Russell / Guns - Medusa

Stefan

9 hours ago, EnJayKay said:

Oh so I should buy the shit stuff to support the artist just because keyboard dwarf didn't write it?

Gotcha.

90% of it is project's that I don't support, written by the in-house team with hired names, 10% of it is written by the artist but is dogshit.

Either way, you're not convincing me to buy it.

So now it's ALL the outside writers, band members, and ADV that write shit??  

• My Little Pony
5 hours ago, CMGiordano said:

I love how every topic on an upcoming release inevitably spirals into how much we all hate ADV.  :lol:

Who, what??

We hate ADV?

On 11/20/2023 at 4:11 PM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Who, what??

We hate ADV?

I officially don't now, lol. But I'm serious too. 

Pile ons just irritate me. Next we'll be saying the blanket world reaction to covid was all good too. 

I was all on board with a few harmless snipes at ADV here and there, but blanket general opinions and commentary will always just annoy me. 

Not having a go at you, @EnJayKay, but the moral of this thread seemed to end up being that you just hate everything. ;)

I made the point that I think right now ADV is more well equipped to be writing songs for, or with... I don't mind with, Jack Russell and Tracii Guns. And you said you'd rather hear shit written by Guns/Russell, but then as the thread went on you hate all the shit the non-ADVs of the world write anyway and nothing was accomplished. 

I like to discuss what is before us, and in this case, if the above song is anything to go by, I don't mind ADV in this project. He may fuck something else up and I'll be there to call it what it is, but in my opinion, this particular case isn't a reason to pile on ADV. I think that song's as good as anyone could expect from these guys in 2023, personally. And maybe that's because of ADV? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I officially don't now, lol. But I'm serious too. 

Pile ons just irritate me. Next we'll be saying the blanket world reaction to covid was all good too. 

I was all on board with a few harmless snipes at ADV here and there, but blanket general opinions and commentary will always just annoy me. 

Not having a go at you, @EnJayKay, but the moral of this thread seemed to end up being that you just hate everything. ;)

I made the point that I think right now ADV is more well equipped to be writing songs for, or with... I don't mind with, Jack Russell and Tracii Guns. And you said you'd rather hear shit written by Guns/Russell, but then as the thread went on you hate all the shit the non-ADVs of the world write anyway and nothing was accomplished. 

I like to discuss what is before us, and in this case, if the above song is anything to go by, I don't mind ADV in this project. He may fuck something else up and I'll be there to call it what it is, but in my opinion, this particular case isn't a reason to pile on ADV. I think that song's as good as anyone could expect from these guys in 2023, personally. And maybe that's because of ADV? 

Yeah...  sure...  but for balance he's talentless and everything he does is pure shit 😜

Edited by EnJayKay
Spelling

On 11/19/2023 at 11:35 PM, CMGiordano said:

I love how every topic on an upcoming release inevitably spirals into how much we all hate ADV.  :lol:

Some of us really don't care. If it's a good song it's a good song. Who cares who is involved?

• Like 2

• 2023 Gold Donors

I'd be interested to see a run-down of 2023 frontiers albums. If you happened to have an ADV boycott what albums would you have missed out on? 

Considering the amount of output he's had over the years, I think his strike rate is pretty good.

I've never understood the hatred towards him. I think at some point it just became trendy.

In this argument, I'm definitely team ADV.

Edited by Darkstone

1 hour ago, Darkstone said:

I'd be interested to see a run-down of 2023 frontiers albums. If you happened to have an ADV boycott what albums would you have missed out on? 

Considering the amount of output he's had over the years, I think his strike rate is pretty good.

I've never understood the hatred towards him. I think at some point it just became trendy.

In this argument, I'm definitely team ADV.

Fair point. I do think ADV is overexposed and that always runs the risk of backlash. Also I think the majority of "hate" to ADV is just meme-like good fun / taking the piss. It is one of those arguments where everyone is right and everyone is also wrong. 

Me, I will keep buying Frontiers and I will also groan and take the piss when I see ADV is involved.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, been a few decades since I’ve heard Russell on something that “heavy.” Almost a lifetime ago. Not bad at all. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2023 at 12:11 AM, Captain Howdy said:

Some of us really don't care. If it's a good song it's a good song. Who cares who is involved?

Just reading this thread for the first time and stopped here.

I haven't heard the song yet,but I love GW with and without Jack, and even though jack is kind of incapacitated now, his voice seems more on point than most his age.

Always been take it or leave it with most LA Guns, with the exception of Never Enough/Ballad Of Jayne era stuff, and the killer Visvious Circle album.

But I'll go in to this new song with an open mind.

If it's good, it's good, don't care about the rest...

• Like 1

So I gave this a listen.
First listen overall pretty mid.
4th song was nice, and I got to the second last song before I got to work and wondered why that (possibly best) song was so far down the list.

Next few listens will give a better assessment.
Jask sounds kinda different for some reason.
Some songs he sounds the same, but he seems to have lost some of his voices individuality. Not a good or bad things, just a little different.

Yeah, 'Back Into Your Arms Again' is my favourite song on the album. 

I think it's a good album. All trivial nonsense aside, it's the best album I've heard Russel on since 'Can't Get There from Here' in 1999, and probably as far back as 'Vicious Circle' from Guns... though the first Brides of Destruction album was pretty cool. 

Either way, it's the best I've heard from these guys in a long while. Very well produced too. Jack sounds good, but yeah, definitely different. But not in a bad way. He sounds to me like someone who's lived a life. And definitely a lot better than many of his peers. 

As for Guns - do I actually really notice it's him most the time? Early listen says not really, but maybe that'd change with future listens. I kept thinking of Contraband as I listened to this, thinking that it's definitely not Guns' usual style and I'm kinda surprised he's actually playing on something this "commercial" / melodic. It's a curveball from both guys, to be completely fair, but like I said, not a bad thing. I don't think you could realistically expect a better album from the chaps. Very solid stuff. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This isn't a bad album after a few more listens.
One frustrating things is in "For You" when they sing that in the chorus and then double it up with a 'backing for you' which makes it sound like he's singing "for evil"
Living A Lie, Give Me The Night, Next In Live and Where I Belong are also pretty good.
I also don't 'hear' Tracy Guns, but is there really anything to hear with him.
I guess he has his own style and sound, but it mustn't be disctinct enough without the rest of the LA Guns sound.
The guitars are solid on this album though, and production is great.

• Like 1