Jump to content

Top-5 2018 (at the moment)


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

Sorry mate but I don't get the love for Coup De Grace.

For sure there are a few killer tracks like Paper Tiger, No Way Without You, We Own the Night.

BUT, then there's the standard rocker All In, the throwaway Roar, the insipid ballad, the weird Skies of Mongolia, and the 'cover' I'm Not Runnin ;) (yes Treat, we already knew the Stanfour song which was better imo)

So all in (pardon the pun) there are at least 4 or 5 tracks on Coup that I will skip every time.

Arguably there are less tracks on the new album which I skip. Currently only best of Enemies..............

For me Progenitors, Always Have, Creeps, Build The Love, Riptide and Undefeated are all as good as anything on Coup.

 

I think there were a couple I skip on 'CDG' too, but it's just the variety and balance of songs overall I love. Hard melodic rockers, AOR, mid-tempo, ballads and significant differences from song to song. A great complete album. 

The problem with the last two albums is that the tempo is more or less the same across the entire two albums, riffs sound the same, verses are identical, the tempo never changes... it's okay because it's all good. But I'll take a great album with variety any time. 

For the record, 'Skies of Mongolia' is awesome despite it's odd lyrical direction (what, who said 'Progenitors?'), 'I'm not runnin' is a great song regardless of who records it and the "insipid ballad" is fine by me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I think there were a couple I skip on 'CDG' too, but it's just the variety and balance of songs overall I love. Hard melodic rockers, AOR, mid-tempo, ballads and significant differences from song to song. A great complete album. 

The problem with the last two albums is that the tempo is more or less the same across the entire two albums, riffs sound the same, verses are identical, the tempo never changes... it's okay because it's all good. But I'll take a great album with variety any time. 

For the record, 'Skies of Mongolia' is awesome despite it's odd lyrical direction (what, who said 'Progenitors?'), 'I'm not runnin' is a great song regardless of who records it and the "insipid ballad" is fine by me.  

I'd go back and listen to Coup again if I were you.

I listened to it this morning and the pacing is identical throughout with the exception of the insipid ballad and We Own The Night which is sublime and borders on AOR.

There's no more variety than on the new album.

But to each their own.

I think we are losing my original point which is Tunguska is a fine album, great songs throughout, and a killer production.

Easy top 10 for me :)

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'd go back and listen to Coup again if I were you.

I listened to it this morning and the pacing is identical throughout with the exception of the insipid ballad and We Own The Night which is sublime and borders on AOR.

There's no more variety than on the new album.

But to each their own.

I think we are losing my original point which is Tunguska is a fine album, great songs throughout, and a killer production.

Easy top 10 for me :)

  

Love Tunguska and agree.....Better than Coup for me.

Not a single song on Tunguska I get the urge to skip past while there's 3-4 songs on Coup I skip.   And honestly, I'm not even sure what I'd say is my favorite song on Coup.  I'd probably say We Own The Night or Paper Tiger.  Don't get me wrong...I like Coup and it's a solid melodic rock album.  Just not much that overly stands out for me.  Part of my problem though might be that I was very late to the party on Coup and didn't go back to listen to it until after GOG had come out.  

There are probably 4-5 songs on Tuguska that I like better than my two favorite songs off Coup.

For me Tunguska is easily my favorite of the past 3 albums.  I'd rank them Tunguska, GOG, Coup.  All are basically 90+ albums for me though and a great collection of music.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Love Tunguska and agree.....Better than Coup for me.

My tastes differ from you guys on that comparison.  Tunguska is a good album and will probably make my top 10 for the year, but CDG has stronger songs, in my opinion.  If I want to listen to modern day Treat I will pick CDG over the last two.  I would even go so far to say that if I were making list of my favorites from the last 10 years CDG would easily make my top 10 while Tunguska likely wouldn't crack the top 50.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crazysam said:

My tastes differ from you guys on that comparison.  Tunguska is a good album and will probably make my top 10 for the year, but CDG has stronger songs, in my opinion.  If I want to listen to modern day Treat I will pick CDG over the last two.  I would even go so far to say that if I were making list of my favorites from the last 10 years CDG would easily make my top 10 while Tunguska likely wouldn't crack the top 50.

everyone and their dog loves Coup ;)

going back to the original question do you think Tunguska is 'miles' behind Station, Nitrate and Hearts on Fire?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Glen said:

going back to the original question do you think Tunguska is 'miles' behind Station, Nitrate and Hearts on Fire?? 

