First Spin Impressions

JustJason

AMARANTHE - S/T

Thanks to Glen for the heads-up on this one. This is nice stuff, some decent growly vocals and a sweet-sounding chick to sing the sugar-coated choruses. This is hardly Scar Symmetry but the songs are catchier than on Sonic Syndicate's last album. There's a good ballad on here, though the rest is very samey. Frankly 4 or 5 songs of this stuff and you're done. Plus the production is pretty flat. Otherwise worth checking out if you like a tackier version of old Nightwish with a few cookie-monster vocals.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHINEDOWN - Amaryllis

This is a bit special. After the powerful intro song ("Adrenaline") it settles down into repeated melodic modern rockers, with more hooks than last time around. In fact it's strangely subdued in parts compared to the last disc, a few acoustic numbers (the title track, "I'm Not Alright", and "Through the Ghost") and at least 3 power ballads ("I'll Follow You", "Unity" and "Miracle") make this a much less intense/heavy disc. Even the heavier numbers are melodic, "For My Sake" is a lush anthem, and "Bully" and "My Name" are ultra-catchy modern rock tunes. The production is thick and crystal-clear, this thing sounds a million-bucks, and it's frankly a stunning disc. It slaughters the last Nickelback and is probably going to be my fave disc of 2012 so far...

This should be arriving through my letter box in the next few days. Loved the last album, so really looking forward to this one.

I think you'll love it mate. "Unity" is a monster track, better than "Second Chance" and the other good melodic tunes on the last disc, and there's barely a filler. I was slightly disappointed by the JSS and H.E.A.T discs (both are great, but perhaps I was expecting too much) and this is better IMHO.

The thing with JSS is it grows - I love nearly every track now!

Guns N Roses - CHINESE DEMOCRACY

...four years after its release, I finally got a copy of this CD thanks to a sharp eyed co-worker who found a bunch of'em at his local Dollar Tree dollar store. Naturally, I found that hilarious so I told him to grab me one.

So now that the hype is long dead, how's this album stack up? I am not sure yet.

One thing's for sure, i doesn't sound like a "band" effort at all, which is no surprise. The credits page in the booklet is hilarious, each track has at least a dozen names under it. Were any of these musicians in the same room at the same time at any point during the recording process? Somehow I doubt it.

Listening to it, I get the feeling that Axl just took all the bits and pieces he'd recorded with various musicians over the preceding dozen years, threw it all in a blender and sang over whatever came out. (Which probably isn't that far from the truth...)

The title track's great, and I really liked "Street of Dreams," "There Was A Time," and "Riad 'n' The Bedouins" but the rest just kinda runs together into a river of overproduced, grandiose mush. Maybe Axl was trying to approximate the vibe of the "epic" records of his youth like Queen's A NIGHT AT THE OPERA or Elton John's GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD, but in the end what came out is closer to Kiss' MUSIC FROM THE ELDER.

For a buck, I'm not gonna complain too much. But I'm sure as hell glad I didn't pay full price for this thing four years ago. Once the "newness" wears off I doubt this album will get much play in the future.

• My Little Pony

...four years after its release, I finally got a copy of this CD thanks to a sharp eyed co-worker who found a bunch of'em at his local Dollar Tree dollar store. Naturally, I found that hilarious so I told him to grab me one.

So now that the hype is long dead, how's this album stack up? I am not sure yet.

One thing's for sure, i doesn't sound like a "band" effort at all, which is no surprise. The credits page in the booklet is hilarious, each track has at least a dozen names under it. Were any of these musicians in the same room at the same time at any point during the recording process? Somehow I doubt it.

Listening to it, I get the feeling that Axl just took all the bits and pieces he'd recorded with various musicians over the preceding dozen years, threw it all in a blender and sang over whatever came out. (Which probably isn't that far from the truth...)

The title track's great, and I really liked "Street of Dreams," "There Was A Time," and "Riad 'n' The Bedouins" but the rest just kinda runs together into a river of overproduced, grandiose mush. Maybe Axl was trying to approximate the vibe of the "epic" records of his youth like Queen's A NIGHT AT THE OPERA or Elton John's GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD, but in the end what came out is closer to Kiss' MUSIC FROM THE ELDER.

