Albums you never really gave a chance

AlphaMale

1 minute ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Clearly reading is hard, because you can't seem to be able to read your own first post. 

And exactly where in that post does it say I never listened to it before? I'll wait....

Add Hurricane's "Slave To The Thrill" to the list as well. Own it but never really gave it a chance. Definitely heard/played it before like FP "Whipped" but it didn't resonate. 

Edited by AlphaMale

16 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Well now I see why Whipped never did a thing for me. Some of it really sucks and it too experimental. Worse then the industrial stuff.

Weird thing about to say about their best album. ;) Tracks 7-11 don't do too much for me, but I love the rest of the album, personally. Just good, really catchy sleaze rock / metal. 

On 12/13/2022 at 9:53 PM, Geoff said:

Wow, you’re doing yourself a massive disservice by lumping Slaughter in with all the 80s artists that sold out. Slaughter never did, and in my opinion ‘Fear no evil’ is their best album, still in the same hard rock style as first two, if not slightly ballsier. Highly recommended. 

Well I might actually check that one out then, based on your comment, thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

Weird thing about to say about their best album. ;) Tracks 7-11 don't do too much for me, but I love the rest of the album, personally. Just good, really catchy sleaze rock / metal. 

I love Nonstop to Nowhere and Big Dictionary. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
20 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Clearly reading is hard, because you can't seem to be able to read your own first post. 

I enjoy when 2 members of more than 10K posts have a deep conversation like this.

It motivates to want to reach that level

23 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Reading thought it was hard until it met AlphaMale. Now reading is his bitch.

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2022 at 7:05 PM, Doug said:

At first, it was Def Leppard's 'Slang,' but I've come to really enjoy it. 

This might be tops on my list for this.

I vividly remember the first time I listened to Slang.  I unwrapped that CD and chucked it in my car and couldn't wait to hear a new album from my favorite band.

I made it all the way through and put my window down and was darn close to tossing it out my car window.  I resisted the urge though.  I think I might've given it one or two more plays before parking it on my CD shelf and being irritated that I had waited 4 years for that drivel.

Somewhere along the line though my feelings changed on it and I dig it now. 

• Haha 1

This thread inspired me to pull out my LA Guns "Vicious Circle" album. I never really gave that disc much of a chance. I found I quite liked a few of the songs now.  Will listen to it a few more times in the coming weeks.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:32 PM, AlphaMale said:

Faster Pussycat - Whipped (their debut is still my favorite but for some reason, this one never got played by me)

Easily my favourite FP album

On 12/13/2022 at 1:36 AM, auslander said:

Lot's of people were put off by the title track I think. But I hear it now and it sounds like a glam 70's track. I agree that Slang is underrated. They shoulda kept their logo for the cover though.

Can't agree on the title track. That was the song that sold me on the album as it sounded like classic Lep. The rest of the album was where the real difference in sound was, but I liked it. Slang though still stands out as the one song on the album that really was "Def Leppard".

On 12/13/2022 at 2:52 PM, Kristian said:

I guess a lot the mid nineties releases from the classic eighties rock bands never really got a fair chance by me, releases like Slang, Ultraphobic, Fear no Evil and probably others.

Maybe because I was hugely let down by Subhuman Race and Mötley Crüe, I thought that every act was putting out shit like that, so I never bothered.

These days there is so much high quality music to check out, so I might never go back to revisit these records.

Self titled Motley Crue is probably the out an out best album by any 80s bands trying to follow the more modern trend.

Should never have been released as Motley, I will admit, but fuck me that album was and still is fucking awesome.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

For whatever reason I basically never listen to White Lion.  I don't exactly know why, I usually like the individual songs I hear but when it comes to full albums I'm just rarely in the mood

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Self titled Motley Crue is probably the out an out best album by any 80s bands trying to follow the more modern trend.

Should never have been released as Motley, I will admit, but fuck me that album was and still is fucking awesome.

yes-yup.gif

Surgin - When Midnight Comes. I tried listening to it again after some 20 years but the vocals still annoy me. 

There are a number that I dislike that seem to tickle many' noodles.

Blackboard Jungle, and Vain to name 2 that just stink and still do.

Now I fold other bands into the category of this album was alright, but now if I hear them again I will just cry.  IE: anything from Aerosmith, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, The Police, and I am sure many more.

On 12/13/2022 at 11:43 PM, CMGiordano said:

Once I get my website up and running, I totally will!

Putting the caveat on that because I've been working on a "10 bands I wish we could get a second album from" for literal years, but bands keep coming back from the dead and making me have to start over.

That's a great tangent and 1 where I would enjoy a disc 2 from New American Shame, Sea Hags, Salty Dog (yea yea yea, not that release from a few years ago with the different singer, but the OG SD) to name a few more mainstream bands. There are hundreds of no one cares bands that I'd love to get more music from.

13 hours ago, martinsane said:

There are a number that I dislike that seem to tickle many' noodles.

Blackboard Jungle, and Vain to name 2 that just stink and still do.

Now I fold other bands into the category of this album was alright, but now if I hear them again I will just cry.  IE: anything from Aerosmith, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, The Police, and I am sure many more.

So are you admitting you never gave Vain a chance which is why you're of the absurd opinion that they are not awesome?

Jeez, Blackboard Jungle is definitely not an album I could put in this thread. Got that way back in the day in my trading days with Taki and I must have played it a million times, each time thinking this'll be the time I like it more. I never hated the album, but it's just a really, really underwhelming album, no matter how I looked at it. Songs like 'Chicago' are perfectly nice, but that's the whole album. Just nice/okay and never anything more. In.

My.

Opinion, of course.

So you're saying Red Hot Chilli Peppers, U2 and The Police all have an alright album, but Vain do not? What insanity is this? You are saying Red Hot Chilli Peppers are a better band than Vain? :puke::puke::puke:

On 12/28/2022 at 12:52 AM, Geoff said:

So are you admitting you never gave Vain a chance which is why you're of the absurd opinion that they are not awesome?

Jeez, Blackboard Jungle is definitely not an album I could put in this thread. Got that way back in the day in my trading days with Taki and I must have played it a million times, each time thinking this'll be the time I like it more. I never hated the album, but it's just a really, really underwhelming album, no matter how I looked at it. Songs like 'Chicago' are perfectly nice, but that's the whole album. Just nice/okay and never anything more. In.

My.

Opinion, of course.

So you're saying Red Hot Chilli Peppers, U2 and The Police all have an alright album, but Vain do not? What insanity is this? You are saying Red Hot Chilli Peppers are a better band than Vain? :puke::puke::puke:

I have spun that Vain (and BBJ) record (s) plenty. I got the tape from Mr Davey Vain himself way back when and after seeing him and his band that fateful Seattle night I was not impressed then and after repeated tries at the listening to the record (still have the tape and have the CD, I think 2 actually) it didn't make me a fan (of either).

I remember finding the BBL in the wild in the early 2k's and it didn't tickle me. I did find it interesting that then it garnered some notoriety from a collectible perspective, I'd imagine not so much now with the multiple re-issues.

And no those bands aren't superior, they just sold more records and are more known, but their suck is equal.

Personally I think the Vain first album is a classic and within the top 100 hard rock albums of all time. If I could only keep 100 of the 5000 cds I own, Vain's debut would be one of them.

1 hour ago, auslander said:

Personally I think the Vain first album is a classic and within the top 100 hard rock albums of all time. If I could only keep 100 of the 5000 cds I own, Vain's debut would be one of them.

Yep, 'No Respect' is in my top 30 albums of all time. One of those rare album where I love every single track. Well, 'Ready' is kind of a throwaway closer, but they even nail that one and it's still a keeper. The other 11 are sublime, though.