First Spin Impressions

JustJason

And drop through my letterbox it did. WOW This fucker rocks big time & sounds fantastic. It certainly isn't all one paced Doom doom doom like alot of freaks are making this out to be - jesus! have some of those people actually listened to this before commenting?. I'm finding this a really well paced album, except as Keef says above, it could have done with one of the faster tracks to kick you in the teeth from the off. Brilliant stuff and if you don't like at least some of this, you ain't metal my children :headbanger:

This is top notch stuff, I was telling my mate about this last night, some of the tracks are slow to mid paced but heavy, great guitar by Iommi, Dio`s vocals are still excellent too.

I have played this virtually non stop since Monday, outstanding album.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saga - The Human Condition

After the real treat of Michael Sadlers final Saga show on the recent 'Contact' live CD/DVD package, the new studio album arrives with new singer Rob Moratti. I had already heard 4 tracks off this new one, so new half of what to expect, but hearing and having the final product in my hands (nice digipack and all) I can now enjoy the whole thing properly. A new Saga album is always a major highlight of my year and as I have said before, apart from the patchy 'Pleasure and The Pain' album, they have NEVER let me down in the 30 years I have been listening to them (yes that long). Obviously Moratti is the main focal point on this one and everyone is gonna want to know what the end result is. Well, after a couple of spins I can gladly report that this new one hits all the right spots for existing Saga fans and hopefully will bring some new ones along for the ride aswell. Take out Moratti and you have the typical, if slightly more progressive, Saga sound, although there is nothing on here radically different than they have done before. Moratti's vocals are definitely toned down from some of his usual high pitched 'Helium' stuff and he actually fits in with the band and new musical direction very well. Songwise after a couple of spins, 'Step Inside' and 'Avalon' are my top picks, but there are no fillers on here to my ears. My first impression is that this is yet another first class Saga album and one I look forward to giving many more spins in the coming weeks.

I've only had the chance to listen to it once so far....and I'm having problems with the vocals as I can imagine Mr. Sadler singing some of these to the point I'm hearing how he would phrase it in my head. BUT this is more a problem with getting used to change - the tunes are pretty much ripper and after a few more plays I'll probably come to a similar conclusion to me olde mate above!

I just need more tiime...please please please can I have more time I beg ye!

Tesla - Forever More

Seems pretty good at first listen. The guitars during the verses of "Forever More" are a tad too modern for my liking, and I was a little apprehensive but the chorus put my mind at ease. I also really liked "I Wanna Live", "One Day At A Time", "All Of Me" and "Breakin' Free", all of which stood out. Surprisingly, the songs "Just In Case" and "The First Time", which most people consider to be highlights were the only two tracks that didn't grab my attention.

Heaven and Hell - THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

Y'all know I'm a big geek for the Dio era of Sabbath so obviously I've been waitin' anxiously for this one to drop. I've given it about a half dozen spins thus far and right now all I can say is (Stimpy Voice) HAPPY HAPPY, JOY, JOY! The only song I'm not all that crazy about at the moment is the opening track, "Atom & Evil," which is a slow doom crawler that probably would've worked better if it were farther down the running order. A punchier track would've been a more effective opener.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Dio still sounds like he could sing rings around guys half his age (I am convinced that he either bathes in, or gargles with, the blood of virgins) and Iommi and Geez lay down some hefty kaboom-age on the strings. Faves: "Bible Black," "Neverwhere," and "Eating the Cannibals."

In case I haven't made it clear enough already, this thing rules. Ozzy who? :blink:

I have to agree with everything your saying here,but is anyone else thinking that this disc is missing that one "big" rocker...that one song that just grabs you.As great as this disc is I just can't find that one song that stands out.Maybe it's just me.

Heaven and Hell - THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

Y'all know I'm a big geek for the Dio era of Sabbath so obviously I've been waitin' anxiously for this one to drop. I've given it about a half dozen spins thus far and right now all I can say is (Stimpy Voice) HAPPY HAPPY, JOY, JOY! The only song I'm not all that crazy about at the moment is the opening track, "Atom & Evil," which is a slow doom crawler that probably would've worked better if it were farther down the running order. A punchier track would've been a more effective opener.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Dio still sounds like he could sing rings around guys half his age (I am convinced that he either bathes in, or gargles with, the blood of virgins) and Iommi and Geez lay down some hefty kaboom-age on the strings. Faves: "Bible Black," "Neverwhere," and "Eating the Cannibals."

In case I haven't made it clear enough already, this thing rules. Ozzy who? :blink:

Interesting... I played the soundbyte of the opening track & immediately lost interest - but if it's the weakest track then I might just check out the rest....

And that is why I haaaaaaat playing samples.

My opinion always changes when the cd is in my stereo and I can hear the complete songs over and over.

Yeah I know it - but I only got into Dio via Killswitch Engage's cover version so it's not an automatic buy for me, and when the first track sounded so slow & doomy.... Will check out more of it....

