The MR.com 100% club & perfect ratings in general

whiplash1972

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's nothing on Pull to compare to the brilliance of songs like 'Pull Me Under', 'Always Within Me' or 'Witness' from Karma......those songs are just genius IMO,

Is your copy of 'Pull' missing 'Junkyard Dog,' 'Spell I'm under' and 'No man's land?'

because it encompasses all the good things from s/t to IV

I didn't know there was anything good from 'IV' at all. Except maybe the sound of me excluding it from my CD collection. ;)

yup i see many people dislike IV here, that's understandable because it's even darker than the previous three, and they add some prog spices there, no more naughty licks like the first two, don't know but it's a total grower on me and i see it's a natural evolution from 'Pull'.

'Four Leaf Clover', 'On A Day Like Today', 'Your Great Escape', and 'Short Flight To Mexico' are the best tracks and should be an instant fave to any Winger fan, but i think 'Right Up Ahead', 'Blue Suede Shoes', and 'Livin Just To Die' are good tracks as well. 'Generica' is probably the worst of the bunch but funny thing after i saw the DVD they performed it live, suddenly it's not as bad as I first listened to it, 'M16' as I recall, has a powerful and great verse, but could be better with better chorus, and I forgot the rest, needs to take a listen again.

i think it's sitting between 7.5 - 8 for me and glad that Winger never made any bad album at all, just like Cinderella and Tesla did, but maybe it's only a perspective from a fan's point of view :popcorn:

I didn't know there was anything good from 'IV' at all. Except maybe the sound of me excluding it from my CD collection. ;)

yup i see many people dislike IV here, that's understandable because it's even darker than the previous three, and they add some prog spices there, no more naughty licks like the first two, don't know but it's a total grower on me and i see it's a natural evolution from 'Pull'.

'Four Leaf Clover', 'On A Day Like Today', 'Your Great Escape', and 'Short Flight To Mexico' are the best tracks and should be an instant fave to any Winger fan, but i think 'Right Up Ahead', 'Blue Suede Shoes', and 'Livin Just To Die' are good tracks as well. 'Generica' is probably the worst of the bunch but funny thing after i saw the DVD they performed it live, suddenly it's not as bad as I first listened to it, 'M16' as I recall, has a powerful and great verse, but could be better with better chorus, and I forgot the rest, needs to take a listen again.

i think it's sitting between 7.5 - 8 for me and glad that Winger never made any bad album at all, just like Cinderella and Tesla did, but maybe it's only a perspective from a fan's point of view :popcorn:

Yeah, sorry mate. I'd agree that a few select bands like Tesla, Cinderella and Slaughter never made a bad CD, but to me Winger's 'IV' is every bit as bad as the atrocities bands like Dokken, HOL and Warrant inflicted on us with 'Shadowlife,' 'The power and the myth' and 'Belly to belly.' Maybe not quite as bad, but not far off.

Yeah, sorry mate. I'd agree that a few select bands like Slaughter never made a good CD

Just had to correct you there mate.

there's nothing on Pull to compare to the brilliance of songs like 'Pull Me Under', 'Always Within Me' or 'Witness' from Karma......those songs are just genius IMO,

Is your copy of 'Pull' missing 'Junkyard Dog,' 'Spell I'm under' and 'No man's land?'

ha ha, not even close mate. 'In My Veins' is the best song on Pull, and even that pales against a song like 'Witness'.

IMO of course.

Yeah, sorry mate. I'd agree that a few select bands like Tesla, Cinderella and Slaughter never made a bad CD, but to me Winger's 'IV' is every bit as bad as the atrocities bands like Dokken, HOL and Warrant inflicted on us with 'Shadowlife,' 'The power and the myth' and 'Belly to belly.' Maybe not quite as bad, but not far off.

Well I think IV is a really good album, and I think Belly to belly was great.

Cant really say anything about HOL as was never a fan, and Dokken even in their heyday never interested me more than a handful of songs here and there.

For me, the worst example of any of these type of bands would be Sven Gali, who released one stormingly brilliant album, and followed it with the biggest turd in the history of mankind.

