First Spin Impressions

JustJason

JEFF SCOTT SOTO - Damage Control (2012)

I guess this album is already anticipated, the quality is pretty high, and JSS vocal is no doubt one of the best out there. The songs are very enjoyable, most of them are in the melodic rock territory, and some of my faves here are 'Look Inside Your Heart', 'Die A Little', 'If I Never Let Her Go', 'Tears That I Cry' (probably second best), 'Bonafide', and 'How To Love Again' which is arguably the best track here. The rest are great at 8/10 range and probably only the last track, 'Never Ending War', is a dud. Production also is pretty good here and I believe 85% is a good start for this.

backed. On pretty much all in fact. 'How To Love Again' is fantastic, as is 'Die A Little'. Also worthy of mention is the bonus track 'Elena' which sounds great (the other 2 bonus tracks sound like fillers).....if they had left off track 11 and replaced with Elena it would be pretty perfect to these ears...will probably pan out around 90%. I would recommend pre-ordering the std cd.

Is this anything like the last disc? I really didn't like that one...

For the record I love 'Beautiful Mess'...a great and very varied album imo, and contains 2 of my favourite JSS- 'Your Song' and 'Gin & Tonic Sky'.

BUT.......Damage Control is about as far removed from that album as is humanly possible. Much more in the vein of LITT, but has parts more melodic and more kick arse in equal measures.

Am i the only one that is completely burnt out on JSS and cant even be bothered to listen to samples of this?

then you sure are going to miss one of the best this year mate :)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this album is already anticipated, the quality is pretty high, and JSS vocal is no doubt one of the best out there. The songs are very enjoyable, most of them are in the melodic rock territory, and some of my faves here are 'Look Inside Your Heart', 'Die A Little', 'If I Never Let Her Go', 'Tears That I Cry' (probably second best), 'Bonafide', and 'How To Love Again' which is arguably the best track here. The rest are great at 8/10 range and probably only the last track, 'Never Ending War', is a dud. Production also is pretty good here and I believe 85% is a good start for this.

backed. On pretty much all in fact. 'How To Love Again' is fantastic, as is 'Die A Little'. Also worthy of mention is the bonus track 'Elena' which sounds great (the other 2 bonus tracks sound like fillers).....if they had left off track 11 and replaced with Elena it would be pretty perfect to these ears...will probably pan out around 90%. I would recommend pre-ordering the std cd.

For the record I love 'Beautiful Mess'...a great and very varied album imo, and contains 2 of my favourite JSS- 'Your Song' and 'Gin & Tonic Sky'.

BUT.......Damage Control is about as far removed from that album as is humanly possible. Much more in the vein of LITT, but has parts more melodic and more kick arse in equal measures.

Am i the only one that is completely burnt out on JSS and cant even be bothered to listen to samples of this?

Dont they say that every time JSS releases an album? :lol:

i don't know some people but i know it's not me :D

Wowser, did you hear his 'Lost in translation' disc? That was a monster.

I think he's one of the top talents in our genre, and I buy everything he's on pretty much blind. I'm not a fan of the soul/funk stuff he sometimes does, but albums like "Prism" and "LITT" are awesome IMO. If the new one is back in the MR direction then it'll be at the top of my list...

Trixie - lift you up

This is their second release ive heard and i wasnt overly impressed by the other (which i believe is the album after this). despite this being described as crue meets def lep.... I cant hear it at all. Some fairly weak lead vocals... I guess sound a bit Vince-like...but definately cant hear the def lep backing vocals. thats ok... But the biggest problem is lack of songs. Its solid straight rock...... But nothing memorable.

I think he's one of the top talents in our genre, and I buy everything he's on pretty much blind. I'm not a fan of the soul/funk stuff he sometimes does, but albums like "Prism" and "LITT" are awesome IMO. If the new one is back in the MR direction then it'll be at the top of my list...

yes it's pure MR so you should go rush out and buy it asap

it is and it should be.

