First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Sevendust - 'Chapter VII - Hope and sorrow' ; This should just be called 'Sorrow' as it is such sadsac music. I remember my brother listened to the band NOFX and he used to tell me about this album which was full-length, but only one track. This album (and most of their others) kind of reminds me of that. The songs just melt into each other and all sound pretty much the same to me. The Daughtry song was a nice change and the closing ballad was nice, but aside from that it was just dreary nu-metal as you'd expect from these guys. It'd have to be something amazing for me to bother listening to their next disc.

This is exactly what I thought of their last album. Thanks for the info, I'll pass on this one....

H.E.A.T - "S/T"

Europe-wannabees from Sweden making a so/so AOR album. There are a couple of really strong tunes, & I notice this is getting a fair bit of hype, but it's mostly forgettable stuff IMO. The vocals are weak & - whereas they really do sound a little like early Europe ("Final Countdown"-era) - it really wouldn't have stood out amongst stuff like Alien/Glory/Treat/Skagarack/Peo/Bad Habit/Talk of the Town/Big Talk etc etc in the Scandi AOR heydey. I notice Jim Jidhed's debut has just been remastered (with bonus cuts), & if you want top class Swedish AOR buy that instead. Oh, & with their coiffured hair/open shirts/bandanas etc, they look f***ing ridiculous in 2008.

I really like it :anon: (H.E.A.T. that is.....).

Really? I'm surprised as we often have similar tastes.... It's way too forgettable for me, & when you compare it something like a BROTHER FIRETRIBE....

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Junkfood - 'Below the Charm' ; Like Tim said above, this is a great one. I have to say it now after the two albums; but this vocalist reminds me of Richard Black from Shark Island!!! He has a great voice and I agree with Tim about the sound/rpoduction on both these discs. Very nice. I also enjoyed every song and have not a poor word to say about this band. 'Slow goodbye' was magestic too... beautiful lyrics.

Stanfour - 'Wild Life'

Apart from the appalling title track this actually very good and is one of the better modern releases I have heard this year. Ive been spinning Simple Plan's s/t quite a bit over the past week and this reminds me of a lighter version, with maybe a touch of Matchbox 20/State of Man thrown in. The first 4 tracks are all winners - great chorus, good vocal. Esp the ballad 'Desperate' - great stuff. The album ends on a high with the first class 'Jane', and the equally impressive 'Crazy' and 'World in Silence'. I can see this getting regular spins.

Just noticed this, I have this album as well (though with a different running order to yours). It's not bad, not exactly Simple Plan, but it does have some very strong tracks on it. "Desperate" is a Max Martin song so though a bit formulaic it has an amazing hook. They actually remind me of recent HANSON stuff (I know this would normally mean instant embarrassment :anon: but their last album was pretty cool). Decent lite Modern Rock....

Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again

Like a mix of Back for the Attack and Under Lock and Key this is a welcome return to the Classic Dokken sound. I heard the samples and a crappy promo of this with that stupid voice-over thing and couldn't decide what I really thought of these songs until I heard the real thing and let me say I'm very impressed. I had to check twice to make sure that George Lynch wasn't back in the band because Jon Levin pulls out every Lynch-ism(is that a word?) on this disc. For those that felt like Dokken would never make another great album then you need to check this out because it's the best thing they've done since "Back for the Attack" without a doubt. There really isn't any filler on this disc but my favs so far are "Sunset Superstar"(one of the best Dokken songs ever?), "This Fire", "Judgment Day", "Point of No Return", "Heart to Stone" and "Standing on the Outside". The song "Disease" seems to be causing a little controversy because it's a little "Modern" sounding but to be honest I like the song. I can see that this cd is gonna be one that I play over and over for many years to come.

Great Review Wes!!! Backed!!! Indeed hat's off to Jon Levin..he does pull out all the "Lynch-isms" and does it well, London and I were talking about that and we thought the same thing. This Release really shows just how Great Jon Is...his playing really takes this to the limit!!! :banger:

Stanfour - 'Wild Life'

Apart from the appalling title track this actually very good and is one of the better modern releases I have heard this year. Ive been spinning Simple Plan's s/t quite a bit over the past week and this reminds me of a lighter version, with maybe a touch of Matchbox 20/State of Man thrown in. The first 4 tracks are all winners - great chorus, good vocal. Esp the ballad 'Desperate' - great stuff. The album ends on a high with the first class 'Jane', and the equally impressive 'Crazy' and 'World in Silence'. I can see this getting regular spins.

