How do you feel about getting your c.d.'s autographed?

35 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

I've always heard a signature on the booklet devalues the CD.

Does it? didn't know that...I don't have many signed...but I do have a few.

1 hour ago, lettard said:

Does it? didn't know that...I don't have many signed...but I do have a few.

From discogs:

The majority of collectors say that ANY "added marking" on the record or sleeve (names, dates, doodles, autographs, etc) LOWER its value.

Don't ever plan on selling my collection, so doesn't bother me

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
20 hours ago, auslander said:

Depends how you define "value". I don't really have any cds as investments. So, the very few I have that are autographed by the band have value to me.

I don't really see the collector's market bouncing back, so, yeah, not much of an investment anymore. Even if CDs return like vinyl has, our genre is so niche. I can't imagine the new form of "hipster" in ten or twenty years knowing who Jillson are, even if Def Leppard and Bon Jovi are suddenly "cool" again. 

I find it hard to fathom that an autographed CD could have less value than an unsigned one.  

I've had plenty of signed CD's that I've sold and they always seem to fetch at least some sort of a premium depending on the band.  I mean, if it's a band that's not overly popular, people probably don't care much.  But if we're talking Def Leppard or something, I think it definitely adds to the value.

At the end of the day though, the best part of signed CD's is when you're at the show and got them signed in person.  They end up being a nice keepsake and memory and I still enjoy getting CD's signed when the opportunity presents itself.

19 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I find it hard to fathom that an autographed CD could have less value than an unsigned one.  

I've had plenty of signed CD's that I've sold and they always seem to fetch at least some sort of a premium depending on the band.  I mean, if it's a band that's not overly popular, people probably don't care much.  But if we're talking Def Leppard or something, I think it definitely adds to the value.

At the end of the day though, the best part of signed CD's is when you're at the show and got them signed in person.  They end up being a nice keepsake and memory and I still enjoy getting CD's signed when the opportunity presents itself.

Well it's not like these rock artists are star baseball players or something. Any defacing of the CD booklet is considered bad. But I agree, if someone is a huge fan of a band, they will pay a premium for an autographed copy.

23 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

From discogs:

The majority of collectors say that ANY "added marking" on the record or sleeve (names, dates, doodles, autographs, etc) LOWER its value.

Good job i'm not selling any of em  :)

• Like 1

I once bought a bulk lot of 4 used Talisman cds. When they arrived, turned out they were all signed by the band members. I thought that was a cool bonus. They weren't advertised as signed and I paid no premium at all.

1 minute ago, auslander said:

I once bought a bulk lot of 4 used Talisman cds. When they arrived, turned out they were all signed by the band members. I thought that was a cool bonus. They weren't advertised as signed and I paid no premium at all.

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, auslander said:

Are you sure they're genuine though? 

Maybe that's why they weren't advertised as such.

If they are genuine however, I certainly reckon it would increase their value with mega "Talisman" fans who already have their pristine copies, but would love to have the signatures.

Especially Marcel Jacob's. 

As for signatures on Albums in general, I'd probably prefer they weren't signed, unless I actually had them signed in person with a photo to serve as proof and definitely NO personalised autographs! That would lower the value I think. 

Edited by Darkstone

11 hours ago, auslander said:

Cool...I ordered a cd by Eyes called 24U many years ago...it was basically the debut & 2nd cd as a double disc...don't know how genuine it is because I have very rarely seen it, its under Iconic Productions...long and the short of it...its signed by JSS , Jimmy , Doc & Aldy...which if its real  is very nice...can't really imagine much of a market for a non genuine Eyes signed cd though...not exactly a household name...so I'm sticking to the Genuine part :P

Personally I buy cds because I want the music in that form and I do not care if they are signed. I certainly would not pay extra for signed copies.....I have never understood the interest in getting someone elses signature on an item unless it is a check ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If your buying cd's and records as an investment then go away. Your ruining it for the rest of us.

On topic I prefer an autographed flat or poster as they are easier to display than a signed liner note or cd cover but I'll take em and enjoy them.

Any of you posers out there that are bent over a "scribbled" on piece of media send them my way as you leave.

• My Little Pony
10 hours ago, martinsane said:

If your buying cd's and records as an investment then go away.

Surely, there's no investment value anymore, is there? Whatever market remains must be rapidly diminishing. 

13 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Surely, there's no investment value anymore, is there? Whatever market remains must be rapidly diminishing. 

Not as much as before, especially with the old uber rarities, but you still have the elitists and the likes of record store day and those one offs that sell out in seconds and never to be opened or played.

I see this with blu rays and 4k releases as well and its prevalent with the "boutique" labels.