DEAR SUPERSTAR - Damned Religion (2012)

A good modern hard rock band from UK, this is my first experience with the band and there are some great tracks here such as 'Our City Sleeps', 'Anthem To My Life' and couple of other good tracks like 'Last Rites', 'Sirens', 'Tomorrow', and 'Glitter Just Like Gold'. Fillers here are 'Change Yesterday', 'Turn To Dust', and 'Crystalized'. The production is quite average. 70%

DYNAZTY - Sultans of Sin (2012)

wow, there are some really heavy moments here. Judging by the main tracks, as I've mentioned before, this is better than KYD, but all in all, still a stiff competition there unless SoS have some killer bonus tracks which I haven't heard. 'Come Alive' kicks up high, very heavy metal with killer solo; 'Raise Your Hands' is anthemic and awesome but 'Land of Broken Dreams' is the best track here I guess, along with the ballad 'Back Again', oh how I love that track.

'Falling' is a very nice midtempo ballad; 'Love Junkie' is top notch on the riffs part and melodic chorus; 'Bastards of Rock N Roll' started with a powerful chant, superb chorus, and check out the guitar duel. Probably two tracks that I'm not very sure are 'More Than A Man' and 'Sultans of Sin', but other than that, it's awesome. I'm a fan and it's a solid 90%!

U.F.O - Seven Deadly (2012)

Maybe I'm not too familiar with their back catalogue, I'm not sure whether this style is like the old style or not, but I like some classic rock and from my point of view from a casual fan, this is a decent album, couple of good tracks like 'Wonderland', 'Year of The Gun', 'Burn Your House Down', and 'Waving Goodbye', but the rest are pretty average with some weak fillers like 'Steal Yourself', 'The Fear', and 'The Last Stone Rider'. Couple of bonus tracks also don't help much. It's between 65-70% but I'm afraid I'll go with the first eventually.

GEORGE GAKIS - Too Much Ain't Ever Enough (2012)

a Greek hard rock guitarist and singer with many guests including JLT, Bobby Rondinelli, and James Kottak. Sounds like a famous figure in Greece, fronting the band, 'The Troublemakers' in the 90s. His vocal is like a poor man's Coverdale and the guitar parts in many songs here are killer. Definitely a competent player! Songs that I like here are 'Street of Broken Dreams', 'Under My Skin', 'It Ain't Over Till It's Over', and also some other tunes like 'Days of Rock N Roll', 'License For Love', and 'When Opposites Attract'. The weakest tracks are 'Fame', 'Rebelious Son', and the last track. 70%

OSUKARU - Salvation (2012)

A good AOR with several great tracks from pre-released EPs such as 'Never Too Late', 'Change of Heart', 'City Lights', and 'T.M.Y.S'. The new songs are also pretty nice such as 'Highway To The Stars', 'Promised Land', and the cover of ALIEN, 'Tears Don't Put Out The Fire'. The production is good, and overall, not a ground-breaking album, but safe to have. 75-80%

PRIMAL ROCK REBELLION - Awoken Broken (2012)

Sad news is that this could be among the most disappointed album and possibly among the weakest heavy metal release. A project of Adrian Smith (IRON MAIDEN) which not very melodic and more metalcore and modern to my ears. Too many wasted tracks I guess, the only thing I dug here are 'No Place Like Home', a nice song with melodic chorus and perfect solos; 'Tortured Tone', with a hunting intro like Maiden's track; and the title track, which is not bad. The rest are passable and I was kinda turned off with the vocal style. 50%

ROMEO'S DAUGHTER - Rapture (2012)

Very nice AOR record here. Smooth, tender, and a typical sound that you'll get from RD. The starting track has patchy verse but the great chorus healed it. 'Bittersweet' and 'Cannot Be The One' are instant faves. 'Lightning' is a neat slow ballad, 'Alive' is energetic with sweeping chorus; 'Fly Away' and 'Will Be', again are another great ballads. 'Talking Love', is clearly the winner here, the best track for sure. The production is quite good, and I guess it deserved a solid 80%

SCARLET HAZE - One Bad Bitch (2012)

Quoted as another contender to HALESTORM, I do spot a little similarity, but probably because they're also playing a modernized hard rock style with female vocal. 'Blame It On You' is a great start, the dark chugging riffs with great verse/chorus is a good way to open the album. 'Can't Get Enuff' is even better. 'One Bad Bitch' and 'Sorry' are awesome as well. Two possible fillers to avoid here are 'There's The Door' and 'It's You'. Overall, I like it, 80% for now and who knows could climb higher.

VENGEANCE - Crystal Eye (2012)

A combo of hard rock, with a bit of heavy metal, but I think they stayed mostly still in the rock territory. Spread evenly between 7/10 to 8.5/10 type of album. Best track here is 'Whole Lotta Metal', a fast paced track, packed with ultimately tense riffs and also some heavy screaming. 'Me And You', 'Shock Me Now', 'Desperate Woman', and the ballad 'Promise Me' are also among the upper songs. The production is great, that's another plus. In the end, it could be stucked around 75%.

OSUKARU - Salvation (2012)

A good AOR with several great tracks from pre-released EPs such as 'Never Too Late', 'Change of Heart', 'City Lights', and 'T.M.Y.S'. The new songs are also pretty nice such as 'Highway To The Stars', 'Promised Land', and the cover of ALIEN, 'Tears Don't Put Out The Fire'. The production is good, and overall, not a ground-breaking album, but safe to have. 75-80%

After a first listening session I think this is quite a good disc. I give it a 80 - 85% and it is definitely worth having.

SOULFLY - Enslaved

More great modern metal from Max. Most of the experimental stuff is completely gone, and it's much heavier and more straight-ahead than the weak "Omen" (though not as great as "Conquer" IMO). Cool stuff.

Peep Show - 'Brand new breed' ; well colour me seriously impressed by this. As a fan of 'Out for blood' I would just never have imagined this was possible. 'Out for blood' is a 10 track in your face slab of solid and impressive, but pretty typical sleaze hard rock. A little rough and raw around the edges, but a good CD. The new CD (with only the vocalist and guitarist from 'Out for blood' and three new band members) is a whole, brand new beast from the get-go. The self produced CD sounds out of this world - I'm talking pricey modern rock producer quality. Well done to the guys on the killer sound. And thankfully the songs are worthy of this production too. Heaps heavier than 'Out for blood,' I describe this as a mix of Crashdiet and Kill Hannah. There are those modern elements, but for the most part it's just really great hard rock, with, no doubt, a few ideas borrowed from Crashdiet. Each song completely stands on it's own and I'd really challenge someone to pick a weak link or filler of any type. The balladic 'Irreversable' which turns into a mid tempo rocker with a killer "solo" (more a musical passage rather than guitar solo) is stunning. Favourite song of 2012 so far for me. The CD is not as instantly catchy as Crashdiet, but I think once these songs really sink in it will be a true winner. Great riffs, heavy album, great songs. Like I said in another thread, my only TINY thing is that there is a little overuse of "whoah"s throughout the CD. Usually a big fan, but towards the end I think there's some version on each of the last 6 or 7 songs. :lol: Really not an issue in reality as it's a great CD. Huge thumbs up.

Fox - '2012' ; funny how this is essentially a solo album for this ex-vocalist of Shakra, because essentially, he has a TERRIBLE voice. But let's just ignore that and say that Shakra fans will enjoy this. I think it's a solid CD, but I will go out there and say the best track is a pretty cool version of Midnight Oil's 'Beds are burning.' Kind of creepy, but it works pretty damn well.

You Me At Six - 'Sinners never sleep' ; so after totally missing this release I did track it down and give it a few spins. I think I'd maybe call it their weakest CD yet, after I really quite liked the last one. It's a solid CD from a solid band, but it's missing the killer tracks the last CD had. Solid modern rock... but not super. I do really like 'No one does it better.'

Fireflight - 'Now' ; really good modern rock band with a series of very good CDs, and this is no exception. If you like female fronted hard rock you'd be foolish to overlook these guys. Christian themes are pretty light on, which is always positive and this just gets down to the business of being a very good CD. Can't fault it at all. Well done again; very good band.

Kutless - 'Believer' ; okay, credit to the christian freaks where it's due. I never bothered with any of these guys' previous CDs because they pretty much sung songs with Jesus' schlong choking the dude's throat, but this is a good CD. Die-hard fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken they're a little less in your face with their christianity this time around, and instead it's just a good modern melodic rock CD - really nice at times. Yeah, I do like this album. Good one.

Freshman 15 - 'Here's to feeling good' ; I would never in a million years recommend this to anyone on this entire forum, but for me it's not bad. Pretty typical pop punk like someone like Fenix TX or an even pop punkier version of early Simple Plan. I must admit I do like several songs on this and it's really not bad at all. 'Harder than mine' is a very nice typical pop punk mid tempo ballad.

Dynazty - 'Sultans of sin' ; just echoing what I said in other threads. It's a very good CD with a few killer tracks which would sit well with the likes of melodic rockers like HEAT. And I do think they sound great on the more melodic / commercial numbers, but they don't seem to put the same effort into the hard rockers. If they applied the same "rules" to those songs so that there was a great hook on all tracks across the whole album they'd really be onto something. As it is, though, it's still a pretty damn fine CD.

Dear Superstar - 'Damned religion' ; thanks a heap to Nightrain for pointing this one out to me. I really liked their debut a few years back and this one is even better. Good solid hard rock with a modern scent. Love songs like 'Our city sleeps' and 'Anthem to my life' which are killers. Only downside is a pretty average production job which really doesn't suit the album. It's a heavy rock CD but the weak production really steals that aspect from the end sound. Very good album, though. Almost like a poorly produced recent Papa Roach.

Kutless - 'Believer' ; okay, credit to the christian freaks where it's due. I never bothered with any of these guys' previous CDs because they pretty much sung songs with Jesus' schlong choking the dude's throat, but this is a good CD. Die-hard fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken they're a little less in your face with their christianity this time around, and instead it's just a good modern melodic rock CD - really nice at times. Yeah, I do like this album. Good one.

One of the worst set of lyrics on the album, but how good is this actual tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOi4YyuCEfY

Kutless - 'Believer' ; okay, credit to the christian freaks where it's due. I never bothered with any of these guys' previous CDs because they pretty much sung songs with Jesus' schlong choking the dude's throat, but this is a good CD. Diehard fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken they're a little less in your face with their Christianity this time around, and instead it's just a good modern melodic rock CD - really nice at times. Yeah, I do like this album.

I've loved--or at least liked--everything Kutless has ever released, but I will be the first to admit this is one of their weaker efforts. I still like it, but they are devolving from a Christian hard rock band into one of those contemporary Christian "worship rock" bands. Yeah, I know they tossed a few obligatory rockin' tracks on this newie, but in the end it's a pretty safe CD not all that far removed from the likes of Jeremy Camp or Casting Crowns. I find it hard to believe that out of all their albums, this is the one you have gloamed on to. I also don't think the Christian message is any more subdued than their previous albums. So they don't rock as hard as they used to and they're just as blatantly Christian, yet you like this album the best?? Color me confused. Happy that you're actually listening to a Kutless album, but befuddled that this is the album you chose.

Kutless - 'Believer' ; okay, credit to the christian freaks where it's due. I never bothered with any of these guys' previous CDs because they pretty much sung songs with Jesus' schlong choking the dude's throat, but this is a good CD. Diehard fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken they're a little less in your face with their Christianity this time around, and instead it's just a good modern melodic rock CD - really nice at times. Yeah, I do like this album.

I've loved--or at least liked--everything Kutless has ever released, but I will be the first to admit this is one of their weaker efforts. I still like it, but they are devolving from a Christian hard rock band into one of those contemporary Christian "worship rock" bands. Yeah, I know they tossed a few obligatory rockin' tracks on this newie, but in the end it's a pretty safe CD not all that far removed from the likes of Jeremy Camp or Casting Crowns. I find it hard to believe that out of all their albums, this is the one you have gloamed on to. I also don't think the Christian message is any more subdued than their previous albums. So they don't rock as hard as they used to and they're just as blatantly Christian, yet you like this album the best?? Color me confused. Happy that you're actually listening to a Kutless album, but befuddled that this is the album you chose.

Well done Mark.... you just turned me off wanting to hear this... though i shouldve known that after the last album... which i still cant remember much of.

I'm really no expert on these guys, and I'd be lying if I said I was an expert on any of their other CDs, but I have given them a go and for whatever reason this was the only one that made me want to bother delving deeper. I dunno, maybe I need to look back at their discography?

And yeah, maybe I was a little quick off the mark with the 'less christian lyrics' comment. Spinning it back the other night, it is actually pretty unbearable lyrically - and certainly not as subtle as I thought on (un-attentive?) first spin. BUT, I still stand by my comments about the quality of songs. I do think it is a very good album musically and song wise.

So which previous album do you think is their best? I swear I heard their first 2 in full and then some disgraceful worship disc a year or two ago. I really feel as though this is the first one worthy of listening to... but please correct me.

You Me At Six - 'Sinners never sleep' ; so after totally missing this release I did track it down and give it a few spins. I think I'd maybe call it their weakest CD yet, after I really quite liked the last one. It's a solid CD from a solid band, but it's missing the killer tracks the last CD had. Solid modern rock... but not super. I do really like 'No one does it better.'

