First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Is that the new Farcry Line up? Which is Pete - In the Middle?

Didn't know you were in a power trio mate!!

:lol: That's just how we roll m'man... you've met me before, you know I'm the one on the left. ;)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That picture terrifies me.

New listens:

Toys - 'House of cards' ; hey guys, got some news for you... YOU SUCK! That's pretty much all there is to say on these guys. A decent effort from the guys if I'm being friendly, but if I'm being honest and blunt, this was bland, safe, boring AOR/hard rock. No great songs... nothing great at all. Just average.

Spoken - 'Last chance to breathe' ; Wow + Yum! They definitely work best on the uptempo numbers at the start of the album, and track 10 - brilliant tracks. But even the others are good too. This is a really good band and a great disc for fans of modern hard rock. Although not quite in the same league as Cauterize, I heard a few moments early on in this album that reminded me a little of Cauterize. Love the guy's voice too. Moody, like Davy Vain (not his voice but his style).

Spoken - 'Last chance to breathe' ; Wow + Yum! They definitely work best on the uptempo numbers at the start of the album, and track 10 - brilliant tracks. But even the others are good too. This is a really good band and a great disc for fans of modern hard rock. Although not quite in the same league as Cauterize, I heard a few moments early on in this album that reminded me a little of Cauterize. Love the guy's voice too. Moody, like Davy Vain (not his voice but his style).

Ive had this sitting at home for ages as a mate loves them and has been trying to get me to listen to it as he thought it would be in my area of modern rock id appreciate.

However ive hardly listened properly to it and really like what i hear in some bits, however the thing that annoys me is the overall messyness of it.

The songs (like alot of modern rock) seem to have no structure at all. its just all over the place and i just cant tell if im listening to a chorus, or some verse, or what.

Spoken - 'Last chance to breathe'

Ive had this sitting at home for ages as a mate loves them and has been trying to get me to listen to it as he thought it would be in my area of modern rock id appreciate.

However ive hardly listened properly to it and really like what i hear in some bits, however the thing that annoys me is the overall messyness of it.

The songs (like alot of modern rock) seem to have no structure at all. its just all over the place and i just cant tell if im listening to a chorus, or some verse, or what.

You suck. Your ears are broken. What modern rock are you listening to? A lot of it is better than a lot of current MHR for the sole reason that the choruses are so much bigger and noticable. As far as I recall from this morning's listen the choruses were pretty obvious. I'm going out for lunch now. I dare you to meet me so we can fight.

Bone Shaker - BANG...YOU'RE DEAD!!

First of all, I gotta say that it's a good thing that CDBaby didn't include a photo of this band in their listing for this CD, cuz I probably would've skipped it. Just check these Milwaukee dudes (and dudette) out:

DSC_3095_02sm.jpg

Musically, however, Bone Shaker are quite solid. BANG...YOU'RE DEAD! is 80s metal to the core, borrowing bits from Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, etc. but I'd guess that their major inspiration would be W.A.S.P. A lot of these songs sound like stuff from the first few W.A.S.P. discs. The weak link is the vocalist (David "Gonz" Gonzalez), whose voice isn't truly powerful enough to elevate this band beyond the "Eh, they're OK" stage. If they recruit a decent vocalist I'd say the next album would be worth investigating.

Not a bad buy for $5 (the price I paid for it @ CDBaby) but nothing earth-shattering either.

I heard good things about this band....Musically that is...picture wise.... :yikes:

If I had to guess their day jobs, I'd say (left to right): Prison guard, truck stop waitress, slacker. :lol:

But yea, seriously, decent enough band, they have chops, but the vocals need some work.

Correction : Meth Dealer, Diesel Dyke and Kindergarten Teacher/Pedophile.

Terra Nova - 'Escape' ; These guys suck, simply put. I don't mind them for whatever reason... but they do suck. It turns out I've heard what appears to be every song on this album on either 'Eye to eye' or their best of from a few years ago. As banal as melodic rock can be, these guys deliver it and I'm sad to say I'll probably never spin this again. :(

If I had to guess their day jobs, I'd say (left to right): Prison guard, truck stop waitress, slacker. :lol:

But yea, seriously, decent enough band, they have chops, but the vocals need some work.

