First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Wow, two very surprising review of Sunstorm there. I personally love that mofo and think the Bolton songs are awesome. Oh well, party.

Million - 'Sane and insanity' ; speaking of pedestrian, this is it. I guess it's what you'd expect from the band by now, though. Solid hard rock but not really a single track that made me actually take any notice of this CD as it played. :(

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunstorm - Emotional Fire

and the title-track and "You Wouldn't No Love" are weak IMO.

Surely you mean the Sunstorm versions are weak?

The originals are genre classics IMO.

Esp 'You Wouldnt Know Love'

FROZEN RAIN - Ahead of Time (2012)

i loved their debut and this excites me as I'm expecting a better album only to be left out disappointed. The first track is a filler, the second one is good, but things get better on the third. 'Breaking Out', 'We're Gonna Rock', 'Too Late', 'The Last Dance Ain't Over', and 'Not At Home' are 8/10 materials, the rest are spread between 7 and 7.5. The production isn't really great and the debut is definitely better. 75%

I do have to agree to the production issue, unfortunately. Which is actually surprising as it's an "Avenue of Allies" release and those usually sound great. But I only heard a download version so far, so I hope the real deal will be better. Did you listen to the CD itself ?

Sunstorm - Emotional Fire

and the title-track and "You Wouldn't No Love" are weak IMO.

Surely you mean the Sunstorm versions are weak?

The originals are genre classics IMO.

Esp 'You Wouldnt Know Love'

Of course. These versions don't have any spark (despite the fact they're great songs), and the production doesn't help...

i loved their debut and this excites me as I'm expecting a better album only to be left out disappointed. The first track is a filler, the second one is good, but things get better on the third. 'Breaking Out', 'We're Gonna Rock', 'Too Late', 'The Last Dance Ain't Over', and 'Not At Home' are 8/10 materials, the rest are spread between 7 and 7.5. The production isn't really great and the debut is definitely better. 75%

I do have to agree to the production issue, unfortunately. Which is actually surprising as it's an "Avenue of Allies" release and those usually sound great. But I only heard a download version so far, so I hope the real deal will be better. Did you listen to the CD itself ?

It's the digital version but I believe it's ripped from the promo CD because the album isn't officially out yet as far as I know so the sound should at least 95% identical unless it's a lower bitrate or someone transcode it from the original lower bitrate to higher bitrate to make it appear like cd rip.

I don't really mind the production if the songs are better than the debut, but I didn't find that here. What do you think of the new album anyway ? How do you rate it Bernd ?

Wow, two very surprising review of Sunstorm there. I personally love that mofo and think the Bolton songs are awesome. Oh well, party.

Million - 'Sane and insanity' ; speaking of pedestrian, this is it. I guess it's what you'd expect from the band by now, though. Solid hard rock but not really a single track that made me actually take any notice of this CD as it played. :(

Yeah love that new Sunstorm, still holdin' up high for me there but then I'm not very familiar with the original version of those Bolton tracks, to be honest, so I think the rendition are pretty damn fine to these ears. I personally think the debut is the weakest at around 80%, while the new one is quite on par with the second at around 90%.

and also second that Million disc review, a 70% type of hard rock disc, could have been better with 3-4 more catchier tunes I guess

It's the digital version but I believe it's ripped from the promo CD because the album isn't officially out yet as far as I know so the sound should at least 95% identical unless it's a lower bitrate or someone transcode it from the original lower bitrate to higher bitrate to make it appear like cd rip.

I don't really mind the production if the songs are better than the debut, but I didn't find that here. What do you think of the new album anyway ? How do you rate it Bernd ?

Well, the debut was an immediate winner for me. The songs were catchy and caught my attention from the first listen. The new one might be a grower, but it's difficult to tell as the sound is kind of "blurry". I can hardly hear/understand "Lizard" Schulz. I will buy it eventually, but not in a hurry.

Yeah love that new Sunstorm, still holdin' up high for me there but then I'm not very familiar with the original version of those Bolton tracks, to be honest, so I think the rendition are pretty damn fine to these ears.

For God sake, why has no-one heard the Bolton version?? Very surprising since it is such a CLASSIC song. Well here you go...........turn it up loud guys........everything is better, the vocals (esp the outro where Bolton murders JLT), keys, also the production, even though this you tube clip is a bit rough, the actual album sounds a million bucks. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUnwGj8AMmo&feature=related

Yeah love that new Sunstorm, still holdin' up high for me there but then I'm not very familiar with the original version of those Bolton tracks, to be honest, so I think the rendition are pretty damn fine to these ears.

For God sake, why has no-one heard the Bolton version?? Very surprising since it is such a CLASSIC song.