Only reason I didnt mention Wildside is cause I actually liked a couple of songs on their follow up album.

IV certainly isnt on a par with any of their other releases, but its in no way the departure in sound that some people make it out to be.

Yes its darker and lacks any really guitar solos, but is certainly not the down tuned direction most of the other bands took. Great escape certainly stood out to me initially as a song that could have easily fitted on the earlier albums.

Yeah, sorry mate. I'd agree that a few select bands like Slaughter never made a good CD

Just had to correct you there mate.

It's not a correction when you are so obviously wrong.

Tim, you suck. ;) Slaughter were consistent as hell. Fan or not, they always made an album that appealed to their fans.

Glen, of course 'In my veins' pales in comparison to 'Witness.' But picking one of the weakest songs from 'Pull' and comparing it to one of the best on 'Karma' isn't really very fair. 'In my veins' is the best song on 'Pull?' lol, nice one mate. ;)

Captian H, yeah I agree that Sven Gali and (for me) Wildside were probably the two most criminal releases of the era. I was just looking for bands with similar length discographies to Winger. :) I don't really think the style of Winger's 'IV' was too similar to those grungy sell-out CDs (though it wasn't completely way off) but I did think the actual quality of the songs was every bit as dreadful as these types of CDs. Sorry doods, I love Winger but I just despise that CD.

you just can't beat Tim's joke on the Slaughter thing :D

cmon man, how can you survive 1995 without 'Fear No Evil', it's like the best hard rock album that came out on that goddamn year :christmas:

cmon man, how can you survive 1995 without 'Fear No Evil', it's like the best hard rock album that came out on that goddamn year :christmas:

I'm just messin'. I've never heard any Slaughter other than the disc that has that "Up All Night, Sleep All Day" thing on it. You know, the album where presumably the vocalist didn't show-up for the recordings so they had to drag a domestic cat in off the streets so they could repeatedly stamp on it and pretend it was Mark Slaughter singing? I personally hate them, but I respect that lots of people love them and I secretly quite enjoy winding people up by throwing in a few comments. Is all in jest...

Nb: "In My Veins" is NOT the best song on "Pull" by any means. All the first 3 songs are way better. I do think some of the tunes on the second-half are a touch samey (like "In for the Kill" and "No Man's Land") but there's no obvious filler. "Who's the One" is a stunning way to close too IMO, great vocals...

I'm just messin'. I've never heard any Slaughter other than the disc that has that "Up All Night, Sleep All Day" thing on it. You know, the album where presumably the vocalist didn't show-up for the recordings so they had to drag a domestic cat in off the streets so they could repeatedly stamp on it and pretend it was Mark Slaughter singing? I personally hate them, but I respect that lots of people love them and I secretly quite enjoy winding people up by throwing in a few comments. Is all in jest...

Nb: "In My Veins" is NOT the best song on "Pull" by any means. All the first 3 songs are way better. I do think some of the tunes on the second-half are a touch samey (like "In for the Kill" and "No Man's Land") but there's no obvious filler. "Who's the One" is a stunning way to close too IMO, great vocals...

Ha, we all like different songs eh??! Look, I like the first 3 tracks as well.....think I stated earlier that the first 4 are my favs, but I still don't think any of those songs are as good as the best on Karma. All down to personal taste I guess.

What is true tho is that Kip sounds a mile better on Pull, but then that's hardly surprising eh??

Ha, we all like different songs eh??! Look, I like the first 3 tracks as well.....think I stated earlier that the first 4 are my favs, but I still don't think any of those songs are as good as the best on Karma. All down to personal taste I guess.

What is true tho is that Kip sounds a mile better on Pull, but then that's hardly surprising eh??

I also don't play "Karma" as much as I could as it just doesn't sound that great on my car stereo. It is a decent stereo but some things just don't sound that great on it, and "Karma" sounds too rough - especially the vocals.