I am in agreement with you guys on that aspect. Tunguska ranks higher on my list than those other three,  which I found enjoyable as well.  Even when not at the top of their game, Treat is still at another level compared to most bands.  It would be hard for me to say their latest is 'miles' behind any album released this year.  

Edited by Crazysam
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Glen said:

Sorry mate but I don't get the love for Coup De Grace.

For sure there are a few killer tracks like Paper Tiger, No Way Without You, We Own the Night.

BUT, then there's the standard rocker All In, the throwaway Roar, the insipid ballad, the weird Skies of Mongolia, and the 'cover' I'm Not Runnin ;) (yes Treat, we already knew the Stanfour song which was better imo)

So all in (pardon the pun) there are at least 4 or 5 tracks on Coup that I will skip every time.

Arguably there are less tracks on the new album which I skip. Currently only best of Enemies..............

For me Progenitors, Always Have, Creeps, Build The Love, Riptide and Undefeated are all as good as anything on Coup.

 

Easy to decide for me, I just look at what made my best of folder....


The War Is Over
Paper Tiger
Roar
A Life To Die For
Tangled Up
No Way Without You


Progenitors
Always Have, Always Will
Rose Of Jericho
Heartmath City
Build The Love
Riptide
All Bets Are Off
Undefeated
Tomorrow Never Comes
 

6 songs to nine. Even if I'd grade some of the CDG songs individually higher if I had to rate the songs by how much I like them, Tunguska would still pip it at the post.
In the end they're both great albums.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Easy to decide for me, I just look at what made my best of folder....


The War Is Over
Paper Tiger
Roar
A Life To Die For
Tangled Up
No Way Without You

 

No 'We own the night' song!! Am surprised. That's the best one on CDG! And one of the best mid tempo melodic songs of all time in MR genre.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think CDG sounds exactly how it should according to their age at that point in time and GOG and TUNGUSKA sounds exactly how they should sound according to their present age :lol:.With time they have changed their musical direction. I don't think they will ever make a fun upbeat song like 'No way without you' anymore. All 3 are great but I prefer CDG.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, sorry dudes, just not a close contest for me. CDG is home to 'Paper Tiger,' 'A life to die for,' 'Tangled Up,' 'Skies of Mongolia,' 'No way without you,' 'We own the night' and 'All for love' - all are absolute killers to me, and sorry Glen, but there is an abundance in song type/tempo/style in that lot. 

However, on the other hand, 'Tunguska' has... uh, um... well, nothing, really. 'Build the love' is my favourite, but I'm not jesting myself that it's on par with any of those songs from 'CDG' - no way. The rest of 'Tunguska' is all nice 7.5/10 type of stuff (except 'Best of enemies' which I don't really like) but I'm not having a lend of you folk; just polar opposite albums to me. 

'GOG' is a fine album and imo far more enjoyable than 'Tungsuka' - I like them in order of release. 

Anyway, as for whether Nitrate, Hearts On Fire and Station will rate higher than Treat in 2018, for me? My word they will. Because they all at least have a few killer tunes (especially Station) which the Treat album is missing probably more than any single other album I like in 2018. Yes it's a solid album, but I just need those few ball crackers on an album to make it really worthwhile to me. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ponen said:

No 'We own the night' song!! Am surprised. That's the best one on CDG! And one of the best mid tempo melodic songs of all time in MR genre.

For some reason lately I've found myself not being a fan of most of the songs that just about everyone else loves.

eg: Roxanne - Super Bad
I think this was the first single?
It is my 10th favourite song off the album.
It's growing a bit I guess...