Alot of people haven't because they associate him as being a 'Housewives Choice' singing soft ballads and forget that the guy had (and still has) one hell of a voice and actually used to rock.

As witnessed here, The biggest ever case of one vocalist murdering another one. Move aside JLT

For God sake, why has no-one heard the Bolton version?? Very surprising since it is such a CLASSIC song. Well here you go...........turn it up loud guys........everything is better, the vocals (esp the outro where Bolton murders JLT), keys, also the production, even though this you tube clip is a bit rough, the actual album sounds a million bucks. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUnwGj8AMmo&feature=related

This has always been one of my favourite Bolton songs and I really the Cher version too :tumbsup:

For God sake, why has no-one heard the Bolton version?? Very surprising since it is such a CLASSIC song.

Alot of people haven't because they associate him as being a 'Housewives Choice' singing soft ballads and forget that the guy had (and still has) one hell of a voice and actually used to rock.

As witnessed here, The biggest ever case of one vocalist murdering another one. Move aside JLT

Yes, but don't forget the time difference!What was this?, 25 years ago when MB sang it. I would'nt say the biggest case EVER! I like all 3 versions of this song.

Wow, two very surprising review of Sunstorm there. I personally love that mofo and think the Bolton songs are awesome.

As witnessed here, The biggest ever case of one vocalist murdering another one. Move aside JLT.

Sorry, I would have responded sooner, but I was too busy rolling on the floor with laughter at the thought of anyone believing Bolton is a better vocalist than Turner. And as far as I'm concerned, JLT/Sunstorm's version of "You Wouldn't Know Love" is the one doing the murdering, leaving Bolton's version a bleeding mess on the floor.

Wow, two very surprising review of Sunstorm there. I personally love that mofo and think the Bolton songs are awesome.

As witnessed here, The biggest ever case of one vocalist murdering another one. Move aside JLT.

Sorry, I would have responded sooner, but I was too busy rolling on the floor with laughter at the thought of anyone believing Bolton is a better vocalist than Turner. And as far as I'm concerned, JLT/Sunstorm's version of "You Wouldn't Know Love" is the one doing the murdering, leaving Bolton's version a bleeding mess on the floor.

I don't think Bolton was a better vocalist, but I don't think the Sunstorm version comes anywhere close to the originals. There is just no spark in them at all, nothing. And the muddy mix doesn't help. It's all so workmanlike, including the vocals. Very weak versions of great songs IMO.

I think both versions are quite different and both are great in their own way. Bolton is a nice singer, I love his raspy style, and JLT here sounds more manly, heavier in some way, all in all, a great song and both sang very well, I don't see it being weak at all, but if I need to pick which one, I'll go with JLT.

I'll put it out there that after listening to the 3 versions I dare say that Cher probably seems to have the most lyrical connection to the song. However, I think I like the Sunstorm version best overall (though I do like the keys in the Bolton version).

I do also have to say, that although I also like Bolton's voice, I also prefer JLT vocally.

I don't think Bolton was a better vocalist, but I don't think the Sunstorm version comes anywhere close to the originals. There is just no spark in them at all, nothing. And the muddy mix doesn't help. It's all so workmanlike, including the vocals. Very weak versions of great songs IMO.

JLT sounds like he's going through the motions in the chorus...I agree with Tim that although the Sunstorm version sounds more ballsy (as you would expect 20 odd years on) it does lack spark. The end of the song is especially lifeless. Just my opinion.

CRIMES OF PASSION - To Die For (2012)

an average melodic metal band with a slight modern feel, also a cross with hard rock and the production is quite poor. Best track here is 'Body and Soul', and some other good tunes are 'Blown Away', a radio friendly/commercial track; 'Love Is To Die For', a good ballad; 'Dream Again' and 'I Think I Can Save You' aren't too bad, but the rest are mediocre. 65%

JEFF SCOTT SOTO - Damage Control (2012)

I guess this album is already anticipated, the quality is pretty high, and JSS vocal is no doubt one of the best out there. The songs are very enjoyable, most of them are in the melodic rock territory, and some of my faves here are 'Look Inside Your Heart', 'Die A Little', 'If I Never Let Her Go', 'Tears That I Cry' (probably second best), 'Bonafide', and 'How To Love Again' which is arguably the best track here. The rest are great at 8/10 range and probably only the last track, 'Never Ending War', is a dud. Production also is pretty good here and I believe 85% is a good start for this.