For a buck, I'm not gonna complain too much. But I'm sure as hell glad I didn't pay full price for this thing four years ago. Once the "newness" wears off I doubt this album will get much play in the future.

Like I've said many times, it took him over fifteen years to finally release this, and I'll wait at least fifteen years before I even consider this.

Like I've said many times, it took him over fifteen years to finally release this, and I'll wait at least fifteen years before I even consider this.

Absolutely backed !! :drink:

I expanded my above thoughts about CHI-DEM into a blog entry if anyone's so inclined:

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Retro-Rock-Review-Guns-N-Roses-CHINESE-DEMOCRACY-2008

• 2 weeks later...

AXEL RUDI PELL - Circle of The Oath (2012)

a formulaic album, nothing new as usual from him, and raised a question of 'is it really necessary to keep pumping album once a year ?'. I think it might be better for him to release a new album once in three years, and stop making Ballads compilation, but probably he still sold em well in Germany. Anyway, on to this album, there are few great tracks that I like here, 'Run With The Wind' has great riffs and catchy chorus; 'Fortunes of War' is a nice track; and 'Hold On To Your Dreams' is another winner, but several other lengthy tracks are horrible such as 'Circle of The Oath', a big yuck, 'Bridges To Nowhere' is a yawn; and 'World of Confusion' is clearly passable.

70% is the best I can give!

BABY JANE - In The Spotlight (2012)

like someone has mentioned before, this one has prospect and to my ears, it's indeed. A very good sleaze glam Scandimetal type of album, the production is great, but there's something glitchy about the vocal, perhaps the obvious accent, but it's still acceptable. 'Raise Your Fist' is massive; ' Face Against The Wall' has great chorus; 'In The Spotlight' with a nice screamy intro and perhaps the best track here; and 'Night Explodes' could be the second best. There are at least 3 patchy moments which is 'The Secret Lies', 'Upside Down', and 'This Is War' that I'll give around 7 or 7.5. All in all, a very satisfying result, 80% at first, might go up to 85%.

HALESTORM - The Strange Case of .. (2012)

Hmm, I'm not very sure about this whole album. I guess I'm slightly disappointed since this one lack of strong tracks as I expected. 'Love Bites' is energetic and definitely a great track, but the next three tracks aren't as good as that and can't find the other rockers as good as that one.

'Beautiful With You' is a nice commercial ballad, followed by another couple of good ballads. I don't think it's a good move to put a three sequencial slow songs like that because it kinda throws off the momentum. The rest are pretty good especially 'You Call Me A Bitch' which is quite nasty with its modern riffs but not really great. 'Here's To You' closed the album smoothly, another great simple ballad thing. The production is great and the vocal is awesome, but overall, sounds like the strength is on the ballads and not the rockers. 70%

JACK BLADES - Rock and Roll Ride (2012)

A very diverse record by Jack. I agree with the opinion of this is the mix of SHAW/BLADES, NIGHT RANGER, and DAMN YANKEES, but honestly I don't think all songs are really great. I love tunes like 'Born For This', 'Hardest Word To Say', 'Love Life', 'Don't Give Up', and 'Hey Now', but still not very confident about 'Back In The Game', 'Anything For You', 'West Hollywood', and 'Rise and Shine'.

But this one could make a good addition to your library, first spin fell around 75%-80%.

KISSIN' DYNAMITE - Money, Sex, and Power (2012)

This latest album felt like they bring their edge toward glam metal and still heavy as usual. At first glance, I think the sophomore album is better, but this album is quite on par with the debut, only I like this one better. The title track is great; 'Sex Is War' is nice; 'Club 27' reminds me of THE POODLES; 'She's A Killer' is totally glam sounding; and 'Six Feet Under' is an awesome acoustical track. 75-80%

Hmm, I'm not very sure about this whole album. I guess I'm slightly disappointed since this one lack of strong tracks as I expected. 'Love Bites' is energetic and definitely a great track, but the next three tracks aren't as good as that and can't find the other rockers as good as that one.