Just noticed this, I have this album as well (though with a different running order to yours). It's not bad, not exactly Simple Plan, but it does have some very strong tracks on it. "Desperate" is a Max Martin song so though a bit formulaic it has an amazing hook. They actually remind me of recent HANSON stuff (I know this would normally mean instant embarrassment :anon: but their last album was pretty cool). Decent lite Modern Rock....

I also hear this one over the weekend, but I have to admit I was listing stuff on ebay and didn't pay too much attention, hence why I've not mentioned it here. I did sound like there were some nice pop rock songs on this, but I also heard a lot of horrid fillers too. I also wouldn't compare it anywhere near Simple Plan, but it sounded nice enough. I wonder where I put it. Must give it another spin.

Stanfour - 'Wild Life'

I actually only have a cdr from my bro and I noticed when I checked on Amazon that the track running order is different to that which I have - weird.....also not sure if this was released prior to 08 and has been re-issued....I'll have to check. I fully intend to get this soon though as IMO the song-writing is top notch. Light maybe, but as you say the hooks are definitely there in abundance and that is fine by me. I think my fav is 'Its Not Over' - just love that chorus.

Stanfour - 'Wild Life'

I actually only have a cdr from my bro and I noticed when I checked on Amazon that the track running order is different to that which I have - weird.....also not sure if this was released prior to 08 and has been re-issued....I'll have to check. I fully intend to get this soon though as IMO the song-writing is top notch. Light maybe, but as you say the hooks are definitely there in abundance and that is fine by me. I think my fav is 'Its Not Over' - just love that chorus.

I probably have the same thing, mate. The third track on my copy (could be 'It's not over'?) is a beautiful ballad. That one's stunning. There are two fillers (title track and another one that sounds like it) but you know what, I have to admit this is really pretty damn good. On my copy 9-11 are all rockier and they sound great.

One thing I know for sure, though, guys, is you two have officially worn out your right to make fun of my past enthusiasm for Pacific Avenue as these guys are on par with them. I haven't seen any photos of these guys, but are they a band or just a boyband with guitars?

Run Kid Run - 'Love at the core' ; another dime a dozen band but I really love this sound. If you like Crash Romeo, Hit The Lights, Hedley, Houston Calls, Roses are Red and a million other bands that sound like this, give this a go. Sadly, they don't really seem to be doing anything to break the mould, but it's cool for what it is. The 4th song, something about 'One in a million' was f*cking superb. The rest has all be good, if not a little unspectacular. Killer production too. This CD is kind of interchangable with Crash Romeo from this year. Wait... what do we have here? The 8th song is another f*cking ripper. Good stuff.

Stratovarius - Episode...

Can someone tell me if this is meant to be one of their classic albums?? Because i simply cant remember anything off it! Very dissappointed with this, as they have some amazingly killer stuff... but this is boring... and forgettable. I dont recall a single song... and ive played it several times now.

Run Kid Run - 'Love at the core' ; another dime a dozen band but I really love this sound. If you like Crash Romeo, Hit The Lights, Hedley, Houston Calls, Roses are Red and a million other bands that sound like this, give this a go. Sadly, they don't really seem to be doing anything to break the mould, but it's cool for what it is. The 4th song, something about 'One in a million' was f*cking superb. The rest has all be good, if not a little unspectacular. Killer production too. This CD is kind of interchangable with Crash Romeo from this year. Wait... what do we have here? The 8th song is another f*cking ripper. Good stuff.

The big ballad that closed this one out was excellent too.

Don't Look Down - 'Five EP' ; I recently bought this band's two full length albums and really enjoyed them, especially the 2nd one. I had paid pocket change for them and when I found out they had released an EP inbetween I went to ebay and bought it right away. Funny thing is, with postage included, I paid more for this than the other 2 together. (About $8-9). Anyway, it's good... closer to the 2nd album than the first. Good solid modern rock, if not a little standard, I guess. If you remember the band Autopilot Off, these guys remind me of them. Good stuff - quality band.

Jasmine Cain - 'The Inside' ; decent female fronted hard rock. If I had to draw a comparison the first name I'd mention is Australia's very own Baby Animals. The title track is a great opener but there are quite a few pretty average fillers on this. 'Not Gonna Turn Back' was a great track, though. I probably won't spin it again, but worth checking out for lady-fronted band enthusiasts. Definitely heard Baby Animals in this. The last track is pretty good too.

Stanfour - 'Wild Life'

I probably have the same thing, mate. The third track on my copy (could be 'It's not over'?) is a beautiful ballad. That one's stunning. There are two fillers (title track and another one that sounds like it) but you know what, I have to admit this is really pretty damn good. On my copy 9-11 are all rockier and they sound great.

