Last movie you watched?

66 mustang

24-Hour Party People

For those who haven't seen it, it's about Factory Records, the Hacienda and the Manchester music scene in the 80s and 90s. Good film, bit surreal at times and I still find Ian Curtis' demise pretty shocking.

24-Hour Party People

For those who haven't seen it, it's about Factory Records, the Hacienda and the Manchester music scene in the 80s and 90s. Good film, bit surreal at times and I still find Ian Curtis' demise pretty shocking.

Quality !!!

"The Punisher" (1989 - Dolph Lundgren version)

punisher-dolph-lundgren.jpg

When I first saw this back in the VHS days, I was still on active duty as a full-on Comic Book Geek, and the Punisher was one of my favorite books at the time. Back then I frickin HATED this movie. The movie had little to no resemblance to the comic book (The Punisher does not even wear his iconic Skull Emblem on his chest, for cryin' out loud!!!!) and was basically a "Punisher' movie in name only. I'm fairly sure the only reason this got made was because when New Line Pictures got the "Punisher" license they didn't even bother to read any of the comics prior to filming, they simply slapped his name on a generic action-movie script they had stashed away in a drawer someplace.

So anyway, 20+ years later, I'm now a retired comic book geek, and I find this DVD in the bargain bin at the supermarket real cheap so I give it another shot. I figure, enough time has passed since I've read a Punisher comic that I should be far enough removed from the "source material" to enjoy the film on its own merits. And y'know what? I like this "Punisher" better now than I did back in the day.

In and of itself, "The Punisher" is actually a pretty decent B-Grade action movie. There are crazy gun battles every two minutes, martial arts battles against ninjas, some decent gore, shell casings everywhere, wall to wall violence, and occasionally ol' Dolph actually displays a few acting chops!

It still bugs me that they made "Frank Castle" into an ex-cop in this version (he was an ex-Marine in the comic), that his hideout is in the sewers (he's not a dang Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle!), and the complete and total lack of The Skull is unforgivable, but as a straight up action movie it was better than I remembered. Still a "Punisher" movie in name only, but if you can put fanboy-ism aside it's an OK flick.

Saw this back in the day and enjoyed it but have to agree,Frank Castle without a skull and messing with his origins WTF?Still a great big dumb fun flick.

"DreamGirls" - yeah, the one with Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce' Knowles, etc. about the rise and fall of a 60s "girl group" ala the Supremes. I usually have no use for musicals but y'know what? This was actually damn good! Eddie Murphy was killer as a James Brown style singer named "Jimmy Early."

Forbidden Kingdom

Quality film! Love that one.

My offering: Session 9, spooky horror film, liked it, but having watched the deleted scenes not sure I understood it at all. Made sense until then though!

Has anyone else on here seen the film?

2012 - Mindless end of the world action fun. Not as good as 'The Day After Tomorrow' but still worth seeing.

The Ugly Truth - A chick flick but still funny at times.

Good Luck Chuck - Funny but not as good as some other Dane Cook movies.

Last night I got to see PRECIOUS.

Most disturbing movie I ever witnessed.. :yikes:

In what way? I've never heard of it.

'Requiem for a dream' ; ah, such a soothing, family oriented film. :lol: This one's pretty harsh, but I do like it a lot.

'Hearts in Atlantis' ; unfortunately I haven't read the book, but I did really enjoy the film. Nice tale.

'Stay Alive' ; saw this one at the drive-in when it came out and although the whole gamer scene is too tragic to even view on DVD, I still actually enjoy this film quite a lot. Really not bad at all as far as horror films go.

'From paris with love' ; very much your standard action film, but that said it wasn't bad at all. Just pretty much if you saw a preview for the film you already know 100% what it's going to be like. I enjoyed it.

'Arlington Road' ; another oldie but goodie, I dig this film quite a lot.

'Lost Boys' ; put my foot in it with a friend and got stuck/forced to watch this one. Every bit as awful as I'd thought it would be, and then more. I love how the script writers actually did forget to write or build any kind of story. Haha. One of the worst films I've seen in my life. First time I've ever seen that Cory Haim (or the other one) in my life too. Terrible stuff. Man I hate 80's movies. :lol: (SORRY GUYS!)

Just got home from Alica in Wonderland... ok, but not great. Most people saw it for Depp i guess... but he wasnt overly great.

Yeah, not so sure about that. Pretty sure most people would have seen it because they're 8 years old. :wub:

My Bloody Valentine (2009)

Geoff, you were right, that's a cool movie! Though I still prefer the original, that was the best (new) slasher I saw in the last ten years

Nice. Yeah, that one was good.

Just got home from Alica in Wonderland... ok, but not great. Most people saw it for Depp i guess... but he wasnt overly great.

Yeah, not so sure about that. Pretty sure most people would have seen it because they're 8 years old. :wub:

not the kids version here