'Beautiful With You' is a nice commercial ballad, followed by another couple of good ballads. I don't think it's a good move to put a three sequencial slow songs like that because it kinda throws off the momentum. The rest are pretty good especially 'You Call Me A Bitch' which is quite nasty with its modern riffs but not really great. 'Here's To You' closed the album smoothly, another great simple ballad thing. The production is great and the vocal is awesome, but overall, sounds like the strength is on the ballads and not the rockers. 70%

Wow mate, I 100% disagree. I love this album. Im gonna do a track by track soon so wont expand too much here, but isnt 'I Miss the Misery' even better than 'Love Bites' (which is freakin awesome!). Also I really like the 3 ballad 'interlude' in the middle part of the album. Something a bit different. Also I judge from your comments that you havent bought the deluxe version? Big mistake my friend as the 3 bonus tracks are all great!!

Add to that an absolutely STONKING production (that cannot be said of Hydrogyn) and I am well pleased with this album.

Adrian Dodz - Adrian Dodz ; pretty decent hard rock disc. I wish to spin it again to get the full picture, but I did enjoy this one enough.

Airtime "Liberty Manifesto" ; f*cking terrible. I think I downloaded this at the time and I bought it really cheap from the Escape shop on ebay. My jesus do I wish I did not. This is a really terrible CD. Shame on these guys.

Clay Aiken: "Measure of a Man" ; I think I heard this once in my life too - my memory doesn't remember it being this bad. It's just a shitty, limp country pop CD. One or two good songs which were all done a billion times better by Shadows Fade anyway. Another shithouse disc.

Dear Diary - s/t ; really cool stuff. I do have demos from these guys in the archives somewhere but in hearing this I only remembered 'Mama said,' which is a killer track and still my fave here. But it is by no means the only one. This is a really cool collection of hard rock tunes with a good commercial edge. Solid sound quality too. Nothing to do with the music, but I did really miss the typical Eonian write-up on the band, which is absent here. :( Disappointing as I'd have loved to read their story.

Departure- s/t ; really a pretty bad CD. Weak as piss both in sound quality, but also in song quality. Just sounded really limp to me. Not good.

Departure - Open your Mind ; much better than the debut. A really good sound - love the guitars. But even more than that, the songs are 100% better. Really nice melodic rock / AOR CD.

Departure "Corporate Wheel" ; this one starts out as good as the last with the first 3 songs, but kind of dips after that and never really recovers. Production is weaker, but the band still sounds good - the rest of the songs are just a lot weaker than 'Open your mind,' imo. Still glad I finally got these CDs... finally.

Evanescence: "The Open Door" ; not good at all. Missed a single hook on this disc. So bland. Crazy bland, in fact. There was seriously not a moment on here that made my ear erect. I thought bands needed hooks to be popular? A couple of cool musical passages here and there - I'll give them that.

Dear Diary - s/t ; really cool stuff. I do have demos from these guys in the archives somewhere but in hearing this I only remembered 'Mama said,' which is a killer track and still my fave here. But it is by no means the only one. This is a really cool collection of hard rock tunes with a good commercial edge. Solid sound quality too. Nothing to do with the music, but I did really miss the typical Eonian write-up on the band, which is absent here. :( Disappointing as I'd have loved to read their story.

Actually, if you go here you can read their story. After I wrote that piece, the band decided they didn't want their bio in the CD booklet for some reason, but we made it available on the website.

Actually, if you go here you can read their story. After I wrote that piece, the band decided they didn't want their bio in the CD booklet for some reason, but we made it available on the website.

Awesome. Thanks mate. I just bought Murder Bay and Rattleshake too, so your sexy words better grace those pages.

The band actually did their own artwork on that one.

The band actually did their own artwork on that one.

I did notice too that you weren't involved in that either. In fact, I looked a couple of times on the back of this CD to make sure it was actually an official Eonian release. :lol:

To be totally honest, and nothing against the band's effort, but it's definitely noticeably the weakest artwork of an Eonian release so far. It goes alright - the band pics are cool. But the whole look is nowhere near as eye catching and impressive as usual.

I did notice too that you weren't involved in that either. In fact, I looked a couple of times on the back of this CD to make sure it was actually an official Eonian release. :lol:

To be totally honest, and nothing against the band's effort, but it's definitely noticeably the weakest artwork of an Eonian release so far. It goes alright - the band pics are cool. But the whole look is nowhere near as eye catching and impressive as usual.

