Best Albums of 2020 so far

10 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Happy to see One Desire so high on your list. It's probably my most played album this year. 

If it wasn’t for H.E.A.T it would arguably be my favourite album of 2020. It gets better the more you play it and Jimmy Westerlund has done a stellar job (including his work on the new Firetribe also). Big production, huge melodies and great guitar work - Ticks all the boxes for me. 

How awesome is Battlefield Of Love?!

Best and most listened to for me is definitely H.E.A.T.'s latest. Absolutely love that album. Really enjoyed: Amaranthe, One Desire, Catalano and Magic Dance in particular.

Also Really Enjoyed:

Dynazty

Brother Firetribe

Beyond The Black

Bonfire

Harem Scarem

Mad Max

Palace

Allen/Olzen

Ozzy Osbourne

For me I've really enjoyed this year. A lot of good releases both with the sort of music discussed on these forums but outside as well. Already excited for next year for W.E.T. and Creye.

Edited by LukeF
Missed a band on the first edit. Spelling error on second.

My Top 2020 list!

1.  TMF- Lions
2.  Wildness- Ultimate Demise
3.  Stardust- Highway To Heartbreak
4.  H.E.A.T- II
5.  Harem Scarem- Change The World
6.  Arctic Rain- The One
7.  Khymera- Master Of Illusion
8.  Perfect Plan- Time For A Miracle
9.  One Desire- Midnight Empire
10. Black Swan- Shake The World

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Rocker said:

My Top 2020 list!

1.  TMF- Lions
2.  Wildness- Ultimate Demise
3.  Stardust- Highway To Heartbreak
4.  H.E.A.T- II
5.  Harem Scarem- Change The World
6.  Arctic Rain- The One
7.  Khymera- Master Of Illusion
8.  Perfect Plan- Time For A Miracle
9.  One Desire- Midnight Empire
10. Black Swan- Shake The World

Quite similar choices to me  :) but in different order :drink:

• Like 1

My Top Ten...plus

1. Passion - s/t

2. Arctic Rain - The One

3. Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic

4. Cats In Space - Atlantis

5. H.E.A.T - II

6. Catalano - Nightfighter

7. Khymera - Master Of Illusion

8. Tokyo Motor Fist - Lions

9. Wildness - Ultimate Demise

10. Perfect Plan - Time For A Miracle

some just outside that were in until recently...

Magic Dance - Remnants

Palace - Rock 'n' Roll Radio

One Desire - Midnight Empire

Hell In The Club - Hell Of Fame

Stardust - Highway To Heartbreak

Black Swan - Shake The World

Smash Into Pieces - Arcadia

Vega - Grit Your Teeth

Brother Firetribe - Feel The Burn

Gathering Of Kings - Discovery

A few suprises for some maybe? Passion at number 1...it's because at the start of this whole pandemic it brought a big smile to my face and it has stuck with me all year.

Plus side for me is a few new bands with debut albums ,plus a few great sophomore releases.

Edited by lettard
  • Like 2

Gonna do mine like Dan & Co with a top 5 & honourable mentions 😊

So here we go...top 5 for 2020

1. Cats in Space

Brilliant album. The variation, the harmonies, the hooks, the grandeur, the new vocalist. Everything is just perfect & their best album yet

2. Night Flight Orchestra

Yet again they have produced a great album. They have been consistently my fav band of the last 10 years. Also released a couple of bonus tracks which were mighty fine as well

3. Platforms

One of my most played albums of 2020. Just a great uplifting synthwave album. But the tracks still have some bite and plenty of guitars to keep it on the more rocking side of synth. 

4. Lionville

Easily my fav AOR of 2020 - Lars is brilliant as always and this just comes across as a Work of Art album imo. I'll never give my heart away is probably my fav track of the year

5. HEAT

Last album with Erik and it's a cracker. A bit generic in places but contains a few gems like Come Clean, Adrenaline & Rise. The energy of this album is not surpassed in 2020. 

Honourable Mentions (no order) :

Brother Firetribe 

Arctic Rain

Passion

Magic Dance

Vega

Tokyo Motor Fist

Harem Scarem

One Desire

Revolution Saints

just a few words about the H Mentions.....

Brother Firetribe was sooo close to my top 5. Honestly they nailed this album. great production , some songs veering towards synth, and 3 crackers in Ticking Away, Battle Ground & Candle in the Window

Arctic Rain was a huge surprise. Great debut album. Very much in the HEAT vein and I think their second album could be v special. Just need to refine their sound a bit....bit hectic and busy in places makes for a hard listen all the way through

Passion...early album in 2020 and it's simplicity has stood the test of time. Just a great straight ahead rock album. 

Magic Dance - haven't been his biggest fan and songs can be v repetative but he gets it spot on in side 2 of this  - Changes & Restless Nights are brilliant

Vega - always good, but production is a let down once again!! Love these guys though and songs like Don't Fool Yourself and How We Live are magnificent 

Tokyo Motor Fist- first 4 tracks are brilliant then it loses its way. What an EP though 😉

Harem Scarem - more production issues but a strong set of songs. Harem Scarem at 75% is still better than 95% of other bands 

One Desire- a more mature outing. Slightly busy almost muddy production detracts slightly but there are some great songs here - Down & Dirty, K!ller Queen & Godsend Exstasy are all brilliant tracks

Rev Saints - I don't think this band get the love they deserve. their 3rd album here is consistently very good throughout. & I must say Doug is on absolute fire once again - definite guitar performance of the year for me. Fav solo : Its Not The End....I mean WTF!! 

So there you go....pretty strong year. To have more than one album I really like each month in 2020 is amazing for me, esp when the genre is dead....as so many people keep telling me.

However it would be remiss of me not to mention 2 pop albums this year -

Lady Gaga - Chromatica

Amazing. Basically one of the best pop albums of the last 10 years. She is so talented. Songs like Alice,  Stupid Love, Rain on Me, Sour Candy & Enigma were the soundtrack to my summer. Love them all.

Mikey Cyrus - Plastic Hearts

Huge Surprise. Some great songs on this - Prisoner,  WTF do I know, the AMAZING Midnight Sky and basically the best ballad of 2020 Angel Like You ( I thought only Hinder wrote ballads this good??)

Peace Out.

onto 2021....should start with a bang with WET, Creye & another Lars album all due Jan. Can't Wait!!

• Like 1

With Spotify as my source of music, I have three lists for my best of 2020

Top 20 releases of 2020

H.E.A.T. - II

Cats In Space - Atlantis

The Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic

Palace - Rock And Roll Radio

Arctic Rain - The One

Brother Firetribe - Feel The Burn

Captain Black Beard - Sonic Forces

Paradise Lost - Obsidian

One Desire - Midnight Empire

Pyogenesis - A Silent Soul Screams Loud

Those Damn Crows - Point Of No Return

Allen/Olzon - Worlds Apart

Gathering Of Kings - Discovery

Fates Warning - Long Day Good Night

Dreams Of Avalon - Beyond The Dream

Sapphire Eyes - Magic Moments

Khymera - Master Of Illusions

Perfect Plan - Time For A Miracle

Tokyo Motor Fist - Lions

Kansas - The Absence Of Presence

Top 20 singles not on albums from my top 20 list

Jason Bieler And The Baron Von Bielski Orchestra - Bring Out Your Dead

Jason Bieler And The Baron Von Bielski Orchestra - Apology

Wig Wam - Never Say Die

Reckless Love - Loaded

Vanishing Point - Salvus

DGM - Surrender

Hell In The Club - We’ll Never Leave The Castle

Shiraz Lane - Broken Into Pieces

Wig Wam - Kilimanjaro

Ozzy Osbourne & Elton John - Ordinary Man

Landfall - Road Of Dreams

Lionville - Every Little Thing (Leads Back To You)

Harem Scarem  - Death Of Me

Joel Hoekstra’s 13 - Hard To Say Goodbye

Jakob Samuel - Stand By You

Harem Scarem - Aftershock

Creye - Face To Face

Frontiers All Stars - Push Through

Coheed And Cambria (w/ Rick Springfield) - Jessie’s Girl 2

Ocean Hills - Santa Monica

Best of "Late to the Party" releases from 2019 that I discovered in 2020

The New Roses - Nothing But Wild

JD Miller - Afterglow

Soilwork - Verkligheten

• Like 1

I didn't listen to a lot of new releases (not that I care that much to be honest, lol). And many of them didn't make me to want to spin them for a 2nd time (some of them mentioned in previous replies :P). Armored Saint is missing from the photo because it's still in transit!

133565138_881607269248715_91942210011933

I can't remember a recent year (since the early days of Lion Music, lol) when I had 2 instrumentals in my top list. 

Those were the  last cds I ever bought,  I won't get cds in  the future, Solitary Sabred (how cool is when your family doctor/buddy/mate/dude/younger brother  is the lead singer in one of your favorite releases), Christian Muenzner (Your  Wing Commander from  a business trip to Valhalla is back with its shreddy, fusionist, melodic, rifftastic -with a plethora of mighty  progressions and arrangements neoclassical flawless metal.  Special note on  the  worshipping of  mighty axemen like Moore/McAlpine/Tafolla from the legendary Shrapnel Recs era) and the mighty Lovebites (I'm already spamming their UK label to release that cd on vinyl, thus far they only released a vinyl EP from the new record). 

Of course, official  vinyl releases of previously only cd releases (or crappy picture discs!) or olde demo tapes were numerous this year. Some of them were like a dream comes true. BÖC's monster Heaven Forbid is still in transit. I won't be surprised if next year's budget is allocated to those kind of  releases.  

133428164_220180799607114_65406207774609

• 2 weeks later...

I laughed when I saw Wes on FB list REECE as his #1 CD of 2020!! 

That album is terrible. Is there a reason everybody sucks up to him? He can't take honest criticism?

Edited by AlphaMale

On 1/10/2021 at 12:39 AM, AlphaMale said:

I laughed when I saw Wes on FB list REECE as his #1 CD of 2020!! 

That album is terrible. Is there a reason everybody sucks up to him? He can't take honest criticism?

that was the most predictable No 1 of 2020 ever.

I thought it sucked too.

problem is you can't really comment on that group as Reece is tagged most of the time !

2 hours ago, Glen said:

that was the most predictable No 1 of 2020 ever.

I thought it sucked too.

problem is you can't really comment on that group as Reece is tagged most of the time !

When you are in a band, you can expect to hear criticism.

Sucking his ass is not really helping the cause. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay chaps, I admit it. I kind of forgot about this a bit. I did re-review most my top 30 to make sure I got this right, but then forgot about it. But, I'm here and I have my final list. 

I forget how I usually do this, but I'll do it in a format kind of similar to the main site one... but with my own sexy spin. 

Albums worth a comment;

630    .    Bon Jovi     -    2020     - I've found reasons to hold on a lot longer than most when it comes to BJ, but this was as bad as it gets. They finally released something that isn't really listenable. :(

624    .    Wolfpakk     -    Nature Strikes Back     - possibly the worst output I've heard from the great Michael Voss. :(

622    .    Hericane Alice     -    Gotta Be Real     - disastrous "come back."

596    .    5 Seconds Of Summer     -    Calm     - so sad to see how far these guys have declined. Probably never for many folk here, but they were a good pop rock band. Now they're just terrible pop. 

554    .    Dynazty     -    The Dark Delight     - jeez, I don't know what it is but I just don't "get" these guys. It's just samey and so unappealing to me, but of course, to each their own. 

529    .    Gotthard     -    #13     - another deeply saddening fall from grace.

527    .    Ramos     -    My Many Sides     - nightmare from a highly regarded artist.

514    .    Broadway Calls     -    Sad in the City     - modern band most of y'all won't know, but they've been really good up until now. Rubbish album in a new and terrible style. 

508    .    The 1975     -    Notes On A Conditional Form     - this does have one of the coolest songs of 2020 but is otherwise pretty bad;

497    .    Unruly Child     -    Our Glass House     - another fallen giant with a terrible album.

424    .    Orianthi     -    O     - really disappointing album from someone who has done decent things in the past.

389    .    Jaded Heart     -    Stand Your Ground     - more falling from grace. 

377    .    Stryper     -    Even The Devil Believes - not my favourite Stryper album, sadly. 

370    .    L.A. Guns     -    Renegades     - misses the mark again.

364    .    Mad Max     -    Stormchild Rising     - disappointing album from otherwise consistent deliverers.

361    .    In This Moment     -    Mother     - really weak album from another once-great band.

356    .    Every Mother's Nightmare     -    Resurrect The Faithful     - was hoping for a bit more, even if not the worst.

354    .    Tokyo Blade     -    Dark Revolution     - again, hoped for better.

352    .    Beverly Killz     -    Iguana Mulata     - and again, a downer from a previously good band.

336    .    Jeff Scott Soto     -    Wide Awake (In My Dreamland)     - really disappointing album from a main-stayer in the melodic rock field. It all sounded okay, but man these songs were sooo poorly written. Really disappointing. 

322    .    Alien     -    Into the Future     - had a couple of moments, but overall a downer too. 

301    .    Chris Antblad     -    Age Of Concord III     - these albums are slowly edging into the "okay" territory, but I hoped for a bit more from this chap. 

288    .    FM     -    Synchronized     - not much to get excited about with this one. 

285    .    Platforms     -    The Future That Never Happened     - some great songs, but a few too many fillers in the mix too.

284    .    The Used     -    Heartwork     - another massive fall from grace.

269    .    Hittman     -    Destroy All Humans     - okay sound but the songs just didn't resonate with me at all.

263    .    Eskimo Callboy     -    MMXX - EP     - so much potential in these guys, but this album's a bit of a mess, which is a shame considering they recruited the lead singer from To The Rats and Wolves, which was one of my favourite albums last year. 

261    .    Framing Hanley     -    Envy     - good album again, but I'd expect these guys so much further up my list. It does have one of the ultimate tunes of 2021 on it, though;

260    .    Girish & The Chronicles     -    Rock the Highway     - this is a good album, but man if they nail the hooks for album two they'll be a force to be reckoned with. 

245    .    Janet Gardner     -    Synergy     - some weak moments but worth a mention for a handful of really cool songs on this one.

227    .    Butch Walker     -    American Love Story     - not great, but easily his best effort in a really, really long time, with some genuinely good songs. Also features one of the highlights on 2020 too;

222    .    Machine Gun Kelly     -    Tickets to My Downfall     - I believe this guy is some pop-rap artist, but tried his hand at pop-rock/punk, and it has it's moments. Worth a spin.

195    .    Laci Violett     -    Laci Violett     - not a bad little album, this one. Solid, if not amazing. 

181    .    Yours Truly     -    Self Care     - good album from a band I really dig - would have actually expected these guys to be in my top 30 or so.

175    .    Hell In The Club     -    Hell Of Fame     - solid album, but another big drop down the ranks for me. 

169    .    Adelitas Way     -    Shine On     - solid again, but always hoping for better.

146    .    Acceptance     -    Bend the Light     -  so solid, but just missing anything great, which I really hoped for.

134    .    Richard Marx        Limitless - some really, really cool songs on this and some of my favourites from the year's playlist. It's not all perfect, but good stuff on this one.

127    .    H.E.R.O.     -    Bad Blood     - solid but wanted more.

125    .    Mest     -    Masquerade     - their last album was such a killer, so this was quite disappointing, despite not being bad. 

119    .    A Life Divided     -    Echoes     - solid album, as usual.

110    .    Silverstein     -    A Beautiful Place To Drown     - slight return to a bit of form, with one of the best songs of 2020 again;

100    .    P.J. Farley     -    Accent The Change     - didn't hear much of this in 2020, but some really cool stuff on here. I was actually pretty impressed with this one - love the first track.

97    .    Stan Bush     -    Dare to Dream     - cringey lyrics, but solid stuff.

95    .    Room Experience     -    Another Time and Place     - I can actually barely remember this already. It was solid, but missed the heights of the debut for sure. 

85    .    Bonfire     -    Fistful Of Fire     - good solid stuff. I diggit.

81    .    Asking Alexandria     -    Like A House On Fire     - bit below par, but a good solid album.

74    .    Imperium        Heaven or Hell     - bit one dimensional, but solid as heck.

69    .    DeVicious     -    Phase Three     - not viciously consistent, but some great stuff on this. 

65    .    Revolution Saints     -    Rise     - solid as usual. Nice.

64    .    Tokyo Motor Fist     -    Lions      - man this one fell down my list like a stone. I still like it, but it was one of those albums that didn't quite have the repeat spin appeal that you'd want from a killer disc. Don't get me wrong - good stuff, but it was in my top 10 before the re-rate. 

55    .    Captain Black Beard     -    Sonic Forces     - real nice surprise from these guys. Quite a pleasant album.

54    .    Michael Grant & The Assassins     -    Always The Villain     - few duds on this, but man the killer tracks are worth the price of admission for sure.

50    .    Kid Fly     -    Pull Yourself Up

49    .    Throw The Fight     -    Settle Your Sins
48    .    Platinum Overdose     -    Back For The Thrill
47    .    From Ashes To New     -    Panic
46    .    Demon in Me     -    Episode 2
45    .    East Temple Avenue     -    Both Sides of Midnight
44    .    Fireflight     -    Who We Are: The Head And The Heart
43    .    Brother Firetribe     -    Feel the Burn
42    .    Boys of Fall     -    Distance
41    .    Heartwind     -    Strangers

40    .    Maggie Cassidy     -    Life Is Beautiful

39    .    Veridian     -    Novella
38    .    The American Classic     -    Forgive
37    .    Bloody Heels     -    Ignite the Sky
36    .    Harem Scarem     -    Change the World
35    .    Jessica Wolff     -    Para Dice
34    .    Roxi Drive     -    Electric Heart
33    .    Back On Earth     -    Brand New Day

32    .    Bearings     -    Hello, It's You

31    .    Glimmers     -    Cluttered Heart

30    .    At The Movies     -    At The Movies
29    .    Perfect Plan     -    Time For A Miracle
28    .    Gathering Of Kings     -    Discovery

27    .    Vega     -    Grit Your Teeth
26    .    Discrepancies     -    The Rise
25    .    NINA     -    Synthian

24    .    Sapphire Eyes     -    Magic Moments
23    .    All Time Low     -    Wake Up, Sunshine

22    .    You vs Yesterday     -    You vs Yesterday

21    .    Jason Lancaster     -    Say I'm What You Want

20    .    Slaves     -    To Better Days     - super consistent, reliable band. Hard not to enjoy anything on this one. 
19    .    The Ragged Saints     -    Sonic Playground Revisited     - replay value wasn't outstanding, but credit to this one - it stuck around from one of the first few weeks of the year. Ended up being a good resilient release. Nice. 
18    .    Stand Atlantic     -    Pink Elephant     - good album helped along in it's standings but the killer 'Blurry' song, which I couldn't stop playing. But a good, strong album. 
17    .    Confess     -    Burn 'em All     - another early release that stayed the distance. I really like this one.
16    .    Arctic Rain     -    The One     - one of the surprises of the year. Good, solid melodic rock with few lowlights. A welcome surprise of the year.
15    .    Girlfriends     -    girlfriends     - and speaking of surprises, didn't know what this was but it caressed my ears with joy and was a good highlight. The scene was set when the first song on the album basically tore my ballsack in two;

14    .    Khymera     -    Master of Illusions     - solid, a bit safe and by the numbers - but reliably good. I diggit. 
13    .    Landfall     -    The Turning Point     - why on earth was no one talking about this in 2020? Was it even in anyone else's list? Great old-school hard rock. It was a tad patchy but you did yourself a disservice if you missed out on songs like this;

And alongside 'Cold words,' I think this was my equal favourite song of 2020... I think;

12    .    Rob Moratti     -    Paragon     - a real surprise to see this chap so far down the list, but I couldn't deny the consistent quality of this album. Just real good from start to end. Impressive.
11    .    American Dream Machine     -    Deadhearts     - a really, really late entry but again, couldn't deny how good this one was. Thanks for Gottardline for the late recommendation. It's a good 'un.

10    .    Palace     -    Rock and Roll Radio     - not all flawless, but a very good amount of the year's better songs on here. When he's good he's exceptionally good. Good album with some great songs.
9    .    One Desire     -    Midnight Empire     - great follow-up and I whole heartedly agree with Dan's assessment that you take a minute off most of these songs and you have yourself a much better album. But it's still killer as it is - nothing but class from these guys. 
8    .    Seaway     -    Big Vibe     - I'll forgive everyone for not acknowledging this as it's modern rock and probably not most people's jam, but holy shit does this have some songs on it. Probably houses the largest amount of my favourite songs on any one album in 2020;

7    .    Catalano     -    Nightfighter     - pure 80's hard rock bliss. Yes the vocals can be a bit harsh, but man I love this stuff. Killer disc. 
6    .    Magic Dance     -    Remnants     - always love anything from this guy, and this is a great listen. Love that this was a grower too, and not just an instant hit. Love it. 

5    .    Broadside     -    Into the Raging Sea     - easily the surprise modern rock album of the year for me. Just so consistently high in quality, with plenty of killer tunes. High quality album.

4    .    Wildness     -    Ultimate Demise     - very nice, consistent melodic rock, and any album with a song like 'Cold Words' on it is going to be hard to keep out of my top 5. Thankfully the rest is awesome too. 

3    .    Chasing Whisper     -    Phantom Pain     - Okay, so maybe this is the modern rock surprise album of the year for me then. Pure emotive craft from the first to last note on this album. This song blew my mind early in the year, and never stopped doing so. But the consistent passion for their output across this album makes it absolutely impossible to ignore this album;

2    .    H.E.A.T.     -    H.E.A.T. II     - I don't think I really need to explain this one. These guys, when they're on, are basically all I love about music. And in 2020 they were on. Looked the obvious album of the year for more the year, but on re-review, I just couldn't ignore the charm of this one-

1    .    At 1980     -    A Thousand Lives     - I'm assuming this one was a bit light / soft for most and thus didn't really rate a mention. But I love it. Along with the songs I've mentioned above, songs like 'Missing you' will forever be the soundtrack of what 2020 was to me. Some might call this a "guilty pleasure," but for me it's outright deliciousness. Every song on it is great. 

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Okay chaps, I admit it. I kind of forgot about this a bit. I did re-review most my top 30 to make sure I got this right, but then forgot about it. But, I'm here and I have my final list. 

I forget how I usually do this, but I'll do it in a format kind of similar to the main site one... but with my own sexy spin. 

Albums worth a comment;

630    .    Bon Jovi     -    2020     - I've found reasons to hold on a lot longer than most when it comes to BJ, but this was as bad as it gets. They finally released something that isn't really listenable. :(

624    .    Wolfpakk     -    Nature Strikes Back     - possibly the worst output I've heard from the great Michael Voss. :(

596    .    5 Seconds Of Summer     -    Calm     - so sad to see how far these guys have declined. Probably never for many folk here, but they were a good pop rock band. Now they're just terrible pop. 

554    .    Dynazty     -    The Dark Delight     - jeez, I don't know what it is but I just don't "get" these guys. It's just samey and so unappealing to me, but of course, to each their own. 

529    .    Gotthard     -    #13     - another deeply saddening fall from grace.

527    .    Ramos     -    My Many Sides     - nightmare from a highly regarded artist.

514    .    Broadway Calls     -    Sad in the City     - modern band most of y'all won't know, but they've been really good up until now. Rubbish album in a new and terrible style. 

508    .    The 1975     -    Notes On A Conditional Form     - this does have one of the coolest songs of 2020 but is otherwise pretty bad;

497    .    Unruly Child     -    Our Glass House     - another fallen giant with a terrible album.

424    .    Orianthi     -    O     - really disappointing album from someone who has done decent things in the past.

389    .    Jaded Heart     -    Stand Your Ground     - more falling from grace. 

377    .    Stryper     -    Even The Devil Believes - not my favourite Stryper album, sadly. 

364    .    Mad Max     -    Stormchild Rising     - disappointing album from otherwise consistent deliverers.

