First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Wrath - INSANE SOCIETY (1990)

I used to see this band's CDs in bargain bins all the time but always passed over them under the erroneous assumption that they were a glam/sleaze band (based on their spray-paint style logo), but nothing could be further from the truth. Them Wrath boys was THRASH! Granted, this is a second or maybe third-tier band at best but they do a decent job at whippin' up some noise. Very similar to what Testament was doing on their SOULS OF BLACK and/or PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH albums. Yo, Wes -- you heard this band? If not, you should.

Nope haven't heard them but according to your comparisons I probably should. :tumbsup:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dante Fox - under the seven skies

This was tipped to be one of my surprise favourites for the year after loving the samples i heard. After first listen it didnt live up to the expectation i have of it. Its still high quality melodic rock, with great female vocals that made me smile. The first track is fantastic, along with some other nice tracks throughout. Reminds me alot of Nexx. Hope this grows on me after a few listens.

Mad Max - White sands

I dont think this quite lives up to last years release which was awesome. Im not sure whats different.. maybe not as catchy or something. Voss' vocals are still great, but maybe on the previous album he was able to show them off a bit more. Definatly some tracks that need a few listens to hear how much they rock out - still expecting big things.

That Dante Fox album was a huge letdown for me. Fantastic sounding, but there just aren't any good hooks or choruses on it, IMO. Good, solid... but not great at all. Just average songs.

I actually think 'White Sands' is by far the best thing Mad Max have released since probably 'Night of passion'. Hope it grows on you mate, I think it's 10 times catchier than their past few albums. :)

ive only ever heard White Sands and Night of White Rock - how many of the others worth getting?

im a bit wary of their early stuff...

To be honest, I don't think I've heard 'Stormchild' but it's highly talked of. I would recommend 'Night of passion' - that's very good. Aside from those two, and 'White Sands', I haven't really been too big a fan of the others. I only really liked one song of 'Never say never' and 'Night of the white rock' each... even if the others were pretty cool. Just not great. 'Rollin' thunder' is pretty bad, imo, and completely avoidable.

I know you love Casanova, do you have Demon Drive's stuff? IMO Mad Max is Voss' weakest project he's been involved with.

Just purchased Mad Max White Sands and I gotta say it's Casanova type quality it's that good probably my favorite Mad Max disc. Mad Max sounds a bit different almost Stryper type sound IMO.

Helix-No Rest for the Wicked

Wow I'm loving this disc. While I had heard this one in passing I'd never owned and this is my first proper listen and I have to say I'm impressed by this band. Helix were always a band that I knew a few tunes but never really saw much of their cds around so I never bought any. After hearing this one I'm gonna have to order the newly re-issued 'Walking on a Razors Edge' and maybe even hunt down some other Helix discs from the 80's. My fav tune so far on this disc is "Dirty Dog".

Walking the Razor's Edge is a much better album Wes. Although I do love Does a Fool Ever Learn from NRFTW.

Chris Laney~ Pure. Wow. Killer stuff here. Kind of a mix of music on this one. Guitar driven tracks and some more AOR-ish songs too. This one has it all for everyone on this board. Check it out, it's recommended. :banger:

Wow I'm loving this disc. While I had heard this one in passing I'd never owned and this is my first proper listen and I have to say I'm impressed by this band. Helix were always a band that I knew a few tunes but never really saw much of their cds around so I never bought any. After hearing this one I'm gonna have to order the newly re-issued 'Walking on a Razors Edge' and maybe even hunt down some other Helix discs from the 80's. My fav tune so far on this disc is "Dirty Dog".

Walking the Razor's Edge is a much better album Wes. Although I do love Does a Fool Ever Learn from NRFTW.

Chris Laney~ Pure. Wow. Killer stuff here. Kind of a mix of music on this one. Guitar driven tracks and some more AOR-ish songs too. This one has it all for everyone on this board. Check it out, it's recommended. :banger:

WOW that's an oldie but a goodie, also give Wild In The Streets a spin, a great disc to party to.

A Day To Remember - 'Homesick' ; Got into this band last year and I was really looking forward to this new disc. This band is an odd one. Very close to having a "pop-punk" kind of vibe, but with Killswitch Engage-style music at time, and instead of straight screaming vocals, they opt for the heavier sounding growling (cookie monster) screams. Musically, this band is excellent and the choruses and hooks are superb. Every single song delivers a really melodic chorus, which is why I am here. Songs like 'NJ Legion Ice Tea' and the title track are my two faves - the choruses are just divine. But every chorus hits the spot and the cookie monster vocals which usually put me off really aren't threatening on this disc because of the strong music and 2nd vocalist who sounds like he could make a Change of Pace CD. At the end of the day, this is one of the better CDs I've heard this year.

A Day To Remember - 'Homesick' ; Got into this band last year and I was really looking forward to this new disc. This band is an odd one. Very close to having a "pop-punk" kind of vibe, but with Killswitch Engage-style music at time, and instead of straight screaming vocals, they opt for the heavier sounding growling (cookie monster) screams. Musically, this band is excellent and the choruses and hooks are superb. Every single song delivers a really melodic chorus, which is why I am here. Songs like 'NJ Legion Ice Tea' and the title track are my two faves - the choruses are just divine. But every chorus hits the spot and the cookie monster vocals which usually put me off really aren't threatening on this disc because of the strong music and 2nd vocalist who sounds like he could make a Change of Pace CD. At the end of the day, this is one of the better CDs I've heard this year.

