First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Also Wes, since you think Geoff's post is so God Like, you also therefore agree that your favourite album in 2011 is worth a mere 84.5%.

Mmmm.

I didn't agree with the 84.5%(I'll take your word for it that his ratings added up to that) I just agree that it's a great album(obviously since it was my fav of 2011 but to be honest my top 5 could switch places over and over and it wouldn't bother me to much as I had a tough time picking a fav) but it's not as good as No Respect and that's just my opinion. Sure I've had 23 years to live with and sure that helps but even if they came out in the same year I still think No Respect is a better album and to me it has more depth and what some critics would call "light and shade" with great build up balanced out the faster and heavier sounds. But that's just how I feel. I realize not everyone loves No Respect like I do and I'm sure there are many cds that others love that I don't and that's just the way it is and I can live with that. If I had to rate the two cds I'd say No Respect is about as close 100% as I could get with Enough Rope being somewhere around 90%. I also rate Move On It and All Those Strangers somewhere around 90% as well and although not everyone loves Fade and On the Line I still rate those two high as I've played them 100's of times over the years and continue to play them. I don't know what else to say but that I'm just a huge Vain fan but it will be a cold day in hell before I rate anything they ever do above No Respect. It's just that good and it's just meant to much to me through out my life.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this VAIN case is almost the same case with SKID ROW vs SLAVE TO THE GRIND or DANGER DANGER vs SCREW IT, quite identical in terms of strength but everyone has different opinions about which one is better, some call it even, there's no right or wrong to it I guess, it's all really about personal taste.

Nice theory, but just to throw a spanner in the works as usual, my ratings:

Skid Row 7/10

Slave To The Grind 9.5/10

Danger Danger 10/10

Screw It 5/10

Does prove the point about personal taste though.

I think this VAIN case is almost the same case with SKID ROW vs SLAVE TO THE GRIND or DANGER DANGER vs SCREW IT, quite identical in terms of strength but everyone has different opinions about which one is better, some call it even, there's no right or wrong to it I guess, it's all really about personal taste.

Nice theory, but just to throw a spanner in the works as usual, my ratings:

Skid Row 7/10

Slave To The Grind 9.5/10

Danger Danger 10/10

Screw It 5/10

Does prove the point about personal taste though.

James, your opinion doesn't count as you're actually not from planet Earth but totally from different galaxy :christmas: peace, friend :drink:

well back to VAIN case, it's funny that we argue between 'on par' and 'No Respect is better' since the opposition party claims the debut around 95-100% and the new one is 89-90%, so it's only less than 10% gap which also can be categorized as 'on par'.

If you rate the debut 100% and the new one is only 80% or low, or even 50% like James did, then we can continue this discussion, don't you agree ? :D

James, your opinion doesn't count as you're actually not from planet Earth but totally from different galaxy :christmas: peace, friend :drink:

well back to VAIN case, it's funny that we argue between 'on par' and 'No Respect is better' since the opposition party claims the debut around 95-100% and the new one is 89-90%, so it's only less than 10% gap which also can be categorized as 'on par'.

If you rate the debut 100% and the new one is only 80% or low, or even 50% like James did, then we can continue this discussion, don't you agree ? :D

I think you're right. As far as this site goes, I've burnt my bridges because there are so many popular bands that I don't like. FM, Treat, Vain, Pink Cream 69, Gotthard and The Poodles all spring to mind. You can't dislike all of those bands and still have any credibility left on HH.

As for the Vain debate, my opinion is 100% irrelevant. For my tastes, I would rate 'No Respect' at around 20%, so there's no way I'm ever going to listen to the new one!

Weird comparisons as everyone is saying how similar to 'No respect' 'Enough Rope' is, yet with the 2 examples above, they could be 2 albums from totally different bands considering how different the 2nd albums were to those debuts. ;)

Happy to end the Vain discussion too. Pun intended. I wonder if it's simply a case of long term fans of the band preferring the debut as we know it can't get better than that, and the fly-by-nighters seem to agree the new one is their favourite. For whatever reason, maybe that's just how it rolls. To each their own, but for me it's 'No Respect' hands down. :)

Weird comparisons as everyone is saying how similar to 'No respect' 'Enough Rope' is, yet with the 2 examples above, they could be 2 albums from totally different bands considering how different the 2nd albums were to those debuts. ;)

Happy to end the Vain discussion too. Pun intended. I wonder if it's simply a case of long term fans of the band preferring the debut as we know it can't get better than that, and the fly-by-nighters seem to agree the new one is their favourite. For whatever reason, maybe that's just how it rolls. To each their own, but for me it's 'No Respect' hands down. :)

Maybe also we should be grateful for great bands still producing great music :-))

By that comparison, I only said that they share the same strength, but not the same sound, and through the years, there's always an ongoing debate of whether the debut is better than the second, and I'm only thinking the VAIN one will also be the same.

