Song of the Day

66 mustang

This song has grown on me more and more with each listen. One of my favourite songs of the year. The Midnight album is a real good one, for some pretty damn cool lyrics... especially for one of these synthwave albums;

One of my favourites, too.

I'm a huge fan of The Midnight and picked up their vinyl.

You mean you're still waiting on the vinyl.

Gunship is another synthwave group or duo I really enjoy and the vinyl is absolutely killer.

Here is a taste with an awesome video:

This album is perfect for those late night drives.

Holy shit! I'd watch that, if it was an actual show. Is Gunship mostly vocal? I love Electronic music, and so I don't mind instrumental songs, but Synthwave is at its best with vocals.

The s/t album from Gunship in 2015 had vocals on all tracks. It was solid, but to be honest I wasn't a huge fan. Far behind my other fave synthwave artists.

I'm not really getting this whole synthwave stuff....I mean basically youre just listening to pop music?

Yeah??

The Coldrain clip is cool. Jeez they'd get some crowds over there in Japan. I really hope they keep going on and on. An extremely enjoyable band.

This song has grown on me more and more with each listen. One of my favourite songs of the year. The Midnight album is a real good one, for some pretty damn cool lyrics... especially for one of these synthwave albums;

Gunship is another synthwave group or duo I really enjoy and the vinyl is absolutely killer.

Holy shit! I'd watch that, if it was an actual show. Is Gunship mostly vocal? I love Electronic music, and so I don't mind instrumental songs, but Synthwave is at its best with vocals.

The s/t album from Gunship in 2015 had vocals on all tracks. It was solid, but to be honest I wasn't a huge fan. Far behind my other fave synthwave artists.

I'm not really getting this whole synthwave stuff....I mean basically youre just listening to pop music?

Yeah??

No, not even slightly. As far as I have heard so far, it's more or less AOR. Seriously, no less "rock" than a lot of AOR artists I'm sure you value highly.

And out of curiosity, if it were pop (very unpopular pop), is there an issue with that?

But like I said, I see no similarity with pop... just basically AOR done electronically rather than with a band, though the artists I like all have a strong guitar presence.

Really? Every link or YT vid ive clicked on so far is just synths in the background. Yeah its pleasant enough but basically pop music. Not a problem no, but then again not really my style either.

Really? Every link or YT vid ive clicked on so far is just synths in the background. Yeah its pleasant enough but basically pop music. Not a problem no, but then again not really my style either.

Definitely synth heavy, obviously, as is a lot of AOR. But listen to Magic Dance or Kristine. Strong guitar presence on those two.

Definitely synth heavy, obviously, as is a lot of AOR. But listen to Magic Dance or Kristine. Strong guitar presence on those two.

Thanks for the suggestions Geoff. I've never heard of either Magic Dance or Kristine so they immediately go into the Need to Listen to playlist. I'm really enjoying the mix of synth and guitar in the Vanishings album. Sounds great.

I wouldn't consider it pop either. Much different vibe. Geoff explains it well.

• My Little Pony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VCf8WZsx3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1ZN8c4_Gs

Yeah??

Yes, and no. Synthwave is first and foremost Electronic music. It's influenced by the soundtracks of 80's film and TV programs, and video games. It can be heavy on the Electronic side, but a lot of what we are liking are the 80's Pop Rock, and AOR styled tunes. It's massively nostalgic, which is what I love about it.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Another one of the greatest ever voices.

https://youtu.be/UZm8SWBdEPQ

I prefer Kelly Hansen, except maybe Say You Will :D

That's a hard choice. As much as i love Kelly, i think the soulfulness of Lou's voice just puts him on top. Only just.

Here's a song I never really was able to get in to.

It was always OK, but I never understood the general love for it

For some reason after the concert the other night I was finally sold...

Weird because it's not through lack of hearing the song that I didn't dig it.

Must be a slight change to musical tastes of something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYDnQwi3OQ