The MR.com 100% club & perfect ratings in general

whiplash1972

i'm still confused with you guys not wanting to give an album a 100 ?

and beside, what difference does it make to give an album a 90 or 95 or 97 or 98 ? is it only to prove that nothing is perfect in this world :D

Vain's 'No respect' ; 11 track CD without 'Ready' and you're looking at 100% again. I don't dislike 'Ready' but it's not part of a 100% album.

But "Ready" is a great closing song for me. I love that tune. Sure it's probably the weakest of the bunch but I still think it's a great tune.

On your Bonfire comment what if "Sword and Stone" would of been on there? How great would of that been?

Warrant Dog Eat Dog is probably as close to a 100% as Warrant got and so is Cherry Pie I guess.

Really not any tunes on those first three I dislike.

Indeed, 'Ready' is a very cool song. And so is 'Mr Heartache' from Treat. I should have added that even though these songs keep the album from being 100% for me personally, I don't actually want these songs removed. I like them just fine and the albums just as they are. I just know I'd be lying to myself if I said the albums were 100% perfect when these songs could have been better in a perfect world. :) Not sure if that makes sense... hope it does. ;)

Good call on 'Sword & Stone' on that Bonfire CD. :)

Just listened to 'Dog eat dog' again and it reminded me of something very important to me when rating the worth of a CD. An album that gives you chills... that's a sign of perfection to me. Even 15 years after I first hear it, 'April 2031,' 'Andy Warhol was Right,' 'Hollywood (So Far, So Good),' 'All My Bridges are Burning,' 'Quicksand,' and 'Let It Rain' still give me chills today. Just because they're so utterly brilliant.

I love 'Cherry Pie' as much as the next guy and admit it's a close one, but I actually strongly dislike 'Train, Train' and I would actually prefer to have that removed from the album.

'DRFSR' is brilliant also, but '32 Pennies' and 'In the sticks' would keep that off the 100% mark for me. Again, I'd not take them off the CD but I couldn't rate the CD 100% with those two. :)

Haha, how picky am I? :lol: It'as just the way I roll, though.

I agree with everyone on how they do or do not rate an album 100% or not. Because as noted it's all personal taste. If someone is happy to rate a CD 100% for whatever reason, that's how they roll and I'm cool with it. Someone else's opinion and rating of an album shouldn't effect your own thoughts on a CD anyway, and vice versa. :)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I said before that I dont like to think of what if song a wasnt on the album and if song b was, I have to say that one of my favourite songs from Cherry Pie was sadly relegated to a single b-side (and later on the greatest hits), Thin disguise.

I actually like their cover of Train train, but thats the one that should have been the b-side track, not Thin disguise.

While I said before that I dont like to think of what if song a wasnt on the album and if song b was, I have to say that one of my favourite songs from Cherry Pie was sadly relegated to a single b-side (and later on the greatest hits), Thin disguise.

I actually like their cover of Train train, but thats the one that should have been the b-side track, not Thin disguise.

Oh yeah, backed. Good call. Using my theory above, take off 'Train train' and replace it with 'Thin disguise' (one of the best Warrant songs ever) and you have a 110% album! ;)

I think the band know that Thin disguise was worth more than being a b-side. Not only did the label add it to the best of, but it was one of the songs they re-recorded for their latest/greatest CD.

I honestly agree with you that it is one of their best songs ever.

My 100% albums:

Winger - Pull

Harem Scarem - S/T

Harem Scarem - Mood Swings

Jaded Heart - Journey Will Never End

Billy Squier - Don't Say No

WhiteSnake - Forevermore

Aldo Nova - Subject

Kansas - Leftoverture

Styx - Pieces of Eight

Rush - T4E

Genesis - Trick of the Tail

98-99% very close:

Brian Howe - Circus Bar

Journey - Frontiers

Def Leppard - Pyromania

WhiteSnake - Forevermore

Wow mate... just wow. To each their own... but wowser! ;)

Winger's 'Pull' is one of those albums I always wanted to give 100% too. It just has that perfect sound - an immaculate blend of heavy and melodic. Guitarwork is out of this world, lyrics are brilliant, vocals are great... the songs are just stunning in places. 'The lucky one' and 'Who's the one' keep it away from that perfect score for me, but I can totally appreciate a mega high rating for this one.

WhiteSnake - Forevermore

Winger's 'Pull' is one of those albums I always wanted to give 100% too. It just has that perfect sound - an immaculate blend of heavy and melodic. Guitarwork is out of this world, lyrics are brilliant, vocals are great... the songs are just stunning in places. 'The lucky one' and 'Who's the one' keep it away from that perfect score for me, but I can totally appreciate a mega high rating for this one.