BTW, yesterday I got the VAIN bootleg 89-05, just watch half of it, intend to complete it tonight or tomorrow night. Looks like a good buy from MBM if you're a fan, but not essential as the video quality is quite poor and I think it's like from an audience cam. It's a concert from Osaka circa 90, promoting 'No Respect' so you know what songs they're going to play, and considering it's an extremely rare product so yeah it's a good buy I guess.

Just picked up Faith-Crown Of Thorns on sale for $8 so thought i would take a chance as i like some songs from Drums Along The Mohawk by Jean Beauvoir.My first thoughts are this needs to rock out some more but has some cool tunes and the guitar work is killer.

Will give this a few more spins and see how i feel after that.

Bai Baing - Best Of

Some good stuff on here and this is my intro to the band. 20 songs and it comes from the swedmetal label. There area a few fillers but the killers like "Lay Down", "Rock N Roll City", "Answer" and "Only the Strong" make up for them.

Sweet Cheater - Eatin Aint Cheatin

Ratt, Kix and about every other big 80's Hard Rock band in a blender makes this a fun disc. Not every song is perfect there's some great tunes here like "All Fired Up", "Summer", "One Love", "Dancin On My Grave" and "Romina".

Redrum - No Turning Back

Another good project with Michael Bormann. Not great like the classic Jaded Heart stuff but very good. "Rock Nation" is fun and kics ass. I also love "No Turning Back", "Rise Up", "Heart to Heart", "Judgment Day", "Lonely Lady" and "You're Unusable".

Talon - III

I didn't have to many pleasant things to say about this on first or second spin but after three spins it has gotten better. The problem I've had is the sound. I mean WTF? The first two releases sound great but this one sounds so thin with no edge to it at all almost like these are demos. I will say that there are some great songs here like "Crying to Me", "The Last Time", "Everytime" and "Did You Have to Say" but was hoping there would be more heavier Dokken style tunes instead of the AOR influence found on most of the tracks. I'll continue to play it and hope it continues to grow but as it stands it's my least fav of the Talon releases with the debut being my fav.

Edit: Okay maybe there's more great songs than I first thought. "Maybe One Day" is a fabulous ballad and the Jeff Scott Soto co-lead vocal on "Take You All the Way" is very good and the song is much heavier than I first remembered and has some nice solos throughout. "You Don't Know Me At All" is another winning tune as well. I still have an issue with the sound but the songs are much better than I first thought.

Just picked up Faith-Crown Of Thorns on sale for $8 so thought i would take a chance as i like some songs from Drums Along The Mohawk by Jean Beauvoir.My first thoughts are this needs to rock out some more but has some cool tunes and the guitar work is killer.

Will give this a few more spins and see how i feel after that.

I have played this some more and it has growen on me alot,so this one's a keeper.

KIMBALL/JAMISON - S/T

FERGIE FREDRICKSEN - Happiness is the Road

Finally picked up these two, long after everyone else did. In fact unlike most others I prefer the Kimball/Jamison disc, just has better songs on it IMO. In fact the best 3 songs on these albums are all on the K/J disc, "Worth Fighing For", "Can't Wait for Love", and "Kicking & Screaming". That said the Fergie disc is slightly more consistent, as the K/J has quite a few filler through the middle and a very weak closing song ("Your Photograph"). The highlight on the Fergie disc is "The future aint what it used to be" and the Peterik-penned title-track, but there really isn't a filler. Both are on the better side of Frontiers project discs, and both are worth getting, but if you had to get one then it should be the Kimball/Jamison IMO.

