First Spin Impressions

JustJason

WHITESNAKE - Good to be Bad

Finally got to hear this one & I'm really liking it. Very powerful sounding & the guitar riffs are awesome (the lead work is a little reserved). Standout tracks are: "Can you Hear the Wind Blow", "All I Want All I Need", "All For Love", "Summer Rain", & the killer closer "Till the End of Time". There are some fillers - the title track isn't anything too exciting - & Coverdale's voice does struggle in the mid-range these days, but this is a very good disc. :banger:

Nice to see that someone else is loving this album too. :banger:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story of the Year - 'The Black Swan' ; I thought that this album might have a good shot at being one of the best of the year, and I think I will be right. Basically, it takes off exactly where the excellent 'In the wake of determination' left off. This is hard rock, pure and simple. Dwell on the "modern" aspect if you must, but you're only letting yourself down. This album is full of meaty guitar riffs, gigantic backing vocals and choruses and some of the most finely crafted hard rock songs that will be released this year. Already there are about 5 real stand-out tracks, namely the brilliant hard rocker 'We're Not Gonna Make It'.

I'm waiting for this one to be delivered, great band....

They really are, and they deserve to be acknowledged by even the most traditional hard rock fan. Easily one of the top hard rock bands in the scene today.

The Stuff - s/t ; Nice, basic and simple hard rock disc. I liked it but wasn't blown away by it.

The Mod - 'Demos' ; Great hard rock demo. These songs are just awesome. Big choruses everywhere... should have been signed back in the day, imo.

Story of the Year - 'The Black Swan' ; I thought that this album might have a good shot at being one of the best of the year, and I think I will be right. Basically, it takes off exactly where the excellent 'In the wake of determination' left off. This is hard rock, pure and simple. Dwell on the "modern" aspect if you must, but you're only letting yourself down. This album is full of meaty guitar riffs, gigantic backing vocals and choruses and some of the most finely crafted hard rock songs that will be released this year. Already there are about 5 real stand-out tracks, namely the brilliant hard rocker 'We're Not Gonna Make It'.

They really are, and they deserve to be acknowledged by even the most traditional hard rock fan. Easily one of the top hard rock bands in the scene today.

The Stuff - s/t ; Nice, basic and simple hard rock disc. I liked it but wasn't blown away by it.

Isn't that the one that was going for $500 on ebay recently?

Probably. Just quietly, not worth it at all. Stick to a CDR.

Probably. Just quietly, not worth it at all. Stick to a CDR.

I've never heard it before but I've read the same things that you've said about it.

Headchange - s/t ; Good solid modern rock/metal. Some meaty riffs, some screams... a few cool choruses. Nothing mind blowing, but this is a good enough album for fans of the genre.

Headchange - s/t ; Good solid modern rock/metal. Some meaty riffs, some screams... a few cool choruses. Nothing mind blowing, but this is a good enough album for fans of the genre.

Sounds interesting.... Are they heavy?

Sounds interesting.... Are they heavy?

They are heavy, not not overly heavy. Maybe Silverstein/Bullet For My Valentine heaviness. They're a good band, but I wouldn't go out of your way to find them at all costs, mate. Check out CD Baby for sound clips:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/headchangerocks

It's a cheap one.

Lorene Drive - 'Out alive' ; Finally some new music from these guys!!! Has anything changed? No. All five tracks could have been lifted off the debut, which is a good thing. I really like this band and their sound and all tracks are satisfying. However, there is sadly no 'Let it go' or real stand-out track. Very consistent and it's great to have new songs. Even if it's only five... after three years.

Theory of a dreadman - 'Scars and souvenirs' ; Finally, Hinder's new album! Oh wait, it's not Hinder. Finally, Nickelback's new album! No... not them either, but this could pass as either. They're obviously trying to cash in on the success of Nickelback and Hinder and you know what, thye do it damn well. The 2nd and 4th songs were recorded to be on radio and in a nice world these guys would be the next big thing. But honestly, I think they're travelling a road already travelled. This is a very, very good CD and any fan of Hinder/Nickelback NEEDS to check this out. It's better than their other two and easily the most commercial. My only complaint is that there are just a few too many ballads. Great disc, though.

Black Tide - 'Light from above' ; Solid, unspectacular hard rock. Amazing considering their age, but age aside this isn't going to blow anyone's mind.

Hawk Nelson - 'Hawk Nelson is my friend' ; A band to approach with caution. Many would have given up by now, but I keep coming back and am rewarded everytime. Generally, these guys fill their albums with crap. Pure and simple. Living End/Green Day style crap... but then, out of the blue, they drop this beautiful, lush melodic modern rock number and it just makes everything worthwhile. Seriously, try to listen to "Everything You Have Ever Wanted" off their last album and not be blown away. Anyway, they've done it again. Some songs I cannot listen to, but again, some absolute gems. Maybe a little more than usual, this time. Mid-tempo, and a couple of nice rockers too. This isn't a good band, this isn't a great CD... but there are some excellent songs on it.

Theory of a dreadman - 'Scars and souvenirs' ; Finally, Hinder's new album! Oh wait, it's not Hinder. Finally, Nickelback's new album! No... not them either, but this could pass as either. They're obviously trying to cash in on the success of Nickelback and Hinder and you know what, thye do it damn well. The 2nd and 4th songs were recorded to be on radio and in a nice world these guys would be the next big thing. But honestly, I think they're travelling a road already travelled. This is a very, very good CD and any fan of Hinder/Nickelback NEEDS to check this out. It's better than their other two and easily the most commercial. My only complaint is that there are just a few too many ballads. Great disc, though.

I love this new one!!!

I love this new one!!!

Haha, did I seriously type 'Dreadman'??? The band is obviously Theory of a Deadman.

I agree, this is a great album. Were you a little surprised at how many ballads there were, though? Especially compared to the last two albums. Some of them are magnificent, though. 'Not meant to be' and 'By the way' are sensational.

Brunorock - 'Interaction' ; Sadly this CD did not interact well with me. One of the few "blind purchases" I made recently, having never heard these guys before. I have been interested but this really didn't do much for me. Decent melodic rock but I couldn't really call it much more than decent. The last track, in whatever his native language is, sounds the best musically. But is in foreign tongue. :(

Meanstreak - ROADKILL (1988)

This was the one and only album released by this New York based all-female metal band. Some websites describe them as "the first all girl thrash band" but to be honest there are only two songs here that I would consider out-and-out "thrash" (opener "Roadkill" and the closing track "The Congregation")... in between they're pretty much a straight up trad-metal band with NWOBHM leanings, sorta like Metal Church with PMS. Pretty good stuff. Supposedly the singer was Joey Belladonna's girlfriend around the time this album came out, and nowadays, three of the gals are married to members of Dream Theater. Overall, an interesting little piece of "lost" metal history.

Myland - No Man's Land

WOW - Most excellent AOR from Italy. The singer really reminds me of Hugo in places, and the whole band has that Journey'ish tinge to them, without being copyists. Some really strong songs on this one from the excellent opener 'Anytime' to the rather marvellous 'Running In The Night' and awesome closer 'Prisoner Of Love'. A couple of fillers maybe in the middle, but pretty damned great throughout it's 50 odd minutes. Italy has never been known for many bands before, but bugger me if This And the marvellous Eva - Blue albums won't be far off come years end. All the AOR mafia members, check this one out pronto.

Myland - No Man's Land

All the AOR mafia members, check this one out pronto.

Oaky doaky, sir !! :)

Don't Look Down - 'Start the Show' ; pretty cool modern rock disc. Has a few of those pop-punk elements and although it's nice all the way through with some cool songs, it's not mind-blowing. Still, it showed promise.

For this...

Don't Look Down - 'The Fear in love' ; Wow, what a way to come back in 2004 and deliver a follow up to the debut. This album left me weeping over the fact that the band are no more and didn't get to bless us with a new disc in 2006. The growth from the debut it huge. The sound is ballsier and the songs are just ten times as good. I kind of cheated a bit and spun it a few times on the weekend, but this is one of my preferred modern rock albums at the moment. So many great songs. This is really very, very strong stuff. Highly recommended for the price tag you're more than likely to find it for if you look for it. Love it.

Guilty Pleasure - 'Busted' ; decent melodic rock. Really not anything wrong with this, except it maybe could have used a few more killer choruses. Not bad at all, though.

Guilty Pleasure - 'Busted' ; decent melodic rock. Really not anything wrong with this, except it maybe could have used a few more killer choruses. Not bad at all, though.

I was listening to the samples of this on CDbaby too.... the first listen sounded promising... listened a few more times but decided it would never get beyond "decent".. so didnt buy it.

I was listening to the samples of this on CDbaby too.... the first listen sounded promising... listened a few more times but decided it would never get beyond "decent".. so didnt buy it.

In all honesty I kind of wish I still had my money. :(

Its an album that defines that conversation we have every week about listening to too much "ordinary" melodic rock.

Its an album that defines that conversation we have every week about listening to too much "ordinary" melodic rock.

The stupidest thing is I went there (CD Baby) and all I wanted was the Saints of the Underground CD, but because I am buying something from overseas I always tell myself to look and see if I can get something else to make the most of the shipping. But I really, really should just use common sense, save the expense of an extra CD and go there for what I went for in the first place. I am a dickhead.

The stupidest thing is I went there (CD Baby) and all I wanted was the Saints of the Underground CD, but because I am buying something from overseas I always tell myself to look and see if I can get something else to make the most of the shipping. But I really, really should just use common sense, save the expense of an extra CD and go there for what I went for in the first place. I am a dickhead.

Thats the exact reason i listened to those clips in the first places. There were two cd's i really wanted, but added about 20 to my cart.. cos hey it saves heap on postage... At the end of the day i went, hey but i really want those initial 2 and dont overly care about the other stuff.. im just forcing myself to like some of it. SO i just got the 2.

ATROCITY - Werk 80 II

This is one I got free in an eBay deal. They're German Metallers covering classic 80's pop songs, & it's frankly the worst album of cover versions you will ever hear in all your days. The song choices are good but the talent on offer is non-existent. The idea of a Heavy Metal version of A-HA's "The Sun Always Shines on TV" with an orchestra might sound appealing, but in reality it's a train-wreck. Anyone who buys this album should have their nutsack removed & fed back to them in a bap (as if simply buying & listening to this album wasn't already punishment enough?). YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME YOU TALENTLESS HALFWITS. Abysmal.

Saints of the Underground-Love the Sin, Hate the Sinner

After hearing samples I wasn't to sure about this one but someone was cool enough to let me hear the whole cd and after one full listen I loved it so much I just ordered it. It's shameful that a Major Label isn't releasing this cd. This cd should be in every major retailer including Best Buy, Walmart and Target and there are quite a few songs that would not be out of place on radio today. "Signs of Life" has major potential to be a massive hit on Rock Radio as does "Tomorrow Never Comes". There's also many others that have possible top 40 potential like "Dead Mans Shoes", "Bruised" and maybe even the Tom Petty cover "American Girl", which could go nicely on a movie soundtrack. Big props to Jani, Kerri, Bobby and Robbie for coming up with a collection of songs that should appeal to both 80's rock fans and Modern Rock fans. In a perfect world this would sell two million copies, but in reality will probably sell 10,000 if they're lucky, either way every Melodic Rock fan should own this cd so if you don't go to cdbaby.com and order it it's only $11.99 which is a steal IMO.

Saints of the Underground-Love the Sin, Hate the Sinner

After hearing samples I wasn't to sure about this one but someone was cool enough to let me hear the whole cd and after one full listen I loved it so much I just ordered it. It's shameful that a Major Label isn't releasing this cd. This cd should be in every major retailer including Best Buy, Walmart and Target and there are quite a few songs that would not be out of place on radio today. "Signs of Life" has major potential to be a massive hit on Rock Radio as does "Tomorrow Never Comes". There's also many others that have possible top 40 potential like "Dead Mans Shoes", "Bruised" and maybe even the Tom Petty cover "American Girl", which could go nicely on a movie soundtrack. Big props to Jani, Kerri, Bobby and Robbie for coming up with a collection of songs that should appeal to both 80's rock fans and Modern Rock fans. In a perfect world this would sell two million copies, but in reality will probably sell 10,000 if they're lucky, either way every Melodic Rock fan should own this cd so if you don't go to cdbaby.com and order it it's only $11.99 which is a steal IMO.

Wow sounds like a great one there.... :beerbang: