The MR.com 100% club & perfect ratings in general

whiplash1972

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a big deal here. Just everyone's tastes are different. It's a damn fine album that rated 86% on 1st spin and gradually grew to a solid 92%. 100% is the ultimate disc. Is this it?

100% to me says "this is a damn fine album that I'm loving and will continue to love for a long time to come. There's nothing I'd change about it and recommend it to everyone."

I can say that with a 92% rating!!!! :rofl2::lol:

Yeah, to each their own. My simple take on it is that if every song on an album is 100% perfect, then the album deserves a 100% score. I'm yet to encounter this album, though I personally have rated Cauterize's 'So far from real' a 99%. Which is a heavy display for "to each their own."

For the record, I threw a 91% at Degreed.

I guess the difference between 5/5 or 10/10 scoring systems, and the M.R. method of giving a % out of 100, is why we are obsessed with it.

I usually accept 5 star ratings or 10/10 that you normally see everywhere, because it offers a rather limited scale to differentiate so easily, and can be treated a little more "casual". But having 100 points to play with presents a lot more opportunities for in-depth analysis and dropping points for the odd little fault here or there, so giving a perfect 100 could be taken less seriously and possibly even affect the credibility of the reviewing system as a whole.

That's probably why it generates discussion, and I can think of loads of albums that are brilliant and I'd play for a long time to come, but still wouldn't get 100% perfection.

Yeah you're right.
Anyone going to give a 9.9/10 as a rating?
5/10 9/10 10/10 - easy with whole numbers

Rating out of 5 is harder because many would see 4/5 as 80%

Yeah, to each their own. My simple take on it is that if every song on an album is 100% perfect, then the album deserves a 100% score. I'm yet to encounter this album, though I personally have rated Cauterize's 'So far from real' a 99%. Which is a heavy display for "to each their own."

+1 (except for the Cauterize comment)

This has been discussed to death here and of course is all opinion.

Some folk tend to rate an album 10/10 or 100% if they really love every song which is fine.

I (as does Geoff) tend to rate every song individually and not every song across the album can be an absolute killer - there will always be a lull somewhere and that's why (up until now), I've not encountered a 100% album.....pretty damned close, but not 100%.

That said this is a killer album and well worthy of a score around or in excess of 90%.

In fact lets just summarise : best album of 2015 so far

Is that easier ;-)

Some folk tend to rate an album 10/10 or 100% if they really love every song which is fine.

I (as does Geoff) tend to rate every song individually and not every song across the album can be an absolute killer - there will always be a lull somewhere and that's why (up until now), I've not encountered a 100% album.....pretty damned close, but not 100%.

That said this is a killer album and well worthy of a score around or in excess of 90%.

Is that easier ;-)

Agreed!

Is that easier ;-)

NOT the best for me.

err 100 ? 92 ? 91 ? definitely way too overrated, the correct answer is 83.3 :D

Many things overrated this year....this is not one of them.

100 = perfection, but 10/10 gives more room to move? What's perfection on that scale then? 11? 12?

Anyway, I'm happy with the scores I hand out. Very few 100s and very few over 95....mostly in the 70-89 range, which is solid album and important to fans of the artist.

If it's shit...I say so, that's the most important aspect.

All I know is that the 100% rating made me get off my ass I finally order the damn cd.

When I see a 100% on MR I don't expect it to become the greatest ever, but I know if I'm already a fan, I'm gonna love it.

100 = perfection, but 10/10 gives more room to move? What's perfection on that scale then? 11? 12?

You'll have to start giving out "This Is Spinal Tap" styled ratings... This one goes up to 11, because it's better than the one that got 10.

:D

Many things overrated this year....this is not one of them.

Overrated to me

I'm just happy Andrew has the ammunition album in this year. I want to include it in my best of 2015.

I'd say the trixter is 100 percent. Can't stop playing that one.

I'm just happy Andrew has the ammunition album in this year. I want to include it in my best of 2015.

Trixter would be close to 100% if i was rating the last 4 songs ;-)

Trixter would be close to 100% if i was rating the last 4 songs ;-)

'For you' itself chops about 10% off the score of that album...

Archived