First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Icon - S/T

I think the one and only time I ever heard Icon back in the day was seeing their video for "On Your Feet" once (and ONLY once) on MTV. Twenty-some-odd years later I finally get hold of the album with that track on it, and it's pretty well what I expected to hear... cheezetastic 1980s anthem rock! The singer sounds like he could be Ron Keel's twin brother. Seriously, this is some pretty cool stuff, it sounds dated as hell now of course but if I'd bought this album in 1983 or '84 (whenever the hell it came out) I'm sure I would've been pimping this band to everyone I knew at the time.

(Thanx H&H)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icon - S/T

I think the one and only time I ever heard Icon back in the day was seeing their video for "On Your Feet" once (and ONLY once) on MTV. Twenty-some-odd years later I finally get hold of the album with that track on it, and it's pretty well what I expected to hear... cheezetastic 1980s anthem rock! The singer sounds like he could be Ron Keel's twin brother. Seriously, this is some pretty cool stuff, it sounds dated as hell now of course but if I'd bought this album in 1983 or '84 (whenever the hell it came out) I'm sure I would've been pimping this band to everyone I knew at the time.

(Thanx H&H)

:lol: I love that album, specifically because it is so unapologetically cheez-o-licious!

Icon - S/T

(Thanx H&H)

Glad you like it. I kind of figured you'd like that one more than the other Icon's I sent you.

And your spot on with the Keel reference and that might be why I love it so much. :headbanger:

Icon - S/T

(Thanx H&H)

Glad you like it. I kind of figured you'd like that one more than the other Icon's I sent you.

And your spot on with the Keel reference and that might be why I love it so much. :headbanger:

I haven't gotten to the other Icons yet but when I do I'll post my thoughts. :tumbsup:

Icon - S/T

(Thanx H&H)

:lol: I love that album, specifically because it is so unapologetically cheez-o-licious!

It's super-fantasticly cheez-o-liciously Great IMO... :banger:

Icon - S/T

(Thanx H&H)

That album kicks my ass.

Icon - S/T

(Thanx H&H)

That album kicks my ass.

My favorite ICON album that disc just kicks ass, it doesn't get much better than World War.

Icon - S/T

(Thanx H&H)

That album kicks my ass.

My favorite ICON album that disc just kicks ass, it doesn't get much better than World War.

Yeah that song kicks ass and so does "Holy Mans War" from the Right Between the Eyes album.

For some reason they were good at writing songs about war. :banger:

Icon - S/T

(Thanx H&H)

That album kicks my ass.

Yeah that song kicks ass and so does "Holy Mans War" from the Right Between the Eyes album.

And 'Under my gun' is metal bliss.

Icon - S/T

(Thanx H&H)

That album kicks my ass.

And 'Under my gun' is metal bliss.

:headbanger:

Idle Cure - eclipse

Been looking forward to this for quite some time. The first few tracks picks off nicely from Inside Out. Id just been listening to the first few tracks of this over and over and was struggling with it not being as good as Inside Out. Finally i listened to the entire thing and it really picks up on the 2nd half of the CD. Its not that tracks at the start are bad, as theyre good, just not the best song order. Although it doesnt quite have one or two of the great songs from Inside Out its as good as Inside Out overall.. maybe even a little better.

Enuff Znuff - s/t

This is my 3rd Enuff Znuff album. I absolutly love strength , and then went on to Animals... which was great , but overall not as good as Strength. After my first listen of ST... not much of an opinion. I just dont remember the songs. Similar vibe to strength but just nothing captured me straight away. Fly High Michelle was good and its all i recall, but it wasnt the killer song i thought it would be.

Enuff Znuff - s/t

This is my 3rd Enuff Znuff album. I absolutly love strength , and then went on to Animals... which was great , but overall not as good as Strength. After my first listen of ST... not much of an opinion. I just dont remember the songs. Similar vibe to strength but just nothing captured me straight away. Fly High Michelle was good and its all i recall, but it wasnt the killer song i thought it would be.

It's also not as good as 'I could never be without you'.

Enuff Znuff - s/t

The debut was and is an excellent album but I'll agree that "Strength" is better and is one of my fav cds from the early 90's. There really isn't a bad track on "Strength".

Enuff Znuff - s/t

The debut was and is an excellent album but I'll agree that "Strength" is better and is one of my fav cds from the early 90's. There really isn't a bad track on "Strength".

I gotta say the S/T is a Classic...Damn great release IMO!!!

Enuff Znuff - I just dont remember the songs.

That's almost my exact thoughts on these guys. When listening they're pretty good albums, but once I put it away there's not anything calling me back to have another listen.

I actually have quite a soft spot for 'Tweaked'. Not one I usually see on peoples favourites list, but i like this one.

Hell n Diesel - Passion For Power

One of the discs I've been after since mid last year, and some great gritty, dirty scandi rock. Not as glam oriented as a lot of the other scandi acts hitting it big at the moment, but 100% sleaze fueled rock.

Combine Corabi era Motley, with Sebastian Bach solo material, and add equal measures of Backyard Babies and Airbourne and you get Hell n Diesel.

Crazy Lixx - Silent Majority

Very melodic compared to the stuff I usually listen too, but pure 80's hair metal. Absolutely brilliant. I can see how this appeals to every one from you local sleaze merchant thru to your aor purist.