Surely you must have Holy Diver?

I don't think he does. :unsure:

If he doesn't he at least needs that disc, Last in Line, all of the Dio Sabbath releases, all Dio Rainbow releases and you can't go wrong with Dream Evil, Lock Up the Wolves, Killing the Dragon, Magica or the criminally underrated Strange Highways. Of course I just almost named the entire Dio catalog minus a few solo discs and Elf but hey I'm a little biased as I think everything he does is great.

And for the record if you want a fast paced song on the new H&H cd then "Eating the Cannibals" is for you. :banger:

OCEANO - Depths

DeathCore is usually either awesome (Suicide Silence/The Red Chord/Red Shore) or utter shite (everything else). This is one of the best things I've ever heard, utterly brutal with massive breakdowns, but very imaginative & the vocals are even decipherable in places. My girlfriend still said this "sounds like a machine gun going off with a dog barking over the top", but she likes Linkin Park.... :blink:. This is killer.

DAATH - The Concealers

Second disc from awesome U.S Modern Metallers. The new vocalist is great, and "Sharpen The Blades" is a melodic monster. It's brilliantly produced, and aggressive, but very hooky. Cool stuff.

CHIMAIRA - The Infection

Along with LAMB OF GOD, CHIMAIRA are one of the biggest current Metal bands after 2 awesome previous discs sold well. This time they're experimenting and are more aggressive (verging on Death Metal at times) and almost Industrial too - with lots of distortion and studio tricks. The drumming is sensational (Andols Herrick is as good as anyone in Metal) but there are too few new ideas, and even fewer actual riffs. Disappointing.

• 2023 Gold Donors
And drop through my letterbox it did. WOW This fucker rocks big time & sounds fantastic. It certainly isn't all one paced Doom doom doom like alot of freaks are making this out to be - jesus! have some of those people actually listened to this before commenting?. I'm finding this a really well paced album, except as Keef says above, it could have done with one of the faster tracks to kick you in the teeth from the off. Brilliant stuff and if you don't like at least some of this, you ain't metal my children :headbanger:

Backed, this is an asskicker, with the whole band firing on all cylinders and wrapped up in a crushing production. Get this now. :banger:

Backed...I'll also say that Tony Iommi's Playing is probably (solo wise)

the Best stuff he has done in a Long time...maybe ever..he really

shines and doesn't waste a note!!!

Yeah,i think soundwise these are without a doubt some of the best sounds he's (Tony)ever put to tape..some wicked tone!RJD sounds great,and i dig the ten song count,doesn't drag on and on.On a couple tunes it sounds like RJD fronting 'Candlemass'..not bad.

Backed, this is an asskicker, with the whole band firing on all cylinders and wrapped up in a crushing production. Get this now. :banger:

Backed...I'll also say that Tony Iommi's Playing is probably (solo wise)

the Best stuff he has done in a Long time...maybe ever..he really

shines and doesn't waste a note!!!

Yeah,i think soundwise these are without a doubt some of the best sounds he's (Tony)ever put to tape..some wicked tone!RJD sounds great,and i dig the ten song count,doesn't drag on and on.On a couple tunes it sounds like RJD fronting 'Candlemass'..not bad.

Not a filler on the album for me. Every riff, guitar solo, lyric is well thought out. RJD still sounds awesome to these ears.

Also there are some seriously good songs on this album with choruses which really get in your head after a few listens.

Each day throws up a new fav which is the sign of a fine album.

My Favorite Highway - 'How To Call A Bluff' ; Wow, this sounded really good. A bit lighter than a lot of the modern rock most of us generally listen to here, but delicious melodies and very strong songs. I think this one might appeal to the Fallbrooke fans out there. Can't say too much more until my next spin, but I really dug this on first listen.

Solstate - 'Whispers & Tremors' ; Another good band from New Zealand (with Goodnight Nurse). Not amazing, but this sounded like good solid modern rock, very similar to Juke Kartel. Also worthy of a few more probing spins.

Chris Laney - Pure

This sounds pretty good, I like my rock hard driving, it kinda reminds me of "Second Coming" era Shotgun Messiah... here's the thing... I don't like Chris Laney's voice, totally doesn't work for me. I'm going to try and get used to it, maybe subsequent spins will help, but for now this will not be getting a lot of spins from me. Maybe I just set my expectations too high, ah the price of optimism... :(

Chris Laney - Pure

This sounds pretty good, I like my rock hard driving, it kinda reminds me of "Second Coming" era Shotgun Messiah... here's the thing... I don't like Chris Laney's voice, totally doesn't work for me. I'm going to try and get used to it, maybe subsequent spins will help, but for now this will not be getting a lot of spins from me. Maybe I just set my expectations too high, ah the price of optimism... :(

I'm glad you said that, was thinking the same thing (from the soundbytes). Not a patch on the Johnny Lima IMO....

