First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Hinder - Take it to the Limit

I also heard a lot about this one being great, and it is good, but I TOTALLY disagree that this is pure 80's rock/metal which is another one of the things I've read. This is modern hard rock ala Saliva IMHO. Not that it's a bad thing but this doesn't say 80's to me that much at all. Not of the high caliber of the Shinedown or Seether, but still good, we'll see how it goes with more listens.

Wow, mate thats a really surprising comment!

As much as I love Shinedown, this pisses on that album from a great height.....also have you heard the bonus tracks floating around like 'One Night Stand' and 'Live For Today'....killer stuff!

& also it says pure 80s hard rock to me!

We must be listening to different albums.......I mean isnt 'Loaded & Alone' just like early BJ (say s/t, New Jersey kind of era??).

:drink:

Just my first impression so far, and in fact in your honor, I'm putting it back in the player right now... :)

Good man........'Heaven Sent' and 'Lost In The Sun' just kill me with their awesomeness.

There are some killer solos on this album too.....something im sure you will appreciate :tumbsup:

Yes, that is very true, I like the inclusion of guitar solos, that's always a good thing.

And in no way does this mean I think this is a bad album, it's actually quite good. It just isn't pushing the "classic alert" buttons for me. :)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We must be listening to different albums.......I mean isnt 'Loaded & Alone' just like early BJ (say s/t, New Jersey kind of era??).

See, I can hear the some of that, especially in the muted guitar melody at the beginning, but not even addressing the vocal quality, the vocal line itself is modern rock to me, with the harmony throughout almost the entire song as opposed to the more judicious use (and therefore more impacting) of Richie Sambora. The groove set by the rhythm section is also pure modern rock with mostly straight ahead, driving beats as opposed to being dynamic and having more accents. The whole dynamic building of a classic Bon Jovi song compared to this leaves me feeling that this is a heavy-handed and pale imitation of the high quality songwriting of JBJ... I know, I can't believe I'm saying that either... ;)

All this aside, it's a good song and a good CD from what I've heard so far, but it's missing the builds, and emotional tension that you find with really quality songwriting and productions overall. This to me sounds pretty straightforward and most of the songs take me to a certain level and just keep it there from start to finish. On another note, I'm not a huge fan of this guy's voice I have to say.

Besides it's just my opinion, and that's usually wrong anyway according to my wife... ;)

Yeah Im not saying its of the song writing standard of say early BJ (not a lot is), just reminiscent....and its certainly a damned site better than what a lot of MHR artists are churning out at the moment.

(Jesus Im sounding like Geoff now........................ :unsure: )

Im signing off while Im ahead. LOL

Cheers

• 2023 Gold Donors

I TOTALLY disagree that this is pure 80's rock/metal which is another one of the things I've read. This is modern hard rock ala Saliva IMHO. Not that it's a bad thing but this doesn't say 80's to me that much

I agree..listening to some reviews you'd think this was the second coming or something.I didn't buy this but ive heard it and gave it a fair listen-wasn't feelin' no 80's vibe at all.Just my take.

I TOTALLY disagree that this is pure 80's rock/metal which is another one of the things I've read. This is modern hard rock ala Saliva IMHO. Not that it's a bad thing but this doesn't say 80's to me that much

I agree..listening to some reviews you'd think this was the second coming or something.I didn't buy this but ive heard it and gave it a fair listen-wasn't feelin' no 80's vibe at all.Just my take.

Oh well to each their own.....for the record it sounds fuck all like Saliva....that is just piss poor rap rock/nu metal.

Oh well to each their own.....for the record it sounds fuck all like Saliva....that is just piss poor rap rock/nu metal.

The first album or two definitely had the rap-rock thing more so than Survival of the Sickest which I thought was a good, solid hard rock album. :)

But truth be told, I like their rap-rock stuff too... :anon:

Am surprised you didn't like the last Saliva disc mate, apart from one horrible song (which I think was the single) there was no nu-metal in it at all. Just lush melodic Modern Rock tunes with big harmonies...

All this aside, it's a good song and a good CD from what I've heard so far, but it's missing the builds, and emotional tension that you find with really quality songwriting and productions overall. This to me sounds pretty straightforward and most of the songs take me to a certain level and just keep it there from start to finish. On another note, I'm not a huge fan of this guy's voice I have to say.