Correction : Meth Dealer, Diesel Dyke and Kindergarten Teacher/Pedophile.

:rofl2:

That picture terrifies me.

New listens:

Toys - 'House of cards' ; hey guys, got some news for you... YOU SUCK! That's pretty much all there is to say on these guys. A decent effort from the guys if I'm being friendly, but if I'm being honest and blunt, this was bland, safe, boring AOR/hard rock. No great songs... nothing great at all. Just average.

Very average disc indeed, but 'One Step To Hell' is a great track - love the solo on that one. As I said in my little review, definately a 'B' list AOR disc at best

Saints of the Underground - "Love the sin, hate the sinner"

This is great stuff, catchy modern rock with Lane sounding awesome and the musicianship is top notch. I love the heavier approach of "signs of life" (wish it all had riffs like this) and the polished "Bruised" best, but there's little to fault here.

Junkfood - "Below the Charm"

F'ing killer modern pop/rock,sounding like a more polished 40 FT RINGO. Lush production, a great vocalist, and such instantly catchy choruses make this essential in this genre. Filler-free and with one of the best ever modern rock ballads ("Slow Goodbye"), if u own anything by bands like: simple plan, yellowcard, anberlin, 40 ft ringo, vertical horizon, etc. then DO NOT miss this gem.

This is great stuff, catchy modern rock with Lane sounding awesome and the musicianship is top notch. I love the heavier approach of "signs of life" (wish it all had riffs like this) and the polished "Bruised" best, but there's little to fault here.

F'ing killer modern pop/rock,sounding like a more polished 40 FT RINGO. Lush production, a great vocalist, and such instantly catchy choruses make this essential in this genre. Filler-free and with one of the best ever modern rock ballads ("Slow Goodbye"), if u own anything by bands like: simple plan, yellowcard, anberlin, 40 ft ringo, vertical horizon, etc. then DO NOT miss this gem.

Sadly, I'm kind of relieved you like the SOTU disc as I wasn't sure this would be your thing. As for Junkfood, did you only buy that one? I bought both their albums as soon as I heard the samples. :) I hope to have them late this week (maybe Monday due to Friday's public holiday). I really can't wait for these albums... even more so after your little review there.

Sadly, I'm kind of relieved you like the SOTU disc as I wasn't sure this would be your thing. As for Junkfood, did you only buy that one? I bought both their albums as soon as I heard the samples. :) I hope to have them late this week (maybe Monday due to Friday's public holiday). I really can't wait for these albums... even more so after your little review there.

Yeah the SOTU album is kinda like Jani Lane's "Back Down To One" solo disc, albeit better. Honestly you will love the JUNKFOOD, I am already regretting only ordering one of them! "Slow Goodbye" is the best ever Modern Rock ballad, amazing tune....

Stanfour - 'Wild Life'

Apart from the appalling title track this actually very good and is one of the better modern releases I have heard this year. Ive been spinning Simple Plan's s/t quite a bit over the past week and this reminds me of a lighter version, with maybe a touch of Matchbox 20/State of Man thrown in. The first 4 tracks are all winners - great chorus, good vocal. Esp the ballad 'Desperate' - great stuff. The album ends on a high with the first class 'Jane', and the equally impressive 'Crazy' and 'World in Silence'. I can see this getting regular spins.

DEATH ANGEL: "Killing Season"

OK, so they're not really a "thrash" band anymore, but this is still some really good straight-up heavy metal. Some of the riffs are just killer. Bigger production would have made this sound even better, but the production is plenty serviceable and lends it a bit of that oldschool feel. These guys are seasoned metal veterans, so by now they know how to make a good album, and that's exactly what they did.

The Stoned - S/T

Y'all know what a fanboy I am for Warrior Soul's Kory Clarke so of course I had to own this four tracker even if he's only the drummer on it. The Stoned are straight up no frills early 70s hard rock/metal -- think Humble Pie, MC5, the Stooges, hell, maybe even some Foghat and early Aerosmith (at their sleaziest). The guitar riffs got my head bobbin' and the lyrics (the ones I could make out at least, as the disc has no lyric sheet) had me laughin'. You've got to love a song title like "Drunk Drivers From Space" and the fact that the guitarist/vocalist calls himself "Scotty T. Dimebagger."