THE TARDY BROTHERS - Bloodline

Solo disc from the Obituary bros (2 months before their new CD), and it's a pretty big departure from the sound of the Obies. This is bbq n' beers-style Rock/Metal that actually sounds pretty decent to me - despite a lot of negative press. The aggressive vocal style doesn't work all that well with this material, but this is a pretty cool disc.

Chris Laney - Pure

I'm glad you said that, was thinking the same thing (from the soundbytes). Not a patch on the Johnny Lima IMO....

No question, not even on the same playing field IMO.

Chris Laney - Pure

I think its a bit closer than that, but JL definitely gets the nod from me.

'Make You Cry', 'The Stranger In You' and 'Fire & Ice' are a killer trio of songs on the Chris Laney, but overall the JL just has a more listenable sound (better production), better vocals, better solos and the real killer songs are just plain better that CL.

Oh and better hooks too.

Chris Laney - Pure

'Make You Cry', 'The Stranger In You' and 'Fire & Ice' are a killer trio of songs on the Chris Laney, but overall the JL just has a more listenable sound (better production), better vocals, better solos and the real killer songs are just plain better that CL.

Oh and better hooks too.

I haven't heard the Chis Laney so I can't compare but I will say that the Lima disc is excellent although I've never heard his other stuff outside some samples that sound to close to Bryan Adams for my tastes.

Chris Laney - Pure

Wow...I think the Vox really help it stand out...kinda sounds like

Dave Leppard mixed with Zinny Zan IMO...the background vox are HUGE...

Chris Laney - Pure

I like the backing vox for the record, and I like Zinny's style but for some reason Chris' voice sounds too thin over the big fat production... I don't know, I probably just have bad taste or something... :(

Chris Laney - Pure

I probably just have bad taste or something... :(

I was going to say that but you beat me to it. :lol:

Chris Laney - Pure

Oh and better hooks too.

I'd partially agree with you right up till the end. Firstly, how could you not mention 'I Hate Yer Guts' as a highlight of the Laney disc? But yeah, I agree that Lima has better production and better solos. Where Laney takes home this battle though, for me, is that the best songs on that crucify the best on the Lima disc and Laney writes much better hooks.

As I was saying the other day about Nural, Lima knows how to write a huge chorus, but he just doesn't seem to have the knack for that real killer hook to make the song perfect.

As for vocals... well, to be blatant, they're both very poor vocalists. Lima is probably a bit weaker than Laney, but either way it's not really an issue for me. Both are adequate.

7th Heaven - 'Faces time replaces' ; being a huge fan of this band I've been after this for ages. Luckily I had heard over the years that it was not as good as their later stuff, so I didn't expect much... but wow. This is SO bad I had to clean vomit off the floor afterwards. Absolutely terrible. The song 'War Machine' is on it, and that's one of my least favourite songs on the 'Silver' discs but it's probably the 2nd best song here. Seriously, this CD is pathetic. Awful lyrics, awful music and awful songs. Just atrocious.

Pistol Dawn - 'Conversation Peice' ; more on this in the Eonian threads, but this is my fave off the lot (like I figured it would be). Really good disc with some great songs. I see a bit of the Lillian Axe influence others have cited too... which is nice. Great stuff.

Dead By April - s/t ; wow. Nice. Straydog was asking me about this one and I knew nothing about it, but I do now. This one will rate well with most of the modern rockers here, I dare say. Very good disc. Heavy, melodic. Nice.

7th Heaven - 'Faces time replaces' ; being a huge fan of this band I've been after this for ages. Luckily I had heard over the years that it was not as good as their later stuff, so I didn't expect much... but wow. This is SO bad I had to clean vomit off the floor afterwards. Absolutely terrible. The song 'War Machine' is on it, and that's one of my least favourite songs on the 'Silver' discs but it's probably the 2nd best song here. Seriously, this CD is pathetic. Awful lyrics, awful music and awful songs. Just atrocious.

I held on to that for years... but finally got rid of it! Yeh its bad. Even the band hates it..... Now you gotta hear the Christmas album HAHAH

Chris Laney - Pure

Oh and better hooks too.

Where Laney takes home this battle though, for me, is that the best songs on that crucify the best on the Lima disc and Laney writes much better hooks.

Well for me the 2 best songs on either album are 'Hate To Love You' and 'Caught In The Middle'...both of which are of course JL tracks

Also after spinning both a few times, I was humming some of Lima songs but not the Laney ones....which to me spells better hooks.

Cheers

Chris Laney - Pure

Oh and better hooks too.

Where Laney takes home this battle though, for me, is that the best songs on that crucify the best on the Lima disc and Laney writes much better hooks.

Well for me the 2 best songs on either album are 'Hate To Love You' and 'Caught In The Middle'...both of which are of course JL tracks

Also after spinning both a few times, I was humming some of Lima songs but not the Laney ones....which to me spells better hooks.

Cheers

Backed.