodic Rock sub genres and if you submit a cd there's even more categories. If the site was strictly AOR & Melodic Rock it would still be an amazing database but it's also, sleaze, glam, southern rock, blues rock, hard rock and modern hard rock and there's a lot more to those genres to explore. 
    • My two cents... This site's database was probably the single biggest factor in me getting into the AOR/melodic rock subgenre, and I was like a kid in a candy shop for a while because I knew *almost* every artist on here would appeal to me and fit what I was looking for. Finding new music you enjoy is one of life's greatest pleasures and for a while this site was my go-to. I'll always be grateful to Dan and the rest of the contributors for that. That being said, I worry that it will lose a lot of that appeal if it just starts adding a bunch of artists that play rock music but do not fit in the AOR/melodic rock subgenre. There are a few bands on here that are already pushing it and if every artist with two guitars and a big snare drum gets admitted, what's separating this database from any other? We are all fans of a type of music that is quite "niche" these days but that's what makes the site special. tl;dr I vote no on all of them. I vote no on Creed twice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.