Fergie - 7/10

Kimball/Jamison - 8/10

FIONA - Unbroken

I gave this a couple more spins after initial impressions, in case I was missing something. But I'm not. This is very very average. Compounded by a rough & ready production job which takes the polish out of the sound. There are some high-points, particularly the Robin Beck duet (though Beck is clearly the better vocalist) but there's also some crap - "Shadows of the Night", "Loved Along the Way" - and a lot of mediocrity. The last Robin Beck was better than this, and "Squeeze" was a million miles better. Skip it. 5/10.

KIMBALL/JAMISON - S/T

Finally picked up these two, long after everyone else did. In fact unlike most others I prefer the Kimball/Jamison disc, just has better songs on it IMO. In fact the best 3 songs on these albums are all on the K/J disc, "Worth Fighing For", "Can't Wait for Love", and "Kicking & Screaming". That said the Fergie disc is slightly more consistent, as the K/J has quite a few filler through the middle and a very weak closing song ("Your Photograph"). The highlight on the Fergie disc is "The future aint what it used to be" and the Peterik-penned title-track, but there really isn't a filler. Both are on the better side of Frontiers project discs, and both are worth getting, but if you had to get one then it should be the Kimball/Jamison IMO.

Fergie - 7/10

Kimball/Jamison - 8/10

I surprised myself by actually giving the nod to FF, by 1%! :lol: But I agree, the best songs are on K/J but the FF is just a little more consistent.

KIMBALL/JAMISON - S/T

Fergie - 7/10

Kimball/Jamison - 8/10

I surprised myself by actually giving the nod to FF, by 1%! :lol: But I agree, the best songs are on K/J but the FF is just a little more consistent.

I still rated Fergie better, in fact, I up-ped my score to 85% from 80% after 4-5 spins and Kimball/Jamison is still around 80%, yeah both are worth getting, even though I can't find a decent price for K/J :doh:

ACOUSTIC SAINTS - st EP (2012)

an acoustical live project of Stan Bush, Chuck Wright (bass), and Rick Sailon (violin/mandolin), consisted of classic covers of Don Henley ('Boys of Summer'), Led Zeppelin ('Ramble On'), Rod Steward ('Maggie May'), Procol Harum ('Whiter Shade of Pale'), and also House of Lords track, 'Love Don't Lie', which was penned by Bush himself, and another song of his, 'In Your Eyes'.

This is a very enjoyable acoustical trio I must say, the violin added a different touch, and the arrangement is unique. Bush' vocal is awesome, and sadly it's only a promotional release and not-for-sale. I think they should have made a complete 10-tracks album with probably 4 new songs. This is available for download I guess, not really sure whether it's free or not, but I think it is.

80%

AGENT X - Rock N Roll Angels EP (2011)

a late release of Demon Dolls, a nice 6 songs EP of band that was fronted by Danny Simon (JAILHOUSE). This is 80s melodic hard rock with a little bit of AOR feel. The production is quite average but acceptable for old dusty demos I guess. Best track here is 'Chasing The Night', and came up second 'Run If You Can'. Two other great tracks and the last two are quite good too. Worth to buy if the price is cheap as this is a silver-pressed pressing and not CDR. I guess this should fall between 75%-80%.

BLACK ROSE - Cure For Your Disease (2010)

missed this album when it's out back then. Pretty nice effort and I didn't know until recently that they're actually an old British band from 1987. I can think of less-bluesy version of GREAT WHITE with AC/DC or JACKYL touch. The production is great, and I'm not sure whether this is available in CD version, any idea ?

The highlight here is Steve Bardsley amazing vocal and some songs that I dig are the title track, 'Twice Shy Once Bitten', 'Fight For Your Life', 'Doghouse', and 'Love Addiction'. The rest are great too except 'Sign of The Times', 'Killing Yourself To Live', and 'So Predictable' (probably the worst) being the filler. Another solid 80%!

LEPROUS - Bilateral (2011)

Introduced by a friend of mine who consider this as his top 10 albums of 2011. A very difficult album to digest as it combines alt/prog element from MUSE, extreme part of OPETH, psychedelic side of PORCUPINE TREE, and the classic prog of KING CRIMSON. Innovative and complex yet accessible if compared to other complex prog, but need time to concentrate on this heavily I guess. My picks here are 'Bilateral', 'Forced Entry', 'Thorn', 'Mb.Indifferentia' and the low side are 'Waste of Air', 'Mediocrity Wins', and 'Cryptogenic Desires'.