:D Would have liked to have done the artwork for consistency but hands were tied on that one. The band wanted to do it... but still a nice release.

Awesome. Thanks, mate. I just bought Murder Bay and Rattleshake too, so your sexy words better grace those pages.

Well, they "grace" (and I use that term loosely) the Rattleshake CD, but not Murder Bay. My choice. I simply didn't have the time at that point.

RYAN STAR - 11:59

Pretty decent modern pop/rock this. It's laid-back stuff but he's a good vocalist and really brings the songs to life. It's like a less mainstream David Cook, but with more variety in the songwriting. The disc is slightly hit & miss, but songs like "Last Train Home" and "Breathe" are pretty killer. If you like the gentler side of modern rock this is well worth checking out IMO...

Wow mate, I 100% disagree. I love this album. Im gonna do a track by track soon so wont expand too much here, but isnt 'I Miss the Misery' even better than 'Love Bites' (which is freakin awesome!). Also I really like the 3 ballad 'interlude' in the middle part of the album. Something a bit different. Also I judge from your comments that you havent bought the deluxe version? Big mistake my friend as the 3 bonus tracks are all great!!

Add to that an absolutely STONKING production (that cannot be said of Hydrogyn) and I am well pleased with this album.

well it's only based on one spin, let me read your thorough opinion later and see how i get on my second spin, but i'm curious how do you rate the s/t ?

because to me it's an 80% and I don't see how this one will go past that score, but who knows

Awesome. Thanks, mate. I just bought Murder Bay and Rattleshake too, so your sexy words better grace those pages.

Well, they "grace" (and I use that term loosely) the Rattleshake CD, but not Murder Bay. My choice. I simply didn't have the time at that point.

I just bought those new ones too and was hoping to read your write ups. You always do such a great job! :beerbang:

I just bought those new ones too and was hoping to read your write ups. You always do such a great job! :beerbang:

Thank you, kind sir. Hope you enjoy the Rattleshake bio.

Some unusual (for me, anyway) pickups from my local library's annual Book Sale yesterday...

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - THE BEST OF (1994)

Progressive rock isn't usually my cup o'java, but I picked this one up for two reasons: A.) because it contains Greg Lake's classic, cynical holiday single "I Believe in Father Christmas" which I always enjoy hearing during the Christmas season; and B.) it was cheap. I have only the vaguest knowledge of ELP's stuff (I had a college friend who insisted on listening to their BRAIN SALAD SURGERY album at ear blistering volume whenever we fired up the ol' hookah pipe, but that's about as far as I went with them... ahhh, memories!!), but I have always enjoyed tracks like "From the Beginning" (which was covered by Dokken on their DYSFUNCTIONAL album, don'cha know) and "Lucky Man," both of which are also present on this CD. Which is a good thing too, cuz aside from "Father Christmas" and the other two aforementioned tracks, the bulk of this disc is waaaaaaayyyy too self indulgent and wanky for me. These guys were quite simply showin' off. By the halfway point I was like "Okay, okay, fellas, we GET it. You're F'ing virtuosos. Now how'bout playing something that DOESN'T have a twenty minute Moog synthesizer interlude in it?"

Heart - DOG & BUTTERFLY (1978)

I've never been more than a casual fan of Heart, but I do like their "radio hits" and shoot, who didn't have a biggy styley crush on Nancy Wilson back in the day? Haha. Anyway, from what I understand "D&B" is considered one of Heart's best albums and I dug it quite a bit. Heart's template was pretty simple in their early days - they were heavily influenced by the bombast of Zeppelin (tell me Ann Wilson's vox aren't very Robert Plant-ish) as well as the mellow, folky hippie acoustic sound that was popular in their Pacific Northwest home area, so they smashed the two sounds together. Therefore most of the songs start out all strummy and dreamy and then BAM! They rock out in the second half. Good stuff, I especially liked the opener "Cook With Fire" and the classic "Mistral Wind."

