One Desire - Midnight Empire

Stefan

• 5 weeks later...

I see people on social media starting to post that they have this even though not officially out until tomorrow....So thought I'd bump the discussion.

I've been trying hard to get into this album but it just hasn't clicked for me for whatever reason.  For me, basically there are four songs I'm liking  but aren't overly blowing me away (After You're Gone, Godsent Exstasy, Heroes and Killer Queen) and a couple others that are okay but I could take or leave (Shadowman, Down And Dirty).  Then the other 4 songs are doing nothing for me and I've mostly been skipping those.  I really dislike the ballads here...just finding them super boring. 

Reviews I've seen have all been glowing so maybe I'm missing something.  Or maybe I just had too high of expectations after sitting in quarantine all this time.  But to me this isn't nearly as strong as their debut.  I felt like the debut had a lot more variety and here the up tempo stuff is all starting to feel kinda samey. 

Mine arrived on Tuesday along with the new FM cd,so a little early for a wee change :) as opposed to a few days after everyone else.

I really like it although it isn't as good or indeed immediate as the debut was,but still a very good disc.

• My Little Pony
6 hours ago, tts42572 said:

I see people on social media starting to post that they have this even though not officially out until tomorrow....So thought I'd bump the discussion.

I've been trying hard to get into this album but it just hasn't clicked for me for whatever reason.  For me, basically there are four songs I'm liking  but aren't overly blowing me away (After You're Gone, Godsent Exstasy, Heroes and Killer Queen) and a couple others that are okay but I could take or leave (Shadowman, Down And Dirty).  Then the other 4 songs are doing nothing for me and I've mostly been skipping those.  I really dislike the ballads here...just finding them super boring. 

Reviews I've seen have all been glowing so maybe I'm missing something.  Or maybe I just had too high of expectations after sitting in quarantine all this time.  But to me this isn't nearly as strong as their debut.  I felt like the debut had a lot more variety and here the up tempo stuff is all starting to feel kinda samey. 

But what we're all dying to know is... how does it compare to H.e.a.t?

;}

2 hours ago, Glen said:

but nothing is according to you :lol:

Hey...I put Midnite City's debut ahead of ITGU a few years back so that's something B)

But yeah, no secret H.E.A.T is my favorite band going right now and they do kinda end up setting the bar by which everything else is measured for me.

Either way, still not caring much for this new OD album.

The hooks aren't as instant as the debut.  And I didn't care much for the track order as there were too many mellow songs bunched up in the second half of the album.  But overall I think it's a solid release.  My initial favorites are Shadowman and Rio.  The only tune I'm not caring much for at the moment is the closer Only When I Breathe.  Andrés' tone when he repeats the word "breathe" during the chorus gets a bit annoying for me.

Edited by Crazysam

I’m not understanding the semi negative vibe from many. I think it’s a solid follow up to the fantastic debut. I think in time I will regard the debut as the better release but Midnight Empire is pretty darn good. Love the production and wall of sound of both releases. The lead vocals give these guys a unique sound that you know is One Desire...sorta like Brother Firetribe and H.E.A.T

Edited by zacharyamelie

• My Little Pony
47 minutes ago, zacharyamelie said:

I’m not understanding the semi negative vibe from many. I think it’s solid follow up to the fantastic debut. I think in time I will regard the debut as the better release but Midnight Empire is pretty darn good. Love the production and wall of sound of both releases. The lead vocals give these guys a unique sound that you know is One Desire...sorta like Brother Firetribe and H.E.A.T

And Sturm und Drang?

;}

6 hours ago, zacharyamelie said:

I’m not understanding the semi negative vibe from many. I think it’s a solid follow up to the fantastic debut. I think in time I will regard the debut as the better release but Midnight Empire is pretty darn good. Love the production and wall of sound of both releases. The lead vocals give these guys a unique sound that you know is One Desire...sorta like Brother Firetribe and H.E.A.T

I think it's only natural to have a few comments that are somewhat critical of a follow up of a great release when it simply isn't as good. Sure the production is well done and musically I think they took a step forward with some of the arrangements.  But for me it comes down to the fact that there are fewer standouts and more tracks I'll likely skip on future spins, when compared to the debut.

• Like 1

is the production great? I prefer the sound of the debut for sure. it was cleaner and you hear each instrument and the vocals.

this is more a wall of overproduced sound imo with the vocals and occasionally the guitars slightly buried and inaudible.

the songs are too long as well. anything over 5.30 for a standard melodic rock song is too long imo. I can understand a slightly more proggy approach being longer .

that said most of the songs I like....the ballad at the end is weaker.

gonna give it some more spins and see how it goes.

2 hours ago, Glen said:

is the production great? I prefer the sound of the debut for sure. it was cleaner and you hear each instrument and the vocals.

this is more a wall of overproduced sound imo with the vocals and occasionally the guitars slightly buried and inaudible.

the songs are too long as well. anything over 5.30 for a standard melodic rock song is too long imo. I can understand a slightly more proggy approach being longer .

that said most of the songs I like....the ballad at the end is weaker.

gonna give it some more spins and see how it goes.

True...some of the songs are too long and the closing track is weak and not on my Spotify mix. I love the production and sound...but all my music is on my phone...not the greatest tool to listen to music. 

The songs are just no where near as good as the debut, very disappointed. And yes for average songs, WAY too long!!

• Like 1

I've spun through 3 times now and it's actually rather good. As I said aside from the closing ballad I really like the songs.

Some real growers and great guitar work. 

my early favs are Down n dirty, Godsend & K!ller Queen 

I dig this a lot, only "Battlefield of Love" and "Killer Queen" didn't do much for me, but the rest are top notch imo.

"Through the Fire" is a bomb, sounds like a mixture of two amazing songs "Son of a Loaded Gun" and "Dry County"

I'm sure this will hold up nicely to the outstanding debut. I'm Happy!

I've had a chance to listen through several times now, and while not as immediate as the debut, it's a very good album. While they've always had a bit of a H.E.A.T./Eclipse vibe to them, it seems like they're now trying to infuse Dare into the mix, and while it makes for some great instrumentals and atmosphere in places, it also creates the biggest problem for the album: some of the songs get downright fatiguing in their length:

Shadowman - 6:33

After You're Gone - 5:25

Down and Dirty - 4:33

Godsent Extasy - 4:00

Through the Fire - 6:49

Heroes - 4:20

Rio - 4:39

Battlefield of Love - 5:48

Killer Queen - 4:20

Only When I Breathe - 5:16

That's 5 out of 10 songs with lengths over 5 minutes and not a single song under 4 minutes.

More isn't always better. There were a few times I found myself thinking "Yeah this sounds wonderful but can we please get on to the next song?"

Yeah I am enjoying this a lot 

I do think the debut is slightly better but this isn't far off it for me 

Doesn't seem to be getting much love but I really like Battlefield of Love 

Through the fire , Shadowman and after you're gone would be my other picks 

• My Little Pony

I think it's a great album. No disappointments at all. And you lot already know I'm weird, and like long songs, so that's not an issue. 

Overall, I love this album.  "After You're Gone" is definitely my favorite track.  I do think it drags a bit in the middle but is overall really good.  I will agree with those mentioning some of the tracks are too long.  I'd also mention, I could really, really do without the voiceover/talking during "Shadowman".  Just gimme the song, not the dumb talking, thank you.