First Spin Impressions

JustJason

7th Heaven - 'Faces time replaces' ; being a huge fan of this band I've been after this for ages. Luckily I had heard over the years that it was not as good as their later stuff, so I didn't expect much... but wow. This is SO bad I had to clean vomit off the floor afterwards. Absolutely terrible. The song 'War Machine' is on it, and that's one of my least favourite songs on the 'Silver' discs but it's probably the 2nd best song here. Seriously, this CD is pathetic. Awful lyrics, awful music and awful songs. Just atrocious.

I held on to that for years... but finally got rid of it! Yeh its bad. Even the band hates it..... Now you gotta hear the Christmas album HAHAH

Yeah, I always wondered why it was so hard to get and the band were so quiet and unassisting about it. I certainly found out why last night. I bet they'd like to delete that part of their lives.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7th Heaven - 'Faces time replaces' ; being a huge fan of this band I've been after this for ages. Luckily I had heard over the years that it was not as good as their later stuff, so I didn't expect much... but wow. This is SO bad I had to clean vomit off the floor afterwards. Absolutely terrible. The song 'War Machine' is on it, and that's one of my least favourite songs on the 'Silver' discs but it's probably the 2nd best song here. Seriously, this CD is pathetic. Awful lyrics, awful music and awful songs. Just atrocious.

I held on to that for years... but finally got rid of it! Yeh its bad. Even the band hates it..... Now you gotta hear the Christmas album HAHAH

Yeah, I always wondered why it was so hard to get and the band were so quiet and unassisting about it. I certainly found out why last night. I bet they'd like to delete that part of their lives.

What year was it? Late 90s? I think that album sums up bad nu-metal from that period. And damn does it sound dated already.

What year was it? Late 90s? I think that album sums up bad nu-metal from that period. And damn does it sound dated already.

Yeah, 2000. I've heard some bad nu-metal, but honestly, never anything anywhere near that bad. No balls at all on that CD - such a timid disc with such pathetic lyrics. Man I hated that thing.

Chris Laney - Pure

This sounds pretty good, I like my rock hard driving, it kinda reminds me of "Second Coming" era Shotgun Messiah... here's the thing... I don't like Chris Laney's voice, totally doesn't work for me. I'm going to try and get used to it, maybe subsequent spins will help, but for now this will not be getting a lot of spins from me. Maybe I just set my expectations too high, ah the price of optimism... :(

I'm glad you said that, was thinking the same thing (from the soundbytes). Not a patch on the Johnny Lima IMO....

No question, not even on the same playing field IMO.

I think its a bit closer than that, but JL definitely gets the nod from me.

'Make You Cry', 'The Stranger In You' and 'Fire & Ice' are a killer trio of songs on the Chris Laney, but overall the JL just has a more listenable sound (better production), better vocals, better solos and the real killer songs are just plain better that CL.

Oh and better hooks too.

Where Laney takes home this battle though, for me, is that the best songs on that crucify the best on the Lima disc and Laney writes much better hooks.

Well for me the 2 best songs on either album are 'Hate To Love You' and 'Caught In The Middle'...both of which are of course JL tracks

Also after spinning both a few times, I was humming some of Lima songs but not the Laney ones....which to me spells better hooks.

Cheers

Backed.

Yeah, cool guys. To each their own. I do have to say, after spinning Laney again it's not a competition for me. The most significant thing for me is your trio, Glen. I agree those 3 songs are excellent. But to be honest, imo, they're not even a patch on 'I Hate Yer Guts', 'Get U Down' and 'Pissed At What Ya Missed', imo. How you can exclude 'Get U Down' (the kind of song Lima himself could only ever dream of writing) is amazing to me, mate. Are our tastes that different? :lol:

But yeah, basically, that trio and your trio, imo, are all better than 'Caught in the middle', which imo is easily the best song on the Lima disc. :) Seriously guys, if you have the Laney disc near put it on and just play 'Get U Down'. Lima never has been and never will be at that level. :)

Chris Laney - Pure

This sounds pretty good, I like my rock hard driving, it kinda reminds me of "Second Coming" era Shotgun Messiah... here's the thing... I don't like Chris Laney's voice, totally doesn't work for me. I'm going to try and get used to it, maybe subsequent spins will help, but for now this will not be getting a lot of spins from me. Maybe I just set my expectations too high, ah the price of optimism... :(

I'm glad you said that, was thinking the same thing (from the soundbytes). Not a patch on the Johnny Lima IMO....

