First Spin Impressions

JustJason

BROTHER FIRETRIBE - Heart Full of Fire

I know there's been a mixed reaction to this one, but for me this absolutely kicks dirt in the face of the debut album. It's slightly more poppy-AOR in it's approach & has less variety than "False Metal", but is also more consistent & the songs are undoubtedly stronger. "Wildest Dreams" is the best song of the year, full stop ( http://www.melodicrock.com/audio/BrotherFi...ldestDreams.mp3 ) & "Runaways" almost matches it for top song honours. Vuorinen's lead-guitar work really stands out on this, some of the solo's are utterly incredible, & the keyboard work is just lush throughout, & more prominent than before. The title-track is HUGE & is a duet with Annette Olzon of Nightwish, & the cover of Mike Reno's "Chasing the Angels" is another slice of glorious pomp/AOR. IMHO, after only one listen, this is running SKAGARACK's "Hungry For A Game" & EUROPE's "Out of this World" very close as being the best albums to ever come out of Scandinavia...

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mogg/Way-Chocolate Box. I bought this last week after reading a great review of it and

It has been played Daily since then. IMO it is hands down the BEST UFO album ever!!

Yes It is called Mogg/Way for contractual reasons, but it is really UFO. Totally ASS kicking,

Modern yet Classic in sound and Phil, Paul and Pete haven't sounded this inspired in 30

Years. Guitarist Jeff Kollman just absolutely RIPS and SHREDS yet uses his chops

to create Music not to show off...his textures and tone are some of the BEST I have ever heard..and I have heard a lot...Damn I'm sorry that I missed this when it was first released(1999)..but DAMN glad I got it!!! Great Stuff!!!

Got a few to speak of after the long weekend, will expand in their threads:

Whitesnake - 'Slide it in' ; In a word; Disappointing. I'd heard this was a mix of their bluesy side and their '1987' side. I didn't really hear any of their '1987' side. Even if it wasn't that bluesy, this sounds like it was recorded in 1979, not 1984. When compared to Ratt or Dokken from the same year... I don't know, this just sounds "dated", even more so than a 1984 album should. If that makes sense. There were some cool songs and it wasn't a bad album... just not really my thing at all.

Avantasia - 'The Scarecrow' ; Good stuff. 'Lost in space' and 'Carry me over' were amazing... the rest was okay to pretty good. Sounds like a lot of similar albums in this genre, but it was a good one.

Edguy - 'Mandrake' ; love the first song. The rest are sounding okay but this isn't close to matching 'Rocket ride'.

Edguy - 'Hellfire Club' ; Loved 'Lavatory Love Machine' but again, this album isn't nearly as good as 'Rocket ride', imo. Not as many great tracks as I was expecting... even if overall it's still a pretty cool album.

Pillar - 'For the love of the game' ; Sounds pretty damn good on first spin. I liked this a lot. Much better than their previous albums. The Skid Row copycat song kind of exposes them a little as being inferior to a great band... but aside from that it's still a very good CD.

Whitesnake - 'Slide it in' ; In a word; Disappointing. I'd heard this was a mix of their bluesy side and their '1987' side. I didn't really hear any of their '1987' side. Even if it wasn't that bluesy, this sounds like it was recorded in 1979, not 1984. When compared to Ratt or Dokken from the same year... I don't know, this just sounds "dated", even more so than a 1984 album should. If that makes sense. There were some cool songs and it wasn't a bad album... just not really my thing at all.

We are no longer friends. ;)

Seriously what about "Love aint No Stranger", "Slide it In", "Guilty of Love", "Standing in the Shadow", and "Slow an' Easy"? Surely you liked those songs. :unsure:

Seriously what about "Love aint No Stranger", "Slide it In", "Guilty of Love", "Standing in the Shadow", and "Slow an' Easy"? Surely you liked those songs. :unsure:

They were okay...

... for 70's sounding songs.

We may no longer be friends, but cousins we remain.

They were okay...

... for 70's sounding songs.

We may no longer be friends, but cousins we remain.

Blood is thicker than Bluesy Hard Rock?

If you heard the previous albums you'd hear how much of a growth "Slide it In" was for 'Snake.

And it was this album that broke them in the US and most everywhere else in the world.

I can understand that being as you heard it after "1987". I heard it first when they used to show vids for Slow and Easy on some weird UHF station called U62 or U64 or something like that... Keef, you remember that station at all? I think they used to play a Thor video too... :blink:

That's still one of my favorite 'snake albums, almost as much if not dead even with 1987. That being said I can't argue with any of your reasoning, it DEFINITELY sounds nothing like the later releases, but more like a good 70's band as you say.

I can understand that being as you heard it after "1987". I heard it first when they used to show vids for Slow and Easy on some weird UHF station called U62 or U64 or something like that... Keef, you remember that station at all? I think they used to play a Thor video too... :blink:

That's still one of my favorite 'snake albums, almost as much if not dead even with 1987. That being said I can't argue with any of your reasoning, it DEFINITELY sounds nothing like the later releases, but more like a good 70's band as you say.

'Slide It In' is a Killer album and after 'Come An Get It' probably my fave Whitesnake album. I always play both versions when I spin it as I like hearing the difference between Mel Galley and Sykes playing.

Edguy - 'Mandrake' ; love the first song. The rest are sounding okay but this isn't close to matching 'Rocket ride'.

Edguy - 'Hellfire Club' ; Loved 'Lavatory Love Machine' but again, this album isn't nearly as good as 'Rocket ride', imo. Not as many great tracks as I was expecting... even if overall it's still a pretty cool album.

Have you heard Theater Of Salvation? Wee doggy that's a good one. You like my wannabe southern accent?

'Slide It In' is a Killer album and after 'Come An Get It' probably my fave Whitesnake album. I always play both versions when I spin it as I like hearing the difference between Mel Galley and Sykes playing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was the Galley version that was released in Europe/UK and the Sykes version over here in the US, right?

I didn't even know that there were two different versions until I read it in Classic Rock a few years ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was the Galley version that was released in Europe/UK and the Sykes version over here in the US, right?

I didn't even know that there were two different versions until I read it in Classic Rock a few years ago.

Just want to confirm, guys, I definitely don't dislike the album. I spun it again and probably will a few times. As I said, I was just a little disappointed as you guys probably all know my stance on 70's music in general. As I said in one of my replies to Wes, it's good... for a 70's disc. :) The vintage vibe is kind of fun, but I admit I would prefer it to sound a little more like Ratt or Dokken from that era.

Just spun:

Armor For Sleep - 'Smile for them' ; This was a surprise for me. These guys released two albums in 2003 and 2005 and then I thought they broke up. No bad songs, but nothing amazing either, except for one single standout track - 'Car underwater'. Fast forward to 2007 and they released a new disc! So what to expect of the new album? Were they finally going to break out and release something wild?

Well, they haven't... but what they did do was release what is easily their best album so far. These guys border on something pop-ish, but always manage to keep it in line and I imagine these guys have a lot of respect in the modern rock field. They manage to be catchy, with good solid choruses... but never get too sugar coated. I haven't a bad word to say about this album. Very strong songs and whilst these guys won't appeal to many here, they have impressed me with this new album.

Spot on Wes. The US version was advertised as the US Remix over here and has quite a few noticeable differences (Besides Sykes) compared to the UK Version. Don't know which I prefer, as I had the UK version way way before the US one. I remember hearing it for the first time and going WTF have they done to it! but subsequent spins over the years, I have grown to like it pretty much equally.

Spot on Wes. The US version was advertised as the US Remix over here and has quite a few noticeable differences (Besides Sykes) compared to the UK Version. Don't know which I prefer, as I had the UK version way way before the US one. I remember hearing it for the first time and going WTF have they done to it! but subsequent spins over the years, I have grown to like it pretty much equally.

Great album, probably my favorite one from Whitesnake, I think it's aged a little better than '1987'. Still remember them opening for Dio on the 'Last In Line' tour in a great outdoor show with the lineup of Coverdale/Sykes/Murray/Airey and I'm pretty sure Cozy Powell on drums.

I'm kinda with you on that one. I got into them with "1987" & just couldn't get into the earlier stuff (on record at least). Though it's only when you see them live - which I did twice in 2006 and once last year - that you realise how good the songs actually are when they play them now, better 'live anthems' than a lot of the stuff off "1987" in fact. Even "Judgement Day" (off "Slip of the Tongue", a tune that doesn't do much for me on CD) is a totally KILLER live tune....

That was the sadly short lived indie music channel "U-68," Pete, and yes, I fondly remember seeing the "Slow and Easy" vid and many others on their nightly "METAL POWER HOUR" show. They used to open the show with that Thor guy announcing, "IT'S THE POWAH HOUR!!! YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!" then he'd stick an iron bar in his teeth and bend it. Hilarious. I was SUPER pissed one day when I turned that channel on expecting to watch some metal videos only to find out that the channel had turned into a Home Shopping Network overnight without warning... :(

But back on topic: Whitesnake's "Slide It In" is superior to "1987" in every way, shape, and/or form. How can you not love the subtlety of lyrics like "Spit It Out if you don't like it?" :lol:

But back on topic: Whitesnake's "Slide It In" is superior to "1987" in every way, shape, and/or form. How can you not love the subtlety of lyrics like "Spit It Out if you don't like it?" :lol:

Backed!! Slide It In is a Classic release..I think Geoff doesn't like it cause it's Very Bluesy..

and If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't like the Blues..Geoff is this So??