One thing I know for sure, though, guys, is you two have officially worn out your right to make fun of my past enthusiasm for Pacific Avenue as these guys are on par with them. I haven't seen any photos of these guys, but are they a band or just a boyband with guitars?

Me make fun of you - surely not :whistle:

Seriously I never said a word about your opinions on Pacific Avenue - and Ive never heard it either - perhaps I should?

The beautiful ballad you refer to is 'Desperate' and yes it is excellent - one of my fav ballads so far this year and with 'Its Not Over' these are the 2 standout tracks on offer.

Ive seen a photo and I would say 'boyband with guitars' (unfortunately)...still I aint sticking a poster on me wall or going to their gigs....just listening to their music :tumbsup:

yeah you should check out Pacific Avenue. Theyre probably playing at a shopping mall near you,or you could check out their website: www.gayerthantheblondeonefromthebackstreetboys.com

The beautiful ballad you refer to is 'Desperate' and yes it is excellent - one of my fav ballads so far this year and with 'Its Not Over' these are the 2 standout tracks on offer.

Ive seen a photo and I would say 'boyband with guitars' (unfortunately)...still I aint sticking a poster on me wall or going to their gigs....just listening to their music :tumbsup:

Haha... nice try. But it's not 'Desperate'. That song was good but nowhere near as good as the one I'm referring to. I will listen again and get the name.

Agree 100% about just being interested in the music too, mate. That's all I care about.

A few new listens:

The Ascendicate - 'To die as kings' ; This is ESSENTIAL for Tim (2) and any other Killswitch Engage fan. Huge bottom end, quite heavy but every song has a good melodic chorus. The ballad (track 5) was just stunning. This guy actually has a very good voice. This is a good CD for this heavy modern metal type of stuff.

7 Days Away - 'Death cannot separate' ; I only woke up when this ended - bland boring nu-metal stuff. The two ballads were decent because they were the only songs that didn't sound like the rest. Not good.

10 Years - 'Division' ; more bland crap. I guess these guys are one of the best in this type of nu-metal, but it just bores the shit out of me.

Thrice - 'The alchemy index' - Wow, there is no preparation I can offer in order to not be amazed at how shit this CD actually is. It is unbelievable. These guys have been a consistent modern heavy rock/screamo band and I've enjoyed all their CDs to some degree - some great tracks on all of them. This, however - ZOMFG! What is it? Mellow doesn't describe it. It's not rock, it's not pop. Is this stuff "ambience"? I don't know. It's f*cked it what it is. AVOID LIKE HELL!!!

Active Radio - 'Frequency' - Decent hard rock / modern rock. These guys are a bit sloppy and average, but a bit better than a few recent spins I've had. Not too bad, but not worth hunting down.

Bombay Doors - 'Toss the match' ; Absolute shit. No need to comment further, but all I'll say is this is bland/poorly written modern rock.

Crack ov Dawn - 'White Line' ; A unique vocalist, a lot of swearing... but nothing can hide the fact that this is also just pure crap modern rock.

Daybreak Drive - 'Demos' ; It's sad that some demos provide the best of a recent bunch of CDs. This band is good - I will await their debut hungrily. What I liked most was the variety of tracks, with all having a nice hook. Good band, good songs.

Denial Method - The surface and the vision' ; More crap. Weird production for a modern band, but these guys were just shit - bland as hell again.

Dropping Daylight - 'Brace yourself' ; Finally, a good one. I think I've been after these guys for quite some time, on some list somewhere. I liked this one. Reminded me of a ballsier Summer Obsession. Good solid modern rock.

Sick Puppies - 'Dressed up as life' ; These guys are very good song writers. Some massive hooks here (especially song 4) and these guys combined good well written lyrics with good hooks throughout this whole album. I see this selling everywhere for a few cents, so well worth checking out. An Aussie band, I believe. Nice work.

Everything At Once - s/t ; More bland nu-metal shit. They weren't actually the worst, but not great either.

Bombay Doors - 'Toss the match' ; Absolute shit. No need to comment further, but all I'll say is this is bland/poorly written modern rock.

Crack ov Dawn - 'White Line' ; A unique vocalist, a lot of swearing... but nothing can hide the fact that this is also just pure crap modern rock.

Daybreak Drive - 'Demos' ; It's sad that some demos provide the best of a recent bunch of CDs. This band is good - I will await their debut hungrily. What I liked most was the variety of tracks, with all having a nice hook. Good band, good songs.