70%-75% for start but I'm not sure whether it can climb higher. Good album anyway!

NOLOVELOST - s/t (2011)

Hard rock with dark atmosphere, the production is average, and the cover is one of the worst I've ever seen. 4-5 good tracks and the rest are disposable. '(Eternal) Miles Apart' is classic Deep Purple/Rainbow style but with more melodies, decent verse but great chorus; 'Another Bad Goodbye' is a nice 80s glam style; 'Back On The Streets' is also a good uptempo track; and 'Little Thing' is good tune as well. 65%

SAFETYSUIT - These Times (2012)

A surprisingly great modern rock album. I agree with the term 'atmospheric modern rock', I can sense some COLDPLAY here, but I think they're heavily influenced by U2, especially The Edge guitar style. Not only that, I can think of other radio-friendly bands such as LIFEHOUSE and GOO GOO DOLLS within their style. The ethereal rhythm on tracks like 'Believe', 'Crash', and 'Life In The Pain' are awesome. Some other fave tunes are 'Get Around This', 'Let Go', 'These Times', 'One Time', and 'Things To Say'.

A strong album but I'm still anticipating more spins as I'm afraid this can be bored quite easy, but for now, I'll go with 85%

SAVAGE MESSIAH - Plague of Conscience (2012)

a brave move by the band, distributing their latest album freely. This is classic thrash metal as in the mid-80s, recommended for fans of those years. Some great songs such as the title track, 'In Thought Alone', All Seeing I', 'Architects of Fear', and 'Shadowbound' are my best picks and some acceptable fillers here are 'Six Feet Under The Gun', 'Carnival of Souls', and 'The Accuser'. Good production however the vocal isn't very good. I'm afraid this is also easy to wear thin after 4-5 spins. 75%

STEELWING - Zone of Alienation (2012)

Swedish heavy metal band and a winner of Rock The Nation Award in 2009. Their debut is good but apparently this is better. IRON MAIDEN influence is obvious but they also nod to the other metal gods such as RUNNING WILD and SAXON. The musicianship is impressive, great vocal, great solos as well as harmonies, the drums are also awesome. Too bad 8+1 tracks seem too short (with 2 intro/outro and 1 demo) but the quality is high. I love 'Solar Wind Riders', 'Full Speed Ahead', 'Breathless', 'Zone of Alienation', and 'They Came From The Skies'. 'Lunacy Rising' is a crazy 10-min epic, reminds me to IRON MAIDEN classic. Good job and the sound production is also very 80s.

85% and looks like 2012 has a great start for metal!

WALKING WITH KINGS - s/t (2012)

Christian hard rock album and a free album to be downloaded at their website. The first song is really superb, 'Mention of Your Name'. They combine the modern metal element on some songs and also classic hard rock on the rest, making a volatile album and harder for 80s fans to digest fully. Other great tunes here are 'Wicked Ways', 'Change The World', 'Home' (uptempo) and the piano ballad version is even better. The lows are 'Here I Stand', 'Leap of Faith', and 'Autumn Brings'. Great vocal and great production too! 75%

SAFETYSUIT - These Times

Second disc from mellow modern rockers and after the killer debut I was very excited about this. It's a touch heavier with less ballads, but is still mostly just below mid-pace throughout. It's also noticably more modern sounding (with intriguing modern production techniques used) and more pop-sounding. Frankly on first spin I wasn't that impressed with the first 3 songs, including poppy first single "Get Around This", which were too much like modern pop with little in the way of killer hooks. But then it all changed. The mid album combo of "Staring At It", "These Times", and "Never Stop" are about as good as you want modern rock to sound. Big melodies, lush choruses, and clever lyrics (the title-track is very uplifting). The remaining songs mix more modern pop with some more killer rock - "Stranger" is another great song - and ends with the amazing ballad "Life in the Pain" which is very reminiscent of "Life Left to Go" from the debut. Those of you that like to individually score albums would probably only give this about an 8/10 given the variety of songs on offer, but that doesn't do any justice to an album that contains some of the best modern rock songs you're every likely to hear. And frankly "Staring At It" is worth the entry price all on it's own...

NOLOVELOST - s/t (2011)

Hard rock with dark atmosphere, the production is average, and the cover is one of the worst I've ever seen. 4-5 good tracks and the rest are disposable. '(Eternal) Miles Apart' is classic Deep Purple/Rainbow style but with more melodies, decent verse but great chorus; 'Another Bad Goodbye' is a nice 80s glam style; 'Back On The Streets' is also a good uptempo track; and 'Little Thing' is good tune as well. 65%

Very disappointed to hear this is just come crabby AOR type stuff as I was expecting a new album from the modern rock band of the same name. Killer band (the modern one), and the way David was writing his up and coming for 2012 lists I thought it was the modern band, not this... whatever it is. Will give it a proper listen soon, but I was hoping for something else. :(

A surprisingly great modern rock album. I agree with the term 'atmospheric modern rock', I can sense some COLDPLAY here, but I think they're heavily influenced by U2, especially The Edge guitar style. Not only that, I can think of other radio-friendly bands such as LIFEHOUSE and GOO GOO DOLLS within their style. The ethereal rhythm on tracks like 'Believe', 'Crash', and 'Life In The Pain' are awesome. Some other fave tunes are 'Get Around This', 'Let Go', 'These Times', 'One Time', and 'Things To Say'.

A strong album but I'm still anticipating more spins as I'm afraid this can be bored quite easy, but for now, I'll go with 85%

I heard this for the first time last night and I am very impressed. I have a feeling that after a few spins this may well rival the debut. Some really great tunes on here and I didn't find anything that was below par. Great band and album.

Christian hard rock album and a free album to be downloaded at their website. The first song is really superb, 'Mention of Your Name'. They combine the modern metal element on some songs and also classic hard rock on the rest, making a volatile album and harder for 80s fans to digest fully. Other great tunes here are 'Wicked Ways', 'Change The World', 'Home' (uptempo) and the piano ballad version is even better. The lows are 'Here I Stand', 'Leap of Faith', and 'Autumn Brings'. Great vocal and great production too! 75%

Yeah, not a bad album at all to be honest. I wasn't expecting a christian band but luckily they weren't too in your face and aside from a bit of stupid, cliche christian rubbish it's not bad. And the songs are quite strong. Not a perfect album by any means, but I did think this was a pretty good album.

NOLOVELOST - s/t (2011)

Very disappointed to hear this is just come crabby AOR type stuff as I was expecting a new album from the modern rock band of the same name. Killer band (the modern one), and the way David was writing his up and coming for 2012 lists I thought it was the modern band, not this... whatever it is. Will give it a proper listen soon, but I was hoping for something else. :(

I heard this for the first time last night and I am very impressed. I have a feeling that after a few spins this may well rival the debut. Some really great tunes on here and I didn't find anything that was below par. Great band and album.

Yeah, not a bad album at all to be honest. I wasn't expecting a christian band but luckily they weren't too in your face and aside from a bit of stupid, cliche christian rubbish it's not bad. And the songs are quite strong. Not a perfect album by any means, but I did think this was a pretty good album.

ha ha , me too re No Love Lost....what a bummer!

& just wanted to echo everyones opinion of Safety Suit.....great band and a very worthy follow up.

• 2 weeks later...

BLESSED BY A BROKENHEART - Feel The Power (2012)

a surprisingly awesome modern heavy metal album with a significant 80s glam element thrown in. I still can spot a little bit occasional screamo effect on some songs, but that's still acceptable, and to hear how Shred Sean (lousy nickname btw) launch the superfantastic solos on most songs, that's a big plus on this album. I love 'Shut Up and Rock', the radio friendly hit 'Forever', the fast-paced 'Holding Back For Nothing', the superb and anthemic track, 'Rockin' All Night', and the closing track, 'Sleepless Nights'.

All tracks are enjoyable with 'Skate or Die' and 'Innocent Blood' are slightly weaker than the rest. The production is also great. I gave it an 85%, a solid album!

