First Spin Impressions

JustJason

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gynger Lynn-Gynger Lynn.

My Friend Carey bought this and brought it over the other night

so I could check it out...what a waste of time..bland, boring,tired, cliched..

and those are the good points...I have heard some people really hyping this

up as a long lost hidden gem...it's a lie..it's crap...

Wow that was harsh. :lol:

I mean I don't think it's the lost "gem" that some make it out to be but I think for an unreleased album it's pretty cool to hear stuff like this since there were worse bands out there that put out more than one album. The low point for me was the production but there was some songs IMO but their my least fav of the Eonian releases so far.

Are people really talking that highly about this one? I think you can only judge it as a set of unreleased demos with a spiffy presentation. For what it is - a collection of old demos - I do think the songs are quite good, but as Wes says, the sound is a real drawback.

With evedrything I'd heard about the sounds I was actually expectiung a lot worse. Sure, it's by no means top notch production, but there's worse sounding stuff out there.

And as for bland, I thought Charlemange take this title based on first listen. They seemed to have some really good songs, but just as many bland/flat tracks too.

Pistol Dawn was my favourite based on first listen, whilt High Noon seemed all over the place.

Randy Jackson's China Rain.Played it last night,enjoyed bits and pieces of it and now spinnin' it again and i'm enjoying it alot more. :tumbsup:

That was one of those cd's I nearly gave up on after a couple of spins, but I played it again after about 4 months and really got into it. Glad I persevered as there are some nice tracks on it.

Thin Lizzy-Still Dangerous...Live At The Tower Theater Philly 1977(VH1 Clasic Records)

What a great sounding live disc.You can tell there have ben some touch ups here and there but the raw,live sound still shines thru.The band sounds at the top of there game here.This is my favorite version of Thin Lizzy with Gorham and Robertson on guitars.You pretty much get all the hits here Jailbreak,Cowboy Song and Boys Are Back In Town but some other real gems are here also...Dancing In The Moonlight(even pulled out the sax for this one),Opium Trail and others.Nice addition for any Thin Lizzy fan.

Sinner.......Comin' Out Fighting..........good stuff.....always been a Sinner fan and I'm just starting to check out their older releases....

It appears that a couple of their late 90's discs are getting reissued soon on Metal Mind records.

I only have 'There Will Be Execution" and "End of Sanctuary" and both are very good IMO. :headbanger:

Freakshow - s/t

The new supergroup of sorts with members of QR, Cinderella and Miss Crazy.

This cd f#@king rocks while sounding new and fresh but still with hints of a heavier and sleazier Cinderella.

Very good stuff IMO and a disc that no member of this board that enjoys their rock hard and in your face should be without. Two thumbs up go to the band and to Sam and Retrospect Records for putting this out. :headbanger:

The Lou Gramm Band - S/T

I had heard a few bad 'Rumours' around this one, but after hearing a couple of tracks decided to take a punt, being a huge Lou Gramm fan that I am. Firstly, his voice is definitely not 'Shot' like some are making it out to be. OK maybe not the soaring vocals of days gone by, but he sounds just fine on most of the tracks one here. Songwise, this starts off pretty strongly with the opening salvo of 'Baptized By Fire' and the excellent 'Made To Be Broken' - nice mid tempo AOR and 2 very nice tracks. Anyone into the Foreigner style thing aren't going to have any problems with these at all (and the whole album in general for that matter). 'So Great' and 'Single Vision' are the two other standout tracks for me, again both mid tempo songs, but both with good choruses.

One of the things I am sure some people will get all hot under the collar about though will be the lyrics on some of these songs, as some have quite a strong Christian message in them, the 2 ballads 'That's The Way God Planned It' and 'You Saved Me' being a prime examples. Both nice songs in their own right, but I am sure they (and some others here) will get slated because of their lyrical stance. This disc does have it's genuine flaws though, as in the few average fillers on here 'Raise Yer Bones' 'Redeemer' and Euro bonus track 'It's Not Too Late' being the worst offenders. Production is very good without being too slickly done and the whole album has a nice mix in general and sounds excellent.

This won't win any awards come the years end, and isn't the most exciting thing you are gonna hear all year ( or any year for that matter) but it is nevertheless, an enjoyable little disc with some nice tracks on show and Of course Lou's magic voice

Firehouse - O2

Solid, but nothing special. The first few tracks seem to have that "3" vibe to them... but is that rap on one of those songs at the start??? "Dont fade on me" is a nice track.. but i lost interest towards the end. A decent disc to have but nothing on the first three.

Empires Of Eden - Songs Of War And Vengeance

New melodic metal/power metal project from ex-Dungeon guitarist. Fans of Aussie power metal/melodic metal will lap this up as it has a bunch of guest appearances. Nicely played quality metal, but i just need more hooks! Still fans of Dungeon, Black Majesty etc, and hints of Helloween and Primal Fear may lap this up.

Firehouse - O2

Solid, but nothing special. The first few tracks seem to have that "3" vibe to them... but is that rap on one of those songs at the start??? "Dont fade on me" is a nice track.. but i lost interest towards the end. A decent disc to have but nothing on the first three.

I still like that album but hate the rap style in "The Dark".

"Jumpin" is a fun song though and there's a couple of good ballads plus the last tune is the best.

Firehouse - O2

I still like that album but hate the rap style in "The Dark".

"Jumpin" is a fun song though and there's a couple of good ballads plus the last tune is the best.

I should be able to appreciate it more after a few spins..

Witness - S/T (1988)

Disappointment. Too much "pop" feeling and not a single really catchy song for me... 5/10

Yeah I kinda thought this one was a bit overrated too. Not as bad as 5/10 but not exactly a classic...

NURAL - Entitlement

This is my first ever music download, and it's only because I just had to have this album. It's ultra-catchy Modern Rock that is just about one of the best this genre has ever produced IMO. Those that don't like this genre won't be convinced by this, but for me it just doesn't get much better than tracks 3-7 which are all stunning. It closes with two weaker tunes, and it's just so immediate that I expect to have played this to death within 3 weeks, but songs like "Up Against", "I've Been There Before" & "Physics" all have killer melodic choruses that verge on AOR. Tough call with this & KILLSWITCH ENGAGE for my album of the year I reckon...

DESTROPHY "The Way of Your World"

This is a unique Metal band who mix stuff like Slipknot/Five Finger Death Punch and even some Vanden Plas/Dream Theater, and it's pretty extraordinary stuff. Very heavy but with killer melodic chorus lines, and so much variety it will probably alienate all but the most open-minded. I love anything that goes off at tangents and has big cross-over potential, but also retains a big hook in each tune. Only problems here are too many songs, and a pretty horrible production (the mix is a shocker). Otherwise it's a killer CD...

Witness - S/T (1988)

Disappointment. Too much "pop" feeling and not a single really catchy song for me... 5/10

Not one catchy song? I counted at least 8 on here. Brilliant disc imo. ;)

Witness - S/T (1988)

Not one catchy song? I counted at least 8 on here. Brilliant disc imo. ;)

I'll give it a few more spins, who knows... :popcorn: