First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Saints of the Underground-Love the Sin, Hate the Sinner

After hearing samples I wasn't to sure about this one but someone was cool enough to let me hear the whole cd and after one full listen I loved it so much I just ordered it. It's shameful that a Major Label isn't releasing this cd. This cd should be in every major retailer including Best Buy, Walmart and Target and there are quite a few songs that would not be out of place on radio today. "Signs of Life" has major potential to be a massive hit on Rock Radio as does "Tomorrow Never Comes". There's also many others that have possible top 40 potential like "Dead Mans Shoes", "Bruised" and maybe even the Tom Petty cover "American Girl", which could go nicely on a movie soundtrack. Big props to Jani, Kerri, Bobby and Robbie for coming up with a collection of songs that should appeal to both 80's rock fans and Modern Rock fans. In a perfect world this would sell two million copies, but in reality will probably sell 10,000 if they're lucky, either way every Melodic Rock fan should own this cd so if you don't go to cdbaby.com and order it it's only $11.99 which is a steal IMO.

I missed commenting in this thread because I went straight to the thread on this band to comment first, but I pretty much agree 100% with this. Great rock n' roll disc. 'Dead man's shoes' and 'Bruised' are my early faves.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hearing samples I wasn't to sure about this one but someone was cool enough to let me hear the whole cd and after one full listen I loved it so much I just ordered it. It's shameful that a Major Label isn't releasing this cd. This cd should be in every major retailer including Best Buy, Walmart and Target and there are quite a few songs that would not be out of place on radio today. "Signs of Life" has major potential to be a massive hit on Rock Radio as does "Tomorrow Never Comes". There's also many others that have possible top 40 potential like "Dead Mans Shoes", "Bruised" and maybe even the Tom Petty cover "American Girl", which could go nicely on a movie soundtrack. Big props to Jani, Kerri, Bobby and Robbie for coming up with a collection of songs that should appeal to both 80's rock fans and Modern Rock fans. In a perfect world this would sell two million copies, but in reality will probably sell 10,000 if they're lucky, either way every Melodic Rock fan should own this cd so if you don't go to cdbaby.com and order it it's only $11.99 which is a steal IMO.

I missed commenting in this thread because I went straight to the thread on this band to comment first, but I pretty much agree 100% with this. Great rock n' roll disc. 'Dead man's shoes' and 'Bruised' are my early faves.

"Signs of Life" is my fav so far but all of them are good songs. :tumbsup:

Late Night Romeo-HORRIBLE LUST.Wow..I must say this release really took me by surprise. I was totally excepcting an average sound but I'll be damned these guys kick MAJOR ASS!! Great Riffs and hook's abound my only complaint (if any) is the singers heavy german(?) accent. That aside this is GREAT STUFF!!!

Blue Tears - the innocent ones

Firstly i dont see how this is a Blue Tears album. I cant hear anything Blue Tears about it. This is either a Fulkerson solo album, or the leftover demos from Attraction 65.

Having said that i think Fulkerson is a great musician, however this isnt a great album. The first track "Drive" is cool. There are a few in the middle that are decent. And i like the final ballad. Otherwise there are alot of filler and forgettable stuff on here. Alot of the tracks sound the same. There are a few songs that given some time will grow nicely. Would like to see some more Blue Tears/Fulkerson/Attraction 65 music in future.. but this just sounds like there was no real desire to make it. Maybe the label said to Fulkerson "hey can we release some recent demos as Blue Tears?". Also how can it be Blue Tears... theres only 1 member on the album!

Myland - No Man's Land

WOW - Most excellent AOR from Italy. The singer really reminds me of Hugo in places, and the whole band has that Journey'ish tinge to them, without being copyists. Some really strong songs on this one from the excellent opener 'Anytime' to the rather marvellous 'Running In The Night' and awesome closer 'Prisoner Of Love'. A couple of fillers maybe in the middle, but pretty damned great throughout it's 50 odd minutes. Italy has never been known for many bands before, but bugger me if This And the marvellous Eva - Blue albums won't be far off come years end. All the AOR mafia members, check this one out pronto.

Heard Myland yesterday for the first time.

WOW ! I can only agree with Jez on this one !!! (Actually I usually do ...... !)

