First Spin Impressions

JustJason

PRIMAL FEAR - 16.6 (Before the Devil Knows You're Dead)

Got a slip-case advance of this, & first spin is a little overwhelming. There's so much going on here, and anyone who didn't like the direction the band took from "Seven Seals" onwards is going to hate this! Like the last album it's a mixture of standard Melodic Metal tunes and epic concepts, with the latter working much better IMO. Ballad "Hands of Time" (where all the band share lead-vocals) is amazing, & "No Smoke Without Fire" is their most adventurous tune to date. Strikes a little of a band confused about their direction as they still throw in enough straight-ahead tunes to please older fans - & frustratingly they still can't write a full album of great songs (a couple of blatant fillers here) - but it's well worth pre-ordering this if you liked "New Religion"....

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a slip-case advance of this, & first spin is a little overwhelming. There's so much going on here, and anyone who didn't like the direction the band took from "Seven Seals" onwards is going to hate this! Like the last album it's a mixture of standard Melodic Metal tunes and epic concepts, with the latter working much better IMO. Ballad "Hands of Time" (where all the band share lead-vocals) is amazing, & "No Smoke Without Fire" is their most adventurous tune to date. Strikes a little of a band confused about their direction as they still throw in enough straight-ahead tunes to please older fans - & frustratingly they still can't write a full album of great songs (a couple of blatant fillers here) - but it's well worth pre-ordering this if you liked "New Religion"....

I'll be buying this as I liked New Religion and Seven Seals.

Sure I prefer the old Priest inpired sound but I enjoy the fact that they're taking some chances. :tumbsup:

I'll be buying this as I liked New Religion and Seven Seals.

Sure I prefer the old Priest inpired sound but I enjoy the fact that they're taking some chances. :tumbsup:

Yep - they're taking A LOT of chances on this one, it sounds huge. It's far from easy listening stuff though.

Oh, & Magnus Karlsson's guitar work is killer....

Great White-Rising

This album seems to be getting a whole lot of hatred thrown towards it for it being very laid back and not having any real rocking songs. While I'd rather GW record an album like their first 6 releases, I do have to admit that this is still a very good 70's style rock record. Sure it would be nice for them to make something heavier but I'll be damned if these songs are so f#@king catchy and Kendall plays his ass off with some great bluesy solos througout the entire disc. If you can handle the softer side and less rocking side of GW then there's a lot to like on this disc. But with that being said this is still their worst album to date but that's not a slight on this release but more of credit that goes toward the great catalog that they have. I don't know how many future spins I'll give this disc but for now it's the perfect cd for when I'm wanting to chill out and would probably be nice to play when I'm hungover.

Great White-Rising

This album seems to be getting a whole lot of hatred thrown towards it for it being very laid back and not having any real rocking songs. While I'd rather GW record an album like their first 6 releases, I do have to admit that this is still a very good 70's style rock record. Sure it would be nice for them to make something heavier but I'll be damned if these songs are so f#@king catchy and Kendall plays his ass off with some great bluesy solos througout the entire disc. If you can handle the softer side and less rocking side of GW then there's a lot to like on this disc. But with that being said this is still their worst album to date but that's not a slight on this release but more of credit that goes toward the great catalog that they have. I don't know how many future spins I'll give this disc but for now it's the perfect cd for when I'm wanting to chill out and would probably be nice to play when I'm hungover.

Make sure you pack it for Dakota Rock Fest Wes, you can listen to it on your way back to Wyoming...... :whistle:

Koritni - Game Of Fools

A pretty solid hard rock release. This is Koritni's 2nd album, and theres good development from the boring debut (which had only 1 great track). This is for fans of Aussie pub rock ala Cold Chisel, Jimmy Barnes and Airbourne. The overall vibe of the album is not too dissimilar from the Stone Gods album. The lead singer sounds like Jimmy Barnes.

I LOVE this band. I did not know this was out yet. I will have to track it down!

Gynger Lynn - s/t ; Man the production is a real shame on this one because otherwise the songs are great. Vocally, the dude reminds me a bit off that guy from Maximum, who recorded the 'Just for kicks' disc. Song-wise, just good solid early 90's hard rock with a commercial edge. Really nothing at all to complain about, aside from the sound. Song-wise I'd rank these guys above High Noon and possibly even Charlemagne. Haven't heard Pistol Dawn yet, but from the sample I heard they sound the best of the lot.

Saga - The Human Condition

After the real treat of Michael Sadlers final Saga show on the recent 'Contact' live CD/DVD package, the new studio album arrives with new singer Rob Moratti. I had already heard 4 tracks off this new one, so new half of what to expect, but hearing and having the final product in my hands (nice digipack and all) I can now enjoy the whole thing properly. A new Saga album is always a major highlight of my year and as I have said before, apart from the patchy 'Pleasure and The Pain' album, they have NEVER let me down in the 30 years I have been listening to them (yes that long). Obviously Moratti is the main focal point on this one and everyone is gonna want to know what the end result is. Well, after a couple of spins I can gladly report that this new one hits all the right spots for existing Saga fans and hopefully will bring some new ones along for the ride aswell. Take out Moratti and you have the typical, if slightly more progressive, Saga sound, although there is nothing on here radically different than they have done before. Moratti's vocals are definitely toned down from some of his usual high pitched 'Helium' stuff and he actually fits in with the band and new musical direction very well. Songwise after a couple of spins, 'Step Inside' and 'Avalon' are my top picks, but there are no fillers on here to my ears. My first impression is that this is yet another first class Saga album and one I look forward to giving many more spins in the coming weeks.