That I would completely agree with and my feelings on the Hinder disc (and the previous one which I invested in) pretty much. Excellent songs for sure, but it takes you to one level and leaves you there waiting for something just a little bit more that it never delivers - the knockout punch you could say. I am still really enjoying it for what it is though.

Yeah, I'll leave my comments on all this pretty quick and simple and say that Hinder rapes Saliva and leaves them bleeding in the most distant rusty bin in a deserted alley somewhere in an abandoned African war-torn city. I don't see the comparison either, is what I should say.

But I still love you, Pete. :wub:

Here's a bunch o' stuff I got the other day...

Shinedown - The Sound of Madness

Classy driving modern hard rock with a boatload of melody and hooks. I had heard a lot of good things about this, and so far they appear to be true.

I also heard a lot about this one being great, and it is good, but I TOTALLY disagree that this is pure 80's rock/metal which is another one of the things I've read. This is modern hard rock ala Saliva IMHO. Not that it's a bad thing but this doesn't say 80's to me that much at all. Not of the high caliber of the Shinedown or Seether, but still good, we'll see how it goes with more listens.

Killers - Day & Age

I lasted about 2 minutes into the first song. Didn't like this much at all, reminded me of Oasis or something. I'll give it a go when I'm more in the mood for something different, but so far NO LIKE.

Seether - Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

This fuckin' rocks! Modern, driving, and again with the big hooks, reminds me of all the things I like about the Shinedown but heavier.

Nickelback - Dark Horse

Wow, Mutt's influence on this is a tangible force. For my first listen it sounds disjointed and like a different band. That being said, I hear big hooks and a lot of variety that may really be a grower for me. Jury's still out on this one. Not as immediately likeable as some of my other purchases but this could be a real favorite once it gets stuck in my brain...

did you get Rev Theory?

Classy driving modern hard rock with a boatload of melody and hooks. I had heard a lot of good things about this, and so far they appear to be true.

Killers - Day & Age

I lasted about 2 minutes into the first song. Didn't like this much at all, reminded me of Oasis or something. I'll give it a go when I'm more in the mood for something different, but so far NO LIKE.

This fuckin' rocks! Modern, driving, and again with the big hooks, reminds me of all the things I like about the Shinedown but heavier.

Nickelback - Dark Horse

Wow, Mutt's influence on this is a tangible force. For my first listen it sounds disjointed and like a different band. That being said, I hear big hooks and a lot of variety that may really be a grower for me. Jury's still out on this one. Not as immediately likeable as some of my other purchases but this could be a real favorite once it gets stuck in my brain...

did you get Rev Theory?

Still waiting for that one. :) New one to add to the list...

AC/DC - Black Ice

Yep, it's AC/DC alright! ;)

Seriously though, they stuck t the same formula and from my first listen it sounds like there's more passion than there has been on an AC/DC release in going back a few discs. It's everything I would expect and/or want from these guys. :banger:

Killers - Day & Age

Nickelback - Dark Horse

did you get Rev Theory?

AC/DC - Black Ice

Seriously though, they stuck t the same formula and from my first listen it sounds like there's more passion than there has been on an AC/DC release in going back a few discs. It's everything I would expect and/or want from these guys. :banger:

I still havent heard this :crying:

Killers - Day & Age

Nickelback - Dark Horse

did you get Rev Theory?

AC/DC - Black Ice

I still havent heard this :crying:

I've listened to it a couple more times, and it's pretty much exactly what you would expect from AC/DC. I guess you could say I'm pleasantly unsurprised. ;)

I've listened to it a couple more times, and it's pretty much exactly what you would expect from AC/DC. I guess you could say I'm pleasantly unsurprised. ;)

Yep, that sums it up pretty well ! Exactly my thoughts. :drink:

That's one that lasted about 3 spins with me before I binned it. I'd heard good things about it but I just didn't get it at all - not even a single song - & couldn't even be bothered to put it on eBay. :(

That's one that lasted about 3 spins with me before I binned it. I'd heard good things about it but I just didn't get it at all - not even a single song - & couldn't even be bothered to put it on eBay. :(

After living with it over the last week, I'm not feeling a whole lot different than you... :(

Still love the Shinedown though! :beerbang:

EUROPE: "Secret Society"

Received this one as a Christmas present from my brother Chris (hardrockhaven) and gave it a listen on the way into work today. First spin impression is a bit underwhelming, though there are definitely some good songs present, but it's really no secret that my tastes tend to be a little harder-edged than this. I'm on the fence with this one and will need a couple more spins to determine if it stays in my collection or is relegated to the sell/trade pile.