AWESOME CD !! AWESOME !! :guitbannana:

I hadn't seen the thread on this one but I've got this one on order. Have never used cdbaby before but they were the only place that had the JUNKFOOD CD I wanted so I ordered both.... On listening to the soundbytes "Bruised" is gonna be my fave tune....

I hadn't seen the thread on this one but I've got this one on order. Have never used cdbaby before but they were the only place that had the JUNKFOOD CD I wanted so I ordered both.... On listening to the soundbytes "Bruised" is gonna be my fave tune....

That's 'cause it's the best song! :)

Peo - 'Look what I've started' ; Wow. Don't know how I missed out on this for so many years, but I'm glad to see it's finally at home in my collection. This is great typical European melodic rock. Reminds me of a cross between FM's 'Tough it out' and 220 Volt's 'Eye to eye'. If that doesn't say it all, what I mean to say is that this disc is great. Loved pretty much every song.

Panik - 'A page torn' ; Two great songs in 'Gear girl' and 'Die for you' and some of the others are pretty damn good too. Not a great CD by any means, but good, solid stuff.

Donots - 'Coma Chameleon' ; I have to admit this was kind of a letdown. I was honestly expected Donots to match Story of the Year this year, in terms of monster albums. I saw talk about a new sound while keeping the traditional style. I thought this would be amazing. Well, it is good and there are several great tracks, but overall there were just too many standard/average tracks. I feel as though this was really their time to either make it to some extent, or just fade. I think this will assist the latter. As I said, a good disc and like 'Got the noise' there are moments of greatness with some great tunes. Overall, though, it was disappointing. Not a scratch on 'Pocketrock' or 'Amplify the good times'.

Peo - 'Look what I've started' ; Wow. Don't know how I missed out on this for so many years, but I'm glad to see it's finally at home in my collection. This is great typical European melodic rock. Reminds me of a cross between FM's 'Tough it out' and 220 Volt's 'Eye to eye'. If that doesn't say it all, what I mean to say is that this disc is great. Loved pretty much every song.

Yeah that's a top class CD, I remember reviewing it for Frontiers mag years ago & getting tons of letters from people as I'd compared it to Skagarack & no-one else seemed to think it was as good as they are. I stand by it being a great disc, with "Could This Be Love" being a masterpiece of AOR.

Testament-THE FORMATION OF DAMNATION. Somebody needs to send a copy of this release

to Metallica and make them sit and listen to it, get that shrink they had in "Some Kind a Monster",

after the CD has played a few times the "shrink" needs to rip metallica a new asshole and tell them

'Boys This is How it's Done!! Testament pull out all the stops on this one and I think it's the best

most complete thing they have EVER DONE!!! Alex and Eric lock into some of the best Riffs

in a long time and Billy sounds pissed. Alex is on Fire IMO..I can't say enough about this CD!!!

A MUST Have IMO!!!!!

I think it's the best

most complete thing they have EVER DONE!!!

Wow, you must seriously like this... Better than "The Legacy"?

Testament-THE FORMATION OF DAMNATION. Somebody needs to send a copy of this release

to Metallica and make them sit and listen to it, get that shrink they had in "Some Kind a Monster",

after the CD has played a few times the "shrink" needs to rip metallica a new asshole and tell them

'Boys This is How it's Done!! Testament pull out all the stops on this one and I think it's the best

most complete thing they have EVER DONE!!! Alex and Eric lock into some of the best Riffs

in a long time and Billy sounds pissed. Alex is on Fire IMO..I can't say enough about this CD!!!

A MUST Have IMO!!!!!

Great idea to have 'Tallica listen to it. :lol:

I think Eric said when "The Gathering" came out if every Metallica fan that was pissed off in their change in sound would just listen to the new Testament album(The Gathering) then they'd pick up many new fans.

Sacred Heart - 'Shake' ; Great band, great songs. What a shame no one has signed these guys. This is the second very strong release from these guys. I don't understand why bands like these guys and U-Turn can't get a deal when you see the amount of below average releases out there. These guys are like a better version of Skyhigh or Black Rain. Also similar to U-Turn. All obscure bands, I guess, but that's who they remind me of.

