Journey - Freedom

Stefan

7 hours ago, Doug said:

Totally agree, Deen is the best singer in this "band." 

When I saw Journey not too long after Arnel joined, Deen sang, I believe, two songs during the show.  "Mother, Father" and "After the Fall".  He knocked both absolutely out of the park.  Absolutely nailed both.  Arnel was incredible that night - the whole band was - but Deen was probably the best singer on the stage.

17 hours ago, Tabe said:

When I saw Journey not too long after Arnel joined, Deen sang, I believe, two songs during the show.  "Mother, Father" and "After the Fall".  He knocked both absolutely out of the park.  Absolutely nailed both.  Arnel was incredible that night - the whole band was - but Deen was probably the best singer on the stage.

drummers don't work well as a lead vocalist in a live environment imo 

Loses way too much connection with the crowd

• My Little Pony
7 hours ago, Glen said:

drummers don't work well as a lead vocalist in a live environment imo 

Loses way too much connection with the crowd

Truu. It is our lot in life. When you sign up to be a drummer you have to accept the reality you may be forgotten in the back. We're seldom the star. 

46 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Truu. It is our lot in life. When you sign up to be a drummer you have to accept the reality you may be forgotten in the back. We're seldom the star. 

You being a drummer explains some things

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, auslander said:

You being a drummer explains some things

Like how my comedic timing is always on point? Yeah, I get that. 

4 hours ago, Mr.AOR said:

Arnel does a fine job, but for me the man who should be fronting Journey is Hugo Valenti but it will never happen.

I saw Hugo with Valentine and he was very good, but honestly it would have been a bit weird and creepy. I mean, I think he thinks he is Steve Perry. He mimicked his every action with Valentine,  was a bit weird.

• 1 month later...

I've heard the 1 min samples on Apple and honestly it sounds pretty bad.

It starts out OK with a couple of decent sounding songs but by the time they hit track 6 which was the weak first single it sounds dire.

Weak songs and an awful mix / production

I still think this band died when Perry left. The last truly great album was Raised on Radio imo

Arrival was OK but I never really liked Augeri. I did like Revelation and it had some good songs but what's the point when you don't play them live?? 🤔 

Edited by Glen

Hmmm... doesn't sound great, but i'll wait to hear the full album before I comment further. I'm a little with Glen on the Perry comment, although 'Trial By Fire' was very good,  and  'Arrival' and 'Revelation' were both strong albums with Augeri and Pineda. 

On 4/27/2022 at 2:20 AM, Glen said:

I've heard the 1 min samples on Apple and honestly it sounds pretty bad.

It starts out OK with a couple of decent sounding songs but by the time they hit track 6 which was the weak first single it sounds dire.

Weak songs and an awful mix / production

I still think this band died when Perry left. The last truly great album was Raised on Radio imo

Arrival was OK but I never really liked Augeri. I did like Revelation and it had some good songs but what's the point when you don't play them live?? 🤔 

It's as good as Escape! :lol:

• Haha 1

Saw them in St Paul on March 14th... Although I like more Journey songs, Toto blew them out of the water. Arnel seemed to be struggling, the set was very short with at least 4 extended Schon solos, Deen sang Mother Father and the backup keyboard player (Jason Derletka?) sang something as well. Decent show and Arnel is a ball of energy, but he definitely was struggling to hit the higher notes.

last time I saw them was on Eclipse tour and I vowed that would be it.

Basically a tribute band now anyway - can't see the point of recording new music when they just play the Perry hits. Always amazes me they play nothing from Revelations or Eclipse?? Or am I wrong. If I was arnel I'd be a bit miffed by that but then most US journey fans only want to the same 12 songs anyway 🙄

14 hours ago, Glen said:

last time I saw them was on Eclipse tour and I vowed that would be it.

Basically a tribute band now anyway - can't see the point of recording new music when they just play the Perry hits. Always amazes me they play nothing from Revelations or Eclipse?? Or am I wrong. If I was arnel I'd be a bit miffed by that but then most US journey fans only want to the same 12 songs anyway 🙄

When I saw them with Arnel, not too long after he'd joined the band, they played several songs from "Revelation".  I saw them again in 2017.  Honestly couldn't tell you what they played that night as the sound was so awful that most songs were unrecognizable.

• 2 weeks later...

PASS!!!

What happened between that first single and now these last two? If nothing else, the first one sounds superb, sonically. These last two sound terrible, like muddy demos. 'You got the best of me' is actually my favourite song of the three, but production-wise it is shithouse. 

'Let it rain' is absolute garbage in every sense - no production job saving a piece of shit like that. 

• Like 1