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Glen said:

everyone and their dog loves Coup ;)

And also, just to put that into context... you have to remember that Treat (with Ernlund) were not an active band for 21 years, and then all of a sudden they drop 'CDG' on us. If there is a single band in history that have released back to back killer albums, 21 years apart, then I'll carefully cut my balls from sack, cook them, and send them around to all my friends as a festive season delicacy.

What I mean to say, is if everyone thinks it's a pretty damn fine album, I think it sure as all heck deserves such accolades. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, sorry dudes, just not a close contest for me. CDG is home to 'Paper Tiger,' 'A life to die for,' 'Tangled Up,' 'Skies of Mongolia,' 'No way without you,' 'We own the night' and 'All for love' - all are absolute killers to me, and sorry Glen, but there is an abundance in song type/tempo/style in that lot. 

 

is there??

yes you highlighted the 2 songs which i said differ. A ballad and an aor type song.

The rest of the album is all rockers. All samish tempo. 

Personally I thinks songs like Always Have, Undefeated, Creeps, Riptide, Build the Live  are just as good and virtually identical in style and pace to most of CDG. 

Anyway I transgress......the original point was Treat being miles behind things like Station etc and I think most would disagree.

For what it's worth.

To each their own. 

We like what we like.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad year for me so far. Although been buying lots of older cd's.

Not a hugh Soto fan so never got that one 

I see I don't have many cd's on top of most lists here.

Will expect Midnite City to move up into the top 5 but don't have it yet.

 

The only two I can say that I really enjoyed so far are:

Kissin' Dynamite - Ecstasy  & 7th Heaven - Color In Motion

Most other albums I have from this year are hit and miss: 

Ammunition, Bloody Heels, Brian Barnhouse, Bride, Gioeli - Castronovo, Lipz, The Night Flight Orchestra, Perfect Plan, Stryper, Ted Poley, TNT, Aldo Nova

And albums I am considering on getting are:  Skull Fist, Dynazty, Impellitteri, Fifth Angel, Osukaru, Michael Ross, Ten, Steve Perry, White Widdow, Maverick, Salems Lott

Pissed I haven't seen the album yet (or will I ever) that bands promoted:

Rockstars On Mars & Pretty Wild  - What happened to these guys?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

With 1 month left to go in 2018, I've been refining my ratings and getting through some unrated material.

While I think there are a lot of very good albums this year, I don't know that the overall top end is as high as some recent years. No head-and-shoulders "debatable best of the last decade" quality material.

So... good year, not fantastic year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

With 1 month left to go in 2018, I've been refining my ratings and getting through some unrated material.

While I think there are a lot of very good albums this year, I don't know that the overall top end is as high as some recent years. No head-and-shoulders "debatable best of the last decade" quality material.

So... good year, not fantastic year.

I tend to agree with that. But there have been a lot of surprises for me. 

7th Heaven head an shoulders above everything else for me. 

Still can't believe quite how much I love the Tiffany and Kim Wilde albums.

The Fire Tiger also really spend a lot of time on my playlist. 

The Struts also really really enjoyable. 

Other than that I think I tend to agree with the general consensus. 
 

In the right mood the Steve Perry also a very very special piece of music. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to re-rate everything worthwhile in the next few weeks but at the moment I have an 89%, two 85% and the rest is 82% or lower. A lot of nice, solid albums... but really light on any stand-outs for sure.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

White Widdow, Midnite City, Dan Reed Network, Starchase and finally Radio Sun, all their new ones which were released this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nothing else coming out this year that interests me, so this is pretty much my final list for 2018.
 