Scary Kids Scaring Kids - s/t ; I heard their debut a few years ago and liked what I heard. A nice mix of Hawthorne Heights and and just a slight touch of Silverstein. I liked it... but didn't love it. I kind of lost interest in the band to be honest, until an opportunity to buy their first album and their 2007 release for about $4 each came up. So I did it. The 12th track on this was their best yet - killer hard rock song. The rest was pretty much as per the debut. Good, solid Hawthorne Heights styled modern rock. I like these guys but they're not essential.

I think Eric said when "The Gathering" came out if every Metallica fan that was pissed off in their change in sound would just listen to the new Testament album(The Gathering) then they'd pick up many new fans.

Very true. Plus it would be nice to see people steer clear of Metallica to hit them where they care (i.e, their bank balance) if they're going to continuously put out inferior product.

Sevendust-Chapter VII: Hope & Sorrow

I had high expectations when I read that Clint Lowery had returned to the band but it looks like that Sonny Majo had actually played on this before leaving or being fired. It's a solid album and better than "Next" IMO but not as butt-kicking as last years "Alpha". The lead off track "Inside" is really good but not near as good as some of their other lead tracks have been and it takes over a full minute to get going due to a stupid intro of cymbals and feedback. Second track "Enough" is a Sevendust by number rock song, not horrible but nothing mind blowing either. Track 3 "Hope" is another solid song but it's track 4 "Scapegoat" that is the first great song on the album. "Past" is a good ballad and maybe has some single potential especially considering it has Chris Daughtry on it, as does "Prodigal Son", which is the first single. Other standout songs are "Sorrow" which feature Alter Bridge vocalist Myles Kennedy and might be the best song on the disc, "Lifeless", and "Contradiction". Being a Sevendust fan since the first album in 1997 sometimes I'm a little critical of this band but as I listen to this now for the second time it is a good album but not as good as their "Animosity", "Seasons" or the self-titled debut. It would be interesting if they'd bring Butch Walker back to help produce and write another album like he did with "Seasons" as long as they didn't leave out the five or six bone-crushing heavy tracks they usually have. If I could compare this disc with any other it would be "Animosity"(My fav Sevendsut release), which is excellent company to be in but like I said a few sentences up its just not as good as that album.

IN FLAMES: "A Sense of Purpose"

A change in direction for this heavy metal band finds them doing the "clean" vocal thing much more rather than the near-constant screaming of previous albums, and also finds them focusing a lot of attention on the choruses, which are instant, accessible, and fairly catchy. But make no mistake, while this may be more commercialized than their earlier CDs, it's still very much a heavy metal album; it's not like they're suddenly going to appeal to Foreigner fans or those who like their rock "pink & fluffy." The production is massive, which is pretty standard for modern metal bands, delivering a big, full, thick sound that's polished in all the right places. I can see this appealing to people who enjoy the more commercial side of modern heavy metal, those who are into bands like Trivium, Soilwork, Demon Hunter, Bullet For My Valentine, etc. Those who are into more "serious" heavy/thrash metal like Machinehead, Job For A Cowboy, and bands of that nature will probably be a little less than impressed.

I had high expectations when I read that Clint Lowery had returned to the band but it looks like that Sonny Majo had actually played on this before leaving or being fired. It's a solid album and better than "Next" IMO but not as butt-kicking as last years "Alpha". The lead off track "Inside" is really good but not near as good as some of their other lead tracks have been and it takes over a full minute to get going due to a stupid intro of cymbals and feedback. Second track "Enough" is a Sevendust by number rock song, not horrible but nothing mind blowing either. Track 3 "Hope" is another solid song but it's track 4 "Scapegoat" that is the first great song on the album. "Past" is a good ballad and maybe has some single potential especially considering it has Chris Daughtry on it, as does "Prodigal Son", which is the first single. Other standout songs are "Sorrow" which feature Alter Bridge vocalist Myles Kennedy and might be the best song on the disc, "Lifeless", and "Contradiction". Being a Sevendust fan since the first album in 1997 sometimes I'm a little critical of this band but as I listen to this now for the second time it is a good album but not as good as their "Animosity", "Seasons" or the self-titled debut. It would be interesting if they'd bring Butch Walker back to help produce and write another album like he did with "Seasons" as long as they didn't leave out the five or six bone-crushing heavy tracks they usually have. If I could compare this disc with any other it would be "Animosity"(My fav Sevendsut release), which is excellent company to be in but like I said a few sentences up its just not as good as that album.