I was trying to think of a good comparison and.... Geoff, would I be far off saying 'Teargas'? Okay, it's more polished and a bigger sound, but the closest I can come to a comparison if Teargas 'Crazy' ep.

Very melodic compared to the stuff I usually listen too, but pure 80's hair metal. Absolutely brilliant. I can see how this appeals to every one from you local sleaze merchant thru to your aor purist.

I was trying to think of a good comparison and.... Geoff, would I be far off saying 'Teargas'? Okay, it's more polished and a bigger sound, but the closest I can come to a comparison if Teargas 'Crazy' ep.

I guess in portions there is a slight Teargas feel to it, on the more melodic tracks obviously. I'm still waiting for my copy to finally arrive. :(

I guess in portions there is a slight Teargas feel to it, on the more melodic tracks obviously. I'm still waiting for my copy to finally arrive. :(

I haven't heard the Teargas and to be honest have never heard of them before but I do like the Crazy Lixx stuff especially the more Sleazy stuff.

I haven't heard the Teargas and to be honest have never heard of them before but I do like the Crazy Lixx stuff especially the more Sleazy stuff.

Teargas have a sound similar to the melodic side of Crazy Lixx - not really a sleazy sound.

Dig up the Teargas EP 'Crazy'. However, if you see Teargas 'Dark Obsession'... this is completely different.

They always stuck me as similar sound to early Danger Danger. Big choruses like on the 'screw it' album, althouhg a little bit heavier.

Teargas have a sound similar to the melodic side of Crazy Lixx - not really a sleazy sound.

Dig up the Teargas EP 'Crazy'. However, if you see Teargas 'Dark Obsession'... this is completely different.

They always stuck me as similar sound to early Danger Danger. Big choruses like on the 'screw it' album, althouhg a little bit heavier.

Crazy Lixx sounds pure Sleaze Beez to me.... like Silent Majority could have been Screwed Blued and Tattooed

ROMEO MUST DIE - Defined By Enemies

This one's a 7-track mini album by a UK Metal band, & it is one seriously good slab of Groove/Thrash Metal. Think Pantera meets Lamb of God, with powerful (but not too aggressive) vocals & an abundance of killer riffs this one is a definite winner if you love immaculately produced thrash. It's intensity means it's a better listen than recent stuff like Evile/Municipal Waste etc for my money.

TESTAMENT - The Formation of Damnation

Got to hear the press playback copy of this album a few weeks before it's out, & I honestly think that both old-school & "Demonic"/"The Gathering" fans are going to love this. It really is the best of "The New Order"-era shredding (the opening instrumental on here is spine-tingling) & the ultra-crunchy riffing on "The Gathering". There's even some all-out Death Metal vocals - which I know most people on HH hate, but I don't! - on the title-track here, which is very similar to "Sewn Shut Eyes" off their last album. "The Evil Has Landed" is probably the stand-out, a thuggish riff with a ton of lead-guitar making this sound like "Disciples of the Watch" or something, albeit with a massive production job. Bostaph is on-fire (the bottom-end rumble on this thing is incredible), so is Skolnick's shredding, & whereas it could do with a few up-tempo tunes to make it as rounded as "The Gathering", it's a mighty good thrash metal disc - easily the best of 2008 until EXODUS come along :banger: .

Although I have created separate threads on both these releases, for those unfamiliar with the bands, I spun these two over the weekend:

Seven Wiser - 'Stronger' ; As the name suggests, I find this album to be stronger than the solid debut. The choruses are better, there are killer guitar solos all over this and basically this is a great solid modern hard rock CD. I think it'll be one of the better releases of the year. Great surprise too, as I thought this band was put to rest a long time ago.

Story of the Year - 'The Black Swan' ; I thought that this album might have a good shot at being one of the best of the year, and I think I will be right. Basically, it takes off exactly where the excellent 'In the wake of determination' left off. This is hard rock, pure and simple. Dwell on the "modern" aspect if you must, but you're only letting yourself down. This album is full of meaty guitar riffs, gigantic backing vocals and choruses and some of the most finely crafted hard rock songs that will be released this year. Already there are about 5 real stand-out tracks, namely the brilliant hard rocker 'We're Not Gonna Make It'.

Story of the Year - 'The Black Swan' ; I thought that this album might have a good shot at being one of the best of the year, and I think I will be right. Basically, it takes off exactly where the excellent 'In the wake of determination' left off. This is hard rock, pure and simple. Dwell on the "modern" aspect if you must, but you're only letting yourself down. This album is full of meaty guitar riffs, gigantic backing vocals and choruses and some of the most finely crafted hard rock songs that will be released this year. Already there are about 5 real stand-out tracks, namely the brilliant hard rocker 'We're Not Gonna Make It'.

I'm waiting for this one to be delivered, great band....

WHITESNAKE - Good to be Bad

Finally got to hear this one & I'm really liking it. Very powerful sounding & the guitar riffs are awesome (the lead work is a little reserved). Standout tracks are: "Can you Hear the Wind Blow", "All I Want All I Need", "All For Love", "Summer Rain", & the killer closer "Till the End of Time". There are some fillers - the title track isn't anything too exciting - & Coverdale's voice does struggle in the mid-range these days, but this is a very good disc. :banger: