Hurricane working on new album

AlphaMale

Hurricane are in the middle of doing a new record - Sleaze Roxx

Hurricane are in the middle of doing a new record

Posted on July 1, 2021 by Olivier

Hurricane guitarist Robert Sarzo was recently interviewed by Marcelo Vieira for Marcelo Vieira Music. Sarzo was in Hurricane from 1985 to 1989 and has since been in the band since 2010. The group currently consists of Sarzo on guitar, Tony Cavazo on bass, Chad Cancino on lead vocals and Mike Hansen on drums.

Sarzo was asked whether he had unreleased songs from his ’80s Hurricane days such as the track “10,000 Years” which appeared on the Slave To The Thrill (1990) album that he didn’t play on. The guitarist replied (as transcribed by Marcelo Vieira with slight edits): “I have stuff like that. Actually ,I have it because I have the masters. Tony and I talked about it and we might take one of those songs and record it, we are working on it. We are in the middle of doing a new record and our singer is Chad Cancino, and also the drummer we’ve had Mike Hansen, he has been playing for us for ten years now. It’s on English and Spanish, we want to tour South America too.”

In terms of whether Hurricane are working with a record label, Sarzo indicated: “We’re going with a label, right before the pandemic here in L.A, we were in the middle of a negotiation of a contact with one of the L.A labels here that handles a lot of bands from the 80’s…. I don’t want to say the label because our manager is also looking around.”

In regard to finding the best record deal, Sarzo piped in: “Yeah! Because it’s also in Spanish, the same ten songs in both English and Spanish, and we’re recording everything because of covid-19 individually, so I’m producing the record. I live in a boat and I start the recordings here and I send a MP3 to Tony Cavazo, we send tracks back and forth with pro tools and that’s how we’ve been writing, then it goes to our engineer, then to our drummer in Chicago. When we’re ready to do the vocals, we have the vocalist come in into the engineer’s studio and record the vocals there.

On what fans can expect on the upcoming new Hurricane record, Sarzo stated: “Very melodic metal heavy from the ’70s but also like the ’80s.”

You can read the rest of the interview with Robert Sarzo in the Portuguese language at Marcelo Vieira Music‘s website (Part 1 and Part 2).

Hurricane performing “I’m On To You” live at The Venue in Denver, Colorado, USA (video by Rockin’ Ron for Decibel Geek):

1 minute ago, AlphaMale said:

I'm not sure if this would be any good without Kelly Hansen. 

I was thinking the same thing.  While it's great that Sarzo and Cavazo are a part of the reunion, knowing that Kelly isn't involved loses a lot of the initial appeal for me.

• Like 1

Doing this version a hurricane is a lot like doing giant without Dann Huff.... it seems like some magic is missing

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
5 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I'm not sure if this would be any good without Kelly Hansen. 

Yeah, Kelly Hansen IS Hurricane. 

I'll reserve judgement, but even if it's sensational, it won't be Hurricane. 

WTF?? Why isn't Kelly Hansen singing for them? you cant replace that voice, they should make a new name, Kelly Hansen is Hurricane, and im not even really that interested in hearing it under the Hurricane name if Hansen's not on it, guess im just a fucking bull headed prick, but its not like he's some generic replaceable vocalist, possibly one of the most underrated rock vocalists in history, and he is Hurricanes sound.

4 minutes ago, Leykis101 said:

WTF?? Why isn't Kelly Hansen singing for them? you cant replace that voice, they should make a new name, Kelly Hansen is Hurricane, and im not even really that interested in hearing it under the Hurricane name if Hansen's not on it, guess im just a fucking bull headed prick, but its not like he's some generic replaceable vocalist, possibly one of the most underrated rock vocalists in history, and he is Hurricanes sound.

Current lead singer for Foreigner, for whatever that's worth. Apparently since 2005... though not much to show for it, far as I can tell. May be better off back with Hurricane? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Current lead singer for Foreigner, for whatever that's worth. Apparently since 2005... though not much to show for it, far as I can tell. May be better off back with Hurricane? 

ha ha not much to show for it, except hard cash of course and actually making money from music ;)

Foreigner have a full 2022 touring schedule of the US and UK with whitesnake including dates like London O2,  which is 20,000 seater arena.

I would probably guess he has no interest in Hurricane who are basically unknown 

he must be raking it in 

Edited by Glen

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 8/10/2021 at 1:42 AM, AlphaMale said:

Hurricane are in the middle of doing a new record - Sleaze Roxx

Posted on July 1, 2021 by Olivier

Hurricane guitarist Robert Sarzo was recently interviewed by Marcelo Vieira for Marcelo Vieira Music. Sarzo was in Hurricane from 1985 to 1989 and has since been in the band since 2010. The group currently consists of Sarzo on guitar, Tony Cavazo on bass, Chad Cancino on lead vocals and Mike Hansen on drums.

Sarzo was asked whether he had unreleased songs from his ’80s Hurricane days such as the track “10,000 Years” which appeared on the Slave To The Thrill (1990) album that he didn’t play on. The guitarist replied (as transcribed by Marcelo Vieira with slight edits): “I have stuff like that. Actually ,I have it because I have the masters. Tony and I talked about it and we might take one of those songs and record it, we are working on it. We are in the middle of doing a new record and our singer is Chad Cancino, and also the drummer we’ve had Mike Hansen, he has been playing for us for ten years now. It’s on English and Spanish, we want to tour South America too.”

In terms of whether Hurricane are working with a record label, Sarzo indicated: “We’re going with a label, right before the pandemic here in L.A, we were in the middle of a negotiation of a contact with one of the L.A labels here that handles a lot of bands from the 80’s…. I don’t want to say the label because our manager is also looking around.”

In regard to finding the best record deal, Sarzo piped in: “Yeah! Because it’s also in Spanish, the same ten songs in both English and Spanish, and we’re recording everything because of covid-19 individually, so I’m producing the record. I live in a boat and I start the recordings here and I send a MP3 to Tony Cavazo, we send tracks back and forth with pro tools and that’s how we’ve been writing, then it goes to our engineer, then to our drummer in Chicago. When we’re ready to do the vocals, we have the vocalist come in into the engineer’s studio and record the vocals there.

On what fans can expect on the upcoming new Hurricane record, Sarzo stated: “Very melodic metal heavy from the ’70s but also like the ’80s.”

You can read the rest of the interview with Robert Sarzo in the Portuguese language at Marcelo Vieira Music‘s website (Part 1 and Part 2).

Hurricane performing “I’m On To You” live at The Venue in Denver, Colorado, USA (video by Rockin’ Ron for Decibel Geek):

no No No Just No... that's not good.

1 hour ago, Glen said:

ha ha not much to show for it, except hard cash of course and actually making money from music ;)

Foreigner have a full 2022 touring schedule of the US and UK with whitesnake including dates like London O2,  which is 20,000 seater arena.

I would probably guess he has no interest in Hurricane who are basically unknown 

he must be raking it in 

Yeah, I should have said not much to show for it in terms of studio output, meaning that I think they've only released one studio album in the 16 years. I think? But yeah, no doubt more money to be made with Foreigner. 

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, I should have said not much to show for it in terms of studio output, meaning that I think they've only released one studio album in the 16 years. I think? But yeah, no doubt more money to be made with Foreigner. 

Yeah, only the one (mediocre) studio album.  Lots of live stuff.  The band long ago realized that there's no money in releasing a new studio album so they just continue touring and playing "Records" (basically).

I will say this: I've seen Foreigner three times, once with each lead singer.  The show with Lou was the reunion in the early 90s before his health went south.  All three guys were great (yes, even Johnny) but Kelly was - by far - the best of the three.  And that was in early 2006 when he'd been in the band less than a year.  When he came down the aisle and sang "Head Games" about 8 feet from me - man, what a night.  Met Jason Bonham and Thom Gimbel (and a couple of the other members but not Kelly or Mick) after the show.  They were incredibly nice.

That's a long, roundabout way of saying we'll never see Kelly make another Hurricane album but I sure wish he would.

Foreigner was on Fox and Friends doing a mini concert a month or 2 ago,

1 minute ago, headbanger4life said:

Kelly should just do the album with them. It’s not like he’s put out any new material with Foreigner. I love his voice and will always associate him with Hurricane.

Agreed! 

54 minutes ago, headbanger4life said:

Kelly should just do the album with them. It’s not like he’s put out any new material with Foreigner. I love his voice and will always associate him with Hurricane.

If that was going to happen, it would have had to be last year when Foreigner wasn't touring.  Now they're back on the road again, so he's busy.

He did release one album of new material with Foreigner but...it's not great.

On 8/11/2021 at 5:11 AM, Glen said:

he must be raking it in 

They've pretty gone on tour annually for the past 16 years now.

This carnation of Foreigner is AWESOME live... I mean as good as it gets.  I suppose you could call them a cover band at this point... but if so, they're the best cover band in the history of rock.  If you haven't seen Foreigner with Hansen on vocals, you've missed out.  I bet I've seen them at least a dozen times the past 16 years.  I'll certainly see them again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gener8tr said:

They've pretty gone on tour annually for the past 16 years now.

This carnation of Foreigner is AWESOME live... I mean as good as it gets.  I suppose you could call them a cover band at this point... but if so, they're the best cover band in the history of rock.  If you haven't seen Foreigner with Hansen on vocals, you've missed out.  I bet I've seen them at least a dozen times the past 16 years.  I'll certainly see them again.

yes I saw them supporting Journey in the UK.

very good as you say

• 1 year later...

From Escape Music:

Escape Music is delighted to announce the signing of the Classic Rock band Hurricane! Title of the album will be “Thrill Is On” release will be summer 2023

The band is:
Tony Cavazo
ROBERT SARZO
MICHAEL D. HANSEN
DANIEL CARL SCHUMANN

16 hours ago, Stefan said:

From Escape Music:

Escape Music is delighted to announce the signing of the Classic Rock band Hurricane! Title of the album will be “Thrill Is On” release will be summer 2023

The band is:
Tony Cavazo
ROBERT SARZO
MICHAEL D. HANSEN
DANIEL CARL SCHUMANN

That.......seems to be the wrong Hansen.

• Like 1