COLORSTONE - Into The Garden (2012)

a band that's strengthened by Frederik Bergengren from TIME GALLERY and just when I think it's an AOR album, apparently it's far from it. This is hard rock with a little alternative touch and some funky element, so AOR fans might want to stay away. And built up with 17 tracks, that's a load of songs there and as expected, many of them are just plain average and awful. Some acceptable tunes for me here are 'Intoxicated', 'Flowing', 'Truly Mine', 'How Do You Feel', 'Somene Else' (the best track), and 'Solitude Waiting' (second best), but the rest mostly are just average and/or passable. 65%

KEN HENSLEY & THE LIVE FIRE - Faster (2011)

a gift from a local label, I didn't expect this to be good as I'm not a fan of URIAH HEEP in the first place, but though far from great, it's better than I thought. All songs are listenable and most of them are melodic but I will admit I dislike the vocal style. My faves are 'The Curse', 'Slippin' Away', 'Beyond The Starz', and 'Somewhere (In Paradise)'. The bad part of this album is the opening, 'Set Me Free', and the closing tune, 'Slow' (which is a bonus track). 70%

LILLIAN AXE - XI : The Days Before Tomorrow (2012)

Funny when you read Steve Blaze's comment the other day 'this is the best thing we've recorded', you know usually the reality is the other way around. New singer, Brian Jones, doesn't help much. The mediocrity of this album kills the momentum. From the first track to the last, I can't find a really solid and strong song at all. 'Babylon', 'Death Comes Tomorrow', 'Bow Your Head', 'Soul Disease' are among the 7/10 and the rest are spread evenly at 6/10. Not sure how I go on the second spin, but this is just painfully average. 60%

MOLLO/MARTIN - The Third Cage (2012)

A combination of decent hard rock and doomy side of BLACK SABBATH, not sure if this is acceptable for the MHR crowd, I think it's not a very easy album to digest. If you like Sabbath, chances are you'll like 'Wicked World', 'Oh My Soul', or 'Still In Love With You', and if you're a casual MHR fans, probably only 'One of The Few' and 'Don't Know What It Is About You' can please you. The rest are sadly quite weak and I can't find the appeal on that. 65%

TRYX - Dayz Gone By (2011)

A part of me really dig this while another part of me despise it, that's quite confusing but to be honest, this is an interesting album. They combine the bubblegum power pop of late 70s and glam rock, or in other words, poppish glam rock. They even did THE ARCHIES classic hit, 'Sugar Sugar', and some other songs I like here are 'Don't You Need It', 'You've Got Alot To Learn About Love', and 'Whatever Happened To Tomorrow'. The rest are okay, quite enjoyable, but only if you dig the pop element.

Sound production is quite disappointing, but that's also because it's from dusty demos but from Demon Dolls information, this is silver pressed pressing. 70% for starter

UNISONIC - Ignition EP (2012)

After a proper listen, instead of HELLOWEEN, I think they're more of a heavier version of PLACE VENDOME, probably also a cross with PINK CREAM 69. 'Unisonic' is familiar, great track, but 'My Sanctuary' is slightly better and more PLACE VENDOME style than the first track. 'Souls Alive' is a good demo track and it's always interesting to see Hansen-Kiske teamed up again to bring 'I Want Out' alive again. 85% from me and a great EP this one is, lookin' forward to the full-length album in the near future

RIVAL SONS - Pressure & Time (2011)

I'm kinda excited when I first heard 'All Over The Road' on Youtube, thinking this could be another THE ANSWER that brought back a fine classic rock emulation. I heard a lot Led Zeppelin elements on that song, but also some southern element like THE BLACK CROWES, but sadly, that song is one of the finest, along with the ballad, 'Only One' and 'Face of Light', but the rest seemed tired, too forceful to capture the 70s vibe, and quite average. Some nice riffs, and the sound is totally Page/Bonham to me (the production was meant to be dated), probably if they emphasize more on the LZ side and not southern, I can dig em more.

Other complain is songs are too short, many are below 3 minutes mark, and I can also hear some BLACK STONE CHERRY in here. A good album, but can't beat THE ANSWER's debut but probably better than WOLFMOTHER. 70%

a surprisingly awesome modern heavy metal album with a significant 80s glam element thrown in. I still can spot a little bit occasional screamo effect on some songs, but that's still acceptable, and to hear how Shred Sean (lousy nickname btw) launch the superfantastic solos on most songs, that's a big plus on this album. I love 'Shut Up and Rock', the radio friendly hit 'Forever', the fast-paced 'Holding Back For Nothing', the superb and anthemic track, 'Rockin' All Night', and the closing track, 'Sleepless Nights'.