MICHAEL THOMPSON BAND - Future Past (2012)

a nice AOR even though didn't impress much at all because half of this are good 7/10 material while the better one are 'High Times', the acoustical ballad of 'When You Love Someone' and 'Break Me Down', the uptempo 'Here I Am', and 'Beautiful Mystery'. Harmless AOR with great production, although I'm quite sure this will stuck at 75% to the end.

PEEPSHOW - Brand New Breed (2012)

I'm quite shocked at how good this is. At first, I thought this is a decent sleaze/punk type of band, well I missed their debut, but then this is actually more of a CRASHDIET meets VAIN kind of band. They also add some keyboard element to add the futuristic thing in some songs, but mostly, the riffs are nice and heavy, and Johnny Gunn's vocal is great. My fave tracks here are the first single, 'Let Go', what a nice intro there!, 'Only A Dream' with a haunting vocal, 'All or Nothing', 'Feed On Me' (could be the best!), 'Suffer', 'Romance Is Dead', and two glam metal tunes, 'Brand New Breed' and 'Waking The Dead'.

I guess this is worth the 85% and I'm interested to dig more to see if it can climb to 90%. I'm not sure what's the affiliation between Gunn and CRASHDIET but there's a Youtube video of 'Chemical' demo with Gunn on vocal, and he's one of the writer, so no wonder the close relation of their sound.

SONIC STATION - s/t (2012)

I'm a fan of westcoast, but after the magnificent two opening tracks, 'Love's Gonna Show The Way' and 'I Wish I Could Lie', it seems the mood was slowly dripping down as the songs are too slow and sappy, very poppish, probably even lighter than WILLIAMS/FRIESTEDT or STATE COWS material. 'Hold On To Me' is a great ballad though, 'Running Through The Night' isn't bad too and 'Reasons' made a great closer. 75% and could buy one if the price is cheap on MBM or AOR Heaven later.

WOLFSBANE - Wolfsbane Save The World (2012)

Pretty dull with only a few of great tracks here. 'Blue Sky' is one, 'Smoke And Red Light' and 'Live Before I Die' i guess came up second. 'Teacher', the ballad 'Starlight', and 'Did It For The Money' are quite okay, but the rest are very average. Not a really applauding effort by Bayley's gang, but not bad by any means, so should be around 65% or 70% top though I doubt it.

I guess this album is already anticipated, the quality is pretty high, and JSS vocal is no doubt one of the best out there. The songs are very enjoyable, most of them are in the melodic rock territory, and some of my faves here are 'Look Inside Your Heart', 'Die A Little', 'If I Never Let Her Go', 'Tears That I Cry' (probably second best), 'Bonafide', and 'How To Love Again' which is arguably the best track here. The rest are great at 8/10 range and probably only the last track, 'Never Ending War', is a dud. Production also is pretty good here and I believe 85% is a good start for this.

backed. On pretty much all in fact. 'How To Love Again' is fantastic, as is 'Die A Little'. Also worthy of mention is the bonus track 'Elena' which sounds great (the other 2 bonus tracks sound like fillers).....if they had left off track 11 and replaced with Elena it would be pretty perfect to these ears...will probably pan out around 90%. I would recommend pre-ordering the std cd.

backed. On pretty much all in fact. 'How To Love Again' is fantastic, as is 'Die A Little'. Also worthy of mention is the bonus track 'Elena' which sounds great (the other 2 bonus tracks sound like fillers).....if they had left off track 11 and replaced with Elena it would be pretty perfect to these ears...will probably pan out around 90%. I would recommend pre-ordering the std cd.

Is this anything like the last disc? I really didn't like that one...

In order of my favorite JSS projects, W.E.T., EYES s/t, & DAMAGE CONTROL.

The Ladder-Sacred....very impressed with the first spin thru this AOR release...it will be getting many more spins...

Excellent album

For the record I love 'Beautiful Mess'...a great and very varied album imo, and contains 2 of my favourite JSS- 'Your Song' and 'Gin & Tonic Sky'.

BUT.......Damage Control is about as far removed from that album as is humanly possible. Much more in the vein of LITT, but has parts more melodic and more kick arse in equal measures.

The Ladder-Sacred....very impressed with the first spin thru this AOR release...it will be getting many more spins...

Excellent album

Yep, surprisingly good CD and the only really decent thing Overland's been on since 'Aphrodesiac.'

For the record I love 'Beautiful Mess'...a great and very varied album imo, and contains 2 of my favourite JSS- 'Your Song' and 'Gin & Tonic Sky'.

BUT.......Damage Control is about as far removed from that album as is humanly possible. Much more in the vein of LITT, but has parts more melodic and more kick arse in equal measures.

Am i the only one that is completely burnt out on JSS and cant even be bothered to listen to samples of this?