Best of 2014 lists posted!

heavyharmonies

I just posted the Best of lists from Mike, Pete, Jez, Terry and myself.

Strong year in many different genres... so much so that there was less consensus amongst us than ever before. Almost no overlap at all in our top 5 selections.

http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/2014best.cgi

Feel free to agree, disagree, or rip us to shreds for our takes. :lol:

-Dan

Nice lists guys....utterly and completely different take on the year to me in general (think Jez was closest to me)...I mean Dan had most of my top 10 in his also rans lol....but always a good read.

Overall im just surprised that there wasnt more love for Seven? To me its just a consumate AOR album full of amazing hooks.

And the winner is... Pete. Well, kind of. His lists were closest to mine ie. closest to being correct, so well done Pete. ;)

But yeah, good stuff. Props to Jez for mentioning the excellent Michael Paynter album... and I had no idea we had such a similar opinion on the HEAT disc either.

Big surprise was a couple of favourable mentions of that Sixx AM disc, which I thought was awful.

Anyway, great lists, guys. Got a couple of new ones to check out (Dead End Hereos and Devil's Heaven) so thanks for the lists. Good reading. :)

With Paul Logue involved and writing songs, though? From Cry Havoc and Eden's Curse? I like that guy's song writing and would check out anything he does, at least once.

I also noticed that one of my personal favourites from the year was not included at all on the entire page. Does that just mean no one heard the States of Panic 'No World Order' CD? Because across the board, this has been the biggest exclusion of all 2014 releases and needs to get into people's ears.

11 tracks of blistering hard rock with a sleaze and modern vibe. It all meshes together to form a monster album without hint of a filler. And the band is, of course, Peepshow with a new name. Peepshow; the band who was part of everyone's favourite lists a few years ago with 'Brand New Breed' from 2012. And this one takes off where that one left off. Cannot believe the lack of attention it got in 2014!

I actually dare you not to love this:

Never heard States of Panic, I did enjoy the Dead End Heroes though. Not enough to make Top 5 by any stretch, but a real solid disc for me.

Geoff, in general I'm not surprised, I think we've always had a lot of the same favorites over the years! :D

Great post !

Different taste and opinion is always good because we can always revisit some albums to hear what we missed before

Cheers and kudos to Pete too, Hell In The Club almost on the top spot there :D

@ Geoff. Quite like that song but much prefer the sound they had on the Peepshow debut.

This has a real modern feel whereas the debut was pure sleaze.

I like the debut too, but it's their least excellent album, imo. 'Brand New Breed' was heavier and more modern than their debut, and States Of Panic follows the same path, and is even heavier and more modern than 'Brand New Breed.' But to me, that is a long way off being a bad thing. For me it was easily the best album in the "heavier" and "modern" side of the spectrum in 2014.

@ Geoff. Quite like that song but much prefer the sound they had on the Peepshow debut.

I like the debut too, but it's their least excellent album, imo. 'Brand New Breed' was heavier and more modern than their debut, and States Of Panic follows the same path, and is even heavier and more modern than 'Brand New Breed.' But to me, that is a long way off being a bad thing. For me it was easily the best album in the "heavier" and "modern" side of the spectrum in 2014.

Oh i meant Brand New Breed....sorry the debut is average imo

lol, I was surprised you'd rate the debut over 'Brand new breed,' but yeah, if you like that (and who doesn't?!!) then it'd be pretty hard to not enjoy States Of Panic too. Like I've said, 'Brand New Breed' is the better disc, but not by so much that people should be ignoring 'No World Order.'

lol, I was surprised you'd rate the debut over 'Brand new breed,' but yeah, if you like that (and who doesn't?!!) then it'd be pretty hard to not enjoy States Of Panic too. Like I've said, 'Brand New Breed' is the better disc, but not by so much that people should be ignoring 'No World Order.'

But I have listened to States of Panic and it does sound different to me........like a scaled down version of Black Veil Brides.......obviously not the same as them, but more the style of those songs rather than Crashdiet influenced which Brand New Breed was........

Probably makes no sense, but hey ho.

But I have listened to States of Panic and it does sound different to me........like a scaled down version of Black Veil Brides.......obviously not the same as them, but more the style of those songs rather than Crashdiet influenced which Brand New Breed was........

Probably makes no sense, but hey ho.

Oh man, my eyes widened and I vomitted in my mouth when you mentioned BVB. lol. Those guys are terrible (even if I admit to liking some of their stuff), and thankfully SOP are far superior to that rubbish. But yeah, I do get your point. There's no doubt SOP are more modern than Crashdiet, but I guess for me that's not really a bad thing. :)