In a nutshell, this is simple, fun, hard rockin' stuff that's over too quick and leaves you wanting more. At only $5 from good ole CDBaby, you can't really go wrong. "Gas, grass, or ass - nobody rides for free!"

Sin Dealer - DYING TO LIVE

Yuck. Slow, boring, sludgy stoner rock that was a chore to get through. I don't mind the stoner/doom thing if the band occasionally revs up the tempo a little bit but these guys are like being stuck behind a slow poke car in the fast lane of the highway -- "come on, come on, STEP ON IT FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD!"

Oh, and they should be shot for the godawful cover AC/DC's "Walk All Over You." :puke:

Anyone want a free drink coaster? PM me and I'll send this P.O.S. your way. :lol:

Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again

Like a mix of Back for the Attack and Under Lock and Key this is a welcome return to the Classic Dokken sound. I heard the samples and a crappy promo of this with that stupid voice-over thing and couldn't decide what I really thought of these songs until I heard the real thing and let me say I'm very impressed. I had to check twice to make sure that George Lynch wasn't back in the band because Jon Levin pulls out every Lynch-ism(is that a word?) on this disc. For those that felt like Dokken would never make another great album then you need to check this out because it's the best thing they've done since "Back for the Attack" without a doubt. There really isn't any filler on this disc but my favs so far are "Sunset Superstar"(one of the best Dokken songs ever?), "This Fire", "Judgment Day", "Point of No Return", "Heart to Stone" and "Standing on the Outside". The song "Disease" seems to be causing a little controversy because it's a little "Modern" sounding but to be honest I like the song. I can see that this cd is gonna be one that I play over and over for many years to come.

Like a mix of Back for the Attack and Under Lock and Key this is a welcome return to the Classic Dokken sound. I heard the samples and a crappy promo of this with that stupid voice-over thing and couldn't decide what I really thought of these songs until I heard the real thing and let me say I'm very impressed. I had to check twice to make sure that George Lynch wasn't back in the band because Jon Levin pulls out every Lynch-ism(is that a word?) on this disc. For those that felt like Dokken would never make another great album then you need to check this out because it's the best thing they've done since "Back for the Attack" without a doubt. There really isn't any filler on this disc but my favs so far are "Sunset Superstar"(one of the best Dokken songs ever?), "This Fire", "Judgment Day", "Point of No Return", "Heart to Stone" and "Standing on the Outside". The song "Disease" seems to be causing a little controversy because it's a little "Modern" sounding but to be honest I like the song. I can see that this cd is gonna be one that I play over and over for many years to come.

Totally and completely backed even the part about liking "Disease". :beerbang:

• 2023 Gold Donors

..id love to hear Don & Co. do "Heart To Stone" and "Judgement Day" live'--great band,great songs,great album.

Alright...I'll join in on the fun...............

Black Tide ~ "Light from Above"

This just blew me away.......as I wasn't sure what to expect, but what I heard was excellent!!! Picture melodic metal melded with some hard rock with great melodies and a singer that, at times, has a Mark Slaughter vibe goin' on and you have Black Tide. Excellent guitar player with some cool solos and leads and the singer, and I think he's 14 sounds like a veteran. REALLY good stuff if you like your hard rock 'heavy' and your metal 'melodic' then these guys are for you.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Theory of a Deadman ~ "Scars and Souvenirs"

Another one that my 17 year old nephew told me to check out. At first I thought I was listening to Nickelback.....seriously....the resemblance is uncanny, and having never heard any of their prior material, I was amazed.

The vocalist actually has a 'smoother' voice than Chad Kroeger but 'sounds' like him. This is some good melodic modern hard rock in the Nickelback vein! Track 8, Bad Girlfriend sounded just like a Nickelback song I've heard before but it still RAWKED!!!

For fans of Nickelback and excellent modern rock this one is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Whitesnake ~ "Good to be Bad"

This is a WHALE of an album!!! Perhaps some of the best stuff I've heard from the 'Snake' in some time!!! Totally rockin' affair with some GREAT melodies with solos and leads you would expect from Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach!!! Simply an almost perfect album.....the only drawback being that Coverdale doesn't sound 25 anymore...LOL...but he still sounds very good!!! This is another great album and such a pleasure to see an 'old' band put out such a quality release!!! BUY THIS SUCKER!!!!