All tracks are enjoyable with 'Skate or Die' and 'Innocent Blood' are slightly weaker than the rest. The production is also great. I gave it an 85%, a solid album!

At this point in time, it's hard to spin anything else from 2012 other than this (and Safetysuit) to be honest. Goddamn I really love this thing. I really admire the kids for coming up with absolutely awesome songs in 'Shut Up and Rock', 'Skate of Die' and to a slightly lesser degree, 'Rockin' All Night.' Tackiest, most cliche lyrics ever... but f*ck me if the songs don't totally work for me. Killer, killer stuff.

a band that's strengthened by Frederik Bergengren from TIME GALLERY and just when I think it's an AOR album, apparently it's far from it. This is hard rock with a little alternative touch and some funky element, so AOR fans might want to stay away. And built up with 17 tracks, that's a load of songs there and as expected, many of them are just plain average and awful. Some acceptable tunes for me here are 'Intoxicated', 'Flowing', 'Truly Mine', 'How Do You Feel', 'Somene Else' (the best track), and 'Solitude Waiting' (second best), but the rest mostly are just average and/or passable. 65%

This was SOOO hard to listen to, and it just didn't end. What was it, like 20 tracks or something. Man it was painful. I didn't mind 1 or 2 songs, but otherwise this hurt.

Halo - s/t ; admittedly the lyrics are terrible and it's pretty heavily preachy, but this is one of the few christian melodic rock albums that rises above the rubbish. This is a pretty damn good melodic rock / AOR album, I do confess. They even get away with singing shit like 'Jesus Music' just because the songs are so good. Of the 10, I don't think there was really a weak song. I just wish they sung about something worthwhile... ;)

Halo - 'Heaven Calling' ; there are more than one band that released a cracking debut followed by a really mellow follow-up with a cover dominated by the colour blue. Odd but it's a fact. This is still okay, but seriously toned down (sadly, not in terms of the lyrics - just the music) and pretty ordinary / average. I didn't think it was awful, but like I said in another thread, as soon as the music dips a bit the c*nty lyrics really start to stand out and you're just wishing the guys would shut the f*ck about about their unhealthy obsession with Jesus and God, of which you will find a reference to in every single line of every single song. It's just overkill and if it was any other subject matter repeated so painfully over and over again it'd be just as frustrating. Weak follow-up to a great debut, is my conclusion.

At this point in time, it's hard to spin anything else from 2012 other than this (and Safetysuit) to be honest. Goddamn I really love this thing. I really admire the kids for coming up with absolutely awesome songs in 'Shut Up and Rock', 'Skate of Die' and to a slightly lesser degree, 'Rockin' All Night.' Tackiest, most cliche lyrics ever... but f*ck me if the songs don't totally work for me. Killer, killer stuff.

This was SOOO hard to listen to, and it just didn't end. What was it, like 20 tracks or something. Man it was painful. I didn't mind 1 or 2 songs, but otherwise this hurt.

Halo - s/t ; admittedly the lyrics are terrible and it's pretty heavily preachy, but this is one of the few christian melodic rock albums that rises above the rubbish. This is a pretty damn good melodic rock / AOR album, I do confess. They even get away with singing shit like 'Jesus Music' just because the songs are so good. Of the 10, I don't think there was really a weak song. I just wish they sung about something worthwhile... ;)

Halo - 'Heaven Calling' ; there are more than one band that released a cracking debut followed by a really mellow follow-up with a cover dominated by the colour blue. Odd but it's a fact. This is still okay, but seriously toned down (sadly, not in terms of the lyrics - just the music) and pretty ordinary / average. I didn't think it was awful, but like I said in another thread, as soon as the music dips a bit the c*nty lyrics really start to stand out and you're just wishing the guys would shut the f*ck about about their unhealthy obsession with Jesus and God, of which you will find a reference to in every single line of every single song. It's just overkill and if it was any other subject matter repeated so painfully over and over again it'd be just as frustrating. Weak follow-up to a great debut, is my conclusion.

is there anything else other than those 2 ?? lol

Im with you that 'Skate Or Die' is killer NOT filler ;-)

:lol: Probably not. I've heard a few others like what Nightrain's listed, but nothing else worth hearing yet.

