R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister - dead at 70

Fat Freddy

101219-Lemmy-640x426-640x426.png

I wish I could call B.S. on this cuz Lord knows there have been a few hoaxes recently during his health scares, but this looks legit to me. Dammit. R.I.P. boss man.

MOTÖRHEAD mainman Lemmy died earlier today at the age of 70, it has been confirmed by his manager.

Lemmy dealt with some serious health issues recently, forcing the indulgent rock legend to scale back on alcohol and kick his cigarette habit. Though Lemmy had made some positive steps forward, he had been struggling with poor health in recent months, leading to MOTÖRHEAD's touring schedule being disrupted.

The rock icon recently claimed that he was doing just fine and was people to stop asking about his health.

He told Classic Rock: "I'm sick of the f*cking, 'Are you going to die?' line of questioning. It's getting really old, that question. I’m alright. I'm going out there and doing my best.

"I have good days and bad days but mostly I've been doing alright. The last tour of the States was very good."

Lemmy, who turned 70 years old on December 24, told Classic Rock he had no intention of retiring.

He said: "It's when you get to 60 when everything starts to go pear-shaped. Everyone thinks that becoming an older guy is easy, but you never consider it fully. It comes as quite a shock. But the thing is, I don't want to give in to it."

Lemmy previously said that he didn't expect to still be here at 30.

This news has saddened me more than i thought it would, I've always admired the way Lemmy went about his business and looked forward to hearing his music and what he had to say, It amazed me he could survive the lifestyle he chose and be so blasé about it all. It's a blessing he only knew of his terrible fate for only a few days. RIP

Very sad news - RIP, big man.

This news has saddened me more than i thought it would, I've always admired the way Lemmy went about his business and looked forward to hearing his music and what he had to say, It amazed me he could survive the lifestyle he chose and be so blasé about it all. It's a blessing he only knew of his terrible fate for only a few days. RIP

Yeah, we've probably all read it now, but the Blabbermouth article doesn't mention the fact that it was in fact a very aggressive cancer that was discovered - as far as I understood it - basically on his birthday, on the 26th of December, and then a couple of days later he was gone. Pretty heavy.

In all honesty, I never got into his/their music, but no doubting he was an icon of the hard rock / metal genre. May he rest in peace.

From what I've read this was the end of a longer time of the disease.
Dare say it progressed to the point where he was pretty ill a few days ago.

Never a fan of his music, but he was a legend to many.

Dee Snider has a great story about what Lemmy did for TS, as I';m sure many bands do.

He said he didn't think he'd make 30 at one point I think, so I guess 70 was quite an achievement in a way...

It's a slow day @ work so I was able to bash out a quick blog about Lemmy's passing. I hope I did the man justice. Let me know what y'all think:

12807632_f260.jpg

http://hubpages.com/entertainment/RIP-Lemmy-Kilmister-of-Motrhead-1945-2015

Awesome job Keith, great article or blog.

I was never a big fan of the music but I surely respected the legend that Lemmy was in the Metal world.

RIP

He fought well the ol' rocker, may he rest in peace.

So I picked up Motörhead's latest (and last) CD, Bad Magic, on my way home from work last night. I've been meaning to buy it since it came out in late summer, but never got round to it till now.

I've only had time to give it one quick spin but so far I already like it better than the last one (Aftershock) - it seems more aggressive, with catchier hooks. Makes me wonder if Lemmy knew on some level that it was gonna be his last record, so he kicked it up a notch to go out on a high note.

It's certainly the best album they have done for at least 3-4 releases and a pretty good way to bow out. I still can't believe there won't be any more albums...a very very sad day in rock'n' roll history

I'm betting the Grim Reaper is looking a bit worse for wear now - probably missing a few teeth from a Rickenbacker across the chops.

• 6 years later...