First Spin Impressions

JustJason

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FarCry - High Gear

After waiting for almost 6 months for this it's finally playing in my stereo. So what does this thing sound like?

Well if you remember back to the days of being young and cruising around in the summer with your windows down and jamming to all of the great melodic rock bands of the day then that's what you get hear. I'm talking Def Leppard, early Winger, White Lion, Tyketto(I could totally hear Danny Vaughn singing these songs), Hardline, Danger Danger, Bon Jovi(back when they were good) and many others but it's all tied up with a solid modern production. Sure the spirit of the 80's/early 90's is found here but it doesn't sound dated at all and I could totally hear many of these songs on the radio today. Pete and the rest of the band along with Kivel and everyone else(Ty Simms) who worked on this should be giving each other highfives because they've hit a homerun with this release. Oh and it might be me but the guitar playing on this is just f#@king exceptional IMO and I'm not saying that because I know Pete, it's honestly that damn good. :bowdown:

I forgot to mention my favorite track on here is a toss up between 'Fine Line' and 'Have it All'. :tumbsup:

Åge Sten Nilsen - Glamunition

Crap.

My first spin impression was that it's wasn't bad, but after a few more spins it's well & truly outstayed it's welcome. Crap is a pretty good summary IMO.

Yeah, sorry Jez but I have to agree with these guys. Here's the thing:

If a horrible pop artist (for example, Cher) records a cracking melodic rock disc I am all over it. I don't care who it is, if the music is good I love it.

On the flip-side, if a known excellent melodic rock artist records some pop shit that I would absolutely HATE if it came from anyone else, my opinion on the actual music remains the same - regardless of a soft-spot for said artist. I love Wig Wam... I hate this CD. :(

Crap.

My first spin impression was that it's wasn't bad, but after a few more spins it's well & truly outstayed it's welcome. Crap is a pretty good summary IMO.

If a horrible pop artist (for example, Cher) records a cracking melodic rock disc I am all over it. I don't care who it is, if the music is good I love it.

On the flip-side, if a known excellent melodic rock artist records some pop shit that I would absolutely HATE if it came from anyone else, my opinion on the actual music remains the same - regardless of a soft-spot for said artist. I love Wig Wam... I hate this CD. :(

S'ok mate, each to their own and all that. I said people would either like or hate it. I'm not in love with it, but think there are some good bits on it and I can certainly listen to it all the way through without getting too upset. :tumbsup:

Crap.

S'ok mate, each to their own and all that. I said people would either like or hate it. I'm not in love with it, but think there are some good bits on it and I can certainly listen to it all the way through without getting too upset. :tumbsup:

The first song i was like "this is different, its not what i want, but i can appreciate it even though its totally different... i can hear the Wig Wam choruses coming through".... any more then that was too much. This is actually his 2nd solo album btw... anyone know what the first one is like?

FarCry - High Gear

After waiting for almost 6 months for this it's finally playing in my stereo. So what does this thing sound like?

Well if you remember back to the days of being young and cruising around in the summer with your windows down and jamming to all of the great melodic rock bands of the day then that's what you get hear. I'm talking Def Leppard, early Winger, White Lion, Tyketto(I could totally hear Danny Vaughn singing these songs), Hardline, Danger Danger, Bon Jovi(back when they were good) and many others but it's all tied up with a solid modern production. Sure the spirit of the 80's/early 90's is found here but it doesn't sound dated at all and I could totally hear many of these songs on the radio today. Pete and the rest of the band along with Kivel and everyone else(Ty Simms) who worked on this should be giving each other highfives because they've hit a homerun with this release. Oh and it might be me but the guitar playing on this is just f#@king exceptional IMO and I'm not saying that because I know Pete, it's honestly that damn good. :bowdown:

BACKED!! :banger: It's really that good.... :banger: Really cool to hear the

Shotgun Alli Song "Heaven"...I always thought that it was a great

song!! :drink::beerbang::headbanger: Pete, GREAT JOB BRO!!!!!

It's a 10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drink:

FarCry - High Gear

I'd say I hear a bit of Lion as well, but it really has it's OWN

sound and style..

FarCry - High Gear

sound and style..

I totally agree. They don't sound like anyone in particular but I hear the spirit of some of the bands I mentioned up above. The more I listen to this disc(I've played it 5 times in 2 days) the more I hear that they have their own thing going on which is great. And the production that John and Ty put together is just excellent. As I've mentioned before I could totally hear these songs on the radio today.

FarCry - High Gear

sound and style..

I totally agree. They don't sound like anyone in particular but I hear the spirit of some of the bands I mentioned up above. The more I listen to this disc(I've played it 5 times in 2 days) the more I hear that they have their own thing going on which is great. And the production that John and Ty put together is just excellent. As I've mentioned before I could totally hear these songs on the radio today.

Backed Totally

Here's my spin on Farcry~ High Gear :D

1. Love Won't Wait - Great opening track. Pete leaves no doubt that he drives this song and his signature guitar sound shines throughout not only this track but the entire album. Awesome chorus on this one too.

2. Fine Line - This one has one of the coolest opening lines ever. It's infectious.

3. Have It All - The heaviest and my fave on the album. This one just rips from the get go. Pete shines on the solo and throughout the entire song. This song does Have It All. Truly.

4. Heaven - Stellar ballad ala the 80's.

5. Nowhere Fast - Not a fan of this tune at all. This song should have been left off the album. Enough said.

6. Out of Reach - Such a cool change of pace is this track. I love the "na na na na" chorus. While many times this would not work, this time it does. Very cool vocals on this one.

