Have things Changed Around here?

heaven&hell

I hope this is in the right forum. :unsure:

The point of this thread is that I was talking to someone that's been a member of this community from almost the begining but now rarely ever comes around here anymore. After discussing why he don't come here anymore he seemed to think that he didn't fit in over here anymore. I've also noticed that there's a quite a few others that have been coming here less and less over the last year and these were people that were on here on a daily basis for my first couple of years on this site. So I guess my question is has the site/forum changed to much for some of these people? Is it the constant bickering between board members? Or is it just life and things change and people move on?

I wanted to point out that this thread in no way is pointed towards anyone in particular or in anyway made to make anyone look bad. I'm just more or less curious to see what others think.

For myself I love coming here to not only discuss music but to bullshit about whatever to have that escape from the normal day to day crap of life. But I do see how some things that go on around here could bother some people and maybe make them not want to come back. I'm not saying anything needs to be changed but for some reason the flame wars seem to bother some people more than others.

I hope to God that this doesn't turn into some sort of Flamefest(crosses fingers).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting ... ! :drink:

Let me add my view on this and ... it is not my intention to offend anyone, as well.

Allthough I am not a member of this forum for such a long time yet, I believe this forum used to be mainly for melodic Hard Rock music. The founders can correct me if I am wrong.

But over the last few years it is noticeable that this forum has turned into a somewhat heavy/brutal metal forum, where mainly a few people are talking to each other about bands of this genre. Most of the current topics/posts/polls go into this direction. My guess is that a number of the older members are bored with the forum after this change as they can't add much to probably 80% of the posts.

Myself I am still happy with the other 20% as long as I know that there are some more MHR/AOR lovers out there. But I do wish sometimes that people were more tolerant about other opinions and musical tastes from time to time. After all we all love Rock music, don't we !?!?

Keep on rockin' ! :headbanger:

Well, I think these forums have changed over the years (for the record, I've been here since the beginning...since before there even were forums, for that matter), but I hardly think they've evolved (or devolved, depending on your point of view) to the point where any AOR/melodic rock/hair-metal fan would feel unable to "fit in."

Life does change and people do move on. I myself used to frequent/post in these forums more than I currently do, but after getting married, building a house, and having a baby (well, actually, my wife had the baby, but you know what I'm saying), there just isn't as much time to spend here.

As for the bickering/flaming...it's been said before by others better than me, but I'll say it again now: anyone who thinks Heavy Harmonies is overladen with arguments really doesn't belong on message boards anyway, because this place is downright tame compared to most of the others out there.

After giving it much thought, the only thing I can conclude is that if we want to make people flock to Heavy Harmonies, we need to get rid of Pete & Geoff. I think it's clear those two are the problem... ;)

I pretty much agree with what Mark said....I too became a member of the site near the beginning. I don't have nearly the number of posts that many of the shorter term members, but, I'm one of those that stops by once or twice a day to see "whassup" and occasionally "stir the pot a bit".........yeah, sorry to say, this old geezer does that once in awhile!! I check the topics that interest me....post on occasion when I think I have something to contribute and have even developed some pretty good friendships with others on the board.

I guess it boils down to the fact that some people either decide they no longer share the same interests as they once did or have other obligations to attend to......

Hey, it may even be that we just don't "generate" as much excitement as in the old days of the "SAM WARS" !!!!! or...even the "great Lonnie consipiracy"....... everyone was stopping by several times a day to catch up on the latest "poop"!!!!

Hey, it may even be that we just don't "generate" as much excitement as in the old days of the "SAM WARS" !!!!! or...even the "great Lonnie consipiracy"....... everyone was stopping by several times a day to catch up on the latest "poop"!!!!

Or Mr. Jason Fa-Q's zany and kooky antics. :spvader:

Great topic Wes to bring up :tumbsup:

Everyone has made valid points here from some people seemingly only interested in a certain style of music, thus mainly only speaking amongst themselves, to people who have simply had enough of doing this and moved on for whatever reasons.

The main problem I feel is that new members never seem to stay around long to inject a bit of freshness with different thoughts and opinions on some topics.

You constantly see that when a new member introduces themself in the introduction thread, everyone welcomes them but whenever they do a post about a topic of discussion, they are often ignored by most or get a reply saying we have already been over this and of course they are going to say, "well fuck you" and never be heard from again. {I'm not saying this happens all the time, but sometimes it does}

I think making the new members feel more involved will go along way to keeping the forums interesting and everyone enthusiastic.

Also creating new topics like Ian does so well, goes along way in keeping the interest and to also introduce some topics that will ruffle some feathers is another good way to introduce some healthy debate.

Anyway, that is just my opinion, and overall I feel we have a mighty fine bunch here and I do enjoy the discussion and banter that does take place here :drink:

I still come here every day.....but sometimes I just don't have anything to say.

Maybe I've lost some of that 'passion' I used to feel for the music. -_-

Maybe I'm just getting shy.........

HA! :lol:

You constantly see that when a new member introduces themself in the introduction thread, everyone welcomes them but whenever they do a post about a topic of discussion, they are often ignored by most or get a reply saying we have already been over this and of course they are going to say, "well fuck you" and never be heard from again. {I'm not saying this happens all the time, but sometimes it does}

that is the main thing I see. I have been here a while and don't post much because I don't "know" people or feel I fit in .. it is very clicky here - and I'm not saying that is a problem or fault, it's quite normal on forums. You get to know people and get friendly with them and of course you will have your clicky banter so I tend to post (probably too much) on a few other forums I'm on because I have some sort of relationship with others, but even then a lot of people come and go because real life gets in the way :P

I still read HH all the time because some of it is informative and some is amusing. I'm more a lurker I suppose

After giving it much thought, the only thing I can conclude is that if we want to make people flock to Heavy Harmonies, we need to get rid of Pete & Geoff. I think it's clear those two are the problem... ;)

Yes, definitely! Those fuckin' bastards! :axe:

Actually I am in agreement with Mark about just about everything. Some of my reasons are different (new business, two bands), some the same (new house, child), but the end result is the same, I just don't have as much time to post. My love for the music is actually stronger than ever, although I don't have as much time to listen to it. Too busy trying to create it... <_<

It can be a bit cliquey here for sure, I guess because some of us have been here for so long. I for one will make an effort not to dismiss those new posters for reposting an already covered topic, and make them feel more welcome in general. Nothing wrong with new blood. :)

Overall I don't think the attitude has changed all that much though, and it isn't exactly a hostile board by any stretch. :blink:

I for one will make an effort not to dismiss those new posters for reposting an already covered topic, and make them feel more welcome in general.

Thanks for your understanding, Pete, because you really did ignore me in the past !! ;)

joking, of course ..... ! :lol:

I for one will make an effort not to dismiss those new posters for reposting an already covered topic, and make them feel more welcome in general.

Thanks for your understanding, Pete, because you really did ignore me in the past !! ;)

Did somebody say something?

;)

Have things Changed Around here?

Nah. Same jokes about Eric Brittingham, different week. :lol:

As with everything in life things change..I don't see a real big change

but sometimes the threads veer off into some strange, funny tangents...

but that keeps it interesting IMO...I have been on a few other boards and

frankly this is VERY TAME compared to some of the others..and I

have learned a lot here and enjoy all the new things I hear or learn!!

Backed.

Yeah, good topic, Wes. I also have several thoughts on this subject.

Firstly, I have to disagree with Bernd (from a fellow MHR lover). There are plenty (if not more than metal) of AOR/MHR threads here. I cannot think of many releases from recent years that don't have a thread dedicated to them, as do many past releases. I also have no intention of pointing people out or trying to offend anyone, but one thing I find a little frustrating is hearing some people say that the forum is full of stupid posts about nonsense and nobody talks about music anymore. The fact is that there are countless music threads here, all over the place, but it often seems to be the same handful of a few guys commenting/discussing in them.

I can understand the "cliquey" thing but don't think that should be an issue at all. As people have said, it's only natural you become freinds with people after you've been here for a while. I've been a poster (a lot less these days) at Melodicrock.com, which is also very cliquey. I've never been close to the clique but who cares??? It doesn't mean I can't speak. Same with Purevolume. Been a member there for a few years and have posted heaps. They all hate me and I am so far out of the clique it's insane. But it doesn't bother me. Many people have already noted how tame this site is compared to anywhere on the net and the so called "clique" is the friendliest I know. I personally think new-comers are very warmly welcomed here and are often made to feel as welcome as possible.

I'm not sure how/if the site has changed much since I've been here, but one thing I know for sure is that the "thicker-skinned" individuals who are not phased by issues that in reality aren't even there are the ones that seem to enjoy the site the most. :) At the end of the day, it is just the internet.

Backed.

Yeah, good topic, Wes. I also have several thoughts on this subject.

Firstly, I have to disagree with Bernd (from a fellow MHR lover). There are plenty (if not more than metal) of AOR/MHR threads here. I cannot think of many releases from recent years that don't have a thread dedicated to them, as do many past releases. I also have no intention of pointing people out or trying to offend anyone, but one thing I find a little frustrating is hearing some people say that the forum is full of stupid posts about nonsense and nobody talks about music anymore. The fact is that there are countless music threads here, all over the place, but it often seems to be the same handful of a few guys commenting/discussing in them.

I can understand the "cliquey" thing but don't think that should be an issue at all. As people have said, it's only natural you become freinds with people after you've been here for a while. I've been a poster (a lot less these days) at Melodicrock.com, which is also very cliquey. I've never been close to the clique but who cares??? It doesn't mean I can't speak. Same with Purevolume. Been a member there for a few years and have posted heaps. They all hate me and I am so far out of the clique it's insane. But it doesn't bother me. Many people have already noted how tame this site is compared to anywhere on the net and the so called "clique" is the friendliest I know. I personally think new-comers are very warmly welcomed here and are often made to feel as welcome as possible.

I'm not sure how/if the site has changed much since I've been here, but one thing I know for sure is that the "thicker-skinned" individuals who are not phased by issues that in reality aren't even there are the ones that seem to enjoy the site the most. :) At the end of the day, it is just the internet.

Great post Cousin. :drink:

This board is my fav ever!!!!! everyone is great, even though I do not post much anymore, still come every day and see what is new!!! I guess my musical styles change from time to time and sometimes I am more into the Melodic thing and sometimes prog, sometimes modern, etc Still a great place!!!!!

I don't think the site's changed much. I think, as always, it kinda depends on what you're here for as there are always people who are just interested in stirring-up trouble or have ulterior motives, but if you're here to chat with other like-minded rock/metal music fans then (unless you have tourettes) it's kinda hard to go wrong....

Personally I'm finding that between being busier at work & being into a lot of Modern Rock/Metal that I'm not visiting here as much as before, but it doesn't seem a whole lot different to me....

I like it as much as I ever did....I don't visit as much because of the previously mentioned crack down on internet use at work.......I used to hammer it when there was nothing to do at night.

I probably don't have as much to say these days - possibly because I'm not buying as much new stuff as I used to as it just isn't rockin' my world as much as the older bands (at the moment) but every so often I ramble on for more than I should.

But HH still rules for me and I have made some good mates here and had some right good laughs ... long may it reign :)

I did move the couch closer to the fridge...I think Keef Moved the stereo...

and Pete cleaned up the Coffee area and put in an espresso machine...so yeah things

have changed a bit...who moved the Girlie posters???

I Have been coming here for over 5 years now and things have pretty much stayed the same. People come and people go, that's life, but the main core of people are still here.

I find myself spending more time here than I have ever done, more down to the fact that I have access to a PC at work now (which makes my boring breaks at work all the more easier).

I also agree that people try to make newcomers as welcome as possible, but obviously it is a little difficult at first, as there is obviously the 'Cliquey' thing going on, as with most boards, but once people get to know each other (if they stay long enough) all should be well.

Personalities here are very different obviously, which can cause problems, but not very often over the years, and I don't think anyone here comes here to 'Stir Up The Shit' as it were, although, on occassions people need to be told and I for one certainly aren't afraid of doing so, unlike maybe some others who are happy to keep the peace it seems. That is not my way and I don't apologise for it one bit. Flamewars are flamewars - if ya don't like 'em, keep out of 'em and go and read something else (although I notice that most people read them and the 'hits' go up - human nature!!).

HH Remains for me, the best board out there bar non, I really like the majority of the people that I have got to know over the years (hence why I spend my time here) and wouldn't change anything about it - Long may it continue.

I Have been coming here for over 5 years now and things have pretty much stayed the same. People come and people go, that's life, but the main core of people are still here.

I find myself spending more time here than I have ever done, more down to the fact that I have access to a PC at work now (which makes my boring breaks at work all the more easier).

I also agree that people try to make newcomers as welcome as possible, but obviously it is a little difficult at first, as there is obviously the 'Cliquey' thing going on, as with most boards, but once people get to know each other (if they stay long enough) all should be well.

Personalities here are very different obviously, which can cause problems, but not very often over the years, and I don't think anyone here comes here to 'Stir Up The Shit' as it were, although, on occassions people need to be told and I for one certainly aren't afraid of doing so, unlike maybe some others who are happy to keep the peace it seems. That is not my way and I don't apologise for it one bit. Flamewars are flamewars - if ya don't like 'em, keep out of 'em and go and read something else (although I notice that most people read them and the 'hits' go up - human nature!!).