So if I thought 'Alpha' sucked I shouldn't even bother with this one?

So if I thought 'Alpha' sucked I shouldn't even bother with this one?

No not at all. It's not really that much like "Alpha" which was closer to the debut, but more like "Seasons" meets "Animosity". The reason I liked "Alpha" so much is because it was the closest thing they've done to the debut as far as heaviness goes. The songs with Daughtry and Myles Kennedy are both amazing. :tumbsup:

Michael Bormann - Capture the Moment

After being very critical of the last few Bormann related projects I didn't have high hopes for this but after one spin I'm impressed big time. This is better than the last few Bormann albums put together and better than the last two Bormann-less Jaded Heart albums put together. There is absolutley no filler on this cd and there are at least six classic songs on this disc. The first 7 songs just knocked me over. This one gets a huge thumbs up from me and all Jaded Heart fans should love this. The top songs imo are "When Push Comes to Shove", "Friends of a Lifetime", "Come take me Higher", "Live your Life", "I Wanna Hear Your Voice"(maybe the best ballad I've heard this year), "Half Way Down", "I Will Hold the Line"(my fav song on the disc) and the amazing acoustic ballad "Go Going Gone" that proves what an amazing voice Bormann has.

DEICIDE - Till Death Do Us Part (containing free 'Glen Benton for President' patch :lol: )

HEAVY.AS.FUCK

STORY OF THE YEAR - The Black Swan

Good solid Alternative/Metalcore here, with catchy choruses. Kinda like Alter Bridge crossed-with The Used. Their last album was better though, & they constantly kill the bloody momentum with acoustic breaks & crap ballads. But this is a decent listen, & some of the riffs are mighty (as are the vocals). This one might grow on me....

Bone Shaker - BANG...YOU'RE DEAD!!

First of all, I gotta say that it's a good thing that CDBaby didn't include a photo of this band in their listing for this CD, cuz I probably would've skipped it. Just check these Milwaukee dudes (and dudette) out:

DSC_3095_02sm.jpg

Musically, however, Bone Shaker are quite solid. BANG...YOU'RE DEAD! is 80s metal to the core, borrowing bits from Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, etc. but I'd guess that their major inspiration would be W.A.S.P. A lot of these songs sound like stuff from the first few W.A.S.P. discs. The weak link is the vocalist (David "Gonz" Gonzalez), whose voice isn't truly powerful enough to elevate this band beyond the "Eh, they're OK" stage. If they recruit a decent vocalist I'd say the next album would be worth investigating.

Not a bad buy for $5 (the price I paid for it @ CDBaby) but nothing earth-shattering either.

First of all, I gotta say that it's a good thing that CDBaby didn't include a photo of this band in their listing for this CD, cuz I probably would've skipped it. Just check these Milwaukee dudes (and dudette) out:

DSC_3095_02sm.jpg

Musically, however, Bone Shaker are quite solid. BANG...YOU'RE DEAD! is 80s metal to the core, borrowing bits from Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, etc. but I'd guess that their major inspiration would be W.A.S.P. A lot of these songs sound like stuff from the first few W.A.S.P. discs. The weak link is the vocalist (David "Gonz" Gonzalez), whose voice isn't truly powerful enough to elevate this band beyond the "Eh, they're OK" stage. If they recruit a decent vocalist I'd say the next album would be worth investigating.

Not a bad buy for $5 (the price I paid for it @ CDBaby) but nothing earth-shattering either.

I heard good things about this band....Musically that is...picture wise.... :yikes:

DSC_3095_02sm.jpg

I heard good things about this band....Musically that is...picture wise.... :yikes:

If I had to guess their day jobs, I'd say (left to right): Prison guard, truck stop waitress, slacker. :lol:

But yea, seriously, decent enough band, they have chops, but the vocals need some work.

DSC_3095_02sm.jpg

If I had to guess their day jobs, I'd say (left to right): Prison guard, truck stop waitress, slacker. :lol:

But yea, seriously, decent enough band, they have chops, but the vocals need some work.

Purdy...

DSC_3095_02sm.jpg

:rofl2: I'd say their Day Jobs were...Fry Cook, Truck Driver, Parolee..

Is that the new Farcry Line up? Which is Pete - In the Middle?

Didn't know you were in a power trio mate!!