Heart - JUPITERS DARLING (2004)

Also picked up this more recent-vintage Heart disc and even though 20+ years separate it from DOG & BUTTERFLY, their sound hasn't changed all that much (or perhaps Heart merely headed back to their 'classic" sound, after many years of dabbling in slicker, more AOR pastures?)... anyway, the album is apparently a concept piece about "a temptress who lures men of power away from making war," not that you'd know that without reading the lyric booklet. Once again, the songs are a blend of the groovy/hippie acoustic vibes shot through with regular doses of arena-rock volume. Mike Inez of Alice In Chains (!) plays bass on this record. I thought that was an odd combo at first, but then I realized that since the Wilson sisters are legendary in the Seattle area, if they call you up and ask you to play on their record, you're probably not gonna tell'em "No thanks."

Final score? ELP will only get pulled off the shelf each December so I can hear "I Believe in Father Christmas." As for the Heart discs... some pretty damn good stuff there. I think I'm gonna be exploring more of the Heart catalog down the road. Who knew? :blink:

• My Little Pony

Some unusual (for me, anyway) pickups from my local library's annual Book Sale yesterday...

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - THE BEST OF (1994)

"(I had a college friend who insisted on listening to their BRAIN SALAD SURGERY album at ear blistering volume whenever we fired up the ol' hookah pipe, but that's about as far as I went with them... ahhh, memories!!)"

"Now how'bout playing something that DOESN'T have a twenty minute Moog synthesizer interlude in it?"

Oh, no! Hooka is all about relaxation. I can't relax to blistering music of any kind. Also, I love twenty minute synth interludes!! But I'm a big progressive freak.

Oh, no! Hooka is all about relaxation. I can't relax to blistering music of any kind.

It was either that or Nine Inch Nails' THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL... so I'd take ELP over that any day... :D

Imagika - Devils On Both Sides

Not nearly as good as 'Worship' by the same band; a few good songs, some nice guitar solos and it's bound to grow on me. Title track sounds pretty weak.

Crazy Lixx – Riot Avenue

Now this is going to be interesting, as I'm going to receive Baby Jane – In the Spotlight tomorrow, which might make out to be a good comparison...anyway here's my first thoughts:

1) I LOVE this band and my expectations before I've heard first samples were sky-high.

2) When I heard the samples in Frontiers' press release I was disappointed. I refused to listen to further samples.

So when I finally gave this my first spin this morning, I was pleasantly surprised. Sound is much rawer this time and so far there's a standout track missing, but their song-writing skills are still there. Actually I think after a couple more spins this is going to hold up pretty well against their predecessors. In fact I think that their musicianship has further improved and Andy Dawson is a fantastic guitarrist. So, here's hoping they manage to keep the band together and find themselves a new drummer/bassist.

I wonder whether they are all newly written songs of if they've used a couple of left-overs from their 'New Religion'-session (they've demoed about 22 tracks back then), as the title track and 'Heatseeker' could as well have been on that record.

Jorn - Live in Black

A two cd plus dvd set that all in all is a pretty killer live album and show. It has most of what you'd expect from Jorn's solo catalog minus a few tracks but I can't complain to much. Good album and dvd plus you get two videos.

Electric Angels - S/T

I've never taken the time to listen to this album but have always read good things. I'm pleasantly surprised as it's a really good melodic rock album but is so different to what was going on at the time in the late 80's.

Autograph -That's The Stuff

"Take No Prisoners" is such a great song and there are so many others here as well like "Blondes in Black Cars", "Six String Fever","Changing Hands", "Built for Speed" and the title track. Good album!

Autograph - Loud and Clear

I'm not sure how this band wasn't bigger as this is a good album too with two songs that should have been huge in "Everytime I Dream" and "Just Got Back From Heaven".

Vandenberg - S/T

I've never had this one in any form but had all of the other studio albums on cassette and the best of on cassette and cd but this is a great album too. Of course "Burning Heart" is amazing but most of the album is of high quality too with Adrian's great playing pushing the whole thing.

Armored Saint - Delirious Nomad

Not sure why I've never owned this but I am glad I do now. Now quite as classic as the debut March of the Saint and maybe not as many memorable songs but after a few spins it gets better and better and not any bad songs IMO.

Weapons - Captive Audience

Nice package with the cd and dvd of a live show and a video. This band is kind of like a B version of Keel IMO but still had some great songs but just wish the sound was better. It almost sounds like it's ripped from an LP. "Love Games", "The Rock Starts Here", "Runaway" and "Social Disease" are the best tunes IMO.