Kreator - HORDES OF CHAOS

As usual, listening to this band makes me want to drink grain alcohol, eat a bunch of raw meat and then go out and kill something. Not my favorite style of thrash but I have to admit they do raise the blood pressure a few points simply with their sheer intensity.

Conquest - END OF DAYS

I was expecting this to be a death metal release judging by the cover and artwork but they're actually a pretty cool thrashy sorta band with a touch of COWBOYS-era Pantera groove. Pretty good stuff.

Bible of the Devil - FREEDOM METAL

First off, this album title made me think of those old TV commercials for the "Freedom Rock" compilation album with the two hippies -- "Hey man, is that Freedom Metal?" "Yeah, man!" "Well TURN IT UP MAN!" :rofl: But seriously folks, this is some "retro" 70s style hard rock/metal in the vein of early Maiden, Thin Lizzy, Priest, etc. Pretty similar to some other current bands (Widow, Wolf) treading the same musical waters. I'm not totally sold on the whiny vocals but the music is solid enough.

Received this one as a Christmas present from my brother Chris (hardrockhaven) and gave it a listen on the way into work today. First spin impression is a bit underwhelming, though there are definitely some good songs present, but it's really no secret that my tastes tend to be a little harder-edged than this. I'm on the fence with this one and will need a couple more spins to determine if it stays in my collection or is relegated to the sell/trade pile.

Give it a bit of time.. it does grow.

HOUSE OF LORDS: "Come to my Kingdom"

"Demons Down" remains one of my all-time favorite melodic hard rock CDs, but unfortunately, the band has never recaptured that magic. That said, the last album was an excellent slice of melodic rock and this release picks up where that one left off, though right now I give "World Upside Down" the slight edge (slightly better songs, IMO). This tends to be lighter than I typically listen to, but the hooks are simply too catchy to deny. Kudos to the band for continuing to give fans what they want to hear. I would prefer they beef things up a bit, but that's just the hard rocker in me talking. When I'm in the mood for some polished, high-quality melodic rock sung by one of the best voices in the game, I'll reach into my collection and pull this one out plenty of times. It may not be a legendary album in the melodic rock kingdom, but it's still pretty damn good.

Absolute worthless garbage IMO. Hopefully they'll just give up now.

SEPULTURA - A-Lex

So, ever wondered what a Sepultura album without either Cavalera brother would sound like? Total shit is the answer. I quite liked "Dante XXI" (their last album), in fact it's a cool thrashy disc. This is harcore/punk with no thrash in it whatsoever, & it just sounds so raw it's almost unlistenable. Green's vocals are good, as ever, but this just utterly pales against the Soulfly & even the Cavalera Conspiracy discs. Hope the new Kreator isn't this much of a letdown....

DELIVERANCE: "Weapons of our Warfare" (reissue)

Often called the "Ride the Lightning" of the early Christian speed/thrash-metal movement, and deservedly so; frankly, I like this better than "Ride the Lightning." The band rips and shreds all the way through this album, nearly every song full speed ahead, and with the fantastic remastering on this reissue, the whole thing sounds great. The new artwork is cool too, but it's the music that matters, and it holds up very well against the other late 80s/early 90s thrash bands; heck, even despite the blatant (and I do mean blatant) Christian lyrics, non-Christian headbangers embraced this release because it was so good. Oldschool thrash-metal fans should rush to get this like a psychotic samurai rushing to battle.

DELIVERANCE: "Weapons of our Warfare" (reissue)

Often called the "Ride the Lightning" of the early Christian speed/thrash-metal movement, and deservedly so; frankly, I like this better than "Ride the Lightning." The band rips and shreds all the way through this album, nearly every song full speed ahead, and with the fantastic remastering on this reissue, the whole thing sounds great. The new artwork is cool too, but it's the music that matters, and it holds up very well against the other late 80s/early 90s thrash bands; heck, even despite the blatant (and I do mean blatant) Christian lyrics, non-Christian headbangers embraced this release because it was so good. Oldschool thrash-metal fans should rush to get this like a psychotic samurai rushing to battle.

That album was like a mix of Deliverance and Recon. The team of Jimmy P. Brown and George Ochoa was magic, IMO. That album is one of my top 10 all time favorites.