Top-5 2018 (at the moment)

35 minutes ago, Crazysam said:

I thought the Nitrate album was pretty good as well.  I would also agree that it hasn't received too many comments/reviews, here or elsewhere, which is a shame as it is worth checking out, especially for those who liked Midnite City. 

Definitely similar to Midnite City and would think it would appeal to anybody that liked that album.  I can't help noticing how similar some of the riffs, arrangements and lyrics feel which I guess should be expected given how involved Rob and Pete were with this.  However, I think Joss gives it just enough of a different feel on vocals though to separate it a bit and give it it's own character.  I think maybe the keyboards are a tiny bit more prevalent on this too but not so much that it distracts from anything.  Maybe it's because I just listened to Hot Summer Nights before writing this....Digging that tune :)

I've only been through the album a few times and seem to like it a little more each time I've listened to it.     

Maybe more reviews will be coming....really would think it would be fairly well received.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Definitely similar to Midnite City and would think it would appeal to anybody that liked that album.

That's pretty helpful for me

I wouldn't have bothered with Nitrate as I've never heard them before and I'm not really looking for new music at the moment.
But based on what you said I'll have a listen.

There's absolutely no beating around the bush regarding the Nitrate album. It is 100% completely just a Midnite City album... with Joss Mennen on vocals. I'd guess most these songs were probably written in the same sessions as the MC debut? I dunno... sure sounds like it. It's a great album, but it definitely sounds like Mennen is singing someone else's songs that he might not be entirely connected with. Good enough vocalist, but I'm not sure he has the passion for the songs that perhaps the songwriters would have had. ;)

Either way, killer album and probably the best full-length album I've heard this year. 

Anyway... Care of Night - hadn't heard about that either. Very exciting. 

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

There's absolutely no beating around the bush regarding the Nitrate album. It is 100% completely just a Midnite City b side album... 

agreed ;)

I wouldn't substitute one song on the MC debut for one of these.

it's pretty good....just not as good.

3 or 4 songs approach that quality but some are just a bit lacklustre (and overlong) for me.

I predict the the new MC will destroy this.

Sorry guys 

35 minutes ago, Glen said:

agreed ;)

I wouldn't substitute one song on the MC debut for one of these.

it's pretty good....just not as good.

3 or 4 songs approach that quality but some are just a bit lacklustre (and overlong) for me.

I predict the the new MC will destroy this.

Sorry guys 

You're probably right about the new Midnite City....fully expecting a killer album!

I wonder how I'd feel if this had released before Midnite City and we weren't able to compare to that release?  I'm pretty sure this was actually mostly done with Rob singing lead vocals before Rob broke off and decided to do Midnite City.  Then they re-did things with Joss.  He does bring a slightly different flavor to the songs which took me a little to warm up to but they probably tried to get something that didn't sound "exactly" like Midnite City.

Either way, I dig the vibe and style of this music and do think the overall sound is pretty good.  I also would agree that it's not as good as Midnite City....But that was my #1 album last year :) 

Still way better than anything I can find on mainstream radio  ?    

Midnite City was nowhere near my fav last year. This is not even close to that.

Hmmmm. the songs just aren't strong enough for me. 

if I'm honest I doubt I'll listen to it again. not enough to draw me back 

No doubt in the world, doods, that MC kept all the best songs for themselves - that's only logical. Wouldn't you? But there's still no doubting these are the exact same style of MC... even if they may be the ones they didn't want to use for their own albums. ;) 

On 8/9/2018 at 6:15 AM, Geoff said:

No doubt in the world, doods, that MC kept all the best songs for themselves - that's only logical. Wouldn't you? But there's still no doubting these are the exact same style of MC... even if they may be the ones they didn't want to use for their own albums. ;) 

And don't forget, MC's new album is done and a new Nitrate has already been written. That's a least 40 songs written basically at the same time.

On 8/9/2018 at 11:15 AM, Geoff said:

The b sides you mean ;)

Exact same style except these are 7/10 songs that don't really need to be heard again (and won't......by me anyway) instead of 9/10 songs on MC

3 minutes ago, Glen said:

The b sides you mean ;)

Exact same style except these are 7/10 songs that don't really need to be heard again (and won't......by me anyway) instead of 9/10 songs on MC

That's why I make compilations, there are some good songs on it that will fit nicely on comp. If I only listened to 9/10 type of songs, it could be a small comp.

39 minutes ago, The Rocker said:

That's why I make compilations, there are some good songs on it that will fit nicely on comp. If I only listened to 9/10 type of songs, it could be a small comp.

there's a decent EP on Nitrate. 

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, lettard said:

Quick Update :)

W.E.T - Earthrage

Vega - Only Human

LeBrock - The Real Thing E.P

Nitrate - Real World

Steel City - Fortress

The Night Flight Orchestra - Sometimes The World Aint Enough

Shiraz Lane - Carnival Days

Kissin Dynamite - Ecstasy *new entry  :)

Like the new Kissin Dynamite also but maybe not quite enough

Yeah, its in  :)

Edited by lettard

2 hours ago, lettard said:

Yeah, its in  :)

Love that KD, my #2 right now behind W.E.T.. Good stuff on that list.

1 minute ago, tts42572 said:

I really feel like KD has  moved to #1 on my list....Just fantastic :headbanger: 

Nice!

1 minute ago, tts42572 said:

I really feel like KD has  moved to #1 on my list....Just fantastic :headbanger: 

On 7/23/2018 at 10:12 PM, mrbandwidth said:

Maverick has become my favorite listening for weeks, hence has scaled several posiitions; no more changes:

1. W.E.T.

2. Maverick

3. Shiraz Lane

4. No Sleep For Lucy

5. Vega

Also listened Kissin' Dynamite, Ted Poley and Night Flight Orchestra; like them but not enough to replace any above. Blame my ears. :nyanya:

Kissin' and climbin' (and eatin' my own ears with Ecstasy...  ? ). But remember: what happens in Vega... well, you know. :cya:

1. W.E.T.

2. Maverick

3. Kissin' Dynamite

4. Shiraz Lane

5. No Sleep For Lucy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Treat - Tunguska *new entry  :)

W.E.T - Earthrage

Vega - Only Human

LeBrock - The Real Thing E.P

Nitrate - Real World

Steel City - Fortress

The Night Flight Orchestra - Sometimes The World Aint Enough

Shiraz Lane - Carnival Days

Kissin Dynamite - Ecstasy

• 2 weeks later...

Updated for my thoughts at the moment....Always changing though :)

1.  Kissin Dynamite - Ecstasy

2.  Shiraz Lane - Carnival Days

3.  Maverick - Cold Star Dancer

4.  W.e.t - Earthrage

5.  Treat - Tunguska

6.  Nitrate - Real World

7.  Station - More Than The Moon

8.  Halestorm - Vicious

9.  Hearts On Fire - Call Of Destiny (Have this early from premium preorder....only through it once so far but good stuff!)

10.Dangerous Curves - S/T

Honorable mention missing the cut - Dallas, Perfect Plan

Only other releases at this point I'm expecting to shake up my list are Midnite City and Nordic Union.  

16 hours ago, Glen said:

aside from the technical knowhow, the more pressing question is how that average as hell Station release is still residing at no 2 ;)

jeez 

13 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

And how the hell is Ted Poley #1????

So out of curiosity, gents, which are the gems I'm missing out on that are so much better than these two? Curious as heck. ;) 

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

So out of curiosity, gents, which are the gems I'm missing out on that are so much better than these two? Curious as heck. ;) 

just stick the 30 or so below them above them ;)