Denial Method - The surface and the vision' ; More crap. Weird production for a modern band, but these guys were just shit - bland as hell again.

Dropping Daylight - 'Brace yourself' ; Finally, a good one. I think I've been after these guys for quite some time, on some list somewhere. I liked this one. Reminded me of a ballsier Summer Obsession. Good solid modern rock.

Sick Puppies - 'Dressed up as life' ; These guys are very good song writers. Some massive hooks here (especially song 4) and these guys combined good well written lyrics with good hooks throughout this whole album. I see this selling everywhere for a few cents, so well worth checking out. An Aussie band, I believe. Nice work.

Everything At Once - s/t ; More bland nu-metal shit. They weren't actually the worst, but not great either.

why dont you listen to something good...

I will soon, but I'm sifting through the crap to find something good. Dropping Daylight and Daybreak Drive were worth listening to the rest of the crap which I'll never hear again. Usually I decide in a quicker way whether a band's worth it or not but I decided to give all these guys a chance. What am I at now... I listened to 11 bands. 4 are very good and 1 is okay. I don't mind listening to 6 peices of shit once to find that out. :)

Filter - 'Anthems for the damned' ; this one really isn't that bad. Some very decent songs here and a killer ballsy sound and beefy production. I could see this being a real grower if I gave it the time. A few fillers and an overall sound that I don't usually go for is against this happening, but we'll see what happens. If you like, I guess you would call this post-grunge hard rock... meaning that there are still choruses and enough hooks to make it unlike grunge... but there are some grunge-ish elements. I don't know... if you don't mind this stuff, this is not too bad.

Shit ... ! I was wondering the same thing !! Geoff, you must have a lot of time at your hands to listen to all this crap ! Aren't you married, mate ??

I placed an order with cd baby from their $5 bargain bin....

BRASS KITTEN: Across America

DANGER: In Control

DIAMOND LANE: Cut to the Chase

DIRTY ANGELS: Flash A Go-Go

GRAFITE: Grafite

MOTOR CITY ROCKERS: Rollin & Tumblin

SUSPICION: Live at the Troubadour

Recieved and had a listen to most of these so far and not a dud amongst them.

Brass Kitten - glorious hair metal. Some sawesome tracks on this one. Difficult to come up with a comparison but maybe a mixutre of Danger Danger, Trixter and a small dash of Pretty Boy Floyd.

Danger - sitting somewhere bewteen swedish glam sleaze and british 80's classic metal. One minute it's big sleazy anthems and the next it's rather classic metal oriented.

Motor City Rockers - imagine Bryan Adams fronting LA Guns - no further description needed.

DIamond Lane - pure hard rock. Johnny Lima has jumped on the DL bandwagon on their more recent recrodsing (not these ones) so grab this one while you can.

With all (apart from Diamond Lane only $5 bucks each).... this was my best value bunch in a loooong time, and I definitely recommend each and every one I have listened to so far

Shit ... ! I was wondering the same thing !! Geoff, you must have a lot of time at your hands to listen to all this crap ! Aren't you married, mate ??

Because I'm riding my bike and then the train to and from work every day I do have time to listen to music. Because I only half concentrate on the music when I'm on the train reading I usually prefer to listen to something un-awesome so I don't waste the experience. Hence why I'm ploughing through all these.

Goodnight Nurse - 'Always and never' ; another good one. A very pop-punk-ish voice, but good to see a band who actually play uptemo tunes. This one was very good from start to finish. Reminded me a little of a lesser version of Kid Courageous. The thing I'm most excited about is the fact they have a new album which, based on this, could be simply excellent.

Paramore - riot!

Pretty decent little album. Thanks to Tim or Geoff or both for putting me on to this. Reminds me of a mix of Damone and Anberlin, with a little Barlowgirl thrown in.

I dont think it would rate overly highly on my 07 list, but for $2 i bought it for im really happy with it. "Thats what you get" is a very very cool song. Easily my fave of the album.

Paramore - riot!

Pretty decent little album. Thanks to Tim or Geoff or both for putting me on to this. Reminds me of a mix of Damone and Anberlin, with a little Barlowgirl thrown in.

I dont think it would rate overly highly on my 07 list, but for $2 i bought it for im really happy with it. "Thats what you get" is a very very cool song. Easily my fave of the album.

I love 'When it rains'.

Love Life - Good bye lady jane

Awesome hard rock. Alot of people say this one sounds like Slaughter, and Fear Not sounds like Skid Row... i can hear both, but i think the biggest difference is the production on the Love Life album is pretty poor. Either way the songs shine through, and given some time this should be as good as Fear Not.