That was the sadly short lived indie music channel "U-68," Pete, and yes, I fondly remember seeing the "Slow and Easy" vid and many others on their nightly "METAL POWER HOUR" show. They used to open the show with that Thor guy announcing, "IT'S THE POWAH HOUR!!! YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!" then he'd stick an iron bar in his teeth and bend it. Hilarious. I was SUPER pissed one day when I turned that channel on expecting to watch some metal videos only to find out that the channel had turned into a Home Shopping Network overnight without warning... :(

Very few sexual references in any of the song titles from Slide It In... ;)

...and BTW.... Thor RULES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thor_anthorlogy.jpg

Very few sexual references in any of the song titles from Slide It In... ;)

...and BTW.... Thor RULES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thor_anthorlogy.jpg

Backed...THOR Rocks..... :beerbang:

Atreyu-THE CURSE. After being blown away by Lead Sails, I thought I'd pick up

some of their earlier releases. The Curse is much more Screamo blunted than the

Popmetaltastic Lead Sails..still the same formula just much more harsher and not in

a good way...I don't like it near as much..oh well...

Backed!! Slide It In is a Classic release..I think Geoff doesn't like it cause it's Very Bluesy..

I hate the blues, but I do like good bluesy hard rock bands if they do it well. Eg. Great White or Tattoo Rodeo etc. As noted above, I don't hate the Whitesnake disc - it's just not really my thing.

Popmetaltastic Lead Sails..still the same formula just much more harsher and not in

Hey Eric, the only Atreyu release worth checking out before 'Lead sails...' is the 2006 release before that one - 'A death grip on yesterday'. That was the first release they held back on the screamo vocals and it's actually a very good album. I think any fan of 'Lead sails...' would dig it. I love both albums but none of their earlier stuff at all.

Fisc - 'Too hot for love' ; very cool hard rock disc. A nice ballad, cool hard rock songs. It's nothing special, but it's good stuff. Not a bad word to say about it... except maybe a little basic. :)

I hate the blues, but I do like good bluesy hard rock bands if they do it well. Eg. Great White or Tattoo Rodeo etc. As noted above, I don't hate the Whitesnake disc - it's just not really my thing.

Hey Eric, the only Atreyu release worth checking out before 'Lead sails...' is the 2006 release before that one - 'A death grip on yesterday'. That was the first release they held back on the screamo vocals and it's actually a very good album. I think any fan of 'Lead sails...' would dig it. I love both albums but none of their earlier stuff at all.

Backed. "A Death Grip...." is a real solid disc, but "The Curse" is 100% screamo (which I kinda like). Eric, you really need to get the new CHILDREN OF BODOM "Blooddrunk", man this thing is awesome... :banger:

Backed. "A Death Grip...." is a real solid disc, but "The Curse" is 100% screamo (which I kinda like). Eric, you really need to get the new CHILDREN OF BODOM "Blooddrunk", man this thing is awesome... :banger:

A Death Grip..I'll check that one out..Thanks for the tips Guys..

Tim I have heard great things about the New COB so yes I'm gonna get that A.S.A.P

Thanks!! :banger:

BROTHER FIRETRIBE - Heart Full of Fire

I know there's been a mixed reaction to this one, but for me this absolutely kicks dirt in the face of the debut album. It's slightly more poppy-AOR in it's approach & has less variety than "False Metal", but is also more consistent & the songs are undoubtedly stronger. "Wildest Dreams" is the best song of the year, full stop ( http://www.melodicrock.com/audio/BrotherFi...ldestDreams.mp3 ) & "Runaways" almost matches it for top song honours. Vuorinen's lead-guitar work really stands out on this, some of the solo's are utterly incredible, & the keyboard work is just lush throughout, & more prominent than before. The title-track is HUGE & is a duet with Annette Olzon of Nightwish, & the cover of Mike Reno's "Chasing the Angels" is another slice of glorious pomp/AOR. IMHO, after only one listen, this is running SKAGARACK's "Hungry For A Game" & EUROPE's "Out of this World" very close as being the best albums to ever come out of Scandinavia...

IMO Heart Full Of Fire pisses on Hungry For A Game. Period.

Choirboys - 'Midnight Sun' ; after seven years of Matt begging me to try this album out I finally put the little emo kid out of his misery. I'm only halfway through but I have to admit this is pretty decent. A few fillers and it won't be an all-time fave, but there are some good songs here. 'Place With No Love' is just beautiful. Are their other albums any good?

Choirboys - 'Midnight Sun' ; after seven years of Matt begging me to try this album out I finally put the little emo kid out of his misery. I'm only halfway through but I have to admit this is pretty decent. A few fillers and it won't be an all-time fave, but there are some good songs here. 'Place With No Love' is just beautiful. Are their other albums any good?

Where are the fillers??? That is a totally unAussie comment...