One Desire - Midnight Empire

Stefan

I agree with most of what's been said here. Not as keen on the production as a lot of you guys - a notch down from the debut, imo. Not in love with the sound and would have liked it a bit meatier. The debut was definitely ballsier. 

But aside from 'Through the fire' and that last ballad, all the songs are either good to great. The length of the songs bothers me quite a bit and almost rendered a few of the tunes as non-keepers because of how they dragged on. But I'll aim to get past it. 

Favourite songs are 'Godsent Exstasy,' which I feel was their grandest attempt at one of the mega hooks that featured a few times on the debut. 'Rio' and 'Heroes' are next best. But I think as a general comment, the thing that's missing most for me (aside from 'Godsent Exstacy') is them really going for the stupid, massive hooks. For me, there's at least 5 songs from the debut that are comfortably better than the best song on here ('Hurt,' 'Love Injection,' 'Turn back time,' 'Whenever I'm dreaming' and 'This is where the heartache begins'). 

But it's good. As Glen said with HS, this band even at their not-best is a hell of a lot better than most bands. 

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

I agree with most of what's been said here. Not as keen on the production as a lot of you guys - a notch down from the debut, imo. Not in love with the sound and would have liked it a bit meatier. The debut was definitely ballsier. 

But aside from 'Through the fire' and that last ballad, all the songs are either good to great. The length of the songs bothers me quite a bit and almost rendered a few of the tunes as non-keepers because of how they dragged on. But I'll aim to get past it. 

Favourite songs are 'Godsent Exstasy,' which I feel was their grandest attempt at one of the mega hooks that featured a few times on the debut. 'Rio' and 'Heroes' are next best. But I think as a general comment, the thing that's missing most for me (aside from 'Godsent Exstacy') is them really going for the stupid, massive hooks. For me, there's at least 5 songs from the debut that are comfortably better than the best song on here ('Hurt,' 'Love Injection,' 'Turn back time,' 'Whenever I'm dreaming' and 'This is where the heartache begins'). 

But it's good. As Glen said with HS, this band even at their not-best is a hell of a lot better than most bands. 

Agree with the comment that there's probably 5 songs on the debut better than the best song here.  And agree it's nowhere near as balsy as the debut and is missing the big hooks.  There was just so much cool variety on that debut.  It was almost poppy in spots, then it would smack you in the face in others and had everything in between.  

This release feels almost one paced to me or something.  And I do struggle with the length of the songs.  I'm not opposed to long songs but for me they're kinda like ballads....Can't have more than one or two longer tunes on an album before it starts to drag.  In a weird way it almost wears me out listening to it.  

I've only had 2 songs here making my "best of" car USB drive.....After You're Gone and Godsent Exstasy.  I think I had 5 or 6 tunes off the debut that made the drive.

For me it's okay but I was expecting way better.

6 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Agree with the comment that there's probably 5 songs on the debut better than the best song here.  And agree it's nowhere near as balsy as the debut and is missing the big hooks.  There was just so much cool variety on that debut.  It was almost poppy in spots, then it would smack you in the face in others and had everything in between.  

This release feels almost one paced to me or something.  And I do struggle with the length of the songs.  I'm not opposed to long songs but for me they're kinda like ballads....Can't have more than one or two longer tunes on an album before it starts to drag.  In a weird way it almost wears me out listening to it.  

I've only had 2 songs here making my "best of" car USB drive.....After You're Gone and Godsent Exstasy.  I think I had 5 or 6 tunes off the debut that made the drive.

For me it's okay but I was expecting way better.

it's far better than OK. but it isn't as good as the debut.

however the debut was I think my 12th or 13th best of the last decade so impossible to follow.

let's call this the difficult sophomore ;)

My top 5 debuts of the past 15 years are

WOA - Artwork 

Brother Firetribe - False Metal

The Magnificent 

One Desire

Night Flight Orchestra - Internal Affairs

So beating the debut was always going to be near impossible. 

Edited by zacharyamelie

54 minutes ago, zacharyamelie said:

WOA - Artwork 

The Magnificent 

One Desire

4 are correct but I'd swap The Magnificent for The Defiants ;)

I'd have Vega, Cats in Space and Degreed ahead too. 

6 minutes ago, Glen said:

Not even close....Defiants top 10....maybe

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, zacharyamelie said:

Not even close....Defiants top 10....maybe

Yeah, I don't know if I agree with your whole list, but I'd take The Magnificent over The Defiants. Any day. 

5 hours ago, zacharyamelie said:

WOA - Artwork 

The Magnificent 

One Desire

4 hours ago, Glen said:

I think that might be worth starting a thread for, if there isn't one already.  And you both picked albums worthy of consideration.  I'd probably slide WOA and NFO down a bit, good albums, just personal preference.  My top 5 debuts during that time frame would be

Brother Firetribe

The Magnificent 

One Desire

First Signal

W.E.T.

But could just as easily have included one of the D2 guys projects as Marcello Vestry, Tokyo Motor Fist and The Defiants all put out great debuts.

5 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Yeah, I don't know if I agree with your whole list, but I'd take The Magnificent over The Defiants. Any day. 

I wouldn't. hasn't aged well imo. I listened to it the other week and it didn't have the same impact on me as when first released.

also I only glanced at my decade list so yeah WET & First Signal would be in the mix if 15 years....plus a few others I guess. 

20 hours ago, zacharyamelie said:

WOA - Artwork 

The Magnificent 

One Desire

W.E.T.
Crazy Lixx
the Magnificent
First Signal
Midnite City
Defiants

Good idea to make this a thread,,,if it does move mine over  :) 

Vega

Midnite City

Defiants

Wig Wam

Cats In Space

Liked the Dynazty,Bloody Heels & Brother Firetribe debuts quite a lot also & that Marcello/Vestry is a stormer but as the highlander once said "There Can Be Only...errrmm 5"  :)

Edited by lettard

Excellent album - Really enjoying this one. Waited a while for a second effort and it hasn’t disappointed. 
Trying to decide if this pips the debut and I think it does.. songwriting and production have been turned up a notch. 

Up there alongside H.E.A.T and Dynazty for my favourites of 2020 so far. 

On 5/29/2020 at 4:44 PM, Glen said:

I wouldn't. hasn't aged well imo. I listened to it the other week and it didn't have the same impact on me as when first released.

also I only glanced at my decade list so yeah WET & First Signal would be in the mix if 15 years....plus a few others I guess. 

Yeah, Defiants over Magnificent with ease for me. Good but heavily overrated album... Though only by a member or two here. I don't believe it's generally that highly regarded is it? 

I haven't given this enough time yet to form an opinion.
I've struggled with Dynazty a bit. Heard it a few times, but that band usually takes a bit longer for me, lieke 5FDP and a few otehrs.
I thought Stephen Pearcy would be the same, but after maybe 10 listens I could only find 2 1/2 keepers :(

• My Little Pony

I can't stop listening to this. I took a page out of Geoffery's book; my favourite tracks are actually the two ballads. But I don't skip any tracks. They're all good. 

I'm liking it a lot too. 

struggle slightly with the track length in places and I'm still not keen on the final ballad but otherwise it's pretty strong throughout.

Comfortable top 10 so far this year.