Yeah I'm not excited by that one either. Even "No One Does It Better" is a little short of a great hook, and it's the best song. First single "Loverboy" was shite. A few nice heavier moments but otherwise not worth bothering with.

ANATHEMA - Weather Control (2012)

This continues the last album which wanders around atmospheric brit rock style, a little prog touch, but they reduce the prog even further here, leaving the album with a linear poppish approach. Not much distortion, many soft songs and also strings implementation. I like the last one better but this one is a good album. The first two songs are awesome, 'Untouchable Part 1' and 'Part 2'. 'Lightning Song' is slow and calming with female vocal, 'Sunlight' is a great song. The last song, 'Internal Landscapes' is also nice, but kinda too long. 75%

BANGALORE CHOIR - Metaphor (2012)

Even though this could be the worst of the three albums, but then this is still quite a great album itself. The strength is pretty balance with the upper songs here are 'Trojan Horse', 'Silhouttes On The Shade', 'Don't Act Surprised', Civilized Evil', and 'Always Be My Angel', while songs like 'All The Damage Done', 'Metaphor', or 'Catch An Angel Fallin' are quite good / slightly above average. 'Never Fave Ole Joe Alone' is a unique wild west flavored song with dobro and harmonica. 'Scandinavian Rose' is a nice simple ballad. The production is great and overall I think 80% is reasonable for this one.

BULLET TRAIN BLAST - Nothing Remains (2012)

I think this one is a good, nothing-special, kind of hard rock band. They did the job pretty well, throw in a bit of modern element, but perhaps half of this album are too average. Highlights are 'Queen of The Night', 'All The Girls', and 'Bang Bang Bang'. The production is also great. All in all, deserved around 70%

DONNIE VIE - Wrapped Around My Middle Finger (2012)

I always had a thing for ENUFF ZNUFF, Donnie's vocal might not be the best out there, but he has a unique timbre, and this album is a safe approach by him, not ground-breaking, but quite enjoyable to this ears. I heard the necessary EZN vibe, but it's done in Donnie's own style. Few outstanding songs for me here are 'Daddy's Girl', 'Now Ya Know', 'No Escape', 'Flames of Love', and 'Rattle On', but there are several duds like 'Lisa', 'Lil Wonder', or 'I Won't Let You Down'. I'm not rushing out to buy this, but if the price is right, I think this one is a nice acquisition. 75%

HUMAN TEMPLE - Halfway To Heartache (2012)

Not much different than the old albums, a typical melodic hard rock with heavy metal feel. Quite similar to BANGALORE CHOIR in terms of strength, most songs are in the 7/10 and 8.5/10 range. I like 'I Will Follow', 'Like A Beat of A Heart', 'Almost There', 'Little Lies', and 'Misery'. The production is great, but I think the singer is too average here. However, the guitar parts are awesome. This will fall between 75% and 80%, but could be ended up the former.

NITROGODS - s/t (2012)

An average hard rock band with poor vocal handling. I dislike the style but I must admit there are handful of good tracks here such as 'Demolition Inc', 'License To Play Loud', and 'Lipsynch Stars'. 'Gasoline' and 'Rifle Down' are good as well, but too many worthless tracks around. 'Whiskey Wonderland' and 'The Devil Dealt The Deck' are the worst, followed by 'At Least I'm Drunk' and 'Zombietrain'. 60%-65%

Summerlin - 'Motives' ; heard an obscure EP from these guys a few years which blew my head off. This new (already obscure?) mini album pretty much does the same. It's modern rock and it's not done in a particularly original manner, but it is done in a particularly impressive manner. Like Hit The Lights, they sound like a billion dollars and there are a handful of songs which are absolutely killer too. I have no idea who these guys are and I believe they are strictly a product of the digital age, but I love 'em!

Hollywood Burnouts - 'Excess all areas' ; if you're going to record a sleaze hard rock disc as painfully average as this these days, I just don't see the point. But they still did it anyway. Boring, harmless but super bland disc. Just do yourself a favour and ignore it.

Before Their Eyes - 'Redemption' ; I wonder if the title refers to them trying to make a heavier disc after their very pop/hook orientated 2nd disc? Not sure, as they still have a lot of pretty commercial choruses here. It's a huge step back from the killer last CD - because I think they have tried to be "tougher" - but it's still a pretty good album. 'Alive' is one of the best songs of 2012 too.