Sevendust - 'Chapter VII - Hope and sorrow' ; This should just be called 'Sorrow' as it is such sadsac music. I remember my brother listened to the band NOFX and he used to tell me about this album which was full-length, but only one track. This album (and most of their others) kind of reminds me of that. The songs just melt into each other and all sound pretty much the same to me. The Daughtry song was a nice change and the closing ballad was nice, but aside from that it was just dreary nu-metal as you'd expect from these guys. It'd have to be something amazing for me to bother listening to their next disc.

Sevendust - 'Chapter VII - Hope and sorrow' ; This should just be called 'Sorrow' as it is such sadsac music. I remember my brother listened to the band NOFX and he used to tell me about this album which was full-length, but only one track. This album (and most of their others) kind of reminds me of that. The songs just melt into each other and all sound pretty much the same to me. The Daughtry song was a nice change and the closing ballad was nice, but aside from that it was just dreary nu-metal as you'd expect from these guys. It'd have to be something amazing for me to bother listening to their next disc.

This is exactly what I thought of their last album. Thanks for the info, I'll pass on this one....

H.E.A.T - "S/T"

Europe-wannabees from Sweden making a so/so AOR album. There are a couple of really strong tunes, & I notice this is getting a fair bit of hype, but it's mostly forgettable stuff IMO. The vocals are weak & - whereas they really do sound a little like early Europe ("Final Countdown"-era) - it really wouldn't have stood out amongst stuff like Alien/Glory/Treat/Skagarack/Peo/Bad Habit/Talk of the Town/Big Talk etc etc in the Scandi AOR heydey. I notice Jim Jidhed's debut has just been remastered (with bonus cuts), & if you want top class Swedish AOR buy that instead. Oh, & with their coiffured hair/open shirts/bandanas etc, they look f***ing ridiculous in 2008.

This is exactly what I thought of their last album. Thanks for the info, I'll pass on this one....

Yeah, imo it's as bad as the last one (sorry Wes, and thanks for trying :D ). This style of music is dead to me.

Junkfood - 'No spade' ; This is a great band. I could tell right off that I will like these guys. I was picturing something a little more like Marvelous 3 or 40Ft Ringo (which in this case is a good thing), but these guys are far more discreet, if that makes sense. They don't go outright for the big instant pop anthems, but that's not to say their hooks are not just as big and infectious. These guys are delicious song writers with top-class choruses. I'm halfway through the next album and I still haven't heard a filler yet. This will be a band that will sustain excellence. Great stuff.

Yeah, imo it's as bad as the last one (sorry Wes, and thanks for trying :D ). This style of music is dead to me.

Junkfood - 'No spade' ; This is a great band. I could tell right off that I will like these guys. I was picturing something a little more like Marvelous 3 or 40Ft Ringo (which in this case is a good thing), but these guys are far more discreet, if that makes sense. They don't go outright for the big instant pop anthems, but that's not to say their hooks are not just as big and infectious. These guys are delicious song writers with top-class choruses. I'm halfway through the next album and I still haven't heard a filler yet. This will be a band that will sustain excellence. Great stuff.

Geoff, do you like the band Sick Puppies? Another band my nephew told me to get. It's pretty darn good!

Geoff, do you like the band Sick Puppies? Another band my nephew told me to get. It's pretty darn good!

I haven't heard them to be honest... even though I know the name. I'll check them out and let you know. Thanks for the heads up. :)

H.E.A.T - "S/T"

Europe-wannabees from Sweden making a so/so AOR album. There are a couple of really strong tunes, & I notice this is getting a fair bit of hype, but it's mostly forgettable stuff IMO. The vocals are weak & - whereas they really do sound a little like early Europe ("Final Countdown"-era) - it really wouldn't have stood out amongst stuff like Alien/Glory/Treat/Skagarack/Peo/Bad Habit/Talk of the Town/Big Talk etc etc in the Scandi AOR heydey. I notice Jim Jidhed's debut has just been remastered (with bonus cuts), & if you want top class Swedish AOR buy that instead. Oh, & with their coiffured hair/open shirts/bandanas etc, they look f***ing ridiculous in 2008.

I really like it :anon: (H.E.A.T. that is.....).