361    .    In This Moment     -    Mother     - really weak album from another once-great band.

356    .    Every Mother's Nightmare     -    Resurrect The Faithful     - was hoping for a bit more, even if not the worst.

352    .    Beverly Killz     -    Iguana Mulata     - and again, a downer from a previously good band.

336    .    Jeff Scott Soto     -    Wide Awake (In My Dreamland)     - really disappointing album from a main-stayer in the melodic rock field. It all sounded okay, but man these songs were sooo poorly written. Really disappointing. 

322    .    Alien     -    Into the Future     - had a couple of moments, but overall a downer too. 

301    .    Chris Antblad     -    Age Of Concord III     - these albums are slowly edging into the "okay" territory, but I hoped for a bit more from this chap. 

288    .    FM     -    Synchronized     - not much to get excited about with this one. 

285    .    Platforms     -    The Future That Never Happened     - some great songs, but a few too many fillers in the mix too.

269    .    Hittman     -    Destroy All Humans     - okay sound but the songs just didn't resonate with me at all.

263    .    Eskimo Callboy     -    MMXX - EP     - so much potential in these guys, but this album's a bit of a mess, which is a shame considering they recruited the lead singer from To The Rats and Wolves, which was one of my favourite albums last year. 

261    .    Framing Hanley     -    Envy     - good album again, but I'd expect these guys so much further up my list. It does have one of the ultimate tunes of 2021 on it, though;

260    .    Girish & The Chronicles     -    Rock the Highway     - this is a good album, but man if they nail the hooks for album two they'll be a force to be reckoned with. 

245    .    Janet Gardner     -    Synergy     - some weak moments but worth a mention for a handful of really cool songs on this one.

227    .    Butch Walker     -    American Love Story     - not great, but easily his best effort in a really, really long time, with some genuinely good songs. Also features one of the highlights on 2020 too;

222    .    Machine Gun Kelly     -    Tickets to My Downfall     - I believe this guy is some pop-rap artist, but tried his hand at pop-rock/punk, and it has it's moments. Worth a spin.

195    .    Laci Violett     -    Laci Violett     - not a bad little album, this one. Solid, if not amazing. 

181    .    Yours Truly     -    Self Care     - good album from a band I really dig - would have actually expected these guys to be in my top 30 or so.

175    .    Hell In The Club     -    Hell Of Fame     - solid album, but another big drop down the ranks for me. 

169    .    Adelitas Way     -    Shine On     - solid again, but always hoping for better.

146    .    Acceptance     -    Bend the Light     -  so solid, but just missing anything great, which I really hoped for.

134    .    Richard Marx        Limitless - some really, really cool songs on this and some of my favourites from the year's playlist. It's not all perfect, but good stuff on this one.

125    .    Mest     -    Masquerade     - their last album was such a killer, so this was quite disappointing, despite not being bad. 

110    .    Silverstein     -    A Beautiful Place To Drown     - slight return to a bit of form, with one of the best songs of 2020 again;

100    .    P.J. Farley     -    Accent The Change     - didn't hear much of this in 2020, but some really cool stuff on here. I was actually pretty impressed with this one - love the first track.

97    .    Stan Bush     -    Dare to Dream     - cringey lyrics, but solid stuff.

95    .    Room Experience     -    Another Time and Place     - I can actually barely remember this already. It was solid, but missed the heights of the debut for sure. 

81    .    Asking Alexandria     -    Like A House On Fire     - bit below par, but a good solid album.

74    .    Imperium        Heaven or Hell     - bit one dimensional, but solid as heck.

69    .    DeVicious     -    Phase Three     - not viciously consistent, but some great stuff on this. 

64    .    Tokyo Motor Fist     -    Lions      - man this one fell down my list like a stone. I still like it, but it was one of those albums that didn't quite have the repeat spin appeal that you'd want from a killer disc. Don't get me wrong - good stuff, but it was in my top 10 before the re-rate. 

55    .    Captain Black Beard     -    Sonic Forces     - real nice surprise from these guys. Quite a pleasant album.

54    .    Michael Grant & The Assassins     -    Always The Villain     - few duds on this, but man the killer tracks are worth the price of admission for sure.

20    .    Slaves     -    To Better Days     - super consistent, reliable band. Hard not to enjoy anything on this one. 
19    .    The Ragged Saints     -    Sonic Playground Revisited     - replay value wasn't outstanding, but credit to this one - it stuck around from one of the first few weeks of the year. Ended up being a good resilient release. Nice. 
18    .    Stand Atlantic     -    Pink Elephant     - good album helped along in it's standings but the killer 'Blurry' song, which I couldn't stop playing. But a good, strong album. 
17    .    Confess     -    Burn 'em All     - another early release that stayed the distance. I really like this one.
16    .    Arctic Rain     -    The One     - one of the surprises of the year. Good, solid melodic rock with few lowlights. A welcome surprise of the year.
15    .    Girlfriends     -    girlfriends     - and speaking of surprises, didn't know what this was but it caressed my ears with joy and was a good highlight. The scene was set when the first song on the album basically tore my ballsack in two;