7. Kick Me Down - Nice Cowbell! Great guitar work by Pete. Not sure how he does it but I love the heavy guitar sound and then the sort of "pick strum" acoustic type sound he integrates into this one. Also love the chorus with the "slap in the face" lyrics. Very cool tune.

8. She's Crazy - I love songs that start with vocals. This one kind of plods along with a very cool rhythm and then kicks in with the "sit and spin" chorus. Awesome lyrics.

9. The Same Mistake - A very down to Earth tune. A mid-tempo rocker that pretty much sums up everyone's lives. Big dreams turn to reality. Life is what you make it. Most fall short, but many want more and try to live through their children only to find out that complacency breeds itself.

10. Talk to Me - LOVE the guitar in this one. Also the line "Don't give me that look" as it sounds like it is directed right at the listener with some serious angst. This is a grower as the more I hear it, the better it gets.

11. Those Were the Days - Party rock! Crack a beer and blow the speakers out with your favorite band cruising the lakes! Nothing serious here, just fun, nonsense rock and roll. A good way to end the album.

TNT..Transistor..............decent but doesn't blow me away....maybe it will grow on me.....

I've always been a big fan of that disc even though it sounds a little different to their classic stuff.

:agree: I can find something to like about pretty much every TNT disc (with Harnell).

TNT..Transistor..............decent but doesn't blow me away....maybe it will grow on me.....

I've always been a big fan of that disc even though it sounds a little different to their classic stuff.

:agree: I can find something to like about pretty much every TNT disc (with Harnell).

Yeah, this CD is simply excellent. Well worth letting it grow on you. And it will, I guarantee it.

LACUNA COIL - Shallow Life (advance)

Does anyone actually like this band? I don't, but I'd heard their new album was completely different so thought I'd actually listen to it when it got sent to me. Honestly, this is fucking horrible. It's unstructured/messy pop/rock, similar to stuff like The Rasmus, and is not really a metal album at all. They're trying to cover as many bases as possible here (including rap/rock) and they fail in every single one. Though to be fair, that bird's singing sounds okay, but the rest is piss-weak throwaway garbage. Do not spend money on this.

HIGH NOON: "No Turning Back"

If you like your hair-metal with a little bit of sassy swagger (the way Geoff likes his men), then this Eonian Records release won't leave you high 'n' dry. The singer sometimes sounds like a cross between Michael Bloodgood (Bloodgood) and Jason McMasters (Dangerous Toys) while still retaining his own vocal identity. There is no lack of hooks on this puppy and the overall sound is straight out of the late 80s, reminscent at times of Sweet F.A., Cinderella, and maybe some Dillinger. Definitely one of those CDs that you toss into the stereo and turn back the clocks to hard rock's glory days. Eonian Records is bringing this style of music back into the spotlight, and High Noon is one of the best they've offered so far (second only to Pistol Dawn, in my opinion).

HIGH NOON: "No Turning Back"

If you like your hair-metal with a little bit of sassy swagger (the way Geoff likes his men), then this Eonian Records release won't leave you high 'n' dry. The singer sometimes sounds like a cross between Michael Bloodgood (Bloodgood) and Jason McMasters (Dangerous Toys) while still retaining his own vocal identity. There is no lack of hooks on this puppy and the overall sound is straight out of the late 80s, reminscent at times of Sweet F.A., Cinderella, and maybe some Dillinger. Definitely one of those CDs that you toss into the stereo and turn back the clocks to hard rock's glory days. Eonian Records is bringing this style of music back into the spotlight, and High Noon is one of the best they've offered so far (second only to Pistol Dawn, in my opinion).

I also have really dug this one and is it me or does this cd get better as it goes?

From my first spin it seemed like the second half of the cd was even better than the first, which was very good too. :headbanger:

• 2 weeks later...

Koritni - Game Of Fools

A pretty solid hard rock release. This is Koritni's 2nd album, and theres good development from the boring debut (which had only 1 great track). This is for fans of Aussie pub rock ala Cold Chisel, Jimmy Barnes and Airbourne. The overall vibe of the album is not too dissimilar from the Stone Gods album. The lead singer sounds like Jimmy Barnes.

Icon - An Even More Pefect Union(Reissue)

I've had this on cdr for years and always wanted to get the real thing and with this just being reissued by the band I jumped at the chance. While it doesn't seem to be remastered it still sounds good and all of those songs are great exept for the Little Drummer Boy song. I never saw the point of that tune. The insert seems to be the same as the original with the band collage and the letters by Stephen Wilkinson and Dan Wexler. It would of been nice if they updated the insert a little and talked about the new lineup and the shows they've been doing. Either way I'm glad to have this and was able to grab it from NEH for $15.99.

I've had this on cdr for years and always wanted to get the real thing and with this just being reissued by the band I jumped at the chance. While it doesn't seem to be remastered it still sounds good and all of those songs are great exept for the Little Drummer Boy song. I never saw the point of that tune. The insert seems to be the same as the original with the band collage and the letters by Stephen Wilkinson and Dan Wexler. It would of been nice if they updated the insert a little and talked about the new lineup and the shows they've been doing. Either way I'm glad to have this and was able to grab it from NEH for $15.99.

Awesome disc. I think most those bonus tracks are better than the original songs, imo. 'Gold bullets' is one of my faves.

Awesome disc. I think most those bonus tracks are better than the original songs, imo. 'Gold bullets' is one of my faves.

I like that song too and yeah some of those tracks 11-16 are up there with the first 10 tracks especially track 11.