"Who's the One" is amazing IMO and "Lucky One" is great too.

Whitesnake "Forevermore" I'd put around 90% and I love it but I still think "Good To Be Bad" is a little better.

Who's the one is one of my fave songs on Pull. Just behind Junkyard dog and Down incognito in fact.

I have to say, the Forevermore rating stunned me as well as I didnt think it was a patch on 1987, even though its a good release. It's all good though as we all have our own faves.

WhiteSnake - Forevermore

Whitesnake "Forevermore" I'd put around 90% and I love it but I still think "Good To Be Bad" is a little better.

Again, the two Winger songs are not songs I'd actually want removed from the CD - I like it as it is. But they're not two songs that I'd consider perfect or worthy of 100%. I don't mind either, but not a huge fan of either also.

Haha, I'd put the Whitesnake CD around the 60% mark at absolute best. Not too bad, and I think about 60% is an admirable score for it.

Who's the one is one of my fave songs on Pull. Just behind Junkyard dog and Down incognito in fact.

I have to say, the Forevermore rating stunned me as well as I didnt think it was a patch on 1987, even though its a good release. It's all good though as we all have our own faves.

Yeah, I have actually tried through the years to dig 'Who's the one,' but no, just never clicked for me. I don't know what it is, the vibe just doesn't gel with me. The song plain and simply does not interest me. :(

WhiteSnake - Forevermore

Again, the two Winger songs are not songs I'd actually want removed from the CD - I like it as it is. But they're not two songs that I'd consider perfect or worthy of 100%. I don't mind either, but not a huge fan of either also.

Haha, I'd put the Whitesnake CD around the 60% mark at absolute best. Not too bad, and I think about 60% is an admirable score for it.

the 60% is probably because you don't like anything with bluesy or classic rock feel or non-commercial stuff ? i think i saw you rate Badlands, Led Zeppelin, early Whitesnake, with that mark while I think most of them are in the upper 85-90 for me

i guess the new Whitesnake after 3-4 spins will end up around 80 or 85 from me,

and that also the same with Mr.Big - What If, which you also rate around 40 or 50 i guess

but that's the dynamic of personal taste :D

WhiteSnake - Forevermore

the 60% is probably because you don't like anything with bluesy or classic rock feel or non-commercial stuff ? i think i saw you rate Badlands, Led Zeppelin, early Whitesnake, with that mark while I think most of them are in the upper 85-90 for me

i guess the new Whitesnake after 3-4 spins will end up around 80 or 85 from me,

and that also the same with Mr.Big - What If, which you also rate around 40 or 50 i guess

but that's the dynamic of personal taste :D

I hate classic rock, but I don't always hate bluesy stuff, especially if done well. I love Great White. Badlands, Led Zep and early Whitesnake definitely all rate very poorly for me... nowhere near 60%. Well, Badlands' debut I'd give 60% but not what I've heard from Led Zep or early Whitensnake.

I got distracted before, but I meant to agree with Sir Howdy, that I personally don't think the new Whitesnake CDs are anything even close to what '1987' and 'Slip of the tongue' were, so I'd personally be rating those two a lot higher.

But end of the day, to each their own. Mr Big are the same every time - too many fillers (except 'Lean into it') to ever deserve much more than 50-60%... imo of course. :)

I'm a bit of a jack of all trades with music, so I like a bit of nearly every style including bluesy stuff, but with a band like Whitesnake I prefer their hair metal era to their bluesy stuff, and its only natural to judge a bands album on their previous output.

I know on here there are quite a few people who prefer the early blues era Whitesnake, so I agree that those people will possibly rate Forevermore higher than me or Geoff, but then again, I dont think Forevermore is that bluesy.

Its a combination of the bluesy era and the hair metal era. I think though being that its a combination will probably find more favour with those that are early Whitesnake fans because its got crossover appeal, whereas the hair metal fans will probably think its a step backward from the material they like.

I dont mind the early Snake stuff, but it just never excited me the way 1987, Slip of the tongue and Slide it in (to a lesser extent) did.

A lot of love for Winger-Pull on here.....while I like it, the best rating I could give it would be 80%...In The Heart of The Young on the other hand would be closer to 90%.....

Backed - I also prefer 'Karma' - awesome album!!

These are 100% albums for me, I can't think of any more at the moment:

Crimson Glory - Transcendence

Blue Murder - s/t

Bolt Thrower - IVth Crusade

All perfect albums imo.

