First Spin Impressions

JustJason

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noiseworks - 'Touch' ; well, a few of the guys on the forum were saying a while back that this CD was essential so when I saw it for $8 on the weekend at a pawnbroker I took the punt, and as I drove back home from my brother's coastal palace, I regretted the purchase. Didn't like it at all. 'Touch' and one other ballad were pretty much the only good songs. The rest is just standard Aussie 80's pop/rock. Skipped heaps of it. Not a fan at all. I'll stick with 'Take me back' and 'No lies' thanks.

Noiseworks - 'Touch' ; well, a few of the guys on the forum were saying a while back that this CD was essential so when I saw it for $8 on the weekend at a pawnbroker I took the punt, and as I drove back home from my brother's coastal palace, I regretted the purchase. Didn't like it at all. 'Touch' and one other ballad were pretty much the only good songs. The rest is just standard Aussie 80's pop/rock. Skipped heaps of it. Not a fan at all. I'll stick with 'Take me back' and 'No lies' thanks.

Only 2 good songs? Utter Twaddle.

Only 2 good songs? Utter Twaddle.

Sorry mate, I sold their other two CDs and this one will go the same way. Two great songs off the debut, two good songs off their third album ('Hot chilli woman' and 'RIP') and two decent songs off this one... and I don't even think the second one off this was that good... and 'Touch' has been HUGELY overplayed over here in Australia, so that makes this the worst of the lot, imo.

Sadly, just not a band I really like at all. Can barely scrape together an EP's worth of good material from 3 CDs...

Chris Laney - Pure

At times sounding very similar to Shotgun Messiah's 'Second Coming', which I love. While there are a few fillers towards the back half of this disc there's plenty here to love if you like your rock n roll sleazy. Not the best cd I've heard this year but very good stuff that will get repeated listens. Fav songs so far "The Stranger in You", "I Dunno", "Make you Cry" and "Situation".

Witness - S/T (1988)

Disappointment. Too much "pop" feeling and not a single really catchy song for me... 5/10

That's a shocker of a comment mate...one of my all time fav female fronted albums.

Schon smokes on a couple of those latter tunes...........

NURAL - Entitlement

This is my first ever music download, and it's only because I just had to have this album. It's ultra-catchy Modern Rock that is just about one of the best this genre has ever produced IMO. Those that don't like this genre won't be convinced by this, but for me it just doesn't get much better than tracks 3-7 which are all stunning. It closes with two weaker tunes, and it's just so immediate that I expect to have played this to death within 3 weeks, but songs like "Up Against", "I've Been There Before" & "Physics" all have killer melodic choruses that verge on AOR. Tough call with this & KILLSWITCH ENGAGE for my album of the year I reckon...

Good to see youre enjoying it mate. & also nice to see that someone finally appreciates 'Physics'....stunning harmonies in that song.

DESTROPHY "The Way of Your World"

This is a unique Metal band who mix stuff like Slipknot/Five Finger Death Punch and even some Vanden Plas/Dream Theater, and it's pretty extraordinary stuff. Very heavy but with killer melodic chorus lines, and so much variety it will probably alienate all but the most open-minded. I love anything that goes off at tangents and has big cross-over potential, but also retains a big hook in each tune. Only problems here are too many songs, and a pretty horrible production (the mix is a shocker). Otherwise it's a killer CD...

Also, have you heard 'Still Bleeding' - that's another great song........

Witness - S/T (1988)

Disappointment. Too much "pop" feeling and not a single really catchy song for me... 5/10

That's a shocker of a comment mate...one of my all time fav female fronted albums.

Schon smokes on a couple of those latter tunes...........

After a few spins it still sounds average to me. Except maybe the first track. :anon:

Hardcore Superstar - Beg For It

I love HS big time, ever since I first ordered the s/t on a whim a few years back. I was a bit disappointed that Silver had decided to leave but I knew Vic, his replacement, was pretty solid on guitar so I was still feeling a lot of anticipation when I heard this was finally coming out. As with anything else, there's good and bad to be found. First of all the rhythm section has never sounded tighter to em. I mean these guys give new meaning to the term "locked in" on some of these songs. The production is also solid as a rock and I think the overall sound of the band benefits from Vic's warmer, more "LA" guitar sound. Most of the songs start off with killer grooves and get me doing a little headbanging right out of the gate. Unfortunately after some solid intros and kickass riffing, a lot of the songs lose their steam and never seem to resolve with a chorus worthy of their two previous stellar efforts. It's not like there are no good songs on here because there definitely are. I'm hoping this is just a case of a new member growing into the band, but the songs seem to lack the cohesion that made them one of my favorite bands. Overall, it's a great sounding album and I'm not disappointed to own it, in fact maybe I'll grow into it, this is the "First Spin" thread after all... ;)

Gynger Lynn-Gynger Lynn.