Everytime I hear 'Skate Or Die' I wonder if I'll like it a little less for it's tackiness, but I never do. I agree, it is such a killer track.

Whoops, was meant to do this too:

These are some of the albums that provided the soundtrack for a small part of my trip to Tasmania:

7 Wishes - When Rock N Roll Turns Into Buziness ; terrible piece of shit. About 1 or 2 playable songs on this weak as piss AOR-ish, demo-sounding disc.

Angelheart - 'WHOA' and 'Caution ! It rocks......' ; this band is so shit I really hated spinning these 2 CDs. I really hope I can get rid of them asap. Just terrible music, and no caution necessary as it does not rock at all.

Eternal Flame - Desire ; surprisingly good melodic hard rock CD. Opens with a blatant, awful filler, but the rest was pretty impressive. Good disc.

Private Angel - Selling Off Time in Wonderland ; really bland hard rock CD. It wasn't all too bad, but it was so dull to play that I delayed it for ages. Doubt I'd spin it again.

Cold – Superfiction ; exactly what you'd expect from these guys - no more no less. So if you liked them before you'll enjoy this, if not you won't. I'm in-between. They're okay. Could easily do without this, though.

Tim Feehan - Tim Feehan ; not really AOR, but more 80's pop. I think one song was okay, but otherwise, definitely not my type of music at all. Big fail.

Tim Feehan - Full Contact ; 'Somebody else's moment' is worth the price of this alone. Super song. There's a few other decent songs - certainly a lot better than the debut. Not great, but good enough album.

Robert Louden - Robert Louden ; if I recall correctly, as I drove through the Snowy Mountains in one of the heaviest storms I've seen in my life, this wasn't so bad. Not mind blowing, but pretty good, solid AOR. I think there were a few write-offs, maybe with horns and stuff even... but it was a decent disc, I think.

PAX - 10000 Words ; this one was the surprise of my trip. Not brilliant, but I ran it through the player a few times after a few individual tracks really, really impressed me. Picked it up for a few dollars from NEH and I'd suggest if you're picking up an order from NEH and have $2 to spare, or whatever it is, to give this a go. A handful of real nice tracks on this one. Melodic hard rock, I believe, with a slightly modern feel to it.

Room77 - At Home ; I can't remember what happened after a pretty decent start. I think these guys might be Finnish and of course that same guy was there, singing on the CD... but I think there were a few decent tracks on this one. I'd spin it again before getting rid of it.

Tepper, Robert - No Easy Way Out ; had this tape in the past but barely spun it, and not at all in the last 10 years. So it was kind of like a first spin all over again (same with 'Rubbin' me the right way') and goddamn, this is a great album. Was playing as I wrote my car off too. :lol: Not to worry, though, it's still a great album. Love the title track.

Wicked Temptation - Seein Aint Believin ; really average hard rock, this one. Very forgettable and I'd trade it off in a heartbeat.

Xoch - The One ; this had it's moments, but for the most part was a bit pointless. I have good memories of where I was when I was playing this - the lovely Lilydale Falls region *sighs with joyous recollections* but the CD was pretty shit to be honest. Decent singer-songwriter mellow lady fronted disc, but certainly not worth checking out really.

Sweet Killer - Woman For Sale

Just can't get past the really awful vocals on this. Not to my taste at all, completely ruin the songs and I won't be listening to it again!

:geoffadillos:

I don't get this one. They have a freakin' awesome 80's rocker like Rockin' All Night and then they mix it with a bunch of nu metal. It's annoying. Either stay with the 80's stuff and market yourself as glam or stick with the screaming and the kick drums. Not sure if I like this band or not. I really don't. They are just so all over the place. I do then I don't. It's yo you music. :unsure:

:lol: Probably not. I've heard a few others like what Nightrain's listed, but nothing else worth hearing yet.

Everytime I hear 'Skate Or Die' I wonder if I'll like it a little less for it's tackiness, but I never do. I agree, it is such a killer track.

hm I didn't state 'Skate or Die' a filler, I just thought it's slightly worse than the rest, but anyway it's just first spin, I don't think there's even a filler around, it almost has the same strength with one another, but sometimes consistency can bring an average score to the end after multi spins, but never know until later :)