HH Remains for me, the best board out there bar non, I really like the majority of the people that I have got to know over the years (hence why I spend my time here) and wouldn't change anything about it - Long may it continue.

Well said :beerbang:

Speaking for myself only, there is a certain whore that keeps me from coming around as much. Their post are useless and well let's face it how much of a whore can one person be? Gobble Gobble.

Seriously, I just find myself with less time. At work I got a new supervisor a little while back and he walks by and says stuff like what kind of example are you setting for others. So I although I have HH up, I can only rarely pull it up to check it out after my shift starts. My old supervisor didn't care, but this one does. Otherwise I would bombard you with my wit and charm all day.

At home, well I am just too tired recently. I find myself just whiped out most times. I am old and frail. I broke 4 bones just last month. No, not really but yeah just too tired. I have one thing on my mind after work. A little time with a certain vegetable. No, not carrots. No, not broccoli. Think green and tiny. :P

I love the people here. I truly do. There are people I know are good for a laugh when I am in pissy mood. Some who just know their shit musically. I love the board. As for it changing, well people come and go. The core has stuck. I have a group of favorite people, but everyone is packed with awesomeness™. There are people who frustrate me, but are important to the board none the less. This is the best board ever. I love that for the most part I can talk shit and people know that I am full of shit. I can call Wes a festering pile of dog poo who has zero good taste in music and although he knows it's true, he knows I meant it in the best possible way. Right Wes? I can tell Pete that Rockarma, Farrcry and Shotgun Alli combined don't come close to that pile of crap Bulletboys CD ZaZa. He knows it's true and respects my musical knowledge. Right Pete? I can tell Geoff that his obsession with my penis is unhealthy, but that doesn't keep him from loving it anyways. Right Geoff? So in conclusion, you people are the best group of people on any board I have ever been a member of. I am honored to be included in the mix and completely blown away at being chosen as the most favorite person here.

Disclaimer:The views expressed concerning certain people here are totally made up and ficticious. I upgraded Wes to dog poo. Haven't bothered listening to anything Pete has recorded, and think Geoff is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gay. Kisses darling. Also, this is the only board I have ever belong to.

Speaking for myself only, there is a certain whore that keeps me from coming around as much. Their post are useless and well let's face it how much of a whore can one person be? Gobble Gobble.

Seriously, I just find myself with less time. At work I got a new supervisor a little while back and he walks by and says stuff like what kind of example are you setting for others. So I although I have HH up, I can only rarely pull it up to check it out after my shift starts. My old supervisor didn't care, but this one does. Otherwise I would bombard you with my wit and charm all day.

At home, well I am just too tired recently. I find myself just whiped out most times. I am old and frail. I broke 4 bones just last month. No, not really but yeah just too tired. I have one thing on my mind after work. A little time with a certain vegetable. No, not carrots. No, not broccoli. Think green and tiny. :P

I love the people here. I truly do. There are people I know are good for a laugh when I am in pissy mood. Some who just know their shit musically. I love the board. As for it changing, well people come and go. The core has stuck. I have a group of favorite people, but everyone is packed with awesomeness™. There are people who frustrate me, but are important to the board none the less. This is the best board ever. I love that for the most part I can talk shit and people know that I am full of shit. I can call Wes a festering pile of dog poo who has zero good taste in music and although he knows it's true, he knows I meant it in the best possible way. Right Wes? I can tell Pete that Rockarma, Farrcry and Shotgun Alli combined don't come close to that pile of crap Bulletboys CD ZaZa. He knows it's true and respects my musical knowledge. Right Pete? I can tell Geoff that his obsession with my penis is unhealthy, but that doesn't keep him from loving it anyways. Right Geoff? So in conclusion, you people are the best group of people on any board I have ever been a member of. I am honored to be included in the mix and completely blown away at being chosen as the most favorite person here.

Disclaimer:The views expressed concerning certain people here are totally made up and ficticious. I upgraded Wes to dog poo. Haven't bothered listening to anything Pete has recorded, and think Geoff is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gay. Kisses darling. Also, this is the only board I have ever belong to.

I did not know that Zaza was so good. As soon as I sell my Rockarma CD on eBay I'm going to use the money to pick that one up. :woot:

I love you man. :wub:

...but what kind of example are you setting? ;)