We have a new entry into the MR.com 100% club today: http://www.melodicrock.com/reviews/reviews.html

Night Ranger - Somewhere in California has scored 100%

I've got this one still sealed sitting next to my PC right now. Gonna give it a listen this afternoon and hear for myself the 100 percenty goodness! :beerbang:

We have a new entry into the MR.com 100% club today: http://www.melodicrock.com/reviews/reviews.html

I've got this one still sealed sitting next to my PC right now. Gonna give it a listen this afternoon and hear for myself the 100 percenty goodness! :beerbang:

I just listened to the entire new Night Ranger album.

If this one is worthy of 100% then MIDNIGHT MADNESS should have it's own chapter in the Bible somewhere after Psalms. I score it 70 at best.

I`m not a believer in albums getting 100% review scores but if something is good then it`s good, especially after repeated plays not just one, but that`s my opinion only :tumbsup:

If this one is worthy of 100% then MIDNIGHT MADNESS should have it's own chapter in the Bible somewhere after Psalms. I score it 70 at best.

:rofl2:

:rofl2:

x 2. I did enjoy that. :lol:

Well it's obviously not 100% album but it is bloody good!

Interesting comparing it to the early classic Night Ranger albums - all I would say is this. The 5 songs they played live sat perfectly against the songs from midnight madness, seven wishes etc & arguably they didn't play the best tracks!!

I would rate it close to 90% with maybe the classics in the mid 90s - great band & a great return to form for me!

As for the bible - I've read better more believable stories! ;-)

The 5 songs they played live sat perfectly against the songs from midnight madness, seven wishes etc & arguably they didn't play the best tracks!!

Wishful thinking mate, they played four. :tumbsup:

The 5 songs they played live sat perfectly against the songs from midnight madness, seven wishes etc & arguably they didn't play the best tracks!!

I was including LA No Name ;-)

I was including LA No Name ;-)

You`ve got me there mate, what a plonker I am :tumbsup::screwy::hammer:

• 2 months later...

OK, the recent furor over the 100% rating given to Journey's "Eclipse" got me to digging around to see what other titles have gotten a perfect rating from Andrew over the years, and here they are:

Mecca - S/T

Danger Danger-Cockroach

Danger Danger- The Return of the Great Gildersleeves

Harem Scarem- Higher

Harem Scarem- Weight of the World

TNT- My Religion

Toto- Falling in Between

W.E.T. - S/T

Treat - Coup De Grace

Mr. Big - What If...

Journey - Eclipse

So, simple question, are any of these worthy of a 100% in your opinion?

For that matter, do you think ANY CD is worth a perfect 100% score?

Sure. I've heard some records where, in my opinion, they couldn't possibly be made better. Eclipse, What If..., Coup de Grace, W.E.T., Falling in Between--to me--fits that category perfectly. And by the way, the vast majority of records he reviews doesn't get a 100%. While I wouldn't agree with all of thoses, they doesn't hand them out like candy. When he's given a 100%, I've generally come close to completely agreeing. Inversely, when he trashes a CD, it's usually because it IS crap. I've very rarely had a more similar feeling on a CD to the review of it versus when I've listened to it with anyone else's reviews. Just my honest opinion.

I don't pay too much attention to single reviews in most places, it is after all one persons opinion I prefer to check out the HH pages or reviews at Amazon e.t.c. to get a general feel. Too often in the past I've read a magazine review saying somethings crap and not bought it only to hear it later and thought it was brilliant and the opposite also applies, everyone may rave about an album - I grab it and it ends up as a coaster. Recently I bought Queensryches - Dedicated to Chaos and while there are a few real clunkers on it it's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting and I reckon it's pretty good....but I went and plumped for it after weighing up a number of good and bad reviews rather than just one opinion.

Plus there are certain people (expecially here at HH and Gdaze) who's views I respect and if they say something is good then I generally make a note to check it out. With the 100% reviews given out....a lot of time I put it down to pure enthusiasm for the music, on ocassion albums I've thought were excellent when I've bought them sometimes lose their appeal a few months down the line and I think true 100% albums reveal themselves over time and also may only be 100% to that particular person. Me Aerosmith Rocks 100% :lol: