Unruly Child - Can't Go Home

Stefan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a good cd,still not in line with the classic debut but still sounds just like who it is...Unruly Child,for me better than worlds collide which isn't pushing the boat out at all...but still an enjoyable listen

I like the songs on the album. I think it is definitely arguably their second best album, song-wise. The problem? And for me it's a pretty big problem. The album just sounds... there's no other word for it other than "soft."

And I don't mean that in an I'm so fucking metal and I hate AOR type way. Like I say, I really like the songs. I think they're very good. And it's not that it's a bad production job, as such. The album seems to be recorded well, but it is just... soft. The drums pitter and patter along and there's just no balls at all to the album. No bite or punch. It just sounds so... soft. ;) No other word for it.

Like I said, songs are good and there are some nice melodies. No real weak fillers either. They've done well, song-wise... except in the sound quality department. I even turned this one up five more notches on my car stereo than my default, just to try and get something from it, sonically, but I got nothing out of it at all.

Time will tell how impactful the sound quality is on my overall enjoyment of the album.

I like the songs on the album. I think it is definitely arguably their second best album, song-wise. The problem? And for me it's a pretty big problem. The album just sounds... there's no other word for it other than "soft."

And I don't mean that in an I'm so fucking metal and I hate AOR type way. Like I say, I really like the songs. I think they're very good. And it's not that it's a bad production job, as such. The album seems to be recorded well, but it is just... soft. The drums pitter and patter along and there's just no balls at all to the album. No bite or punch. It just sounds so... soft. ;) No other word for it.

Like I said, songs are good and there are some nice melodies. No real weak fillers either. They've done well, song-wise... except in the sound quality department. I even turned this one up five more notches on my car stereo than my default, just to try and get something from it, sonically, but I got nothing out of it at all.

Time will tell how impactful the sound quality is on my overall enjoyment of the album.

SOFT, is the correct word! Lol

Yeah, if they're going for an AOR style I am totally cool with that. No issues at all. But there is no reason in the world that this has to mean you can't have a strong, beefy production job. Take someone like FM, for example. You could argue FM and Unruly Child are probably aiming for roughly the same market. FM's albums are AOR, but they sound excellent. Strong, clear drums and a nice clean and ballsy overall sound, even if it is AOR.

I personally would have liked to hear these songs with that production.

Wow.... I agree with Geoff.... again!

This is a solid disc with some nice melodies but I'm 100% in agreement that it's just too damn soft.

I was really hoping for a debut type album. But this kinda picks up where Down The Rabbit Hole left off. Just too much "softness" and not enough bite.

• 2023 Gold Donors

FM's albums are AOR, but they sound excellent. Strong, clear drums and a nice clean and ballsy overall sound, even if it is AOR.

"Ballsy". Interesting choice of words.

• My Little Pony

FM's albums are AOR, but they sound excellent. Strong, clear drums and a nice clean and ballsy overall sound, even if it is AOR.

I think 'ballsy' is one word. Though, I could be wrong. Folk 'round here often say I am.

;}

Play a Tokyo Motor Fist song after this and the difference is huge.

Yeah, I'm not even gonna try this one out.

I like TMF because it's not as soft as recent Ted stuff, but it's still about as soft as I want to o personally.

Which makes this Unruly Child off the table fr me...

• 2023 Gold Donors

I think 'ballsy' is one word. Though, I could be wrong. Folk 'round here often say I am.

;}

Yes you are correct, it is one word, but it was an interesting choice from a selection of words that could have been used.

You just read it incorrectly.

It's okay mate, it doesn't surprise me.

You are from Canadia after all.

Yep, immense difference. Love the TMF production job.

Confess is even better imo....immense sound.

Agree! That Confess is a scorcher!!

Agree! That Confess is a scorcher!!

I think we can just say that every release will sound better than Unruly Child.

It was just the way it panned out today, but I played the Lionville album and this one back to back. It was like Lionville played a set on my stereo, and then the drummer and bass player packed up their gear and decided to go home. And the rest of the guys played Unruly Child's set. Even after a blatantly AOR AOR band, this just sounds so, soooo piss weak. :(

This album didn't gel well with me at all.

The songs seem very difficult to get into, and given the piss weak sound I'm not sure I want to persevere.

:(

The songs seem very difficult to get into, and given the piss weak sound I'm not sure I want to persevere.

What he said! I am absolutely LOVE this band.

It's definitely a unique album. They have a sound/style on this album which will not be confused with anyone else at all this year, which I guess is commendable. I think it is because there does still seem to be those prog undertones somewhere amongst it all. They are barely evident at all, but I just detect them lying layers beneath the surface every now and then.

But the melodies and the way this sounds... it's definitely not like another album that will be released this year.

I do think it is a shame that the terrible production has actually robbed people of finding out what this album and it's songs are really like. Because like you say, the paper thin sound will not encourage anyone to look any further into what could have been an interesting album, if nothing else.

• 2 years later...