Yeah good disc - definitely their catchiest yet. Killer guitar parts too. I LOVE opener "The Downfall of us All" - such a catchy tune. By the way, there isn't a second vocalist - the main guy does both parts. Same with most of these type of bands, it's usually one guy that does it all....

Yeah good disc - definitely their catchiest yet. Killer guitar parts too. I LOVE opener "The Downfall of us All" - such a catchy tune. By the way, there isn't a second vocalist - the main guy does both parts. Same with most of these type of bands, it's usually one guy that does it all....

Wow... cool. Two very different sides of his voice on display. :lol:

Backed....Walking the Razors Edge is Their best IMO!!!

Age Sten Nilsen - Glamunition

Well what do we have here. Nilsen is better known as the lead vocalist in the excellent Wig Wam, but anyone getting this expecting a continuation of the Wig Wam sound is going to be disappointed. This is pure, unadultarated Euro Pop/Rock, that has a handful of tracks that could be huge singles, some of them are very good indeeed and damned good fun they are aswell. Dan Reed, Kee Marcelo and Ronnie LeTekro make appearences along the way and the whole thing sounds great, although distinctly commercial (even verging on the Euro pop at certain times). It definitely has it's tongue firmly in it's cheek though (a little like Wig Wam in that way) and at the end of the day will be a disc you'll love or absolutley hate. Approach with caution!!

Well what do we have here. Nilsen is better known as the lead vocalist in the excellent Wig Wam, but anyone getting this expecting a continuation of the Wig Wam sound is going to be disappointed. This is pure, unadultarated Euro Pop/Rock, that has a handful of tracks that could be huge singles, some of them are very good indeeed and damned good fun they are aswell. Dan Reed, Kee Marcelo and Ronnie LeTekro make appearences along the way and the whole thing sounds great, although distinctly commercial (even verging on the Euro pop at certain times). It definitely has it's tongue firmly in it's cheek though (a little like Wig Wam in that way) and at the end of the day will be a disc you'll love or absolutley hate. Approach with caution!!

I'm intrigued by this, I was actually listening to WW today and admiring their tongue in cheek lyrical content.

I'm intrigued by this, I was actually listening to WW today and admiring their tongue in cheek lyrical content.

I too am very interested in this one. I think I need to hear it.

You were one of the people was thinking when I mentioned about some people hating it and approaching with caution. I may be completely wrong, But I can see you giving this a bit of a slating my old friend!! ;)

You were one of the people was thinking when I mentioned about some people hating it and approaching with caution. I may be completely wrong, But I can see you giving this a bit of a slating my old friend!! ;)

HAHA! Possibly and probably... but I'll be interested to hear it either way. :lol:

Yeah I got 3 tracks from this on a sampler CD, was decent stuff - though a bit too Glam for my tastes. I liked the first WigWam disc a lot as it was more Scandi AOR but didn't like the last one, nor stuff like The Poodles, so I'm probably not the best judge of this stuff!

Falling Up - 'Captiva' ; I have their 'Parallels' disc (twice - f*cked up an order once) and have to admit it's a pretty decent slab of modern rock. It's been a while since I played that one, but f*ck me with flowers if their sound has not changed a lot. What we have here is pretty mellow, almost "ambient" in places. I actually like it and there were some really strong songs on this. They still "rock it up" for the choruses and at certain places... but it is softer overall. I'll play them both back to back, but I think I might prefer this to their more standard modern rock sounds of the past - couldn't detect a christian lyrical vibe in the slightest either, which was nice. If I recall they were pretty blatant on the other disc. For a "blind purchase" I'm happy.

Self Against City - 'Telling secrets to strangers' ; Pretty cool modern rock disc. Definitely worth the (small) price I paid for it. Vocals are strained and the hooks could have been a little bigger, but really a fine disc.

Tall Stories - skyscraper

Awful. Augeri still has a great voice.. but what is this alternative stuff??

Herman Frank - loyal to none

Reminds me of the dissappointing final Moon'Doc album. Boring album, with a few nicer songs but really lacking hooks.

Tall Stories - skyscraper

Awful. Augeri still has a great voice.. but what is this alternative stuff??

err no he hasnt. If he sounds good on the album then it must be mixed well. He sounded truly awful at Firefest last year.

I was shocked.

FarCry - High Gear

After waiting for almost 6 months for this it's finally playing in my stereo. So what does this thing sound like?

Well if you remember back to the days of being young and cruising around in the summer with your windows down and jamming to all of the great melodic rock bands of the day then that's what you get hear. I'm talking Def Leppard, early Winger, White Lion, Tyketto(I could totally hear Danny Vaughn singing these songs), Hardline, Danger Danger, Bon Jovi(back when they were good) and many others but it's all tied up with a solid modern production. Sure the spirit of the 80's/early 90's is found here but it doesn't sound dated at all and I could totally hear many of these songs on the radio today. Pete and the rest of the band along with Kivel and everyone else(Ty Simms) who worked on this should be giving each other highfives because they've hit a homerun with this release. Oh and it might be me but the guitar playing on this is just f#@king exceptional IMO and I'm not saying that because I know Pete, it's honestly that damn good. :bowdown:

Åge Sten Nilsen - Glamunition

Crap.

My first spin impression was that it's wasn't bad, but after a few more spins it's well & truly outstayed it's welcome. Crap is a pretty good summary IMO.