1.  Kamelot – The Shadow Theory
2.  Lordi – Sexorcism
3.  The Night Flight Orchestra – Sometimes The World Ain’t Enough
4.  Amaranthe – Helix
5.  Magnum – Lost On The Road To Eternity
6.  Beyond The Black – Heart Of The Hurricane
7.  Michael Romeo – War Of The Worlds Pt. 1
8.  Powerwolf – The Sacrament Of Sin
9.  Halestorm – Vicious
10. Lucifer – Lucifer II
 
11. Dynazty – Firesign
12. Black Mirrors – Look Into The Black Mirror
13. Issa – Run With The Pack
14. Northward – Northward
15. Nordic Union – Second Coming
16. W.e.t. – Earthrage
17. Ammuntion – Ammunition
18. Treat – Tunguska
19. Burning Witches – Hexenhammer
20. Ex Libris – Ann- Chapter 1
21. Enemy Inside – Phoenix
22. Kalidia – The Frozen Throne
23. Elvellon – Until dawn
24. Orange Goblin – The Wolf Bites Back
25. Graveyard – Peace
26. Shinedown – Attention Attention
27. Redemption – Long Night’s Journey Into Day
28. Amorphis – Queen Of Time
29. Wilson/Wakeman – The Sun Will Dance In It’s Twilight Hour
30. Revertigo – Revertigo
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tobi is an animal said:
Nothing else coming out this year that interests me, so this is pretty much my final list for 2018.

Really? I'm looking at at least 3 potential top-5 contenders coming out in the last 3 weeks of 2018.

-Dan

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Really? I'm looking at at least 3 potential top-5 contenders coming out in the last 3 weeks of 2018.

-Dan

Who?
Palace
First Signal
Who am I missing?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh shit, sorry to burst your bubble, Dan, but Palace is absolute shit. Not average; not okay - but it's shit. As in it won't even be in my top 200 or so this year. :( Super, super disappointing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Posts