Great White-Rising

Make sure you pack it for Dakota Rock Fest Wes, you can listen to it on your way back to Wyoming...... :whistle:

:rofl2: You aren't lying my friend and I'll probably need it both Friday and Saturday morning as well.

Gynger Lynn - s/t ; Man the production is a real shame on this one because otherwise the songs are great. Vocally, the dude reminds me a bit off that guy from Maximum, who recorded the 'Just for kicks' disc. Song-wise, just good solid early 90's hard rock with a commercial edge. Really nothing at all to complain about, aside from the sound. Song-wise I'd rank these guys above High Noon and possibly even Charlemagne. Haven't heard Pistol Dawn yet, but from the sample I heard they sound the best of the lot.

Wow I'm suprised by this as I felt like while they have some real good songs that they don't come close to the Charlemagne or High Noon. Even though I like the Gynger Lynn their the 4th best of the Eonian discs.

Wow I'm suprised by this as I felt like while they have some real good songs that they don't come close to the Charlemagne or High Noon. Even though I like the Gynger Lynn their the 4th best of the Eonian discs.

Yeah, I need to spin them all properly before any final decisions, but I do really like Gynger Lynn. Charlemagne are very good, but the more I spin it maybe the less the songs grab me. They remind me a bit of Mara who had everything but that killer hook going for them. High Noon are solid, but I definitely think Gynger Lynn edge them out songwise, and I just wish there was a better production job to show that. Gynger Lynn's only other downside (aside from the production) is the weaker vocalist of the 4 bands too.

Heaven and Hell - THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

Y'all know I'm a big geek for the Dio era of Sabbath so obviously I've been waitin' anxiously for this one to drop. I've given it about a half dozen spins thus far and right now all I can say is (Stimpy Voice) HAPPY HAPPY, JOY, JOY! The only song I'm not all that crazy about at the moment is the opening track, "Atom & Evil," which is a slow doom crawler that probably would've worked better if it were farther down the running order. A punchier track would've been a more effective opener.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Dio still sounds like he could sing rings around guys half his age (I am convinced that he either bathes in, or gargles with, the blood of virgins) and Iommi and Geez lay down some hefty kaboom-age on the strings. Faves: "Bible Black," "Neverwhere," and "Eating the Cannibals."

In case I haven't made it clear enough already, this thing rules. Ozzy who? :blink:

Y'all know I'm a big geek for the Dio era of Sabbath so obviously I've been waitin' anxiously for this one to drop. I've given it about a half dozen spins thus far and right now all I can say is (Stimpy Voice) HAPPY HAPPY, JOY, JOY! The only song I'm not all that crazy about at the moment is the opening track, "Atom & Evil," which is a slow doom crawler that probably would've worked better if it were farther down the running order. A punchier track would've been a more effective opener.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Dio still sounds like he could sing rings around guys half his age (I am convinced that he either bathes in, or gargles with, the blood of virgins) and Iommi and Geez lay down some hefty kaboom-age on the strings. Faves: "Bible Black," "Neverwhere," and "Eating the Cannibals."

In case I haven't made it clear enough already, this thing rules. Ozzy who? :blink:

SHARON!!!!!!!!!

SHARON!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping my copy of this little beauty will be dropping through my lettterbox later today.

And drop through my letterbox it did. WOW This fucker rocks big time & sounds fantastic. It certainly isn't all one paced Doom doom doom like alot of freaks are making this out to be - jesus! have some of those people actually listened to this before commenting?. I'm finding this a really well paced album, except as Keef says above, it could have done with one of the faster tracks to kick you in the teeth from the off. Brilliant stuff and if you don't like at least some of this, you ain't metal my children :headbanger:

And drop through my letterbox it did. WOW This fucker rocks big time & sounds fantastic. It certainly isn't all one paced Doom doom doom like alot of freaks are making this out to be - jesus! have some of those people actually listened to this before commenting?. I'm finding this a really well paced album, except as Keef says above, it could have done with one of the faster tracks to kick you in the teeth from the off. Brilliant stuff and if you don't like at least some of this, you ain't metal my children :headbanger:

Well that's interesting cos I was avoiding this for the exact reason you state.

May have to check it out.

Backed, this is an asskicker, with the whole band firing on all cylinders and wrapped up in a crushing production. Get this now. :banger:

Backed, this is an asskicker, with the whole band firing on all cylinders and wrapped up in a crushing production. Get this now. :banger:

Backed. :headbanger:

Interesting... I played the soundbyte of the opening track & immediately lost interest - but if it's the weakest track then I might just check out the rest....

Backed...I'll also say that Tony Iommi's Playing is probably (solo wise)

the Best stuff he has done in a Long time...maybe ever..he really

shines and doesn't waste a note!!!

Exactly why people should always make up their own minds up and listen to it themselves mate.

Exactly why people should always make up their own minds up and listen to it themselves mate.

Im in town over the weekend so if I can find a copy I may pick it up.

Interesting... I played the soundbyte of the opening track & immediately lost interest - but if it's the weakest track then I might just check out the rest....

And that is why I haaaaaaat playing samples.

My opinion always changes when the cd is in my stereo and I can hear the complete songs over and over.

My opinion always changes when the cd is in my stereo and I can hear the complete songs over and over.

Yeah I know it - but I only got into Dio via Killswitch Engage's cover version so it's not an automatic buy for me, and when the first track sounded so slow & doomy.... Will check out more of it....

Yeah I know it - but I only got into Dio via Killswitch Engage's cover version so it's not an automatic buy for me, and when the first track sounded so slow & doomy.... Will check out more of it....

Surely you must have Holy Diver?