I'm a bit of a jack of all trades with music, so I like a bit of nearly every style including bluesy stuff, but with a band like Whitesnake I prefer their hair metal era to their bluesy stuff, and its only natural to judge a bands album on their previous output.

I know on here there are quite a few people who prefer the early blues era Whitesnake, so I agree that those people will possibly rate Forevermore higher than me or Geoff, but then again, I dont think Forevermore is that bluesy.

Its a combination of the bluesy era and the hair metal era. I think though being that its a combination will probably find more favour with those that are early Whitesnake fans because its got crossover appeal, whereas the hair metal fans will probably think its a step backward from the material they like.

Yeah, I should add that I don't think 'Forevermore' is average because it's "too bluesy." It's average because the songs just aren't that good, imo, regardless of what style they are. Whitesnake, Blue Murder and Kingdom Come have done equally "bluesy" albums in the past that I have liked just fine... because the songs were good. I just don't think there's much goodness going on on the new Whitesnake CD. :)

• 2023 Gold Donors

Agreed,BFTA is 100 all the way anything less than a 100 for that gem is an insult.Perfect album.Id even put Under Lock and Key up in the upper 90's.

As far as the other albums listed i wouldn't wipe my ass with any of those.Sorry.

A lot of love for Winger-Pull on here.....while I like it, the best rating I could give it would be 80%...In The Heart of The Young on the other hand would be closer to 90%.....

I thought In the Heart of the Young had some of the all-time best Winger tunes, but it also had some total dross (most of the tracks towards the end, except the title-track) so would rate about 80% for me. "Karma" is about 80% too as it doesn't quite have the standout tunes of their first 3 albums, even if it's more consistent. "Pull" isn't totally flawless but it is where they really found their sound IMO and left behind the cheesier-sounding first two discs and the soppy ballads. Plus it was easily their best produced disc and sounds stunning to this day. I'd rate it about 95%.

For me the first two Winger albums are great, and on a par with eachother. Some great tunes on both, and a few tracks that are ok but not as strong as the others.

Pull was the first album by them that made me go "Wow" and loved from start to finish. Karma I initially though was just behind Pull, but more I listen to it, the more I think its equal to Pull.

I'd actually say that the double header of Deal with the devil and Stone cold killer are better than anything on Pull, despite my love of songs like Junkyard dog and Down incognito.

The only thing that annoys me with Karma is that annoying bonus track on the European version.

Funnily enough though, like Warrant with Thin disguise, one of the best Winger songs for me didnt even make the albums, Battle stations.

Just for the record, I actually really like IV as well, but it just isnt as good as any of their other albums.

I thought In the Heart of the Young had some of the all-time best Winger tunes, but it also had some total dross (most of the tracks towards the end, except the title-track) so would rate about 80% for me. "Karma" is about 80% too as it doesn't quite have the standout tunes of their first 3 albums, even if it's more consistent. "Pull" isn't totally flawless but it is where they really found their sound IMO and left behind the cheesier-sounding first two discs and the soppy ballads. Plus it was easily their best produced disc and sounds stunning to this day. I'd rate it about 95%.

If this were a page I'd write the prologue and epilogue and then give you a high five and say we're on the same page.

Because, yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at too. Love the first two albums, but 'Pull' was clearly in a different league to them in every way imaginable. Just lyrically alone it was a whole new beast, before you even get into how much more immense it sounded both musically and production-wise. I'm also a huge fan of 'Karma,' to the point where I probably just slightly prefer it to the first two... for, like Tim says, it's consistency.

IMHO, Karma is definitely their best disc because it encompasses all the good things from s/t to IV, and I even doubt they can create anything better than that, well if there's any, then it must be the beyond-human capability Kip possesses that we don't know yet :christmas:

because it encompasses all the good things from s/t to IV

I didn't know there was anything good from 'IV' at all. Except maybe the sound of me excluding it from my CD collection. ;)

If this were a page I'd write the prologue and epilogue and then give you a high five and say we're on the same page.

Because, yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at too. Love the first two albums, but 'Pull' was clearly in a different league to them in every way imaginable. Just lyrically alone it was a whole new beast, before you even get into how much more immense it sounded both musically and production-wise. I'm also a huge fan of 'Karma,' to the point where I probably just slightly prefer it to the first two... for, like Tim says, it's consistency.

My favourite tracks on 'Pull' are definitely the first 4....some in the second half do tend to drag a little for my liking.

As I said on numerous occasions there's nothing on Pull to compare to the brilliance of songs like 'Pull Me Under', 'Always Within Me' or 'Witness' from Karma......those songs are just genius IMO, and turned me back onto Winger after I lost all faith in them after their APPALLING performance at Firefest.