    • New song 'Venus'. Back on track again, a good one.    
    • Interested to hear more.. not bad. 
    • It has been nearly three years since THE TAKE "Pink & Proud" was listed on the Metallic Blue Records web page as "coming soon".   That sample track "Young Girls In Love" had me waiting with bated breath.   Numerous obstacles were presented in preparation for the album's release, one of which were production issues due to the Covid-19 pandemic.   But alas, it is finally here and I've given my copy a good listen.   The first track is the one that first grabbed my attention 3 years ago.   "Young Girls In Love",  with it's haunting intro and upbeat 80's vibe, sets the stage for the entire album.  Originally recorded in 1985-86, the tracks are full throttle 80's sounding, laced with hook laden, catchy melodies the way we love it.   The production is very eighties oriented with lots of great guitar and loads of keyboards for most of the menu.  Those keyboard duties were shared between Arthur Hall and Janine Stewart.  Vocal duties are handled by Michael Coones on this album and at this time of the band's life, Chris Boudreaux had departed.   THE TAKE hail from Salt Lake City and here are 9 AOR melodic rockers that will remind the listener of such great bands as AVIATOR, HAYWIRE, WORRALL, JT SHELTER and MAY RUN.  They have a unique talent for writing  AOR melodic songs.  So,  if you're into lush or bombastic, breezy melodies, professionally executed then THE TAKE "Pink & Proud" is a must to own.  It's a real gem for 80's AOR melodic rock lovers.  
    • I have just finished listening to the new SOLDIER CD titled "My Window" just released by Metallic Blue Records and what a surprise this one was. Immediately, when the first track "My Window" began to play, my ears were in a state of delight. A bold melodic rock sound laced with sparkling keyboards and vocals layered with harmony background vocals could be heard. This first track was a true grabber, compelling me to want to hear even more. As I continued listening, I wasn't disappointed. Along with a few mellow ballads, there were a number of exciting melodic tracks highlighted by "Cells Are Locked", "Life" and "No Easy Way Out" which brought out the "Quade and CRAAFT influences in their sound. The entire album was a listening experience that was a combination of pure AOR and melodic rock reminding me of BRICKLIN meets PHIL CHRISTIAN blended with influences of QUADE and CRAAFT. The album is fronted by Chris Boudreaux (THE TAKE, BOUDREAUX, HAIL MARY, RESTLESS BREED) in a band that balanced his time with THE TAKE and his band BOUDREAUX that was also just released on the Metallic Blue label. Chris was recruited by a band originally named PALACE to be the frontman and SOLDIER was born. The band played Salt Lake City while they recorded the "My Window" album in 1986. Afterwards, they moved operations to Las Vegas and eventually SOLDIER played all over Hollywood, especially up and down the Sunset Strip. The band frequented Gazzarris, The Troubadour, FM Station, The Roxy, and The Whiskey a Go Go. "My Window" was previously released on cassette only back in 1986 and now we have it on CD with never released bonus tracks. I was very impressed with this explosive AOR album with it's melodious sound, great keyboards and vocals. If you are a fan of CRAAFT (1986), PHIL CHRISTIAN, BRICKLIN or QUADE, you must not let this one get past you. My highest recommendation for a fantastic listen.  
    • I've explained why America is better under Biden and the response is for me to watch a Youtube video. I say Fuck that !  Jobs being created,unemployment down,stock market up,etc.... I don't need any douchebag youtubers to explain anything to me.I can look at the facts myself !
    • Thanks ! I got the last 2 copies of Mood Groove !
    • New song 'Testify'. Press release: Frontiers Music Srl is excited to announce the signing of Big City, a melodic metal band from Norway, to a multi-album deal. Fans of bands such as Firewind, Queensryche, Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall, Europe, Fair Warning, and the like should look forward to being introduced to this exciting band. The band's new album, "Testify X" will be released on July 16, 2021. Of first single 'Testify', guitarist Daniel Olaisen says it "is about confessing to things to get weight off of your conscience in order to have a better life...or keep them a secret and live a lie. This is the very first song I/we wrote for the album and it has it all. Melodic and acoustic intro, a real catchy hook line on the guitar, great vocal lines and a modulation at the end!"   "We have pretty different influences in the band. From jazz/fusion to extreme metal. The foundation however is our passion for melodic and nostalgic 80's metal/hard rock!" adds Olaisen.   Big City was originally put together by guitarist and songwriter Daniel Olaisen. His plan was to use a vast amount of song ideas and 80's metal influenced guitar riffs that he had stockpiled over the years for a batch of songs with the right players. Frank Ørland, who also played with Daniel in Scariot (prog/thrash/heavy band featuring Communic and Spiral Architect members), was an obvious choice to bring to Big City as the second guitarist. Frank Nordeng Røe (Withem, Maraton, session drummer for Circus Maximus and Leprous) was brought in on drums after being discovered by Daniel via some internet research. The band was then completed with Jan Le Brandt on vocals and Geir Inge Olsen, who was brought in as a session bass player.  The band's debut album, "Wintersleep", was initially released in 2014 and later on re-released by the Greek label Rock of Angels in 2018 as part of a deluxe edition of their second album, Big City Life. Big City played their very first live shows the same month of the international release, including Norway Rock Festival and Rock the Boat with Miguel Pereira (Withem) joining the band as their new permanent bass player.  In 2019, the band started working on a new album and brought in a new singer, Jørgen Bergersen from Rock the Night (Europe cover band) and the new demos caught the interest of Frontiers who moved swiftly to sign the band. "The new album will introduce our new singer. He's done an incredible job and there's more punch and heaviness in his voice. The songs are still varied, from super chill ballad to heavy and light-progressive tunes. Melodies are still in focus and there's plenty of that, as expected. It's simply the best Big City album so far!" says Daniel Olaisen.  Line-up: Daniel Olaisen – Rhythm, lead and acoustic guitars Frank Ørland – Lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars Frank Nordeng Røe – Drums and percussion Jørgen Bergersen- Vocals Miguel Pereira – Bass guitar    Tracklist: 1. The Rush 2. Dark Rider 3. Testify 4. I Will Fall 5. Running Away 6. Conception 7. Winds Of The Road 8. Heart's Like A Lion 9. Graveyard Love 10. How Dark Does It Get    www.facebook.com/bigcitynorway    
    • Yeah they are not for everyone that is for sure....I checked out several of their songs and they are hit and miss for me....they do however sound different from anyone I've heard before.....
    • Yeah really like what I hear from this band and will be looking out for a full release....
    • Yeah sounds decent,not fantastic but decent indeed.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.