STATION - Wired EP

Stefan

Like the majority here, I think this is an excellent debut. Not mind blowingly awesome but very good and no real complaints from me. Hopefully they stay around and release a follow up that blows this one away.

It's funny I remember when Heat first came on the scene as Dreamer and I heard a demo of Keep on Dreaming for the first time...I remember I emailed the band telling them they were awesome and said that song was the best thing to be released in the last 10 or 15 years. Then they went on to do huge things as Heat. Hopefully Station can do similar things and become frontrunners in the AOR/MHR scene.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious what your thoughts are after more spins?

This CD has really grown on me the second and third time through it. I mean, I liked it from the start but it's went to a different level after even more spins. As of now, I'd say it's my favorite debut CD in recent memory and I really might put this in my top 15-20 albums of the past 5-10 years if I were making a list.

I think part of it is just that I haven't heard a young band putting out something with such a cool retro feel to it in a long time and doing it without sounding like tryhard copycats. I suppose for me the closest comparison might be somebody like H.e.a.t....but I'm not sure if that's really a good comparison or not.

I just hear elements of various 80's bands in these guys. I hear elements of 80's era Bon Jovi, Leppard, Tesla, Winger, Trixter, Tyketto, etc. It's just melodic rock bliss to me and there is a good amount of variety within the 15 songs on the CD with everything from rock to mid tempo to ballads being covered. Normally I might say that 71 minutes and 15 songs is too much but I sorta appreciate that these guys have tossed it all out there.

Sorry I've hyped them a few times in this thread...will try to tone it down....but just really enjoying this CD :)

Ordered the CD and got an immediate download, so had a quick spin today. Really good, 80's retro sound with a good production. At 15 tracks and over 70 minutes, lots to get your teeth into. Will report back once I've spun it a bit more

I also hear elements of Jamie St James from Black n Blue in his voice.

Like the majority here, I think this is an excellent debut. Not mind blowingly awesome but very good and no real complaints from me. Hopefully they stay around and release a follow up that blows this one away.

It's funny I remember when Heat first came on the scene as Dreamer and I heard a demo of Keep on Dreaming for the first time...I remember I emailed the band telling them they were awesome and said that song was the best thing to be released in the last 10 or 15 years. Then they went on to do huge things as Heat. Hopefully Station can do similar things and become frontrunners in the AOR/MHR scene.

Yeah mate, I agree. It's a really cool album and will hopefully act as the perfect platform to a mind-blowing second album.

I'm really digging but if I had to put my critique shoes on, I feel like there's a few tunes here that don't really put the band's best foot forward. Stuff like 'Bitter with the better' (wtf?), 'More than enough,' 'Wildest dreams' and 'Shot of life,' for instance, are all nice hard rockers. But a little basic and dare I say non-essential to the disc. Don't get me wrong, I am digging the album and play it from start to end every time and look forward to doing so, but yeah, just a few songs that could have been better with a bit more effort, I feel.

Anyway, it's a great album and easily one of the year's best so far.

the first 5 songs on this are fantastic but after that it dips a little I think, and the chorus on bitter with the better almost ruins a good song. Overall though it's a fantastic debut album and I hope there is a 2nd album soon, don't know if it's just me but I get a real Baton Rouge/Babylon Ad vibe from them :guitar:

the first 5 songs on this are fantastic but after that it dips a little I think, and the chorus on bitter with the better almost ruins a good song. Overall though it's a fantastic debut album and I hope there is a 2nd album soon, don't know if it's just me but I get a real Baton Rouge/Babylon Ad vibe from them :guitar:

agreed.

Love the first 4-5 tracks then it kinda drops off a cliff in the middle with 3-4 very average rockers and one overlong ballad.

Picks up again towards the end and the last track was pretty cool.

Would definitely have been better as a 10 track disc......for a change I agree that the ballads are the best songs which is unusual for me.....not sure if that's because the ballads are really good (one certainly is....track 4 I think) or the rockers are just pretty average (there are at least 3 or 4 really good ones).

Overall I like it, but agree with most that the second album could be pretty special.

Yeah, I'm happy to have all the tunes, but no doubt at all a 10 track disc minus the average rockers would have really set the world alight.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some really good tracks early on here, especially 'True Believer' with that infectious guitar riff in the verse..(my vote for the albums highlight), along with 'Are You Sleeping Alone', I Don't Want To Know Your Name' and 'One And Only' later on. Loved the guitar work throughout, although I can take or leave the vocals on certain songs...not bad , not great and the mix of the rhythm section could be a bit more pronounced to give it a bit more beef. As others have said, it does dip a bit in the middle and picks up again towards the end, but this is due I think to too many tracks (snip it by 3 or 4) and maybe change the running order a little. Do that and you have a great little debut album with a lot to commend

Have spent a ton of time with this album since it was released and it basically hasn't left my player.

Really digging it for what it is....basically just throwback melodic rock.

Highlights for me are Everything, Are You Sleeping Alone, True Believer. Also really like With Me Tonight as the guitar work and tempo of that song sorta give me a Def Leppard Hysteria type vibe. Really though, I pretty much enjoy the whole thing.

Sure, it's a tad long at 15 songs. But I saw an interview with them saying they basically just wanted to throw it all out there because they didn't know if they'd have the chance to do a second album....So I can respect that.

Still feeling like it's a pretty darn solid debut CD and I know I'd go see them live off this album if I had the opportunity :)

There are some really good tracks early on here, especially 'True Believer' with that infectious guitar riff in the verse..(my vote for the albums highlight), along with 'Are You Sleeping Alone', I Don't Want To Know Your Name' and 'One And Only' later on. Loved the guitar work throughout, although I can take or leave the vocals on certain songs...not bad , not great and the mix of the rhythm section could be a bit more pronounced to give it a bit more beef. As others have said, it does dip a bit in the middle and picks up again towards the end, but this is due I think to too many tracks (snip it by 3 or 4) and maybe change the running order a little. Do that and you have a great little debut album with a lot to commend

Agree on the rhythm section being more pronounced, would have beefed it up and made it better. Still like it a lot though!!!

Yeah, my main hope if they get to the second album would definitely be for a nice beefy sound. My favourite tune, for the record, is 'Are you sleeping alone.'

There will be a second CD.. it is amazing how fast Chris and Pat can write quality songs. No doubt a second full length release is coming.

I saw an interview with Chris and he said they already have enough songs written for the next CD :)

There will be a second CD.. it is amazing how fast Chris and Pat can write quality songs. No doubt a second full length release is coming.

Anyone have the self titled full length release yet..? Thoughts?

Anyone have the self titled full length release yet..? Thoughts?

I know I've already stated some thoughts on this above but bears repeating as I really am enjoying this CD. I've basically had it on repeat for the past month and it's still sounding fresh to me. My personal top 5 songs from this album in order are probably Are You Sleeping Alone, Everything, With Me Tonight, I Don't Want To Know Your Name and True Believer. However, I really like just about all the songs on the album and there are a couple ballads and a few rockers to add variety and keep it interesting throughout.

I haven't seen too many reviews of this album on any of the site's I frequent which kind of surprises me. I think this album deserves some attention in the melodic rock circles. Here is one small review I did find but it really doesn't say to much in detail:

http://www.examiner.com/article/station-s-debut-album-is-a-fun-ride

I just think it's a very solid debut CD with good production, riffs, harmonies, hooks, etc and I feel pretty confident in saying this will easily be my debut album of the year. Heck, it's probably my favorite debut album over the past 5 years. I'm not sure exactly who I'd compare these guys to for reference, but I sort of get a vibe of being some combination of Trixter, Tyketto, Firehouse, Tesla and even some 80's Def Leppard elements. At the same time though, they have an original sound and don't sound copycat at all.

I personally think it's tough to find new bands like this putting out this type of music and doing it well, especially here in the US. I hope this album starts getting the attention it deserves on some of the bigger music media sites with reviews, interviews, etc. Also hope these guys can continue landing some gigs as I'd like to see them live.

They've got me hooked and if they announced album #2, I'd preorder it right now :)

New video released...Really like this tune. It's a good change of pace in it's placement on the album and reminds me a bit of Hysteria by Def Leppard in it's structure.

Good ballad! A total 80's power ballad