The Poodles - Sweet Trade

zacharyamelie

I still can't believe no thread has been made about this release. I just picked it up a few days ago and I think it's killer. The first half of the disc still has that "Power Metal" feel to it with the lyrics and its big choruses and the second half is much more melodic with even bigger choruses. I can't find a weak track on the disc.

As much as I loved "Metal Will Stand Tall" I find this one more complete. I paid a hefty price of 22$, but it was worth it. Although I only buy a handful of releases every year, this will most likely be at the top or near the top of my best of 2007 list.

I really liked the debut.....was anxious to receive this followup. After listening, it didn't pull my chain nearly so hard!!!

Come on Delbert! They are The Poodles not The German Shepherds. Obvioulsy they won't pull your chain so hard.

Wow, I think the debut is 10 times better than this one. I actually really dislike pretty much the first 3/4 of the album. I find the tracks very "boring" and un-catchy with a nordic feel I do not enjoy - very reminiscent of Reingold's material... or even some of Pontus Norgren's other projects. I am not a fan at all.

I do think that towards the end, around the last 3-4 songs, there are some good cuts. The last track, the ballad, is exceptional, but overall I was very disappointed with this release which I felt concentrated more on fillers than the melodic gems that were at home on the debut.

the debut was better for me.

There were more killer songs.

The new one is heavier and that's no good for me

More often than not, heavier is better for me.

In most cases I'd agree, but not at the sacrifice of good songs. Personally, I don't think this is any heavier than the debut at all.

The first time I popped "Sweet Trade" in, I was admittedly a bit disappointed (I was expecting A LOT from their sophomore effort), but after several plays, I'm really beginning to enjoy it now. I guess that classifies this one as a grower for me. I really don't understand where the comments that this release is heavier than "Metal Will Stand Tall" are coming from; if anything, it's a touch lighter, and yes, more melodic overall than the first one. At this point, I gotta say I actually prefer this one to MWST. :tumbsup:

*Something I noticed when reading the comments for "Sweet Trade" on the main site was that not one person has mentioned "Shine", which in my opinion is easily the stand out track; an absolutely beautifully done song! A very nice way to end the CD!

Mike

*Something I noticed when reading the comments for "Sweet Trade" on the main site was that not one person has mentioned "Shine", which in my opinion is easily the stand out track; an absolutely beautifully done song! A very nice way to end the CD

Totally :agree:

I love that song!!!

*Something I noticed when reading the comments for "Sweet Trade" on the main site was that not one person has mentioned "Shine", which in my opinion is easily the stand out track; an absolutely beautifully done song! A very nice way to end the CD

Totally :agree:

I love that song!!!

I put a comment on the front page yesterday and I think I mentioned that song (maybe after you checked)... the only good one on the CD if you ask me. :) Nah, there's a couple of okay ones, but that is by far the highlight.

Jesus, I really cant believe what I am reading in this thread. Mostly I agree with the thoughts and opinions of most posters here, but I totally disagree with some of the comments about 'Sweet Trade'.

I think this album kicks the debut's butt!

For me there were only about 5 songs on the debut which I considered to be really good....Night of Passion, Shadows, Dont Give Up On Love, Kingdom Of Heaven and Crying. Quite a few were pretty annoying to say the least - Lie of Me, Song For You ( :yikes: WTF!), the title song, the awful cover etc etc.

Whereas here the first three tracks are all up-temp rockers, catchy - good stuff. You have the killer combo of 'Thunderball' (some might not like it, but Ive loved this track from the moment I heard it!) and Bon Jovi-esque 'Reach The Sky'. And towards the end the brilliant trio of 'Band Of Brothers' (killer guitar solos), 'Heavens Closing In' and of course my fav 'Kiss Goodbye' (which is one of my favourite tracks this year!). To be honest after this track I switch off, as the so called 'best track on the album' ( :whistle: ) pales in comparison.

OK, its certainly not the best album this year (nowhere near Ted, Alter Bridge, Threshold etc), but its gonna make my top 10 no questions asked.

Cheers.