No question, not even on the same playing field IMO.

I think its a bit closer than that, but JL definitely gets the nod from me.

'Make You Cry', 'The Stranger In You' and 'Fire & Ice' are a killer trio of songs on the Chris Laney, but overall the JL just has a more listenable sound (better production), better vocals, better solos and the real killer songs are just plain better that CL.

Oh and better hooks too.

Where Laney takes home this battle though, for me, is that the best songs on that crucify the best on the Lima disc and Laney writes much better hooks.

Well for me the 2 best songs on either album are 'Hate To Love You' and 'Caught In The Middle'...both of which are of course JL tracks

Also after spinning both a few times, I was humming some of Lima songs but not the Laney ones....which to me spells better hooks.

Cheers

Backed.

Yeah, cool guys. To each their own. I do have to say, after spinning Laney again it's not a competition for me. The most significant thing for me is your trio, Glen. I agree those 3 songs are excellent. But to be honest, imo, they're not even a patch on 'I Hate Yer Guts', 'Get U Down' and 'Pissed At What Ya Missed', imo. How you can exclude 'Get U Down' (the kind of song Lima himself could only ever dream of writing) is amazing to me, mate. Are our tastes that different? :lol:

But yeah, basically, that trio and your trio, imo, are all better than 'Caught in the middle', which imo is easily the best song on the Lima disc. :) Seriously guys, if you have the Laney disc near put it on and just play 'Get U Down'. Lima never has been and never will be at that level. :)

Well here's the thing, Ive just read this short thread again and as soon as I saw the words 'Hate To Love You' that song was spinning in my head. Whereas I cant even remember how 'Get U Down' goes..............??

I like the Chris Laney (a lot)...but its not as good as the JL. IMO.

Saga - The Human Condition

After the real treat of Michael Sadlers final Saga show on the recent 'Contact' live CD/DVD package, the new studio album arrives with new singer Rob Moratti. I had already heard 4 tracks off this new one, so new half of what to expect, but hearing and having the final product in my hands (nice digipack and all) I can now enjoy the whole thing properly. A new Saga album is always a major highlight of my year and as I have said before, apart from the patchy 'Pleasure and The Pain' album, they have NEVER let me down in the 30 years I have been listening to them (yes that long). Obviously Moratti is the main focal point on this one and everyone is gonna want to know what the end result is. Well, after a couple of spins I can gladly report that this new one hits all the right spots for existing Saga fans and hopefully will bring some new ones along for the ride aswell. Take out Moratti and you have the typical, if slightly more progressive, Saga sound, although there is nothing on here radically different than they have done before. Moratti's vocals are definitely toned down from some of his usual high pitched 'Helium' stuff and he actually fits in with the band and new musical direction very well. Songwise after a couple of spins, 'Step Inside' and 'Avalon' are my top picks, but there are no fillers on here to my ears. My first impression is that this is yet another first class Saga album and one I look forward to giving many more spins in the coming weeks.

I've only had the chance to listen to it once so far....and I'm having problems with the vocals as I can imagine Mr. Sadler singing some of these to the point I'm hearing how he would phrase it in my head. BUT this is more a problem with getting used to change - the tunes are pretty much ripper and after a few more plays I'll probably come to a similar conclusion to me olde mate above!

I just need more tiime...please please please can I have more time I beg ye!

Okay given it plenty of listens now and yes I like it lots n lots...but a few little niggles.

I'm not sure starting with what is essentially an instrumental was such a great idea ... I found myself skipping this track on more than one ocassion.

Hands of Time again it's okay but it sounds in part so much like Silent Lucidity by Queensryche it's distracting.Then on Let it Go the part of the verse's melody is a clone of part of the melody on Toto's song Isolation.

But these are pretty minor niggles as the album is pretty awesome and Rob Moratti does a fantastic job, and I'm pleased that the band has had the balls to keep striving for a different sound and move forward rather than get a similar sounding singer in and turn into some kind of tribute band like some others.