Lostprophets - 'Weapons' ; well what do you know, these guys finally got some balls. After a streak of immaculately produced weak sounding discs, this one actually has a bit of punch to it. It's easily the best they've sounded to date and the CD is a lot better than the last heap of shit, but it's still not great. I love their new sound and 'You and me' is a killer track, but overall I'm not sold at all.

I'm really no expert on these guys, and I'd be lying if I said I was an expert on any of their other CDs, but I have given them a go and for whatever reason this was the only one that made me want to bother delving deeper. I dunno, maybe I need to look back at their discography?

And yeah, maybe I was a little quick off the mark with the 'less christian lyrics' comment. Spinning it back the other night, it is actually pretty unbearable lyrically - and certainly not as subtle as I thought on (un-attentive?) first spin. BUT, I still stand by my comments about the quality of songs. I do think it is a very good album musically and song wise.

So which previous album do you think is their best? I swear I heard their first 2 in full and then some disgraceful worship disc a year or two ago. I really feel as though this is the first one worthy of listening to... but please correct me.

I still rate their sophomore album, "Sea of Faces," as their penultimate work, but "Hearts of the Innocent" comes in a close second, with "To Know That You're Alive" pulling up in 3rd place. After that, the band, while always retaining a rock edge, started delving deeper into the CCM sound, probably because their rock-worship albums and ballads were garnering them hit status on CCM radio. And for what it's worth, they are several notches better than most of the bands plaguing the CCM market, and I do still enjoy their music...I just don't enjoy it as much as I did when they were a hard rock band.

Revisit the 3 I mentioned, avoid "Strong Tower" and "It is Well" (both are simply rock versions of old hymns), and then report back to me that you have come to your senses and no longer think "Believer" is the band's best work.

Romeo's Daughter - Rapture

A great band back in the day that was not given anywhere near the exposure they deserved, compared to some of the rubbish that was being knocked out. A great debut album, solid follow up in 'Delectable' and now this their first album in 18 years 'Rapture'. First things noticeable is that they can still knock out a great song, of which there are many on this album, check out 'Trippin' Out', 'Cannot Be The One', 'Lightning', 'Fly Away & the superb pop rocker 'Alive' (probably the albums finest moment). Leigh Matty's still got a great, soulful voice and is definitely still up there with the best of the Rock chicks. Couple that with a nice tight production & top class musicianship, a damned fine album.

SHINEDOWN - Amaryllis

This is a bit special. After the powerful intro song ("Adrenaline") it settles down into repeated melodic modern rockers, with more hooks than last time around. In fact it's strangely subdued in parts compared to the last disc, a few acoustic numbers (the title track, "I'm Not Alright", and "Through the Ghost") and at least 3 power ballads ("I'll Follow You", "Unity" and "Miracle") make this a much less intense/heavy disc. Even the heavier numbers are melodic, "For My Sake" is a lush anthem, and "Bully" and "My Name" are ultra-catchy modern rock tunes. The production is thick and crystal-clear, this thing sounds a million-bucks, and it's frankly a stunning disc. It slaughters the last Nickelback and is probably going to be my fave disc of 2012 so far...

SHINEDOWN - Amaryllis

This is a bit special. After the powerful intro song ("Adrenaline") it settles down into repeated melodic modern rockers, with more hooks than last time around. In fact it's strangely subdued in parts compared to the last disc, a few acoustic numbers (the title track, "I'm Not Alright", and "Through the Ghost") and at least 3 power ballads ("I'll Follow You", "Unity" and "Miracle") make this a much less intense/heavy disc. Even the heavier numbers are melodic, "For My Sake" is a lush anthem, and "Bully" and "My Name" are ultra-catchy modern rock tunes. The production is thick and crystal-clear, this thing sounds a million-bucks, and it's frankly a stunning disc. It slaughters the last Nickelback and is probably going to be my fave disc of 2012 so far...

This should be arriving through my letter box in the next few days. Loved the last album, so really looking forward to this one.

SHINEDOWN - Amaryllis

This should be arriving through my letter box in the next few days. Loved the last album, so really looking forward to this one.

I think you'll love it mate. "Unity" is a monster track, better than "Second Chance" and the other good melodic tunes on the last disc, and there's barely a filler. I was slightly disappointed by the JSS and H.E.A.T discs (both are great, but perhaps I was expecting too much) and this is better IMHO.