I agree there were a large number of awful tracks on the debut, but the good tracks were just excellent and outweighed them.

IMO there are many more awful tracks on this new album (more than the debut), but aside from 'Shine' there are no real gems as good as the songs on the debut to make up the difference. Those few good tracks at the end just don't stack up to the best of the debut, imo. Aside from 'Shine'. :wub:

This is really really good - played it for most of the day yesterday. Absolutely love the opening trio of songs, especially 'Streets Of Fire' which is truly excellent. Best track on the disc for me is the mighty 'Band Of Brothers' which is a fantastic tune and I can honestly say that there aren't any songs on here that I don't like and certainly non I would class as awful. Is it better than the debut? Well,'Metal Will Stand Tall' was a great disc, especially the first half - 'Night Of Passion ' still is a mighty tune and yes I even like 'Song For You (must be the only person here that does), but it did have a few fillers towards the end, so overall, consistency wise, I would say that 'Sweet Trade' is a better album over all. I wouldn't say 'Sweet Trade' is heavier either. This has a better production and mix than the debut and The Guitars are a little more crunchy, otherwise a very similar sound to my ears.

:rofl2:

I really liked the debut.....was anxious to receive this followup. After listening, it didn't pull my chain nearly so hard!!!

Come on Delbert! They are The Poodles not The German Shepherds. Obvioulsy they won't pull your chain so hard.

:yikes::rofl2:

• 1 year later...
Wow, I think the debut is 10 times better than this one. I actually really dislike pretty much the first 3/4 of the album. I find the tracks very "boring" and un-catchy with a nordic feel I do not enjoy - very reminiscent of Reingold's material... or even some of Pontus Norgren's other projects. I am not a fan at all.

I do think that towards the end, around the last 3-4 songs, there are some good cuts. The last track, the ballad, is exceptional, but overall I was very disappointed with this release which I felt concentrated more on fillers than the melodic gems that were at home on the debut.

Okay, 2 years later as this album has come back up in discussions:

1. Flesh And Blood - total filler. Hate this type of music - I just picture elves dancing around a campfire to those drums.

2. Streets Of Fire - another standard, filler-type track to me. Not unlistenable, but just not good, imo.

3. Seven Seas - Argh, matey! F*ck off.

4. Walk The Line - Okay hard rock, but still blatant filler if you ask me.

5. Thunderball - First song on the disc that makes me question myself. It's not that bad, but it kind of is. I don't know. The verses are okay but the chorus just doesn't work at all for me. I don't hate it and it's a weak song, but the best so far.

6. Reach For The Sky - Again, I can picture elves and pixies dancing around a fire to this chorus. Verses and solo are okay, but the chorus is just annoying.

7. We Are One - Okay, not too bad. I don't mind this one. Nice ballad.

8. Without You - Yeah, okay, so this ain't the pits either. Not bad... kind of reminds me a bit of Ten for some reason. Decent enough song.

9. Band Of Brothers - As I said above, the end of the disc isn't too bad and this track is pretty decent too. Still not on par with the debut if you ask me, but decent hard rock.

10. Heaven’s Closing In - Good chorus. If I recall correctly this was my fave of the rockers.

11. Kiss Goodbye - Another pretty good one. Yeah, I dig it. Better than the last one, and the best of the rockers.

12. Shine - Never hidden my fondness of this song.

Okay, so I may have been a little harsh on this one in other threads. It is definitely an album of two clear cut halves. If they'd released an EP of tracks 6-12 I would not have been so harsh, but there is no doubt in my mind that the first half of this CD is shit, and that's a hard thing to overlook. And the fact is that none of the last 6 songs aside from 'Shine' and maybe 'Kiss goodbye' are that amazing that they save this album from not being a disappointment.

This is the only album I have of this band, and it's just so patchy. It definitely closes with the best track, but to me it's like WigWam with more of a standard Hard Rock slant, and there are so many fillers. It's put me off ever hearing anything by the band again.

IMHO, the only "sweet trade" is one that involves off-loading this album to some poor unsuspecting MHR fan and getting something better in return.