14    .    Khymera     -    Master of Illusions     - solid, a bit safe and by the numbers - but reliably good. I diggit. 
13    .    Landfall     -    The Turning Point     - why on earth was no one talking about this in 2020? Was it even in anyone else's list? Great old-school hard rock. It was a tad patchy but you did yourself a disservice if you missed out on songs like this;

And alongside 'Cold words,' I think this was my equal favourite song of 2020... I think;

12    .    Rob Moratti     -    Paragon     - a real surprise to see this chap so far down the list, but I couldn't deny the consistent quality of this album. Just real good from start to end. Impressive.
11    .    American Dream Machine     -    Deadhearts     - a really, really late entry but again, couldn't deny how good this one was. Thanks for Gottardline for the late recommendation. It's a good 'un.

10    .    Palace     -    Rock and Roll Radio     - not all flawless, but a very good amount of the year's better songs on here. When he's good he's exceptionally good. Good album with some great songs.
9    .    One Desire     -    Midnight Empire     - great follow-up and I whole heartedly agree with Dan's assessment that you take a minute off most of these songs and you have yourself a much better album. But it's still killer as it is - nothing but class from these guys. 
8    .    Seaway     -    Big Vibe     - I'll forgive everyone for not acknowledging this as it's modern rock and probably not most people's jam, but holy shit does this have some songs on it. Probably houses the largest amount of my favourite songs on any one album in 2020;

7    .    Catalano     -    Nightfighter     - pure 80's hard rock bliss. Yes the vocals can be a bit harsh, but man I love this stuff. Killer disc. 
6    .    Magic Dance     -    Remnants     - always love anything from this guy, and this is a great listen. Love that this was a grower too, and not just an instant hit. Love it. 

5    .    Broadside     -    Into the Raging Sea     - easily the surprise modern rock album of the year for me. Just so consistently high in quality, with plenty of killer tunes. High quality album.

4    .    Wildness     -    Ultimate Demise     - very nice, consistent melodic rock, and any album with a song like 'Cold Words' on it is going to be hard to keep out of my top 5. Thankfully the rest is awesome too. 

3    .    Chasing Whisper     -    Phantom Pain     - Okay, so maybe this is the modern rock surprise album of the year for me then. Pure emotive craft from the first to last note on this album. This song blew my mind early in the year, and never stopped doing so. But the consistent passion for their output across this album makes it absolutely impossible to ignore this album;

2    .    H.E.A.T.     -    H.E.A.T. II     - I don't think I really need to explain this one. These guys, when they're on, are basically all I love about music. And in 2020 they were on. Looked the obvious album of the year for more the year, but on re-review, I just couldn't ignore the charm of this one-

1    .    At 1980     -    A Thousand Lives     - I'm assuming this one was a bit light / soft for most and thus didn't really rate a mention. But I love it. Along with the songs I've mentioned above, songs like 'Missing you' will forever be the soundtrack of what 2020 was to me. Some might call this a "guilty pleasure," but for me it's outright deliciousness. Every song on it is great. 

image.png

image.png

Yeah, but did you even listen to music last year? ;}

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Albums worth a comment;

image.png

image.png

What sites do you frequent to keep you up to date with the Modern Rock stuff? If not for you, I would never hear of most of them. I just wait for your lists, which then means I'm never listening to them in the year they were released. 

4 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

If not for you, I would never hear of most of them. I just wait for your lists, which then means I'm never listening to them in the year they were released. 

True. 

Btw love those Seaway songs. I came across this band on some website and Spotify a couple of times but never bothered to check them out. I think it was probably their name that didn't appeal to me at all. I was wrong. 

5 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

What sites do you frequent to keep you up to date with the Modern Rock stuff? If not for you, I would never hear of most of them. I just wait for your lists, which then means I'm never listening to them in the year they were released. 

I'm sad to say that I am rudderless now and almost completely without reference. It was primarily a download site, but far more than that it was just the most flawless reference site for new modern rock and it was called Kingdom Leaks.

Sadly, as of 31st December 2020 the site completely shut down, after ages. Didn't shut down for anything illegal - dudes just had enough. But without that site as a reference I just have no idea how to find modern rock anymore. The guys set up a new thing on Discord (didn't even know what that was) which is a kind of forum thing which features new releases news and stuff, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as comprehensive and is also really hard to follow / keep track of. I don't know how Discord works, but I think it's still called Kingdom Leaks on Discord, but I'm not sure if it's public or private. 

Honestly, though, I have no idea how I'm going to keep up with modern rock from 2021 onwards because every single other reference site I've been directed to is shit. None really cater for the stuff that appeals to me - the more melodic stuff. Yeah, not going to lie... going to be a struggle from here on in, which is sad, as I need that variety. 

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Geoff said:

I'm sad to say that I am rudderless now and almost completely without reference. It was primarily a download site, but far more than that it was just the most flawless reference site for new modern rock and it was called Kingdom Leaks.

Sadly, as of 31st December 2020 the site completely shut down, after ages. Didn't shut down for anything illegal - dudes just had enough. But without that site as a reference I just have no idea how to find modern rock anymore. The guys set up a new thing on Discord (didn't even know what that was) which is a kind of forum thing which features new releases news and stuff, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as comprehensive and is also really hard to follow / keep track of. I don't know how Discord works, but I think it's still called Kingdom Leaks on Discord, but I'm not sure if it's public or private. 

Honestly, though, I have no idea how I'm going to keep up with modern rock from 2021 onwards because every single other reference site I've been directed to is shit. None really cater for the stuff that appeals to me - the more melodic stuff. Yeah, not going to lie... going to be a struggle from here on in, which is sad, as I need that variety. 

Yeah, everyone's on Discord now, and it's not really that great. It's maybe slightly better than FaceTubes in regards to having a conversation about a band, or album, without being interrupted a million times by people discussing something else entirely different (ie. the Melodic Mafia group), because you're able to create separate threads for different topics of conversation. But that can only be done by admin and moderators, and would be a lot of work. In the end, forums like this are still the only way to go. 

I'll check out their Discord server. See how it's run. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Yeah, everyone's on Discord now, and it's not really that great. It's maybe slightly better than FaceTubes in regards to having a conversation about a band, or album, without being interrupted a million times by people discussing something else entirely different (ie. the Melodic Mafia group), because you're able to create separate threads for different topics of conversation. But that can only be done by admin and moderators, and would be a lot of work. In the end, forums like this are still the only way to go. 

I'll check out their Discord server. See how it's run. 

I was also a fan of Kingdom Leaks and discovered many albums of different genres through the site - Really sad to see it close but fair enough to the mods. 

I am on the Discord server (private) and it’s not a patch on the site. There are music discussion tabs that alert you to upcoming or newly announced releases. The music tabs are split in to genres which is handy but doesn't flow as good as the original site. I guess you could still pick up new artists but you’d have to extensively search. 

It’s great to check out new music from more modern and current bands but now KL is no more I feel it could be more difficult. I use Apple Music, social media and other sites to help discover new music and if any of us find something worth listening to id hope a thread goes up on the forum! 

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
On 2/2/2021 at 1:13 PM, Geoff said:

I did a quick Reddit search, and came across a few sites to check out. I never knew of Kingdom Leaks, so I have no idea how these compare, but give them a look.

https://phoenix-leaks.boards.net/ This one hasn't gone live, yet. They are claiming it should be the same as Kingdom Leaks. I guess that's what the name would mean.

https://exystence.net/

https://coreradio.ru/

https://www.deadpulpit.com/

https://newalbumreleases.net/

I haven't actually checked any of these myself. Just came across them, and wanted to quickly share them, but don't have time at the moment to search through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I did a quick Reddit search, and came across a few sites to check out. I never knew of Kingdom Leaks, so I have no idea how these compare, but give them a look.

https://phoenix-leaks.boards.net/ This one hasn't gone live, yet. They are claiming it should be the same as Kingdom Leaks. I guess that's what the name would mean.

https://exystence.net/

https://coreradio.ru/

https://www.deadpulpit.com/

https://newalbumreleases.net/

I haven't actually checked any of these myself. Just came across them, and wanted to quickly share them, but don't have time at the moment to search through.

Thanks for the heads up. First one sounds interesting if/when it goes live. Don't be shy to send us a gentle reminder if/when it does. ;)

• 1 month later...
1. Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic
2. Lordi - Killection
3. Harem Scarem - Change The World
4. Amaranthe - Manifest
5. Soilwork - A Whisp Of The Atlantic
6. Hell In The Club - Hell Of Fame
7. Smith & Myers - Volumes 1 & 2
8. Seven Spires - Emerald Seas
9. Unleash The Archers - The Abyss
10. Beyond The Black - Horizons
11. Lucifer - Lucifer III
12. Brothers Of Metal - Emblas Saga
13. Magnum - The Serpent Rings
14. H.e.a.t - H.e.a.t II
15. Amahiru - Amahiru

• My Little Pony
44 minutes ago, tobi is an animal said:
1. Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic
2. Lordi - Killection
3. Harem Scarem - Change The World
4. Amaranthe - Manifest
5. Soilwork - A Whisp Of The Atlantic
6. Hell In The Club - Hell Of Fame
7. Smith & Myers - Volumes 1 & 2
8. Seven Spires - Emerald Seas
9. Unleash The Archers - The Abyss
10. Beyond The Black - Horizons
11. Lucifer - Lucifer III
12. Brothers Of Metal - Emblas Saga
13. Magnum - The Serpent Rings
14. H.e.a.t - H.e.a.t II
15. Amahiru - Amahiru

Glad to see Harem Scarem in your top five.