Avalon and Number With a Name are probably my fave songs. I'd say as an album 8.5 maybe 9/10 and I'm really looking forward to the next album already.

Oh yeah and when I load it in media player it comes up as Saga - s/t .. my god!!! :lol:

Burn Halo - s/t

Liked it a lot, great production (mixed by Chris Lord-Alge), and straight up rock tunes and some class sounding ballads with a nod to both modern and 80's influences. Nothing in particular really stuck out at me but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole disc. I'll have to give it a more careful listen, but so far so good! :tumbsup:

I guarantee that next time you hear 'Get U Down' you'll never forget it again. ;)

I know how it goes...Im just winding you up. Good song.

After the real treat of Michael Sadlers final Saga show on the recent 'Contact' live CD/DVD package, the new studio album arrives with new singer Rob Moratti. I had already heard 4 tracks off this new one, so new half of what to expect, but hearing and having the final product in my hands (nice digipack and all) I can now enjoy the whole thing properly. A new Saga album is always a major highlight of my year and as I have said before, apart from the patchy 'Pleasure and The Pain' album, they have NEVER let me down in the 30 years I have been listening to them (yes that long). Obviously Moratti is the main focal point on this one and everyone is gonna want to know what the end result is. Well, after a couple of spins I can gladly report that this new one hits all the right spots for existing Saga fans and hopefully will bring some new ones along for the ride aswell. Take out Moratti and you have the typical, if slightly more progressive, Saga sound, although there is nothing on here radically different than they have done before. Moratti's vocals are definitely toned down from some of his usual high pitched 'Helium' stuff and he actually fits in with the band and new musical direction very well. Songwise after a couple of spins, 'Step Inside' and 'Avalon' are my top picks, but there are no fillers on here to my ears. My first impression is that this is yet another first class Saga album and one I look forward to giving many more spins in the coming weeks.

Rob from Final Frontier, man, where the heck have I been, never knew he was the new singer, ordered now, is his vocals as high as the last FF cd?

I've only had the chance to listen to it once so far....and I'm having problems with the vocals as I can imagine Mr. Sadler singing some of these to the point I'm hearing how he would phrase it in my head. BUT this is more a problem with getting used to change - the tunes are pretty much ripper and after a few more plays I'll probably come to a similar conclusion to me olde mate above!

Okay given it plenty of listens now and yes I like it lots n lots...but a few little niggles.

I'm not sure starting with what is essentially an instrumental was such a great idea ... I found myself skipping this track on more than one ocassion.

Hands of Time again it's okay but it sounds in part so much like Silent Lucidity by Queensryche it's distracting.Then on Let it Go the part of the verse's melody is a clone of part of the melody on Toto's song Isolation.

But these are pretty minor niggles as the album is pretty awesome and Rob Moratti does a fantastic job, and I'm pleased that the band has had the balls to keep striving for a different sound and move forward rather than get a similar sounding singer in and turn into some kind of tribute band like some others.

Avalon and Number With a Name are probably my fave songs. I'd say as an album 8.5 maybe 9/10 and I'm really looking forward to the next album already.

Oh yeah and when I load it in media player it comes up as Saga - s/t .. my god!!! :lol:

Rob from Final Frontier, man, where the heck have I been, never knew he was the new singer, ordered now, is his vocals as high as the last FF cd?

wow, where have I been, Rob from FF!!!! cool, ordered today!!!! vocals as high as the last FF cd?

wow, where have I been, Rob from FF!!!! cool, ordered today!!!! vocals as high as the last FF cd?

Not quite. He has toned them down a little and they fit in pretty well with the new songs. As Nick said, it takes a little getting used to Moratti in Saga and you can certainly imagine Micheal Sadler singing these songs. Great album though mate and highly recommended from me.

PRIMAL FEAR - 16.6 (Before the Devil Knows Youre Dead)

Nice stuff, heavy & powerful with very cool riffing but also nicely melodic, but a pretty formulaic disc. The experimentation of the last two albums is kept to a minimum, and things are very tried&trusted. The introduction of Magnus Karlsson hasn't had much impact (presume he doesn't have much influence) and it isn't any more melodic than the previous disc. This is solid, and worth picking up if you like the band, but I'm disappointed they haven't continued to push the boundaries in the way they started to on the incredible "Seven Seals".

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE - S/T

I've been lucky to get this a month before release, and as they're an all-time fave band I'll try to be unbiased :lol: . This is one of the best Metal albums in the last 10 years or so. They continue to make music heavier yet more melodic than anyone else, with their brutal riffing and soaring chorus-lines. In fact, every single chorus on this disc is stunning. "A Light in the Darkened World" is an obvious highlight, so is closer "This Is Goodbye" (the vocals just soar). Only question mark is the production - which Adam D didn't do this time around - as it's less crisp than "As Daylight Dies", but this is a more melodic album than their last 2. Absolute monster.

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE - S/T

I've been lucky to get this a month before release, and as they're an all-time fave band I'll try to be unbiased :lol: . This is one of the best Metal albums in the last 10 years or so. They continue to make music heavier yet more melodic than anyone else, with their brutal riffing and soaring chorus-lines. In fact, every single chorus on this disc is stunning. "A Light in the Darkened World" is an obvious highlight, so is closer "This Is Goodbye" (the vocals just soar). Only question mark is the production - which Adam D didn't do this time around - as it's less crisp than "As Daylight Dies", but this is a more melodic album than their last 2. Absolute monster.

So tell it to me straight - how much screaming here? As much as the last album, or are there more clean vocals here? Like in the verses too?

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE - S/T

So tell it to me straight - how much screaming here? As much as the last album, or are there more clean vocals here? Like in the verses too?

No mate - it's mostly screaming in the verses. All the pure Metalcore/Screamo bands will be the same: screaming & heavy versus, clean & melodic choruses. Same applies here, except the choruses are even more melodic/catchy. To be honest if you didn't like the last disc then I'd skip it - though it does surprise me that you like A DAY TO REMEMBER and not KILLSWITCH (who are the kings of this genre)...

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE - S/T

No mate - it's mostly screaming in the verses. All the pure Metalcore/Screamo bands will be the same: screaming & heavy versus, clean & melodic choruses. Same applies here, except the choruses are even more melodic/catchy. To be honest if you didn't like the last disc then I'd skip it - though it does surprise me that you like A DAY TO REMEMBER and not KILLSWITCH (who are the kings of this genre)...

Nah, I didn't mind the last disc at all. Not wild about it, but definitely keen enough to check out the new one.

Does it make sense to you if I say there are screams I do like and screams I don't? Or does that just sound like nonsense? For example, I really like the aggressive, passionate style of the dude in Silverstein, but HATE the growling of guys like the dudes in Sonic Syndicate and Scar Symmetry. I don't mind the crazy passionate screams, but not screaming for the sake of some heavier sounding growls or something. To me, there is a nice mix on the A Day To Remember material. Screams aren't that offensive and there is quite a bit of clean stuff too.

Not saying Killswitch Engage's screams are horrid, but they are a band where I am not wild about their screams. Don't hate them, but not so into them. Definitely going to check this out, though. :)

Gynger Lynn-Gynger Lynn.

My Friend Carey bought this and brought it over the other night

so I could check it out...what a waste of time..bland, boring,tired, cliched..

and those are the good points...I have heard some people really hyping this

up as a long lost hidden gem...it's a lie..it's crap...

Gynger Lynn-Gynger Lynn.

Wow that was harsh. :lol:

I mean I don't think it's the lost "gem" that some make it out to be but I think for an unreleased album it's pretty cool to hear stuff like this since there were worse bands out there that put out more than one album. The low point for me was the production but there was some songs IMO but their my least fav of the Eonian releases so far.

Gynger Lynn-Gynger Lynn.

Wow that was harsh. :lol:

I mean I don't think it's the lost "gem" that some make it out to be but I think for an unreleased album it's pretty cool to hear stuff like this since there were worse bands out there that put out more than one album. The low point for me was the production but there was some songs IMO but their my least fav of the Eonian releases so far.

Are people really talking that highly about this one? I think you can only judge it as a set of unreleased demos with a spiffy presentation. For what it is - a collection of old demos - I do think the songs are quite good, but as Wes says, the sound is a real drawback.