First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Sparzanza - Banisher Of The Light (-06)

Hard/Metal rock from Sweden. Got this cheaply. Never heard of them until I got this release and was quite suprised that it was rather good. Well at least after a quick spin through several tracks. I'm gonna take a good listen and see if this one is a keeper.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prophet.........Recycled

Sounds pretty good to these ears so I'll have to track down their other 2 releases....

Cycle Of The Moon is even better and I'm after debut myself too...

If ever there was a case of the first two discs murdering the third, then here it is. Admittedly it is quite different to the first two, but 'Recycled' is pretty poor to these ears.

Prophet.........Recycled

Sounds pretty good to these ears so I'll have to track down their other 2 releases....

Cycle Of The Moon is even better and I'm after debut myself too...

If ever there was a case of the first two discs murdering the third, then here it is. Admittedly it is quite different to the first two, but 'Recycled' is pretty poor to these ears.

Once I hear the other 2 I may agree with you..... :)

Skinny Horse - 'No pain no gain' ; honestly, pretty damn average. Some of it sounded pretty cool but overall the songs just died in general.

Dear Diary - 'Windy city rockers' ; apparently recorded in 1992 and unreleased... which is a shame. This one is a nice slab of commercial hard rock. Not perfect by any means, but far more than adequate. 'Mama said' and 'Red rose burn' were particularly good. Good stuff.

Legal Tender - 'Demos' ; from 1990, I believe, and it's no secret why these guys never got signed. Because they suck. Boring straight ahead hard rock.

Silly Fools - 'Mini' EP ; first two songs are magnificent, as good as the material on 'The One'. The rest is all okay, but not great. In fact, 'One generation' kind of sucked.

Vera Cruz - 'Hot Game' ; not bad. Keyboard orientated AOR / melodic rock which would probably appeal to a few here. Better than I expected... and cool cover too.

Cruella D'Ville - 'Showdown in Tinseltown' ; pretty nice. A few fillers along the way but some pretty good tracks too. Yeah, not bad. Not as "sleazy" as the name would have you expect.

Laos - 'Womanizer' ; Unreleased 2nd disc, I believe. There is some really nice stuff here (albeit lighter than the harder rocking debut) but what really lets them down is some really, really bad fillers. By the end of the disc, it's almost 50/50 with these awful fillers, which all sound the same. The good tracks are solid, though. Could have been a good disc.

Julian Drive - 'My coming day' ; yawn. In a year when I have heard some truly cracking modern rock releases this just doesn't begin to cut it. Dismissed.

EYE - 2 Hearts

Eye are another Swedish AOR band that are doing a fairly similar thing to H.E.A.T, this is their 7-track debut album that is getting a fair bit of hype & good reviews across AOR sites. The only problem really is that it's total shit. Terrible vocals (seriously out-of-tune throughout), an utterly abysmal production (ironically the one track labelled as a 'demo' is the best sounding of the lot), and even some instruments that are out of tune (i.e, the guitar). Some of the songs are half-decent here, & I like their use of keyboards, so there is some promise - but not much. Crap.

EYE - 2 Hearts

Eye are another Swedish AOR band that are doing a fairly similar thing to H.E.A.T, this is their 7-track debut album that is getting a fair bit of hype & good reviews across AOR sites. The only problem really is that it's total shit. Terrible vocals (seriously out-of-tune throughout), an utterly abysmal production (ironically the one track labelled as a 'demo' is the best sounding of the lot), and even some instruments that are out of tune (i.e, the guitar). Some of the songs are half-decent here, & I like their use of keyboards, so there is some promise - but not much. Crap.

I quite like this to be honest. I think it is a bit rough around the edges as I said when I posted up a link to the EP. and it does have a demo feel in places, but I think this shows real promise, especially songwise and I look forward to a full album. Total shit I would say is a little strong mate, but each to their own.

EYE - 2 Hearts

I quite like this to be honest. I think it is a bit rough around the edges as I said when I posted up a link to the EP. and it does have a demo feel in places, but I think this shows real promise, especially songwise and I look forward to a full album. Total shit I would say is a little strong mate, but each to their own.

:lol: Tim is great! When I had the office to myself yesterday I actually played all the songs on myspace one after another and found myself underwhelmed by them. Seriously, sounds fine to me but not amazing. That said, Tim, if you want to trade the EP with something on my awesome list of trades I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. :)

EYE - 2 Hearts

:lol: Tim is great! When I had the office to myself yesterday I actually played all the songs on myspace one after another and found myself underwhelmed by them. Seriously, sounds fine to me but not amazing. That said, Tim, if you want to trade the EP with something on my awesome list of trades I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. :)

I listened to these guys on myspace ,,, cant even remember them, as i closed it pretty quickly.

EYE - 2 Hearts

Yeah to be fair calling it total shit was harsh. :lol: But I do think I could probably record something that sounds better than this with just a rubbish tape recorder in my bedroom. They can definitely write songs though, so credit for that, & if they can continue to write hooky-tunes & can get a half-decent producer then I could be interested in a full album. I'm not sure there's any hope for the guitar player (seriously, did he not bother to tune it in?) or the vocalist though?...

EYE - 2 Hearts

Yeah to be fair calling it total shit was harsh. :lol: But I do think I could probably record something that sounds better than this with just a rubbish tape recorder in my bedroom. They can definitely write songs though, so credit for that, & if they can continue to write hooky-tunes & can get a half-decent producer then I could be interested in a full album. I'm not sure there's any hope for the guitar player (seriously, did he not bother to tune it in?) or the vocalist though?...

Yeah - That guitar in places is annoying. Just under the note all the time. Did no one else notice - The guitarist even produced the damned thing. I noticed that the vocalist is fine when he sticks to the song, but when he goes off trying to be Steve Perry, the weaknesses in his voice become apparent. Anyway, the songs are good and the Keyboard player knows what he is doing, so as you say ther is some promise there.

Ide Cure - 'Eclipse' ; Seriously not a bad CD. I actually really like the sound of this band. Yes, the songs aren't really that great here, but not all are so bad either. I did really like 'Living Water' and 'The only thing'. I'd actually like to get the rest of their discography now.

The Action - 'Louder than words' ; Wow, a bit of a surprise here. One of the better AOR releases Ive heard from Retrospect. Heavily keyboard driven, but cool stuff. The first song is excellent and despite having one of the worse songs I've ever heard ('Willing to change') this is mostly pretty damn decent.

Ide Cure - 'Eclipse' ; Seriously not a bad CD. I actually really like the sound of this band. Yes, the songs aren't really that great here, but not all are so bad either. I did really like 'Living Water' and 'The only thing'. I'd actually like to get the rest of their discography now.

I have only heard the first 3 albums, but I only have the '2nd Avenue' disc from 1990 which is pretty good in places - you may like that one I reckon! I would love the first 2, but they are pretty pricey the ones I have seen.

Cruella D'Ville - 'Showdown in Tinseltown' ; pretty nice. A few fillers along the way but some pretty good tracks too. Yeah, not bad. Not as "sleazy" as the name would have you expect.

I think I described it as somewhere in between Melodic Hard Rock and Melodic Metal but your right by the name you'd think they were a sleaze band but either way I like it. :tumbsup:

Line of Fire - Line of Fire

Wow, this is just f'n great stuff from beginning to end on my first listen. Tons of talent in the band, an 80's style production with 70's style songwriting sensibilities, a killer combination. A ton of guitars, but tastefully done with a nice balance to the mix. I don't want to gush too much but if you like a lot of guitars, a ton of harmony vocals and great hooks... this may well be a good pickup for you. I'm just a little sad I didn't pick this up before now.

Brother Firetribe - Heart Full of Fire

Yeah I know, I'm a late bloomer... took me awhile to pick this one up and I was really looking forward to it, samples I've heard sounded flawless, and it seems like just about everybody loves this... upon slapping it into the player and giving a listen, sadly I don't share that love. :( Flawless production, big hooks, but damned if there aren't WAY too many soft edges and rounded corners. Nothing's really grabbing me with this one. These guys are clearly talented as hell, not only just as players, but as producers and it shows throughout the disc. But where's the heart? It feels like everything's being dragged down, almost like the tempo's too slow, but I think it's just because they spent WAY too much time getting it "just so." As a result I find no technical fault with it, and yet it's still missing something so very important. If I was a girly-man I would cry with a deep sense of loss, but being a manly-man I feel the urge to crush things instead... ;)

I'll keep giving this one some listens, maybe it will grow on me, at the very least it is a joy to listen to from a production standpoint.

Yeah I know, I'm a late bloomer... took me awhile to pick this one up and I was really looking forward to it, samples I've heard sounded flawless, and it seems like just about everybody loves this... upon slapping it into the player and giving a listen, sadly I don't share that love. :( Flawless production, big hooks, but damned if there aren't WAY too many soft edges and rounded corners. Nothing's really grabbing me with this one. These guys are clearly talented as hell, not only just as players, but as producers and it shows throughout the disc. But where's the heart? It feels like everything's being dragged down, almost like the tempo's too slow, but I think it's just because they spent WAY too much time getting it "just so." As a result I find no technical fault with it, and yet it's still missing something so very important. If I was a girly-man I would cry with a deep sense of loss, but being a manly-man I feel the urge to crush things instead... ;)

I'll keep giving this one some listens, maybe it will grow on me, at the very least it is a joy to listen to from a production standpoint.

The shock, the horror! :blink:

;)

...seems like just about everybody loves this...upon slapping it into the player and giving a listen, sadly I don't share that love. :( Flawless production, big hooks, but damned if there aren't WAY too many soft edges and rounded corners. Nothing's really grabbing me with this one....where's the heart? It feels like everything's being dragged down, almost like the tempo's too slow, but I think it's just because they spent WAY too much time getting it "just so." As a result I find no technical fault with it, and yet it's still missing something so very important.

YES! I am no longer the sole voice of dissent regarding this disc!!

...seems like just about everybody loves this...upon slapping it into the player and giving a listen, sadly I don't share that love. :( Flawless production, big hooks, but damned if there aren't WAY too many soft edges and rounded corners. Nothing's really grabbing me with this one....where's the heart? It feels like everything's being dragged down, almost like the tempo's too slow, but I think it's just because they spent WAY too much time getting it "just so." As a result I find no technical fault with it, and yet it's still missing something so very important.

YES! I am no longer the sole voice of dissent regarding this disc!!

You Freaks!! ;)

Try the S/T Idle Cure, Geoff :tumbsup:

Jones Street: "Dancin' With the Devil"

If you're jonesin' for some attitude-laced, sleaze-fueled hair-metal, then this band is for you, the kind of hard rockin' stuff that was blasting from every stereo back in the 80s. Fans of McQueen Street, Roxy Blue, Jesse Strange, Wildside, Southgang, and bands of that ilk should find plenty to gleefully dance about here. With swaggering guitars, some badass riffs, liberal use of backing vocals, and a production style that is neither too raw nor too polished, this album should appeal to a lots of folks 'round these parts. People are having a devil of a time getting their hands on this, but once they do, the listening experience is pretty heavenly.

Ide Cure - 'Eclipse'; Seriously not a bad CD. I actually really like the sound of this band. Yes, the songs aren't really that great here, but not all are so bad either. I did really like 'Living Water' and 'The Only Thing'. I'd actually like to get the rest of their discography now.

Try the S/T Idle Cure, Geoff :tumbsup:

No offense, but Idle Cure's self-titled debut is easily the worst of their discography, way more AOR-oriented and keyboard-heavy than later releases. Of course, if you like AOR-y melodic rock, then I suppose you would consider that a good thing, but Geoff's tastes run fairly parallel with my own when it comes to this sort of stuff, and I can say with a fair amount of certainty that he'd much prefer "Inside Out" or "2nd Avenue" to the debut.

Actually, Geoff, now that I think about it, please don't get any Idle Cure CDs...the Christian lyrics will probably just put you in a murderous, eyeball-popping rage and you'll post a bitch-rant about them. :fun_84: