Nitrate - Feel The Heat

Stefan

Had swap messages with Nick, bass, on Facebook about getting re - issue of " Open Wide ", he reply was "it is in the works."

4 hours ago, Doggy said:

Had swap messages with Nick, bass, on Facebook about getting re - issue of " Open Wide ", he reply was "it is in the works."

I have a copy of Open Wide. It wasn't easy to get! I have the Melodic Rock Records reissue of Real World which is great and a very decent price. So I hope they go there to also reissue Open Wide.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, CMGiordano said:

Great song!

But... is anyone else feeling like they're seeing Alexander Strandell everywhere these days?

Yes, Strandell is everywhere.  And I personally just don't like his vocals.  I don't know why exactly...Just too accented or something.  Once that sort of thing bothers you it's hard to unhear it.

Too bad as the music itself here is fantastic and Nick Hogg is clearly super talented and knows how to nail the 80's vibe.  And happy for him he got signed to Frontiers.

But for me, their first 2 albums were my favorites.

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

New video for 'Wild In The City'.

Saw this video on YouTube earlier due to it being recommended. Song is ok, albeit nothing special but the thing that stood out to me was just how awful that video is. The reliance on green screens is becoming overkill now.

Some bands still put out great videos without relying on green screen (Electric Callboy come to mind here) but the bands that do just end up looking cringe.

With a video like Turborider by Reckless Love the green screen works because of the whole 80s computer game and  synthwave aesthetic, but on videos like this ... nah. If bands like this are gonna do videos, they are better off going the About Us route with Right now. Budget wasn't massive, there was no green screen but the simple performance video with a few bells and whistles looks much better.

1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

Yes, Strandell is everywhere.  And I personally just don't like his vocals.  I don't know why exactly...Just too accented or something.  Once that sort of thing bothers you it's hard to unhear it.

Too bad as the music itself here is fantastic and Nick Hogg is clearly super talented and knows how to nail the 80's vibe.  And happy for him he got signed to Frontiers.

But for me, their first 2 albums were my favorites.

I don't like them either and it's for the same reason I grew tired of Toby Hitchcock's vocals. Everything is just so over-the-top, there's no variety in his singing, and after a while the vocal theatrics just get boring. The song is OK but there's nothing vocally that makes me want to listen to it again.

• Like 1

I just heard this.

I really like the music, but the voice kills it for me.

He's like Tony Mills, Tony Harnell, Rob Moratti but without any of the light and shade.  He's just singing very shrill at the top of his range, full force, the whole song.

It would have been cool to hear him sing in a lower register on the verses and then take it up a gear for the chorus.

Really good song for me

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CMGiordano said:

But... is anyone else feeling like they're seeing Alexander Strandell everywhere these days?

To be fair though he did sing on the last album...so keeping the same vocalist is a novelty for the band :) 

song wise I like the sound of it but hope for better on the album.

Edited by lettard

From Frontiers:

Inspired by the late 80's Melodic and Hard Rock scene with bands such as Def Leppard, Europe, Mötley Crüe, Bon Jovi and GNR, Nitrate is the brainchild of Nick Hogg, a Nottingham based musician who, after playing in a few bands in the early 2000's, decided to get into song writing. He was absent from the scene for several years until, in 2015 he decided to give it another shot. 

Nick worked on Nitrate’s debut album with the other songwriter / musician from Nottingham Rob Wylde with whom he shared the same musical influences. The two of them managed to put together the band’s debut album ”Real World” which also featured former Zinatra vocalist, Joss Mennen. Hailed by many fans and critics as a breath of fresh air for the melodic rock/AOR community, it sported a battery of arena-ready songs that took a listener back to a time when Def Leppard ruled the airwaves. The band’s momentum continued with 2019’s “Open Wide”, which featured the new guitarist and singer Philip Lindstrand and brought a harder-hitting, cutting edge to Nitrate. With a tighter songwriting, it rocked harder, and there were vast improvements in the production production department. “Open Wide” was a homage to Hogg’s influences: an amalgam of the best that MTV  could offer in the late 80’s.

Oddly, the quick evolution happened between the release of “Real World” and “Open Wide” was not touched by the line up changes that happened between the two records. Nick Hogg is the Nitrate mastermind and he assembled again a fine cast for the follow up album entitled “Renegade”. This time Alexander Strandell (Art Nation, Crowne) handled the vocal duties, with Dario Nikzad on lead guitars, brothers Tom and James Martin (ex-Vega) appeared on rhythm guitars and keyboards respectively with Mikey Wilson on drums. 

The new record “Feel The Heat” continues where “Renegade” left off, mixing all Hogg’s influences from AOR and Arena Rock from the 80’s such as BON JOVI, JOURNEY, BAD ENGLISH and DEF LEPPARD (“Pyromania”/“Histeria” era). Hogg teams up again with Tom and James Martin, who co-write almost the entire album together with Nick Hogg and Robert Hodson. Strandell is once again handling the vocals showing why he is one of the most in demand singers of the entire international scene.

A true belter of an album that sits firm among the elite of the genre!

Tracklist:

Feel The Heat

All The Right Moves

Wild In The City

Needs A Little Love

One Kiss (To Save My Heart) (Feat. Issa)

Live Fast, Die Young

Haven't Got Time For Heartache

Satellite

Strike Like A Hurricane

Big Time

Stay

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stefan said:

From Frontiers:

A true belter of an album that sits firm among the elite of the genre!

A bold claim that there is no way they could live up to :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Loving this...got it today and ok only 1 spin in but its excellent, I'd totally forgot that the Martin bros (Vega) were in this band now...its just a great summery melodic rock record...in October :drink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Martin Bros. have absolutely lifted this band to the next level in the songwriting dept. Really good stuff

• Like 1