My Friend Carey bought this and brought it over the other night

so I could check it out...what a waste of time..bland, boring,tired, cliched..

and those are the good points...I have heard some people really hyping this

up as a long lost hidden gem...it's a lie..it's crap...

Wow that was harsh. :lol:

I mean I don't think it's the lost "gem" that some make it out to be but I think for an unreleased album it's pretty cool to hear stuff like this since there were worse bands out there that put out more than one album. The low point for me was the production but there was some songs IMO but their my least fav of the Eonian releases so far.

Are people really talking that highly about this one? I think you can only judge it as a set of unreleased demos with a spiffy presentation. For what it is - a collection of old demos - I do think the songs are quite good, but as Wes says, the sound is a real drawback.

I guess it's one of those releases that you'll like or won't...to me it was so

average and the sound was raw but in a bad way...I did'nt realize

they were demos though...

TNT.........My Religion........this is my second exposure to TNT and this release is much better than Transistor and will get many more spins in my CD player...now I'll have to check out some more of their stuff.... :tumbsup:

Yup great album and one of my favs from the great TNT but I do like Transistor too.

Really you can't wrong with any of the releases with Harnell on vocals but avoid the last two with Mills on vocals, they suck IMO.

My favs are the above mentioned "My Religion", "Tell No Tales", "Realized Fantasies", "Intution" and "Knights of the New Thunder". If you like things a little different give "Firefly" a try. Most hated it but I dig it.

I love HS big time, ever since I first ordered the s/t on a whim a few years back. I was a bit disappointed that Silver had decided to leave but I knew Vic, his replacement, was pretty solid on guitar so I was still feeling a lot of anticipation when I heard this was finally coming out. As with anything else, there's good and bad to be found. First of all the rhythm section has never sounded tighter to em. I mean these guys give new meaning to the term "locked in" on some of these songs. The production is also solid as a rock and I think the overall sound of the band benefits from Vic's warmer, more "LA" guitar sound. Most of the songs start off with killer grooves and get me doing a little headbanging right out of the gate. Unfortunately after some solid intros and kickass riffing, a lot of the songs lose their steam and never seem to resolve with a chorus worthy of their two previous stellar efforts. It's not like there are no good songs on here because there definitely are. I'm hoping this is just a case of a new member growing into the band, but the songs seem to lack the cohesion that made them one of my favorite bands. Overall, it's a great sounding album and I'm not disappointed to own it, in fact maybe I'll grow into it, this is the "First Spin" thread after all... ;)

Have to admit I'm kind of really digging this one. I think it does need a few spins for some of the hooks to settle in, because I agree with what you're saying. But overall, looks like these guys have released two good ones in a row.

Have to admit I'm kind of really digging this one. I think it does need a few spins for some of the hooks to settle in, because I agree with what you're saying. But overall, looks like these guys have released two good ones in a row.

I need to get this disc for sure. I love the last two releases.

It's certainly worth having, but it's no s/t IMHO... :D

The s/t was awesome but for some reason I prefer 'Dreamin in a Casket' but just barely.

The s/t was awesome but for some reason I prefer 'Dreamin in a Casket' but just barely.

I can dig that, I think Dreamin' is pretty damn close to the s/t myself. I don't think Beg For It touches either of 'em.

I can dig that, I think Dreamin' is pretty damn close to the s/t myself. I don't think Beg For It touches either of 'em.

I was one of very few who didn't get into s/t. To me it sounded too much like their earlier stuff, which was just average, imo. 'Dreamin in a casket' was an entirely new sound for them and that's where I got interested. They've maintained the new sound for this new disc and these two are my favourite CDs from them, personally. :)

Praying Mantis - Sanctuary

Praying Mantis have always been one of those bands that have always been on the edge, but never quite broke through, which is a real shame, because if you listen to their back catologue of stuff, there are many truly great albums waiting for you to discover - The classic debut 'Time Tells No Lies', 'To The Power Of Ten' ' Forever In Time, ''Nowhere To Hide and 'The Journey Goes On' -All Top quality melodic rock albums and all worthy of anyones collection. The new Praying Mantis disc 'Sanctuary' is certainly no different and really is very very good indeed. 'Turn The Tide', 'In Time' and the brilliant 'Touch The Rainbow' especially being 3 of many highlights and few lows. In comes another new lead Mike Freeland (ex of More and Brian Connolly's Sweet) to fill the shoes of previous vocalists like Gary Bardens, Tony O' Hora and a very good job he does aswell - great voice.

Highly quality Melodic rock, nicely played, produced and presented. Check it out.